• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Can a Christian lose their salvation?

Christians are making it seem easier and easier to get to heaven. Why is it that people used to sacrifice their lives for the cause (supposedly at least) of Jesus عليه السلام if it is such an easy goal to reach?

First, the term Christian must be defined. A “Christian” is not a person who has said a prayer or walked down an aisle or been raised in a Christian family. While each of these things can be a part of the Christian experience, they are not what makes a Christian.
A Christian is a person who has fully trusted in Jesus Christ as the only Savior and therefore possesses the Holy Spirit (John 3:16; Acts 16:31; Ephesians 2:8–9).

Two common objections to the belief that a Christian cannot lose salvation concern these experiential issues:
1) What about Christians who live in a sinful, unrepentant lifestyle?
2) What about Christians who reject the faith and deny Christ?

The problem with these objections is the assumption that everyone who calls himself a “Christian” has actually been born again.
The Bible declares that a true Christian will not live a state of continual, unrepentant sin (1 John 3:6).
The Bible also says that anyone who departs the faith is demonstrating that he was never truly a Christian (1 John 2:19).
He may have been religious, he may have put on a good show, but he was never born again by the power of God.
“By their fruit you will recognize them” (Matthew 7:16). The redeemed of God belong “to him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God” (Romans 7:4).

Nothing can separate a child of God from the Father’s love (Romans 8:38–39).

Nothing can remove a Christian from God’s hand (John 10:28–29).
God guarantees eternal life and maintains the salvation He has given us. The Good Shepherd searches for the lost sheep, and, “when he finds it, he joyfully puts it on his shoulders and goes home” (Luke 15:5–6).

The lamb is found, and the Shepherd gladly bears the burden; our Lord takes full responsibility for bringing the lost one safely home.
Can a Christian lose salvation? | GotQuestions.org

Therefore.......no.

Sure. If a Christian stops trying to emulate Jesus, he's no longer a Christian, and that would prevent him from entering Heaven.

Jesus would still love him, though.

You will never know you didn't make it

But if.it makes you feel good to believe then go for it

Absolutely we can...

"For if we practice sin willfully after having received the accurate knowledge of the truth, there is no longer any sacrifice for sins left, but there is a certain fearful expectation of judgment and a burning indignation that is going to consume those in opposition." Hebrews 10:26,27

"It would have been better for them not to have accurately known the path of righteousness than after knowing it to turn away from the holy commandment they had received." 2 Peter 2:21

Absolutely we can...

"For if we practice sin willfully after having received the accurate knowledge of the truth, there is no longer any sacrifice for sins left, but there is a certain fearful expectation of judgment and a burning indignation that is going to consume those in opposition." Hebrews 10:26,27

"It would have been better for them not to have accurately known the path of righteousness than after knowing it to turn away from the holy commandment they had received." 2 Peter 2:21

The keyword is "WILFUL" continuation of sinning. If there isn't any sincere attempt at fighting the temptation (which only God will know for only He knows what's in our hearts), then one has to question whether this person has the spirit of God in him.....if he is born again.

Romans 3
19 Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be silenced and the whole world held accountable to God.
20 Therefore no one will be declared righteous in God’s sight by the works of the law; rather, through the law we become conscious
of our sin.

1 John 1
Light and Darkness, Sin and Forgiveness

5 This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all.
6 If we claim to have fellowship with him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live out the truth.
7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.

8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.
9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
10 If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us.

Therefore - I am assuming - the keyword must be WILFULLY, without any attempt at fighting temptation.

Mind you - we cannot give a definitive answer to this question.

This is a subject that only God Himself can answer. We'll all be judged individually by God.

Last edited:
Sure. If a Christian stops trying to emulate Jesus, he's no longer a Christian, and that would prevent him from entering Heaven.

Jesus would still love him, though.
Would he? Why do you think so?

Would he? Why do you think so?

Why does a dog return to it's vomit?

"Like a dog that returns to its vomit,
The stupid one repeats his foolishness." Proverbs 26:11

Why does a dog return to it's vomit?

"Like a dog that returns to its vomit,
The stupid one repeats his foolishness." Proverbs 26:11
That's gross and I really don't know.

That's gross and I really don't know.

The Bible makes an apt comparison, don't cha think? It is a stupid thing to do, to return to your former life of before becoming a believer?

The keyword is "WILFUL" continuation of sinning. If there isn't any sincere attempt at fighting the temptation (which only God will know for only He knows what's in our hearts), then one has to question whether this person has the spirit of God in him.....if he is born again.

Romans 3
19 Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be silenced and the whole world held accountable to God.
20 Therefore no one will be declared righteous in God’s sight by the works of the law; rather, through the law we become conscious
of our sin.

1 John 1
Light and Darkness, Sin and Forgiveness

5 This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all.
6 If we claim to have fellowship with him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live out the truth.
7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.

8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.
9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
10 If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us.

Therefore - I am assuming - the keyword must be WILFULLY, without any attempt at fighting temptation.

Mind you - we cannot give a definitive answer to this question.

This is a subject that only God Himself can answer. We'll all be judged individually by God.
Where is the verse that says you would never possibly want to sin after receiving faith?

Where is the verse that says you would never possibly want to sin after receiving faith?

Not every Christian who identify as a Christian, is a Christian. They only think they are.
I was in that state before I "re-discovered" Christ and became born-again.
When I look back to my former state- I was so different from what I am now.

A Christian who has Christ in Him would not want to sin again. There's the keyword in your statement. WANT.
WANTING TO SIN - is not the same as FIGHTING SIN (or fighting temptation)!

Losing the fight (when we fall into sin), does not necessarily mean we want to sin.
It simply shows we succumbed to sin. We feel remorse about it.

Not every Christian who identify as a Christian, is a Christian. They only think they are.
I was in that state before I "re-discovered" Christ and became born-again.
When I look back to my former state- I was so different from what I am now.

A Christian who has Christ in Him would not want to sin again. There's the keyword in your statement. WANT.
WANTING TO SIN - is not the same as FIGHTING SIN (or fighting temptation)!

Losing the fight (when we fall into sin), does not necessarily mean we want to sin.
It simply shows we succumbed to sin. We feel remorse about it.
So why would someone who is grafted into Christ be broken off? St. Paul warns that this can happen. How could it if salvation cannot be lost?

Here are some....

Romans 8:10
If Christ is in you, though the body is dead because of sin, yet the spirit is alive because of righteousness.

Ephesians 3:17-19
so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God.

1 John 3:24
The one who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. We know by this that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.

Galatians 2
19 “For through the law I died to the law so that I might live for God. 20 I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. 21 I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!

When Christ is in you - the 10 Commandments are no longer laws in your view. They become a promise.

1 John 4:4
You are from God, little children, and have overcome them; because greater is He who is in you than he who is in the world.

Matthew 26:41
Keep watching and praying that you may not enter into temptation; the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.”

Luke 22:40
When He arrived at the place, He said to them, “Pray that you may not enter into temptation.”

John 14:23
Jesus answered and said to him, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our abode with him.

1 Corinthians 3:16

Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?

Here are some....

Romans 8:10
If Christ is in you, though the body is dead because of sin, yet the spirit is alive because of righteousness.

Ephesians 3:17-19
so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God.

1 John 3:24
The one who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. We know by this that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.

Galatians 2
19 “For through the law I died to the law so that I might live for God. 20 I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. 21 I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!

When Christ is in you - the 10 Commandments are no longer laws in your view. They become a promise.

1 John 4:4
You are from God, little children, and have overcome them; because greater is He who is in you than he who is in the world.

Matthew 26:41
Keep watching and praying that you may not enter into temptation; the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.”

Luke 22:40
When He arrived at the place, He said to them, “Pray that you may not enter into temptation.”

John 14:23
Jesus answered and said to him, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our abode with him.

1 Corinthians 3:16

Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?
None of these verses say that you will not fall away. What they say is that you can stay away from sin by the grace of God, and you have an obligation to do so.

So why would someone who is grafted into Christ be broken off? St. Paul warns that this can happen. How could it if salvation cannot be lost?

Can you give me the particular verse.

The verse that comes to mind is about the "natural branch" (Israel), that broke off.
It speaks of Israel.

In Romans 11:11–24 Paul compares Israel to the natural branches of a cultivated olive tree and the Gentile believers to the branches of a wild olive tree.
The natural branches (Israel) were broken off, and the wild branches (Gentiles) were grafted in (verse 17).
The Gentiles, then, have been made partakers of the promises and inherit the blessings of God’s salvation.

It is important to understand how God called Israel to be His people and how they failed to fulfill that calling. As the seed of Abraham, the children of Israel were chosen by God to be a separate people, holy to the Lord. God’s design was for them to be a light to the Gentiles so that they, too, might know God (Genesis 18:17–19; Isaiah 42, 49). Instead, the Israelites chased foreign gods and betrayed their calling (Ezekiel 23; Hosea 11). But God, who knew they would do this, had already promised to restore His kingdom to Israel after they rebelled and then eventually repented (Deuteronomy 30:1–10). So God sent His Son, preceded by a forerunner, to invite Israel to “repent, for the Kingdom of heaven is at hand” (Matthew 3:2; 4:17).

Last edited:
Can you give me the particular verse.

The verse that comes to mind is about the "natural branch" (Israel), that broke off.
Romans 11:

But if some of the branches were broken off, and you, a wild olive shoot, were grafted in their place to share the richness[a] of the olive tree, 18 do not boast over the branches. If you do boast, remember it is not you that support the root, but the root that supports you. 19 You will say, “Branches were broken off so that I might be grafted in.” 20 That is true. They were broken off because of their unbelief, but you stand fast only through faith. So do not become proud, but stand in awe. 21 For if God did not spare the natural branches, neither will he spare you. 22 Note then the kindness and the severity of God: severity toward those who have fallen, but God’s kindness to you, provided you continue in his kindness; otherwise you too will be cut off.

Romans 11:

But if some of the branches were broken off, and you, a wild olive shoot, were grafted in their place to share the richness[a] of the olive tree, 18 do not boast over the branches. If you do boast, remember it is not you that support the root, but the root that supports you. 19 You will say, “Branches were broken off so that I might be grafted in.” 20 That is true. They were broken off because of their unbelief, but you stand fast only through faith. So do not become proud, but stand in awe. 21 For if God did not spare the natural branches, neither will he spare you. 22 Note then the kindness and the severity of God: severity toward those who have fallen, but God’s kindness to you, provided you continue in his kindness; otherwise you too will be cut off.

See the explanation above for the context!

These preceding verses explains:

Romans 11

Ingrafted Branches

11 Again I ask:
Did they stumble so as to fall beyond recovery? Not at all!
Rather, because of their transgression, salvation has come to the Gentiles to make Israel envious.

12 But if their transgression means riches for the world, and their loss means riches for the Gentiles, how much greater riches will their
full inclusion bring!

13 I am talking to you Gentiles. Inasmuch as I am the apostle to the Gentiles, I take pride in my ministry
14 in the hope that I may somehow arouse my own people to envy and save some of them.
15 For if their rejection brought reconciliation to the world, what will their acceptance be but life from the dead?
16 If the part of the dough offered as firstfruits is holy, then the whole batch is holy; if the root is holy, so are the branches.

17 If some of the branches have been broken off, and you, though a wild olive shoot, have been grafted in among the others and now share in the nourishing sap from the olive root,

18 do not consider yourself to be superior to those other branches. If you do, consider this: You do not support the root, but the root supports you.
19 You will say then, “Branches were broken off so that I could be grafted in.”
20 Granted. But they were broken off because of unbelief, and you stand by faith.
Do not be arrogant, but tremble.
21 For if God did not spare the natural branches, he will not spare you either.

See the explanation above for the context!

These preceding verses explains:

Romans 11

Ingrafted Branches

11 Again I ask:
Did they stumble so as to fall beyond recovery? Not at all!
Rather, because of their transgression, salvation has come to the Gentiles to make Israel envious.

12 But if their transgression means riches for the world, and their loss means riches for the Gentiles, how much greater riches will their
full inclusion bring!

13 I am talking to you Gentiles. Inasmuch as I am the apostle to the Gentiles, I take pride in my ministry
14 in the hope that I may somehow arouse my own people to envy and save some of them.
15 For if their rejection brought reconciliation to the world, what will their acceptance be but life from the dead?
16 If the part of the dough offered as firstfruits is holy, then the whole batch is holy; if the root is holy, so are the branches.

17 If some of the branches have been broken off, and you, though a wild olive shoot, have been grafted in among the others and now share in the nourishing sap from the olive root,

18 do not consider yourself to be superior to those other branches. If you do, consider this: You do not support the root, but the root supports you.
19 You will say then, “Branches were broken off so that I could be grafted in.”
20 Granted. But they were broken off because of unbelief, and you stand by faith.
Do not be arrogant, but tremble.
21 For if God did not spare the natural branches, he will not spare you either.
This doesn't change the warning: we can be broken off. No once saved always saved.

Back
Top Bottom