• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Can a person who has have an abortion be "Pro Life"?

Yes, they can.

How many different realities will Loki owe child support in???

Child Support is not the problem... it is when somebody is buy bagels...

I never thought I would "flip flop" on an issue like I have here.

On one hand, I know even if abortion became illegal, woman would still have them. On the other hand, people commit murder also, so should we make that legal too?

And is abortion actually safer than child birth?

On one hand, I know even if abortion became illegal, woman would still have them. On the other hand, people commit murder also, so should we make that legal too?

Murder harms non consenting people.

Many times safer:

CONCLUSION: Legal induced abortion is markedly safer
than childbirth. The risk of death associated with childbirth is approximately 14 times higher than that with
abortion. Similarly, the overall morbidity associated with
childbirth exceeds that with abortion

http://unmfamilyplanning.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/119312553/Raymond et al-Comparative Safety.pdf

The difference is that women are the moral agent when it comes to abortion and our individual decisions are morally justified.

Just like killing in self-defense, war, assisted suicide, pulling the plug, the death penalty, etc.

Not everyone agrees that these types of killings are moral, but as a society and based on our legal foundation, abortion is a moral and responsible act. (Polls always show that Americans solidly support elective abortion).

Murder illegally takes someone's right to life. The unborn do not have that right. Not morally (to protect it against a woman's will is immoral), and not legally.

Abortion safer than giving birth: study - Reuters

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Getting a legal abortion is much safer than giving birth, suggests a new U.S. study published Monday.

Researchers found that women were about 14 times more likely to die during or after giving birth to a live baby than to die from complications of an abortion.

"Getting a legal abortion is much safer than giving birth, suggests a new U.S. study published Monday.

Researchers found that women were about 14 times more likely to die during or after giving birth to a live baby than to die from complications of an abortion".

That statement is very misleading!

The message is, that getting an abortion and giving birth are both safe, said Dr. Anne Davis, who studies obstetrics and gynecology
at the Columbia University Medical Center in New York, and wasn’t involved in the new study.

“We wouldn’t tell people, ‘Don’t have a baby because it’s safer to have an abortion’ — that’s ridiculous,” she told Reuters Health.
“We’re trying to help women who are having all reproductive experiences know what to expect.”

Please don't post misleading statements like that!!

"Getting a legal abortion is much safer than giving birth, suggests a new U.S. study published Monday.

Researchers found that women were about 14 times more likely to die during or after giving birth to a live baby than to die from complications of an abortion".

The message is, that getting an abortion and giving birth are both safe, said Dr. Anne Davis, who studies obstetrics and gynecology
at the Columbia University Medical Center in New York, and wasn’t involved in the new study.

“We wouldn’t tell people, ‘Don’t have a baby because it’s safer to have an abortion’ — that’s ridiculous,” she told Reuters Health.
“We’re trying to help women who are having all reproductive experiences know what to expect.”

It answered your question directly.

Are you disputing that abortion is 14 times safer?

The article stated that "getting an abortion and giving birth are both safe" your statement was misleading. It may be true, but you left out a very important statement...

The article stated that "getting an abortion and giving birth are both safe" your statement was misleading. It may be true, but you left out a very important statement...

I left nothing out, I provided the direct answer to your question.

More than 700 women die/yr in the US from preg/childbirth. And over 50,000 more nearly do/suffer extreme health issues, like aneurysm, stroke, kidney failure, pre-eclampsia, etc.

It's not predictable and obviously not preventable. Every pregnancy presents a significant risk to a woman. It is much less safe than abortion (14 times less....actual data)

Why didn't you use the quote feature? Were you hoping Lursa & I wouldn't see your reply and destroy it?

YOU asked if abortion is safer than childbirth. I replied. Legal abortion IS safer than childbirth. The choice of which to do about an unwanted pregnancy is the pregnant woman's.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom