• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Can a white person understand what it's like to be a black person?

Can a white person understand what it's like to be a black person?

• Total voters
Don't take it too personal, these leftwingers have bought into this crap, hook line and sinker.

The "crap" that the dominant American culture is white culture stemming from our founding? That we still have to deal with the legacy of slavery? That history doesn't matter? It is not that all whites are racist. But our culture has not purged itself of all prejudices which stem from our founding. And blacks can't erase their history in our country from their collective memory nor should they.

"Can a white person understand what it's like to be a black person?"

It's a foolish and capricious question, first of all.

You may as well ask, "Can an apple know what it's like to be a hand-grenade?"
"Can a cat understand what's it's like to be a one-legged dachshund?"
or,
"Can a young person understand what it's like to be a dead person?"

The left and right limits of human cognition, capacity for learning, intellect, education, accumulation of knowledge and wisdom, cultural influences, geographical considerations, they are staggeringly-wide.

Before I can even decide if I care to ponder the original question, I would need to parse and striate about fifteen dozen variables regarding the hypothetical white person, and an equal number regarding the hypothetical black person.

Hold your hand up;
Does any other white person here on these boards, or any other black person on these boards, find this entire discussion vaguely insulting?
Should all white people be content to be lumped into this overly-simplistic box over here, and all the black people perfectly content to be poured into that overly-simplistic box over there?

Christ on a popsicle stick, what a vapid, useless, and utterly-tiresome notion.
:thumb down:

Oh no. The "disgruntled" black masses need to decide if they want to be American or not. If NOT.

Off to Liberia. James Monroe style.

You define them as "disgruntled masses". Maybe they desire to be treated as equals.

You sound disgruntled. Ready to move?

You define them as "disgruntled masses". Maybe they desire to be treated as equals.

You sound disgruntled. Ready to move?

Let me put myself in a black persons shoes like you want me to do. Hmm ? Liberia....let's see...

Nope, I don't want to move there. Why ? There is no FREE STUFF from whitey there. Nobody cares if I'm a perpetual victim of the white power system in Liberia, because there is none.

Sorry, not moving. I want to keep getting my free stuff from guilty whitey.

Last edited:
So you seem to be saying that our country is trying to do the impossible. People from various cultures and backgrounds can't possible live together peacefully because like kinds are best with like kinds. For example, Irish with Irish, Polish with Polish, Italians with Italians. Is that your vision of our country?

You say you are past the point of caring but so what? Our founders brought blacks into this country as slaves and we are left with the aftermath. We have to solve the problem together. Blacks are Americans and belong here and are free to live where they choose just as any other American. If you have a problem with that, you need to look at your own values and decide if you really want to be an American.

The OBVIOUS difference, of course, is that the Italians, the Germans, the Irish, the Viet Namese, the Cambodians(an God know how many other races and ethnicities) WANTED TO ASSIMILATE. There are blacks in this country who still insist that the ONLY reason they are in America is because they were brought here as slaves in the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries. Heck, after 200 years, even a guy as stupid as I am could have found a way to go to a country where I was respected and appreciated for the content of my character, and not just put up with because I made a good elevator operator. The party is over. The jig's up. The excuses have fallen on the last caring ear. We don't care about losers and leaches anymore. If Barack H. Obama can go to Columbia and Harvard, anybody can. Get it? IF BARACK H. OBAMA can go to Harvard, ANYBODY can!(unless, of course, you can prove to me that blacks aren't as smart as Lil' Barry)

The OBVIOUS difference, of course, is that the Italians, the Germans, the Irish, the Viet Namese, the Cambodians(an God know how many other races and ethnicities) WANTED TO ASSIMILATE. There are blacks in this country who still insist that the ONLY reason they are in America is because they were brought here as slaves in the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries. Heck, after 200 years, even a guy as stupid as I am could have found a way to go to a country where I was respected and appreciated for the content of my character, and not just put up with because I made a good cleaning lady. The party is over. The jig's up. The excuses have fallen on the last caring ear. We don't care about losers and leaches anymore. If Barack H. Obama can go to Columbia and Harvard, anybody can. Get it? IF BARACK H. OBAMA can go to Harvard, ANYBODY can!(unless, of course, you can prove to me that blacks aren't as smart as Lil' Barry)

So they should just brush aside their history in this country and we should ignore the fact that whites didn't want blacks to assimilate and did everything they could to prevent it.

Let me put myself in a black persons shoes like you want me to do. Hmm ? Liberia....let's see...

Nope, I don't want to move there. Why ? There is no FREE STUFF from whitey there. Nobody cares if I'm a perpetual victim of the white power system in Liberia, because there is none.

Sorry, not moving.

You can't speak for black people. You have no idea what you are talking about.

You can't speak for black people. You have no idea what you are talking about.

You ask me to try to understand, and when I do you tell me that there is no way that I can. We need to find another way to speak on this as this angle is going nowhere.

You ask me to try to understand, and when I do you tell me that there is no way that I can. We need to find another way to speak on this as this angle is going nowhere.

You aren't funny.

Does anyone have any solution to the problem? Or shall we all pretend to be politicians and talk it to death.

I understand that we are out ideas.

So they should just brush aside their history in this country and we should ignore the fact that whites didn't want blacks to assimilate and did everything they could to prevent it.

You can do anything you like. You can level blame on anybody you like. You can live in the past forever. That decision is yours.

I prefer not to live that way. I want every American to start carrying his or her own weight. Everybody in the boat must row. Nobody gets to sit around watching the others doing all the work while doing nothing. This is America where EVERYBODY is EXPECTED to do their share. You know what the real problem is? Blacks are trying to rewrite the rulebook.

Good f***ing luck!

You aren't funny.

Not funny ? Ok here's a joke for you.

What do a fat girl and a moped have in common ?

They are both fun to ride...until your friends see you.

Now that's funny !

Not funny ? Ok here's a joke for you.

What do a fat girl and a moped have in common ?

They are both fun to ride...until your friends see you.

Now that's funny !

My girlfriend still likes the "motorboat" and "bumblebee". :2razz:

825871._UY200_.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Like_Me

The "crap" that the dominant American culture is white culture stemming from our founding? That we still have to deal with the legacy of slavery? That history doesn't matter? It is not that all whites are racist. But our culture has not purged itself of all prejudices which stem from our founding. And blacks can't erase their history in our country from their collective memory nor should they.

That's a pipe dream that only idiots think we can achieve. But then again it perfect for the race hustling business.

You can do anything you like. You can level blame on anybody you like. You can live in the past forever. That decision is yours.

I prefer not to live that way. I want every American to start carrying his or her own weight. Everybody in the boat must row. Nobody gets to sit around watching the others doing all the work while doing nothing. This is America where EVERYBODY is EXPECTED to do their share. You know what the real problem is? Blacks are trying to rewrite the rulebook.

Good f***ing luck!

The Blacks are just a tool used by the elites(and their minions) who want to change the rules.

Actually, as it started most didn't want them to assimilate, with some just plain not and some just not wanting to live with them (peaceful separation). But over time some folks wanted them to assimilate and live equally, and some didn't. It's the social evolution of our society and the world in general.

Now, they've been assimilated and in fact created their own very American flavored subculture built on racial common history.

Good f***ing luck!

Wow your cluelessness is mind boggling. You assume that the weight a person is asked to carry is equal, no it isn't. You assume that if they are not "Successfully" carrying that weight it's because they are not trying/working hard enough,no again...the weight is disproportionate, and not in a ....we all have our own burdens to bear and life is not fair so just be a grown up and deal with it kind of way but in a but in a my neighbors are dumping their **** on my back and expecting me to carry it without complaint too kind of way. Good grief, privileged much?

Actually, as it started most didn't want them to assimilate, with some just plain not and some just not wanting to live with them (peaceful separation). But over time some folks wanted them to assimilate and live equally, and some didn't. It's the social evolution of our society and the world in general.

Now, they've been assimilated and in fact created their own very American flavored subculture built on racial common history.

What I find profoundly troubling and also ironic is the trendy demand for "safe spaces," which is a soft segregation. This can't be good for society.

Wow your cluelessness is mind boggling. You assume that the weight a person is asked to carry is equal, no it isn't. You assume that if they are not "Successfully" carrying that weight it's because they are not trying/working hard enough,no again...the weight is disproportionate, and not in a ....we all have our own burdens to bear and life is not fair so just be a grown up and deal with it kind of way but in a but in a my neighbors are dumping their **** on my back and expecting me to carry it without complaint too kind of way. Good grief, privileged much?

Thank for your penetrating reply. Your creative assessment is quite stimulating.

Back
Top Bottom