• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Can a landlord forbid gun ownership in his apartment complex?

Consistency is the key. If the landlord is allowed to discriminate, then it should be universal. At that point...let capitalism rule. People dont want to live there, then they wont. They also cant randomly change rules.
I don't understand why would a landlord even care if you legally have a gun.

Cuz they are ideologically driven morons? A lot of people like that sacrifice that whole 'thinking' thing.

I understand where you are coming from, but an apartment is no the same as a home.
A "home" is not a kind of land or building. As someone who lives in an apartment, yes, it is my "home" while it is not my property. While working in Oklahoma my hotel room is my "home" even-though I don't own it, and yes I have the right to be armed while in my hotel room and around the property. I have a few buddies who rent campers, and their campers are their "home" even-though it's not their property, neither the camper or the lot they rent to put it on, and they also have the right to be armed.

It's no different than them saying you can't smoke in your apartment, can't have a pet in your apartment, and other issues.
It's very different. There is no right to smoke or own a pet.

At that point it also comes down to the ethics of the tenant. You sign a lease agreement and know what is spelled out in it, you should abide by it.
Why would I? What we're talking about is legal, does not harm your property or bother the neighbors...you just don't like it for reasons you refuse to disclose (which adds to the hostility). I walk past no-gun signs because in SD they have no legal weight (since the owner can already ask an invitee to leave anyway, there's no need for a special sign law), so why would I worry about your personal policy?

When we both go in front of the judge, my layer is going to argue that complying with your policy damages me by placing me at greater risk of being the victim of crime. What damage are you going to seek relief for?

My apartment stipulates concealed-carry only while on the property so no one get's all hot and bothered at the sign of a gun. They also proffer that rifles being carried to and from cars be in a case, or with an obvious safety device on them. That's fine, that's outside and that's like telling a tenant not to change their oil in the parking lot or store damaged cars on the property.

But a complete ban is retarded.

Last edited:
A "home" is not a kind of land or building. As someone who lives in an apartment, yes, it is my "home" while it is not my property. While working in Oklahoma my hotel room is my "home" even-though I don't own it, and yes I have the right to be armed while in my hotel room and around the property. I have a few buddies who rent campers, and their campers are their "home" even-though it's not their property, neither the camper or the lot they rent to put it on, and they also have the right to be armed.

It's very different. There is no right to smoke or own a pet.

Why would I? What we're talking about is legal, does not harm your property or bother the neighbors...you just don't like it for reasons you refuse to disclose (which adds to the hostility). I walk past no-gun signs because in SD they have no legal weight (since the owner can already ask an invitee to leave anyway, there's no need for a special sign law), so why would I worry about your personal policy?

When we both go in front of the judge, what damage are you going to seek relief for?

Once again, I am FOR guns. But at the same time, if you sign a lease that says you can't have guns, you should honor that or look elsewhere for residency.

Once again, I am FOR guns.
That's immaterial to the conversation. I don't care what your position on guns is. It doesn't matter.

But at the same time, if you sign a lease that says you can't have guns, you should honor that or look elsewhere for residency.
Why would I honor something like that? You're asking me to uproot, to disrupt the history of stable residency I've been trying to build for child-custody reasons, to temporally invalidate my various permits while they're all sent in for an address update, to change my "home of record" with the Army which in turn can change the unit I'm assigned to and the job I do in the Army...all because you simply dislike guns.

That's bull****. I'm not honoring that.

Last edited:
In Texas, one of these signs might do the trick for the apartment owners.

View attachment 67151744

TexasCHLforum.com • View topic - Signs for the CHLer
I saw a website for people to take pics and post them of companies that are anti 2A.
Outside of Walgreens, I refuse to do business at a place that wants unarmed potential victims.
The company that financed my truck had a sign like that, after a couple letters from me and others that there will be no future business with them. The office closed.

Liability.

Look at the Zimmerman case, the HOA and Insurance company made a huge settlement because the death occurred in a common area.

>>>>

Once again, I am FOR guns. But at the same time, if you sign a lease that says you can't have guns, you should honor that or look elsewhere for residency.
You cannot be forced to sign a way a right.
A property management company cannont dictate what parts of the BoR they will follow.

Liability.

Look at the Zimmerman case, the HOA and Insurance company made a huge settlement because the death occurred in a common area.

>>>>
No they caved into political pressure.
People die at apartment complexes every day.

Liability.

>>>>
So require tenants to have self-defense insurance just like my apartment requires me to have renter's insurance (and you have to have maximum coverage if you own a water-bed or an aquarium).

Everyone gets what they want. Problem = solved.

That's immaterial to the conversation. I don't care what your position on guns is. It doesn't matter.

Why would I honor something like that? You're asking me to uproot, to disrupt the history of stable residency I've been trying to build for child-custody reasons, to temporally invalidate my various permits while they're all sent in for an address update, to change my "home of record" with the Army which in turn can change the unit I'm assigned to and the job I do in the Army...all because you simply dislike guns.

That's bull****. I'm not honoring that.

Ok, I don't think you understand my point. I'm not talking about landlords that all of a sudden decide no guns, I'm talking about ones that have the policy before you ever talk to them. If you don't like the policy, find somewhere else, don't sign the lease. That is what I am saying. No need to get so defensive, good grief.

A property management company cannont dictate what parts of the BoR they will follow.

The Bill of Rights does not give the right to bear arms on someone else's property. Just like it doesn't give you the right to be on their property. :shrug:

As a gun owner, I have no issue with this, so long as it is laid out at the time the lease is signed. The issue in the Colorado case is that this is a change in the middle of a lease, which I don't believe would stand up to legal scrutiny. I make it a point to tell all potential landlords that I own and maintain firearms and bladed weapons in my home. If they don't like that I'll find somewhere else to live BEFORE I sign the lease.

Cuz they are ideologically driven morons? A lot of people like that sacrifice that whole 'thinking' thing.

I'm a Second Amendment supporter and gun owner but that doesn't mean I necessarily want just ANYONE carrying a firearm in close proximity to my family. I had an issue two years ago when my son-in-law's NYPD friend stopped over for a Fourth of July BBQ while wearing his gun. I was polite but clear that I didn't know him and his gun wasn't welcome in my home. He was an understanding enough guy and we agreed on him keeping it in my gun safe while he was there.

As a gun owner, I have no issue with this, so long as it is laid out at the time the lease is signed. The issue in the Colorado case is that this is a change in the middle of a lease, which I don't believe would stand up to legal scrutiny. I make it a point to tell all potential landlords that I own and maintain firearms and bladed weapons in my home. If they don't like that I'll find somewhere else to live BEFORE I sign the lease.

Agreed. It's a different ballgame if the terms change after the lease is signed.

If you don't like the policy, find somewhere else, don't sign the lease.
I'm going to sign the lease and carry anyway, just like gays who enlisted in the military during the ban, it's the right thing to do.

No need to get so defensive, good grief.
As the landlord it's not something you should be asking about in the first place. It's not your business if I carry a gun or have a tattoo or support gay marriage.

I'm going to sign the lease and carry anyway, just like gays who enlisted in the military during the ban, it's the right thing to do.

As the landlord it's not something you should be asking about in the first place. It's not your business if I carry a gun or have a tattoo or support gay marriage.

I agree on the tattoo and gay marriage, disagree on the gun. And if you sign that lease and carry anyway that is very dishonest, and morally wrong and quite frankly would make you a liar and in breach of your lease.

You misunderstand the U.S. Constitution.

It's a document that prohibits the government from doing things; not private individuals.

Is someone being "forced" to rent where there is a prohibition on firearm possession?
It's quite clear that people can enter into enforceable agreements where they agree not to exercise certain rights.
Property Management companies are not the govt. The BoR applies to the govt.

I agree on the tattoo and gay marriage, disagree on the gun. And if you sign that lease and carry anyway that is very dishonest, and morally wrong and quite frankly would make you a liar and in breach of your lease.
Yes it's dishonest, and I'm ok with being dishonest to people who aren't acting respectfully, like a landlord with a no-gun policy. I have a duty to protect myself and my family and I'm good with a lie to a nosy landlord to serve that purpose. Since my moral to defend my family is intact, so to is my personal integrity.

Invoking the 5th amendment is the lie of omission, so you may want to reconsider your view on lies.

And...you have to prove that I've breached my lease, because in America I'm presumed innocent until someone can prove my guilt. You can't evict me just because I have a gun on the property. You have to prove it. I figure if the landlord has a no-gun policy, then if I'm ever caught then evidently I'm not very good with concealed carry and that's on me.

You misunderstand the U.S. Constitution. It's a document that prohibits the government from doing things; not private individuals.
The 14th Amendment provides equal protections for individuals, from individuals. Protections such as employment and housing discrimination. You, as a private property owner, cannot refuse to rent to someone simply because they're a race you don't like.

Yes it's dishonest, and I'm ok with being dishonest to people who aren't acting respectfully, like a landlord with a no-gun policy. I have a duty to protect myself and my family and I'm good with a lie to a nosy landlord to serve that purpose. Since my moral to defend my family is intact, so to is my personal integrity.
In what way is this respectable when you could rent somewhere else?
It's not honorable. It's not civil disobedience. It's just lying for your own convenience.
Invoking the 5th amendment is the lie of omission...
That's not true either.

Is someone being "forced" to rent where there is a prohibition on firearm possession?
It's quite clear that people can enter into enforceable agreements where they agree not to exercise certain rights.
Property Management companies are not the govt. The BoR applies to the govt.
You really think the BoR only stops the government from owning slaves and not you?

The 14th Amendment provides equal protections for individuals, from individuals. Protections such as employment and housing discrimination. You, as a private property owner, cannot refuse to rent to someone simply because they're a race you don't like.

The 14th amendment strictly deals with government. People should honestly take the time to read the amendment in question before supporting conclusions on it.

Back
Top Bottom