• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Can a conservative woman be a feminist?

Can a conservative woman be a feminist?

• No

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Yes

Votes: 22 75.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters

Josie

*probably reading smut*
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Typical conservative woman - believes in God, pro-life, traditional marriage, in favor of abstinence until marriage, traditional working roles in the family (husband works, mom stays home with the kids and/or homeschools), for smaller government, less taxes, more individual freedom....

Can that woman be considered a "feminist"?

Last edited:
What are her politics? That's what confines Conservative.

no, conservative women should stay in the kitchen, and not worry their pretty little heads about politics, its a man's domain.

going to nuclear bunker in 3...2...1

You do not know what feminism is.

Typical conservative woman - believes in God, pro-life, traditional marriage, in favor of abstinence until marriage, traditional working roles in the family

O.k., that's one set of beliefs.

more individual freedom....

and that's quite a different belief. Sounds to me that you have described a person who is very conflicted, because if she thinks that first set of beliefs is at all consistant with that second, she is deluding herself. By very description, MORE individual freedom would involve LESS adherence to rigidly defined roles.

If she is doing the above by choice and supports the rights of other woman to not follow her particular choices then yes.

If she would vote to prevent women from working outside the home, vote to ensure that only traditional marriage is allowed. Ie Restrict the rights of women then no

Typical conservative woman - believes in God, pro-life, traditional marriage, in favor of abstinence until marriage, traditional working roles in the family (husband works, mom stays home with the kids and/or homeschools), for smaller government, less taxes, more individual freedom....

Well does she believe in equal pay for equal work?

O.k., that's one set of beliefs.

and that's quite a different belief. Sounds to me that you have described a person who is very conflicted, because if she thinks that first set of beliefs is at all consistant with that second, she is deluding herself. By very description, MORE individual freedom would involve LESS adherence to rigidly defined roles.

Hm.....you're right.

Well feminism to me, boils down to choice. Women having equal opportunities as men, and having a choice in which opportunities that they wish to pursue. If a woman wants to stay at home, and be a mom, thats fine. It shouldn't be forced upon her though, it shouldn't be the only choice for a woman to have. We should have the same opportunities as men, and we should be able to shape our lives the way we want. Not be forced to conform to the old beliefs from the "Cult of Domesticity" era. Feminism to me isn't limited to one certain political ideology, but equality for women, and not just a certain set of women with a particular view point, all women.

Hell a vampire can apparently run for president...so I reckon a conservative woman can be a feminist...

Maybe the problem is with the definition of a 'feminist.' What do you call a feminist...a burn your bra, pierce your cheek with a coat hanger, combat boot wearing, no leg or underarm shaving, lilith fair type, yell at a man for daring to have manners and hold a door open for her, "I dont need no damn man" type, or a woman making her own choices because its what she believes in and proud to be a partner, a wife, a mother, etc...

I think you have to be careful how you word your question. As it is worded, I think there is significant conflict between the ideals of choice in feminism and traditional roles. If you had added "if this is her preference" than yes, I would consider her a feminist. Most feminists are all about liberating women to allow choice in their lives.

Hell a vampire can apparently run for president...so I reckon a conservative woman can be a feminist...

Maybe the problem is with the definition of a 'feminist.' What do you call a feminist...a burn your bra, pierce your cheek with a coat hanger, combat boot wearing, no leg or underarm shaving, lilith fair type, yell at a man for daring to have manners and hold a door open for her, "I dont need no damn man" type, or a woman making her own choices because its what she believes in and proud to be a partner, a wife, a mother, etc...

That's why I haven't voted yet. In some ways a conservative isn't a modern feminist (your first example), but in the more traditional sense of the word she is.

my idea of a feminst is a woman who believes we should be able to do as we wish, marry, stay single, drive a truck, have children, and, yes, pierce our bodies if we so choose. i like lilith fair, great music, but i shave and like it when a man opens a door for me.

Yes
A (ideology) Conservative woman can be a feminist.
A (socially) Conservative woman can be a feminist.

Feminism is NOT defined by "YOU MUST!" - just the opposite.
It is not defined by: MUST support abortion. MUST always work instead of staying at home. MUST believe in a traditional marriage. MUST be in favor of abstinence.

Feminism is about *being* a woman and *valuing* your femininity and not letting your femininity be *used* against you. Not letting your femininity control your life or ruin it. If you believe in these things your belief should be *because* you believe in them - not *because* men think you should believe in them or *because* you think that it's what society expects of you. It centers around it being *your choice* for *your self* and what *you think* is best for *you* and *your family*

Feminism is about self-appreciation, equality and self respect - *using* these values to further your beliefs is a strong part of being a feminist.

You're confusing "GOP ideology" with "conservative" ideology. . . HUGE difference and feminism can fit into all or none of them.

Last edited:
A feminist could never be married to a house. In fact, housewives should be banned in all 50 states. Marriage should always be between one woman and one man. The sanctity, the sanctity.

Well feminism to me, boils down to choice. Women having equal opportunities as men, and having a choice in which opportunities that they wish to pursue. If a woman wants to stay at home, and be a mom, thats fine. It shouldn't be forced upon her though, it shouldn't be the only choice for a woman to have. We should have the same opportunities as men, and we should be able to shape our lives the way we want. Not be forced to conform to the old beliefs from the "Cult of Domesticity" era. Feminism to me isn't limited to one certain political ideology, but equality for women, and not just a certain set of women with a particular view point, all women.

I absolutely agree. And to further: Being a feminist, IMO, doesn't mean she wants all women to go out into the workforce and have casual sex at her leisure, etc.. A feminist simply wants women to have right to choose as much as men. not a greater choice or less. EQUAL. And so she can support those women who choose to go out into the workforce all while living the life she chooses which happens to be in line with the conservative values. Conservative values do not mean you need others to have conservative values too.

A feminist could never be married to a house. In fact, housewives should be banned in all 50 states. Marriage should always be between one woman and one man. The sanctity, the sanctity.

It's a slippery slope, you know. Once you allow women to marry houses, what's next -- barns? Airplanes? Cylindrical devices requiring just 4 D batteries?

It's a slippery slope, you know. Once you allow women to marry houses, what's next -- barns? Airplanes? Cylindrical devices requiring just 4 D batteries?

Now your talking :cool:

I hate feminists and conservatives. So a conservative feminist would like a double whammy. Of course, I hate liberals too. So, liberal feminists are just as bad.

I hate feminists and conservatives. So a conservative feminist would like a double whammy. Of course, I hate liberals too. So, liberal feminists are just as bad.

Smurfs_Color_Pictures_Grouchy_Smurf.jpg

It all depends on your definitions as we have seen here.

A feminist can be a fiscal conservative of course ... unless that fiscal conservativism means that it's OK to pay women less for equivalent work.

A feminist can be a social conservative of course ... unless that social conservativism means "wives should be subservient to their husbands" (as Huckabee would have it).

LOL

You are a feminist. . . believe it or not.

You're not a femme-nazi or an extremist (which I loath, too) - but you are a feminist. You value your individuality. You don't subscribe to what society (or men) expect of you. You believe in being independent and self sufficient. You are what you are because you want be it.

Yep - you're a feminist alright :)

Back
Top Bottom