• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Calling it now: Seahawks = SB 51 Champs!

Binary_Digit

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Part 1:

Yes, it's bold and brazen to make such a claim before even the first preseason game. But:

- Almost everyone from the 2013 SB win, and the 2014 almost SB win, are still with the team and still in their prime (< 30 y/o).

- There is no Super Bowl "hangover" this year, and we ended last year on just about the best possible note: 28 unanswered points against Carolina. Similar to the 2012 loss in Atlanta which was answered by the dominant 2013 champs. The team will again be playing with a special kind of swagger this season.

- Original LoB member Brandon Browner is back! The plan for him is a hybrid CB/SS role to fix the Hawks' weakness against elite TEs over the middle. All the other LoB members are saying the unit feels complete again with Browner back in the fold.

- We lost run-stuffing DT Brandon Mebane to FA, but picked up rookie Jarren Reed in replacement who by all accounts is doing a remarkable job.

- We lost Will linebacker Bruce Irvin to FA, but the three guys in the hunt to replace him (Marsh, Morgan, Pinkins) all appear just as good if not better.

- Sam LB K.J. Wright and Mike LB Bobby Wagner were passed over for the Pro Bowl, and both are quite offended by that. Look for them to make their dominating presence even more widely known this year.

- The CB spot opposite Sherman will be in good hands, whether we go with Jeremy Lane, Marcus Burley, Tharold Simon, or Tye Smith. Lane will probably get the main job, but then cover the slot in 3WR sets. It will not be safe for opposing QBs to simply throw away from Sherman like it was last year when Cary Williams held the job.

- SS Kam Chancellor and DT Michael Bennett are in the 2nd-to-last year of contracts they aren't really happy with. They'll be looking to prove to the FO that they deserve a lot of love next offseason.

Part 2:

- Last year's O-Line was the Hawks' achilles heel. During the first 6 games Russel Wilson was sacked a league-high 31 times. Imagine what that number would be if he weren't so inhumanely quick and elusive. The offseason hasn't gone perfectly on the O-Line (we lost our two best guys to FA, Russel Okung and J.R. Sweezy), but our 1st round pick Germain Ifedi has by all accounts been tearing it up at RG. FA Bradley Sowell has been winning battles at LT against Pro Bowler Michael Bennett. We just picked up multi-Pro Bowler/All Pro RG Jahri Evans from the Saints, and in spite of his impressive resume he's yet to officially earn a starting spot (which speaks volumes of the younger talent he's competing against). This year's O-Line should be at least average, which means the offense as a whole will be far above average.

- Seahawk WRs can no longer be considered "pedestrian," and in fact they are actually one of the deepest and most talented WR groups in the league right now. Doug Baldwin continues to be Doug Baldwin. Tyler Lockett lit the league on fire during last year's rookie campaign, and he's been looking even better in practice and scrimmages this offseason. Jermaine Kearse (and his special chemistry with Wilson) is back for the forseeable future. Paul Richardson is back from injury and is still the fastest guy on the field, which prompts opposing CBs to play soft and risk giving up passes underneath, or playing press and risk getting beat deep. And he just made a spectacular leaping catch over Richard Sherman in yesterday's practice, proving he's not just a one-trick pony.

- The retirement of RB Marshawn Lynch will probably be a non-issue. Thomas Rawls held the league's highest YPC last year before his ankle got rolled up on. He's back from surgery and off the PUP list as-of this week. Christine Michael has made significant improvements over last year and is even in discussions for possibly taking some snaps away from Rawls. Rookie Alex Collins is getting nothing but praise from both coaches and beat reporters for running angry, making good reads, and breaking tackles like a Beast (yes, with a capital 'B'). Rookie C.J. Prosise is a WR convert with great hands for 3rd downs, and he pleasantly surprised the staff with good basic running skills as well (unfortunately out right now with a hammy tho).

- Russel Wilson is no longer considered just a "game manager" (if that was ever a fair label to begin with). He's consistently in discussions as a top 5 QB in the league right now. His laser accuracy and jet engine legs are still a huge threat, but this year he's "turned a corner" with the more advanced aspects of reading defenses & calling audibles to exploit them. This offseason has shown he has not regressed in any way, instead he's actually gotten better. Team practices have him focusing on quick throws just like what worked during the 2nd half of last year. Combined with improved pass pro from the O-Line, Wilson is in position to have a historic, record-setting season this year and to start being compared to the all-time greats like he deserves.

- TE is a bit of an issue. Jimmy Graham is jogging around in practice (which is remarkable this soon after his injury) but has yet to participate in scrimmages or contact drills. He may not even see the field for the first few weeks of the regular season. Rookie Nick Vannett hasn't really lived up to expectations yet. Veteran Cooper Helfet was moved to IR just last week. Luke Willson may be the primary TE for the first few games, until it's safe to put Jimmy back out there for real. Luke Willson is solid and capable, but not exactly elite. But with four almost-elite WRs on the roster this TE weakness might not be all that tangible.

The Cardinals are probably the Seahawks' biggest impediment to another SB win (barring injuries OFC). AZ is clearly in "win now" mode after resigning old-timers Carson Palmer and Larry Fitz to 1-year deals. The Hawks MUST win the NFCW and secure home field advantage, and the Cardinals are the only team that could reasonably keep that from happening.

If you're not a Hawks fan, I think there's a lot to be concerned about if your team has to face them this year. =)

WdabGTc.jpg

Works for me...they are my favorite team.

I live in Phoenix, we don't have a professional team, just the Cardinals...

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA bears da bears da bears da bears da bears da bears

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA bears da bears da bears da bears da bears da bears
At least they shut out the Browns yesterday. =)

Works for me...they are my favorite team.

I live in Phoenix, we don't have a professional team, just the Cardinals...

Awwwwww Shudduuppppp!

Besides you forgot about the Rattlers.

- TE is a bit of an issue. Jimmy Graham is jogging around in practice (which is remarkable this soon after his injury) but has yet to participate in scrimmages or contact drills. He may not even see the field for the first few weeks of the regular season. Rookie Nick Vannett hasn't really lived up to expectations yet. Veteran Cooper Helfet was moved to IR just last week. Luke Willson may be the primary TE for the first few games, until it's safe to put Jimmy back out there for real. Luke Willson is solid and capable, but not exactly elite. But with four almost-elite WRs on the roster this TE weakness might not be all that tangible.

The Hawks need to flush the turd that is Graham. Yeah he's got great hands, but he lacks toughness. Trade him away for a great center and then let Luke show what toughness really means.

Calling it now. The Seahawks won't even win their division.
LOL! Mostly depends if Palmer and Fitz still have enough in the tank, right? Honey Badger can only help so much. =)

The Hawks need to flush the turd that is Graham. Yeah he's got great hands, but he lacks toughness. Trade him away for a great center and then let Luke show what toughness really means.
Interesting, and first time I've heard that take on him. I know he's not a great blocker, but he's known for coming down with contested balls in traffic, which suggests a good amount of toughness to me. He was just hitting his stride in the Hawks system when his knee went out. At the time he was one of the team's reception leaders. I think he's a little on the expensive side for what he brings, but I never thought of him as a turd.

Edit: You must be tough if you have traffic-contested balls. Sorry, couldn't help it.

Awwwwww Shudduuppppp!

Besides you forgot about the Rattlers.

This AZ native, just loathes the tweety birds..and the Bidwell family.

Wish we could have waited for an expansion team.

Part 2:

- Last year's O-Line was the Hawks' achilles heel. During the first 6 games Russel Wilson was sacked a league-high 31 times. Imagine what that number would be if he weren't so inhumanely quick and elusive. The offseason hasn't gone perfectly on the O-Line (we lost our two best guys to FA, Russel Okung and J.R. Sweezy), but our 1st round pick Germain Ifedi has by all accounts been tearing it up at RG. FA Bradley Sowell has been winning battles at LT against Pro Bowler Michael Bennett. We just picked up multi-Pro Bowler/All Pro RG Jahri Evans from the Saints, and in spite of his impressive resume he's yet to officially earn a starting spot (which speaks volumes of the younger talent he's competing against). This year's O-Line should be at least average, which means the offense as a whole will be far above average.

- Seahawk WRs can no longer be considered "pedestrian," and in fact they are actually one of the deepest and most talented WR groups in the league right now. Doug Baldwin continues to be Doug Baldwin. Tyler Lockett lit the league on fire during last year's rookie campaign, and he's been looking even better in practice and scrimmages this offseason. Jermaine Kearse (and his special chemistry with Wilson) is back for the forseeable future. Paul Richardson is back from injury and is still the fastest guy on the field, which prompts opposing CBs to play soft and risk giving up passes underneath, or playing press and risk getting beat deep. And he just made a spectacular leaping catch over Richard Sherman in yesterday's practice, proving he's not just a one-trick pony.

- The retirement of RB Marshawn Lynch will probably be a non-issue. Thomas Rawls held the league's highest YPC last year before his ankle got rolled up on. He's back from surgery and off the PUP list as-of this week. Christine Michael has made significant improvements over last year and is even in discussions for possibly taking some snaps away from Rawls. Rookie Alex Collins is getting nothing but praise from both coaches and beat reporters for running angry, making good reads, and breaking tackles like a Beast (yes, with a capital 'B'). Rookie C.J. Prosise is a WR convert with great hands for 3rd downs, and he pleasantly surprised the staff with good basic running skills as well (unfortunately out right now with a hammy tho).

- Russel Wilson is no longer considered just a "game manager" (if that was ever a fair label to begin with). He's consistently in discussions as a top 5 QB in the league right now. His laser accuracy and jet engine legs are still a huge threat, but this year he's "turned a corner" with the more advanced aspects of reading defenses & calling audibles to exploit them. This offseason has shown he has not regressed in any way, instead he's actually gotten better. Team practices have him focusing on quick throws just like what worked during the 2nd half of last year. Combined with improved pass pro from the O-Line, Wilson is in position to have a historic, record-setting season this year and to start being compared to the all-time greats like he deserves.

The Cardinals are probably the Seahawks' biggest impediment to another SB win (barring injuries OFC). AZ is clearly in "win now" mode after resigning old-timers Carson Palmer and Larry Fitz to 1-year deals. The Hawks MUST win the NFCW and secure home field advantage, and the Cardinals are the only team that could reasonably keep that from happening.

If you're not a Hawks fan, I think there's a lot to be concerned about if your team has to face them this year. =)

Dude. Must you? I was hoping the Hawks would fly under the radar...

The Hawks need to flush the turd that is Graham. Yeah he's got great hands, but he lacks toughness. .

The Hawks are loaded at WR now. And with the drafting of Nick Vannett at TE (an excellent blocker), Jimmy will not be called upon to block to the extent he was. I think Graham has a decent year. And lookout for Tyler Lockett

Interesting, and first time I've heard that take on him. I know he's not a great blocker, but he's known for coming down with contested balls in traffic, which suggests a good amount of toughness to me. He was just hitting his stride in the Hawks system when his knee went out. At the time he was one of the team's reception leaders. I think he's a little on the expensive side for what he brings, but I never thought of him as a turd.

Edit: You must be tough if you have traffic-contested balls. Sorry, couldn't help it.

I think he's highly over-rated. A TE needs to be a OL as well as a WR and Graham isn't much of an OL. His after the catch running is pedestrian at best, IMO. Graham definitely has the best hands of any TE in the NFL, but that makes him a big, slow WR, not a TE. I also think that he came at far too high a price, both in terms of salary and who the Hawks traded away for him. Losing the best center in the NFL for a TE that they really didn't need just didn't make much sense to me.

The Hawks are loaded at WR now. And with the drafting of Nick Vannett at TE (an excellent blocker), Jimmy will not be called upon to block to the extent he was. I think Graham has a decent year. And lookout for Tyler Lockett

With Willson and Vannett, I think that Graham is a luxury that the Hawks can afford to lose. Trade him for a Pro-Bowl OL and a kicker.

A kicker?c lol Housemoney we already have.

I was just throwing out any position, since a team that wants Graham will pony up for him. I just don't think that the Hawks need him and they definitely need a better O-line. Get a good OL and a backup waterboy for all I care, as long it includes a good OL (preferably a center).

Part 2:

I agree that the cardinals are your biggest threat

I think Arians has them hungry and ready....

And it is time to get Fitz his ring....his spot in Canton is assured, but such a class person and player needs one ring

It ought to be a great season....

Not sure who the better back in fantasy will be....Rawls or David Johnson

Brady revenge tour co starring two beast tight ends. Game over nfl.

I agree that the cardinals are your biggest threat

I think Arians has them hungry and ready....

And it is time to get Fitz his ring....his spot in Canton is assured, but such a class person and player needs one ring

It ought to be a great season....

Not sure who the better back in fantasy will be....Rawls or David Johnson
I agree on Fitz. If the Hawks do lose out somehow, I might end up pulling for the Cards. Unless the Cards are the ones who beat us...lol

I'm thinking Johnson might be a safer bet. Rawls broke bones and tore ligaments, so there's a decent (and sad) chance he won't make it back to full form for a while, if ever.

Now THERE'S a TE. I'd take one Gronk over 87 Grahams....
Truth! Gronk throws awesome cruise ship parties too.

Back
Top Bottom