• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Calling someone 'articulate' is now racist and offensive

Please tell us how being articulate is an insult.
If someone calls me articulate I would take that as a compliment

It depends on the nature of how it was said

If Ivanka was surprised Fox was articulate because she was black it is an insult

if Fox was discussing a topic in great detail using highly technical words and Ivanka was surprised by that because she thought an actor would not have that type of knowledge, then it would be a compliment.

Given it was the Apprentice I expect it was the former rather than the latter

No I wouldnt feel spoken down to, I would take it as a compliment.

And I would argue if YOU somehow feel thats an insult, then perhaps you dont consider yourself articulate
Oh I do. More so than Ivanka Trump. If anyone expresses surprise that you 'speak well ' you have been spoken down to whether you recognize it or not.
But that's the issue here, innit? You don't recognize the condescension.

Oh I do. More so than Ivanka Trump. If anyone expresses surprise that you 'speak well ' you have been spoken down to whether you recognize it or not.
But that's the issue here, innit? You don't recognize the condescension
Maybe you are just used to being spoken down to a lot?? So you automatically assume it's an insult??

Last edited:
Maybe you are just used to being spoken down to a lot?? So you automatically assume it's an insult??
Nice try. I'm used to people literally looking up at me, for a couple reasons. And if you think I have any doubts about my ability to use language, well, that'd be just another example of you not getting it.
Seriously. You and I just met. It's a group setting. You speak about some topic, you pick the topic, whatever, and I say to you, "Wow! You speak well!" You would feel complimented by my approval?

Didn't Biden say something similar about Obama?

He did. And all the cons jumped on it.

Hmmm.....you don't think Cons act irrationally for partisan reasons do you?

He did. And all the cons jumped on it.

Hmmm.....you don't think Cons act irrationally for partisan reasons do you?
And all the Dems ignored it, including the media.

But now, the Dems have their panties in a bunch and the media is gleefully splashing it all over the place.

Like I said...hypocrisy.

But now, the Dems have their panties in a bunch and the media is gleefully splashing it all over the place.

Like I said...hypocrisy.
Wow! You speak well!

Do you kind of purr, get a fuzzy feeling from my approval or do you wonder who the hell I think I am to be offering my approval in the first place?

hell, i remember people saying that certain blacks folks were "articulate" dating back to the 60s. it seemed to be combined with "clean".

you know, "he's clean and articulate".
....Which is what Bo Jiden said about Obama...

Wow! You speak well!

Do you kind of purr, get a fuzzy feeling from my approval or do you wonder who the hell I think I am to be offering my approval in the first place?
I would say he is really articulate for a " "

Like I said...hypocrisy.
Hypocrisy on both sides.

Yes, it's kind of a racist thing to say.

I stand corrected.

I coulda sworn it was Reid.
Reid's claim to fame was lying about Romney on the Senate floor and then afterward saying, "It worked, didn't it?"

If someone you don't know says to you the first time you meet, "Wow! You speak very well!" you wouldn't feel spoken down to? You wouldn't wonder why they're surprised?
How did you know that they were surprised?

I would. I'd make some sarcastic reply.
Then you probably have low self-esteem. You think that people complimenting you on your language capabilities is "speaking down to you".

So tell me, under what circumstances will you consider, "you speak very well" to be a genuine compliment?

Seriously. You and I just met. It's a group setting. You speak about some topic, you pick the topic, whatever, and I say to you, "Wow! You speak well!" You would feel complimented by my approval?
How is that an "approval"? It is just a compliment. One that the woman chose to get offended over. Get some self-esteem.

How did you know that they were surprised?

Then you probably have low self-esteem. You think that people complimenting you on your language capabilities is "speaking down to you".

So tell me, under what circumstances will you consider, "you speak very well" to be a genuine compliment?
"Wow!" means surprise.
And It's my strong sense of self-esteem that tells me that anyone who deigns to remark on my ability with language is being condescending. Isn't it that way with you? I go into any interaction knowing that whomever I'm engaging with is no more than my equal in terms of eloquence, and maybe less so. Much less, sometimes.
The only circumstance that would make me consider "You speak well!" a compliment would be me using a language other than English.

Last edited:
How is that an "approval"? It is just a compliment. One that the woman chose to get offended over. Get some self-esteem.
Compliments come from approval. Get some language skills.

"Wow!" means surprise.
And It's my strong sense of self-esteem that tells me that anyone who deigns to remark on my ability with language is being condescending. Isn't it that way with you? I go into any interaction knowing that whomever I'm engaging with is no more than my equal in terms of eloquence, and maybe less so. Much less, sometimes.
The only circumstance that would make me consider "You speak well!" a compliment would be me using a language other than English.
I guess it really depends on the tone of the person and the circumstances.

I don't want to get into a prolonged exchange over whether compliments come from approval.

Lol, you are butt-hurt.
No more than you. "Get some self-esteem."
And no prolonged exchange is necessary. Compliments come from approval. Sincere ones anyway. So where does this leave us in the discussion of Ivanka Trump saying to a black woman, "Wow! You speak well!"

Damn. Ivanka Trump. Would you really feel complimented if she told you that you speak well?

No more than you. "Get some self-esteem."
And no prolonged exchange is necessary. Compliments come from approval. Sincere ones anyway. So where does this leave us in the discussion of Ivanka Trump saying to a black woman, "Wow! You speak well!"

Damn. Ivanka Trump. Would you really feel complimented if she told you that you speak well?
Well like I said, it depends on the tone of the person and the circumstances.

Jeezus Christ are Liberals ever stupid. I couldnt make this shit up if I tried.
Is there ever a time when Lefties are not offended?? 😂

Quick question, what does this have to do with liberals?

Quick answer, nothing.

This is simply one clown talking about what another clown said.

Back
Top Bottom