• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Call for licensed cannabis sales

Infinite Chaos

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Speaking to BBC Breakfast, Professor Pertwee says he has developed an 'extreme' scheme that would see certain forms of cannabis legalised and sold as a branded product. BBC News

Would you buy and use cannabis if it were legal? Do you think current users would buy or go for the strands of cannabis that would still be banned?

Personally, I don't think I would - I experimented in my 20's and was never really interested beyond a short 2 months trials. I do think however that preventing cannabis use is a waste of police / legal resources and we might do better legalising and taxing it properly.

I must be getting old. When I saw the title of this thread I thought it said "call for licensed cannibals".

How disappointing.

In any case, yes, legalize it. I wouldn't buy it, but it could be regulated and taxed just like alcohol.

Would you buy and use cannabis if it were legal? Do you think current users would buy or go for the strands of cannabis that would still be banned?

Personally, I don't think I would - I experimented in my 20's and was never really interested beyond a short 2 months trials. I do think however that preventing cannabis use is a waste of police / legal resources and we might do better legalising and taxing it properly.

Doubt that it would happen under the present government. But personally I would not, but I agree with Gardener (must wash myself!!!) that it should be legal and taxed. The same should be for most drugs.

Doubt that it would happen under the present government. But personally I would not, but I agree with Gardener (must wash myself!!!) that it should be legal and taxed. The same should be for most drugs.

Note to cops: one of the first things I am going to do when I retire from the military is roll and smoke a fatty.

Not a big fan of it but it should be legalised.

Scary thread.

I buy illegal drugs, why the hell wouldn't I buy legal ones? :lol: As long as the legal ones are good, then abso-****ing-lutely.

Legal, taxed and out of the hands of criminals who are able to charge huge premiums and make a fortune from its "illegality".

Legal, taxed and out of the hands of criminals who are able to charge huge premiums and make a fortune from its "illegality".

and just think of the sales tax revenue it would generate.

Would you buy and use cannabis if it were legal?
I think I wouldn't buy. (I already tryed it years ago)
But I don't see a reason to keep it illegal. Alcohol and cigarettes kill every day... and they are legal...

I must be getting old. When I saw the title of this thread I thought it said "call for licensed cannibals".
Me too. :shock:

Thro that rubbish in the sewers if we still have one on this good site.

yes yes yes.

so there u go lads
mikeey

Legal, taxed and out of the hands of criminals...

Might as well legalise burglary, happy-slapping, mugging, murder and rape then. Not to mention suicide. After all, if people want to do it that bad that they break the law...

Though I wonder how many of these people wanting legalised pot also want tobacco banned or cripplingly taxed?!

Last edited:
I'd legalise it, like many others in the thread have suggested. I wouldn't buy it myself, didn't do much for me, other than make me sick:lol:.
Don't agree with certain quarters who suggest its a harmless, mellowing substance. Have witnessed first had how, like other drugs, it has the ability to leave the user hooked, and all the negatives that go with it.

Paul

I would not legalize it, and instead of making money through taxes, just enforce the laws and impose very heavy fines on those caught using cannabis.

Yep, legalize it. It's ridiculous to criminalize it, it's just incredibly costy but doesn't yield good effect. It's definitely not harmless, but harmless enough to trust most people to handle it with responsibility.

I would not legalize it, and instead of making money through taxes, just enforce the laws and impose very heavy fines on those caught using cannabis.

boo - hiss

Love that cannabis:

Scans reveal brain damage from cannabis is like schizophrenia - Times Online

You're only a fascist for not wanting the kids to enjoy themselves:

Cannabis bigger cancer risk than cigarettes: study | Reuters

The only harm is the tax risk, apparently:

Regular Marijuana Use Increases Risk Of Hepatitis C-related Liver Damage

Never mind the bollocks (strong old-English slang for testes), here's the liberal-left:

Cannabis linked to testicular cancer - Health News, Health & Families - The Independent

The first casualty of the war against the squares is your liver:

Marijuana Linked To Liver Damage - Medical - an eLab Article at Scientist Live

How DARE you want to help people suffering from things which liberals think is alright:

Cannabis Addiction and Recovery - Home

..And so forth. Yet when smokers get bashed for the health risks, the left spitefully wade in against them:

http://www.debatepolitics.com/break...y-smoking-ban-targets-outdoor-facilities.html

(Probably because it's the ordinary people smoking tobacco who hold them back from their politically-correct glory. We've not been driven mad with ithere in the West, so the hate comes out.)

You can see just where the land lies with our hypocritical friends on the subversive Left. They should just be consistent for once in their lives or shut up!

Last edited:
If it saves me monthly trips to Amsterdam, then why not.

Well, if tobacco is also responsible for schitzophrenia or cancer then well, why legalise another evil weed?

..Or indeed, banning one to make room for the other?

But consistency was never the strong suit amongst liberals. Probably cos of all that pot they smoke!

Cannabis is not responsible for schizophrenia. There is no study whatsoever that claims it can cause schizophrenia in healthy people.

What it can do, though, is triggering schizophrenia in people who are susceptible to it (your link doesn't claim anything else, by the way). That is approximately 1% to 1.5% of the population. If it's not cannbis or hallucinogenics that will trigger a psychosis in these people who are ill already, it will be something else later, like stress.

But cannabis cannot cause schizophrenia in the 98.5% of the population who are not susceptible to it anyways.

Of course it doesn't mean it's harmless. Cannabis can cause psychological addiction and when abused, can cause severe damage on mental and social development of adolescents, lower performance and can be dangerous when users drive or operate machines, much like alcohol. Some people may think it's harmless when you smoke several joints a day and are almost constantly intoxicated -- but it isn't, much like it's a sign of addiction when you're constantly drunk, or regularly have several drinks a day.

But I don't think occassional, limited consumption for recreational purposes is any more dangerous than similar consumption patterns of alcohol, probably even less so -- except for those 1% to 1.5% who have a susceptibility for schizophrenia.

Well, if tobacco is also responsible for schitzophrenia or cancer then well, why legalise another evil weed?

..Or indeed, banning one to make room for the other?

But consistency was never the strong suit amongst liberals. Probably cos of all that pot they smoke!

Your links fail to mention where they obtained the cannabis. I know Times Online once described skunk as cannabis, which is actually just a ****ty cheaper version of weed that probably DOES cause more damage than tobacco.

Might as well legalise burglary, happy-slapping, mugging, murder and rape then. Not to mention suicide. After all, if people want to do it that bad that they break the law...

Strawman, burglary and all the other crimes are not as widespread nor is the public as ambiguous about them.

Though I wonder how many of these people wanting legalised pot also want tobacco banned or cripplingly taxed?!

It comes down to whether the public is willing to pay for adequate law enforcement and the actons required to enforce the law. Right now and the last 100 years no, they're not.

Such is an illuminating insight into the minds of those on the 'liberal' side. They want to do something illegal so badly, which is why it mustn't be illegal any more. Yet these are the class of people who also want tobacco use curbed or criminalised, just because they don't want the common people smoking the 'wrong' thing!

Such people are dangerous to have in charge, not least because they have a disproportionate influence on the mugs they run. Indeed, a public unused to anti-pot propaganda and harassment are perhaps more likely to think a second evil weed should be legalised. Probably if only to see them allowed to smoke indoors out of the rain again.

Many in the public seem to equate being kept ignorant of pot's real dangers for it being safe. And such confusion suits the liberal book, which is why it doesn't go corrected.

More chaos in a 'John Lennon' Britain: BBC NEWS | UK | UK Politics | Cannabis: What if it were legal?

The public want this do they: Demolishing 15 key arguments for the decriminalisation of Cannabis

Fortunately the Scots seem to have more sense than half of our mind-addled lot:
BBC News - Opinions toughen on cannabis users and illegal drugs

Bloody criminals: More than half of cannabis smokers fail to pay £80 fines | News

marijuana can cause:
memory loss
disorted perception
loss of coordination
reduced blood pressure
increase heart rate -> heart attack
hallucinations
delusions
lung infections
lung cancer
obstruct airways

you wonder why it's illegal?

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090730120710AArXgNn

It comes down to whether the public is willing to pay for adequate law enforcement and the actons required to enforce the law. Right now and the last 100 years no, they're not.

They do. They just don't get it delivered because, again, liberals decree that they want prison to be an even softer option now. Or that you don't need bobbies on the beat as video cameras are just as good.

Last edited:
Such is an illuminating insight into the minds of those on the 'liberal' side. They want to do something illegal so badly, which is why it mustn't be illegal any more --

Why do you think most Western police forces also think cannabis should be legalised? Are all those policemen liberals too?

Ours wanted it downgraded to Class B again. Not because it's OK like the propaganda says, but merely because it's not something like heroin.

BBC NEWS | UK | Police want cannabis reclassified

In fact, under New Labour, top cops and judges were employed BECAUSE they were liberal and 'on-message' with the latest PC rubbish.

Twunts: Don't put burglars in jail (unless they hurt someone), courts told | Mail Online

That goes double: Police given politically correct guidelines

Police officers banned from asking for 'Christian' names - Telegraph

Politically correct police force hiring officers 'who can't do the job' | Mail Online

http://michael-millett.com/hop.php?go=a106

New Labour's political police must be reformed or abolished – Telegraph Blogs

Politically correct stupidity - 2005

Man had too many convictions to be sent to jail (from The Daily Mail)

A career criminal with 112 convictions was spared jail under a controversial Government programme. The policy which allowed Kevin Page to walk free from court was bitterly attacked by police and campaigners for victims’ rights. Page began his life of crime in his teens, has caused damage and stolen property worth tens of thousands of pounds, and has been sentenced 37 times including 13 custodial sentences totalling six years. But instead of being jailed for his latest offence of breaking into a car, magistrates placed him under the Prolific and Priority Offender Scheme for 18 months. The order means Page, 23, will be allowed to remain in the community under the scrutiny of probation officers and other agencies. That is despite the fact that the drug addict had been released from prison only four weeks before the offence for a previous crime and was under a Community Rehabilitation Order – which meant he was already meeting with probation officers on a regular basis. Police have repeatedly said he will continue to commit crimes unless he is put behind bars.

P.I. comment: Whenever the PC brigade bleat about how jail doesn't work, I have to remind them that it works in at least two ways. 1) people can't commit further offences when they are in jail and 2) at least the police won't be tied up chasing them or investigating their misdeeds, releasing them for the more important work. (like filling speed cameras with film?)
..... etc.

(And perhaps those reading on the harder-left part of the spectrum may like to explain how they square their apparent pro-pot attitude with the firm anti-drugs stances of the numerous communist regimes about the world.)

Plus it's interesting to note that one wavy liberal argument is that by legalising something you cut the crime rates. Well, if these determined people want to get high without the worry of not having to pay their 80 quid fines, they still have to explain why they can't be satisfied with fags and whisky like the rest of us. - Come on! Dare you enlighten us!

And on top of all that, the domino effect of one drug being legalised to pave the way for another will only save the lives of evil scum like this:

BBC News | UK | Drugs baron killed fellow inmate

snopes.com: Wrought Iron Fence Decapitation - They so dementedly ruin lives, even theirs are at risk!

(Note: Disturbing articles. Do not view if of a sensitive nature, or a liberal who wails every time a 'misunderstood' criminal gets what he's due!)

The rest of the drugs are illegal for many good reasons.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom