• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Can a free country like USA produce a good leader

We are a first world country with one of the highest per capita incomes. Las Vegas Sands wouldnt have invested $5 billion here under the leadership of babysitters.
Take this to your leaders: if you're going to have judicial caning, please let women be caned too. Sexism has no legitimate place in the 21st century. :2wave:

And they are going to leave Iran alone, a far bigger threat even back then? Israel were gonna attack Iraq you say.. says who? And what exactly would they attack? A few camels in the desert? And why would the rest of the Middle East give a damn about what Israel did to Saddam.. he was after all rather hated by most countries... I doubt Iran would come to save his ass..

But what did the little vendetta war do.. it empowered Iran to new heights and today Iran is a far bigger threat to Israel than Saddam and Iraq ever were.

Iraq was the hot potato since 1991. I think history has shown Israel to be unwilling to tolerate an existential threat for long and the bogus Iraq WMD's couldn't be discounted as an existential threat. Saddam had been playing up his religious roots with his payments to the Palestinian bomber families and Israel being the hated entity and all, there is no telling what the repercussions might have been had Israel attacked Baghdad.

That Fannie and Freddie had next to nothing to do with the sub-prime market and the derivatives that lead to the whole melt down only shows how factually lacking your arguments are.

Argument (singular) maybe. Arguments, no. But, again, I'll leave it to someone else to rebut your economic volley.

Take this to your leaders: if you're going to have judicial caning, please let women be caned too. Sexism has no legitimate place in the 21st century. :2wave:

McCain can tell you more abt Sarah Palin's sexism.

McCain can tell you more abt Sarah Palin's sexism.
I don't like either one. I found this article interesting.

Singapore's brain drain

YEARS of strong economic growth have failed to stem Singapore’s skilled youths from leaving for a better life abroad, with the number topping 1,000 a year.

This works out to 4%-5%, or three in 10, of the highly educated population, a severe brain drain for a small, young nation, according to Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew...

Singaporeans who have or are planning to emigrate are given a host of 10 questions and asked to tick the three most important ones. They include the following: -

> High costs of living

> Singapore is too regulated and stifling

> Better career and prospects overseas

> Prefer a more relaxed lifestyle

> Uncertain future of Singapore.

Some liberal Singaporeans believe Lee himself, with his authoritarian leadership and unpopular policies, is largely to blame.

Singapore’s best-known writer Catherine Lim calls it a climate of fear that stops citizens from speaking out against the government, saying it could eventually lead to the decline of the state.​

I don't like either one. I found this article interesting.

Singapore's brain drain

YEARS of strong economic growth have failed to stem Singapore’s skilled youths from leaving for a better life abroad, with the number topping 1,000 a year.

This works out to 4%-5%, or three in 10, of the highly educated population, a severe brain drain for a small, young nation, according to Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew...

Singaporeans who have or are planning to emigrate are given a host of 10 questions and asked to tick the three most important ones. They include the following: -

> High costs of living

> Singapore is too regulated and stifling

> Better career and prospects overseas

> Prefer a more relaxed lifestyle

> Uncertain future of Singapore.

Some liberal Singaporeans believe Lee himself, with his authoritarian leadership and unpopular policies, is largely to blame.

Singapore’s best-known writer Catherine Lim calls it a climate of fear that stops citizens from speaking out against the government, saying it could eventually lead to the decline of the state.​

That article was dated February 2008, before the financial meltdown. Many who left Singapore for greener pastures and so called fear are now back in singapore armed with Phds and kids in tow but jobless and nobody wants to employ Phd calibre here.

That article was dated February 2008, before the financial meltdown. Many who left Singapore for greener pastures and so called fear are now back in singapore armed with Phds and kids in tow but jobless and nobody wants to employ Phd calibre here.
Interesting, and yes it is a bit dated, I'm checking out some more recent articles on Singapore.

This is funny:

nypcar.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting, and yes it is a bit dated, I'm checking out some more recent articles on Singapore.

This is funny:

nypcar.jpg
The cane and death penalty served us well to deter mavericks who go on a rampage.

The USA continually produces excellent leaders. The best ones stay in the private sector, so our government ends up with the dregs.

The USA continually produces excellent leaders. The best ones stay in the private sector, so our government ends up with the dregs.

Does it end there? Whats the solution to attract the best leaders? Politicians in singapore are the highest paid in the world.

Does it end there? Whats the solution to attract the best leaders? Politicians in singapore are the highest paid in the world.

Wow, how much do they make?! and do they do a job worth that? Cause we have assholes making hundreds of thousands (not reporting it all) and doing a 4 figure salary type work.

Wow, how much do they make?! and do they do a job worth that? Cause we have assholes making hundreds of thousands (not reporting it all) and doing a 4 figure salary type work.

We don't pay people here to sit on their asses. Its beyond the call of duty. Also competitive market rates. You pay peanuts you get monkeys.

We don't pay people here to sit on their asses. Its beyond the call of duty. Also competitive market rates. You pay peanuts you get monkeys.

The TOP 30 highest paid politicians in the world are all from Singapore:
1. Elected President SR Nathan - S$3.9 million.
2. Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong - S$3.8 million.
3. Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew - S$3.5 million.
4. Senior Minister Goh Chok Thong - S$3.5 million.
5. Senior Minister Prof Jayakumar - S$3.2 million.
6. DPM & Home Affairs Minister Wong Kan Seng - S$2.9 million.
7. DPM & Defence Minister Teo Chee Hean - $2.9 million
8. Foreign Affairs Minister George Yeo - S$2.8 million.
9. National Development Minister Mah Bow Tan - S$2.7 million.
10. PMO Miniser Lim Boon Heng - S$2.7 million.
11. Trade and Industry Minister Lim Hng Kiang - S$2.7 million.
12. PMO Minister Lim Swee Say - S$2.6 million.
13. Environment Minister & Muslim Affairs Minister Dr Yaccob Ibrahim - S$2.6 million.
14. Health Minister Khaw Boon Wan - S$2.6 million.
15. Finance Minister S Tharman - S$2.6 million.
16. Education Minister & 2nd Minister for Defence Dr Ng Eng Hen - S$2.6 million.
17. Community Development Youth and Sports Minister - Dr Vivian Balakrishnan - S$2.5 million.
18. Transport Minister & 2nd Minister for Foreign Affairs Raymond Lim Siang Kiat - S$2.5 million.
19. Law Minister & 2nd Minister for Home Affairs K Shanmugam - S$2.4 million.
20. Manpower Minister Gan Kim Yong - S$2.2 million.
21. PMO Minister Lim Hwee Hwa - S$2.2 million
22. Acting ICA Minister - Lui Tuck Yew - S$2.0 million.
23 to 30 = Senior Ministers of State and Ministers of State - each getting between S$1.8 million to S$1.5 million.

:lol:

So we're just not paying our morons enough! If we want a country that's run as well as Singapore we're just going to have to stimulate the economy of our Senators and Elected Officials!!!

You don't pay high salaries to morons, instead fire all the morons and get the right people.

You don't pay high salaries to morons, instead fire all the morons and get the right people.

$170k is a lot for someone who doesn't show up for work all the time and doesn't necessarily work for the people they supposedly represent.

$170k is a lot for someone who doesn't show up for work all the time and doesn't necessarily work for the people they supposedly represent.

But you guys voted for such people.

But you guys voted for such people.

Well, technically only the people that voted for them got their wish. And personally, I think we need to have a requirements test to even vote, but that's neither here nor there.

Anyways, our politicians can give themselves raises (Sure they don't kick in til the next year but, some of the guys can keep their seats easily by scamming the public, or they can take an awesome 'severance' package)

What has Singapore ever done?

We won't be fooled into being lame ducks in Afghanistan. You guys should have learned from the Russians.

You'd think that since we were the ones arming and training the Taliban to fight the Russians. Though now, I think the Russians are secretly doing the same thing. :lol:

Irony.

We won't be fooled into being lame ducks in Afghanistan. You guys should have learned from the Russians.

Okay fine when it happens to your country you can go **** yourself.

I'm not saying we are perfect but when 3000 innocent people die there is a problem and with your crap ass attitude I could care less about Singapore and their dictatorial authoritarian government.

You'd think that since we were the ones arming and training the Taliban to fight the Russians. Though now, I think the Russians are secretly doing the same thing. :lol:

Irony.

I think it is the Iranians not the Russians.

Irony.

Okay fine when it happens to your country you can go **** yourself.

I'm not saying we are perfect but when 3000 innocent people die there is a problem and with your crap ass attitude I could care less about Singapore and their dictatorial authoritarian government.

Gorbachev Says Obama Should Start Afghan Withdrawal

Back
Top Bottom