• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Can a white person understand what it's like to be a black person?

• Total voters
I sense the direction of your question. With your permission, allow me to redirect the question: "Can a poor, uneducated white person understand what it is like to be a rich, Harvard educated black person?"

You mean like the president who was elected by racist white people--twice?

Can a black person understand what it's like to be a white person?

It is hard to think of others when one is so deeply immersed in self-pity and victimhood.

Really, mainly white Christian, Puritan, and slave based.
You have inherited systemic racism that has been ongoing for far more than decades. And done very little to address it.

So I'm racist because over a century ago people were racist. Oh. And I like how you threw Christian in there, as if that matters at all given that Christianity was a major driving force in abolition globally...not just state side.

**** that. I didn't inherit ****. I don't give a **** what color someone is.

You mean like the president who was elected by racist white people--twice?

Guilt is easy to sell to the masses. Your example provides ample evidence.

So I'm racist because over a century ago people were racist. Oh. And I like how you threw Christian in there, as if that matters at all given that Christianity was a major driving force in abolition globally...not just state side.

Did I say you were racist? What else did i say that was historically wrong?

You certainly think you can understand what it's like to be a black person. You seem to know what kind of environment they enjoy. What else do you know about black people? Anything positive?

I don't understand what it's like to be a black person and I am past the point of caring. What I do see is that it's not working for blacks OR whites here in America. The time for nice platitudes is over and it is time for the separation of the races. NO HATE ! Just the realization that like kinds are best with like kinds.

See how cool Monrovia is !

Can a black person understand what it's like to be a white person?

Well, a whole lot of black people say that white people don't/can't understand what it's like to be black, so by that standard, they don't know what it's like to be white, either.

Did I say you were racist? What else did i say that was historically wrong?

Racism isn't systemic. Racism is something a person can be. The "system" isn't racist. The system is about money.

Still not the same thing because when push comes to shove, he is still not black and will be pulled over less frequently, he will be jailed less frequently (statistically) and he will have less risk of being shot by the police. He will also be discriminated less because when it comes to most things in life, even though he lives in a mostly black area, he still isn't black and will be treated differently (read more advantageous) than a black person will be treated.

Ha, that's a laugh. I actually had cops pull me over and tell me that it was because of how I looked. This older cop with gray hair said I fit a profile, and that's why he stopped me. If I'd been black, he probably wouldn't have said that. I wasn't arrested that day because I hadn't done anything wrong. I wasn't beaten or killed that day because I didn't try to fight or run.

I get the feeling that a lot of race theory that white liberals believe in are just hypothetical situations that they've never actually experienced.

Yes . . . understanding is a matter of applying logic and reason to new information and coming to a point where everything makes sense and it comprehended.

That's not the same as living someone's life or being in their shoes.

A person with understanding will comprehend another person's views, lifestyle, values, opinions.

A non-race example: Someone who is special needs needs other people who are not special needs to understand them so they can assist, help, and know when to back off - thus making it possible for that person to grow in a positive direction in life.

Racism isn't systemic. Racism is something a person can be. The "system" isn't racist. The system is about money.
Really, 1964 Civil rights, the south went Repub after that, and ditched the Dems. Giving rights and protecting them under laws were rejected by a substantial number of US Citizens.
Why is that? No racism existed? Care to answer that?
So not about money, about power. Purely POWER

Redlining for housing loans, carried on and still does today.
Housing - HUD -Still to this day, after the 68 riots maintains segregation.
Yet this is a Fed Org that provides funds to cities.

George Romney tried to change it 48 years ago.
Then we have had recent initiatives by the present admin along the same lines, and people go all to hell.
You have a systemic race problem. From banking, housing loans, justice system, police, to Republicans redistricting to remove voter power from Blacks.

Forbes Welcome

At Myrtle Beach, Romney praised the program for its ability to “cut out all this red tape” and hand over decision-making to local governance. But the project was Nixon’s, not his. By then, Romney’s signature initiative at HUD—spurring housing integration across major U.S. cities—was dead. The Nixon White House had roundly rejected it. The decision marked an end to Romney’s political career and, with it, an expansionary national approach to urban policy.

Stepping into office, Romney, a liberal Republican, moved to continue several of the initiatives set under President Johnson’s Great Society. He tried to keep up the “Model Cities” plan, which Nixon summarily squashed as Federal overreach. He tried to implement Johnson’s birthing of mortgage-backed securities, to mixed results.

But Romney also took HUD in new directions. He brought in Daniel Patrick Moynihan, a political chameleon, to sit on the newly formed Council on Urban Affairs. More importantly, he brought a deep concern for, almost obsessions with, racial segregation. In his 1968 book, The Concerns of a Citizen, he asserted that “economic and social distance is increased by racial distance.” At one point, in language reminiscent of Saul Alinksy (an acquaintance), he warns of

the mounting danger of hostile confrontation between an achieving society and a dependent society—suburb against slum, prosperous against poor, white against black, brother against brother.

And that would be the death of America.

Can a man understand what it's like to be woman or a gay person to be straight? Can a poor person understand the lives of the rich or vice Versa. Can a non zombie understand the life of a zombie? Can a brunette understand a blonde? We are humans with struggles, some more than others but I know just as many white people who had horrible lives so get over the whole topic. It goes no where in my humble opinion.

Guilt is easy to sell to the masses. Your example provides ample evidence.

I'll give you that as I have much guilt for voting for this man once! But pride that I wasn't fooled twice!

Can a man understand what it's like to be woman or a gay person to be straight? Can a poor person understand the lives of the rich or vice Versa. Can a non zombie understand the life of a zombie? Can a brunette understand a blonde? We are humans with struggles, some more than others but I know just as many white people who had horrible lives so get over the whole topic. It goes no where in my humble opinion.

Really- How would you be if this was you?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...hp-top-table-main_bullets-only:homepage/story

MINNEAPOLIS — When Philando Castile saw the flashing lights in his rearview mirror the night he got shot, it wasn’t unusual. He had been pulled over at least 52 times in recent years in and around the Twin Cities and given citations for minor offenses including speeding, driving without a muffler and not wearing a seat belt.

He was assessed at least $6,588 in fines and fees, although more than half of the total 86 violations were dismissed, court records show.

Was Castile an especially bad driver or just unlucky? Or was he targeted by officers who single out black motorists like him for such stops, as several of his family members have alleged?

The answer may never be known, but Castile’s stop for a broken tail light Wednesday ended with him fatally shot by a suburban St. Paul police officer, and Castile’s girlfriend livestreaming the chilling aftermath.

I'm curious! Why does Barack Hussein Obama self identify as a black person? Is he ashamed of being half white? Do you think he understands what it is like to be a white person? Or, for that matter, do you think he understands what it is like to be a black person?

I'll give you that as I have much guilt for voting for this man once! But pride that I wasn't fooled twice!

Was Obama supposed to wave a magic wand and racism would g Poof?

Was Obama supposed to wave a magic wand and racism would g Poof?

That is ridiculous post and no one thought this.

Don't take it too personal, these leftwingers have bought into this crap, hook line and sinker.

Absolutely. To say otherwise is to stereotype an entire people by race.

Blame the Poratugese they were among the first. Muslims go way back and are still doing it.

I have no solution to the problems other than to take advantage of the education offered, stay out of trouble, work for a living, and have your kids with one woman and stay married to her.

I don't understand what it's like to be a black person and I am past the point of caring. What I do see is that it's not working for blacks OR whites here in America. The time for nice platitudes is over and it is time for the separation of the races. NO HATE ! Just the realization that like kinds are best with like kinds.

See how cool Monrovia is !

So you seem to be saying that our country is trying to do the impossible. People from various cultures and backgrounds can't possible live together peacefully because like kinds are best with like kinds. For example, Irish with Irish, Polish with Polish, Italians with Italians. Is that your vision of our country?

You say you are past the point of caring but so what? Our founders brought blacks into this country as slaves and we are left with the aftermath. We have to solve the problem together. Blacks are Americans and belong here and are free to live where they choose just as any other American. If you have a problem with that, you need to look at your own values and decide if you really want to be an American.

So you seem to be saying that our country is trying to do the impossible. People from various cultures and backgrounds can't possible live together peacefully because like kinds are best with like kinds. For example, Irish with Irish, Polish with Polish, Italians with Italians. Is that your vision of our country?

You say you are past the point of caring but so what? Our founders brought blacks into this country as slaves and we are left with the aftermath. We have to solve the problem together. Blacks are Americans and belong here and are free to live where they choose just as any other American. If you have a problem with that, you need to look at your own values and decide if you really want to be an American.

Oh no. The "disgruntled" black masses need to decide if they want to be American or not. If NOT.

Off to Liberia. James Monroe style.

Back
Top Bottom