• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

California's Vanished Dream, by the Numbers

Conservative

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative

Even today amid a mounting exodus among those who can afford it, and with its appeal diminished to businesses and newcomers, California, legendary state of American dreams, continues to inspire optimism among progressive boosters.

Laura Tyson: Democrat luminary touts California's policies for creating a more enlightened "market capitalism."
Twitter
Laura Tyson, the longtime Democratic economist now at the University of California at Berkeley, praises the state for creating “the way forward” to a more enlightened “market capitalism.” Like-minded analysts tout Silicon Valley’s massive wealth generation as evidence of progressivism’s promise. The Los Angeles Times suggested approvingly that the Biden administration’s goal is to “make America California again.” And, despite dark prospects in November’s midterm elections, the President and his party still seem intent on proving it.

But most Californians, according to recent surveys, see things differently. They point to rising poverty and inequality, believe the state is in recession and that it is headed in the wrong direction. Parting with the state’s cheerleaders, the New York Times’ Ezra Klein, a reliable progressive and native Californian, says the Golden State’s failures are “making liberals squirm.”

This Bastion of Blue liberalism is an example of poor Democrat Leadership for decades as the last time it had a GOP legislature was back in the 80's. Supporters can tout the beautiful beaches, mountains, and 5th largest economy IN THE WORLD but all that does is divert from the real results, poverty, homeless, high cost of living, high taxes, poor quality of life, pollution, wage gap and exodus of the people. Too many people living in a bubble oblivious to the reality of what is really happening in the state

Reactions: PoS

This Bastion of Blue liberalism is an example of poor Democrat Leadership for decades as the last time it had a GOP legislature was back in the 80's. Supporters can tout the beautiful beaches, mountains, and 5th largest economy IN THE WORLD but all that does is divert from the real results, poverty, homeless, high cost of living, high taxes, poor quality of life, pollution, wage gap and exodus of the people. Too many people living in a bubble oblivious to the reality of what is really happening in the state
This data is a bit old, but I wouldn't be surprised if it still holds; one ranking of states by income inequality:

1650032097605.png

... so there is some truth to the assertion it's skewed toward blue states, though that is by no means uniform. Wyoming is almost certainly there because Jackson Hole is a tax haven for the ulta-rich, but it's clear we have some of the bluest of the blue in the top ten.

Where do you think the poor and homeless would go? Of course, California has an influx of destitute people. It's warm, sunny and one certainly won't freeze in the winter.
I mean, they're damn sure not going to places where they'll freeze in the winter or get beat up by the authorities.
The problem is not California, The problem is we live in a low-wage slave society...with little social help. Brazil, Canada, Chili, Denmark, Finland, Hong Cong, Iceland , India..YES..INDIA..., Iceland, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, Norway, Poland
New Zealand, plus many more countries that have lower homeless rates than we do.
It's OUR fault and who we vote for. Hint: Regarding the homeless...Our so-called system?....It Ain't Workin'.

Where do you think the poor and homeless would go? Of course, California has an influx of destitute people. It's warm, sunny and one certainly won't freeze in the winter.
I mean, they're damn sure not going to places where they'll freeze in the winter or get beat up by the authorities.
The problem is not California, The problem is we live in a low-wage slave society...with little social help. Brazil, Canada, Chili, Denmark, Finland, Hong Cong, Iceland , India..YES..INDIA..., Iceland, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, Norway, Poland
New Zealand, plus many more countries that have lower homeless rates than we do.
It's OUR fault and who we vote for. Hint: Regarding the homeless...Our so-called system?....It Ain't Workin'.
So what is your solution? sure isn't working in California under liberal leadership for decades, the fifth largest economy in the world that isn't getting to the people in need there. How can a state like California, liberal leadership, massive economy not solve those social problems? It is easy to whine and complain about "our system" but apparently not so easy to provide a solution, especially one in a state under total Blue leadership for decades implementing every liberal social program created

Shocker. Another state bashing thread by conservative.

You must think the term "united" states is an antiquated notion.

Is this where we should bash red states as well?

Right, results and policies don't matter, just your partisan bs. what in that article is false and why can't the bluest state in the nation with all the assets from their economy solve the problem. You offer no solutions just typical liberal rhetoric

Right, results and policies don't matter, just your partisan bs.

Thread after thread of state bashing and you call me partisan?

what in that article is false and why can't the bluest state in the nation with all the assets from their economy solve the problem. You offer no solutions just typical liberal rhetoric
Well if you can't beat them, then join them...part of the problem with the economy is all the read state obesity is a drain on our medical system.

The terrible schools in red states makes it harder to find all the competent workers we need which is affecting the economy.

Opioid use in red states is also a drain.

Not to mention murder rates per Capita.

Very little contribution from red states to federal coffers because red states produce so little compared to blue states.

Little population in many red states because nobody wants to live there. They would rather live in the California you describe instead of the crap hole red states.

Which is understandable considering the failing infrastructure that exists in red states.

Wow. Who needs Russian trolls and agitators when home grown Americans can engage in conservative's anti American state bashing?

You and others here are very vocal about making issues like this purely political but noticed how silent you are when asked for solutions other than bashing Conservatives. There is no justification for this to be an issue in California when it is the bluest state in the nation and has an economy that can solve any problem. the real issue is the fraud called liberal/Progressive where it is all about feel good rhetoric, spending in the name of compassion, appealing to the heart but ignoring reality. California is an example of what America can be if liberal/progressive policies are generated, the rich get richer and the poor remain dependent.

Thread after thread of state bashing and you call me partisan?
No I call it reality and focus on results
Well if you can't beat them, then join them...part of the problem with the economy is all the read state obesity is a drain on our medical system.

The terrible schools in red states makes it harder to find all the competent workers we need which is affecting the economy.

Opioid use in red states is also a drain.

Not to mention murder rates per Capita.

Very little contribution from red states to federal coffers because red states produce so little compared to blue states.

Little population in many red states because nobody wants to live there. They would rather live in the California you describe instead of the crap hole red states.

Which is understandable considering the failing infrastructure that exists in red states.

Wow. Who needs Russian trolls and agitators when home grown Americans can engage in conservative's anti American state bashing?
See, there you go again, red bad blue good with the reality not existing. California has the economy thus the economic power to solve all those problems but hasn't, why? It is all about power and keeping but people like you just are easily indoctrinated into believing rhetoric and ignoring results. All these problems in Red states? California, the bluest of them all is a shining example of liberalism as the article describes and census data supports, leading the nation in poverty, homeless, illegals, cost of living, poor quality of life, massive wage gap all coming from the richest state in the country and the bluest. A true indictment of liberalism

No I call it reality and focus on results

See, there you go again, red bad blue good

No. That is what you started. That is what you always start. You blast blue state and pretend red states are some kind of utopia. It's silly, pathetic and anti American.

with the reality not existing. California has the economy thus the economic power to solve all those problems but hasn't,

How come red states don't solve their problems?

why
? It is all about power and keeping but people like you just are easily indoctrinated into believing rhetoric and ignoring results.

"People like me"...more partisan monesense.

All these problems in Red states? California, the bluest of them all is a shining example of liberalism as the article describes and census data supports, leading the nation in poverty, homeless, illegals, cost of living, poor quality of life, massive wage gap all coming from the richest state in the country and the bluest. A true indictment of liberalism
Yep, you mentioned all this...thread after thread after thread while ignoring issues in red states. A true indictment of conservatism. Blind partisan loyalty.

I have lived in Los Angeles since the 1940s.

Yes, this city & California have dramatically changed.

Some for the better (a police chief could once openly say something like, "We did not ask for ethnicity X to come to this city") and some for the worse (at no time have criminals been more brazen, even daring to do their dirty deeds in tony suburbs such as West Hollywood and Beverly Hills).

But if you have enough money to live here, there is no better place to live because of the fantastic weather all year long.

No snow, no hurricanes, no heavy rains, no oppressive heat, etc.

No. That is what you started. That is what you always start. You blast blue state and pretend red states are some kind of utopia. It's silly, pathetic and anti American.
Never made that claim and asked a very specific question which you keep dodging because you cannot answer it, California is the richest state in the country with the fifth largest economy in the world and has been blue for decades yet has these problems, Why can't California solve those problems is it as expected they don't want to solve the problem by keeping people dependent?
How come red states don't solve their problems?
Because red states aren't as rich as California
"People like me"...more partisan monesense.
No, reality, not nonsense. Keep ignoring the reality that California is a social disaster under liberal leadership
Yep, you mentioned all this...thread after thread after thread while ignoring issues in red states. A true indictment of conservatism. Blind partisan loyalty.
Your loyalty defies logic, common sense and the facts, It is one thing to be loyal but another to let that ideology make a fool out of you. You offer no solutions and I gave you a perfect example of liberal/progressive failure

Some for the better (a police chief could once openly say something like, "We did not ask for ethnicity X to come to this city") and some for the worse (at no time have criminals been more brazen, even daring to do their dirty deeds in tony suburbs such as West Hollywood and Beverly Hills).

But if you have enough money to live here, there is no better place to live because of the fantastic weather all year long.

Couldn't agree more on the weather, the beaches, and the mountains but you cannot transfer those to other areas but you can transfer the social and fiscal problems and that is what I am against.

In addition to environmental issues, CA treats homeless people like people. Homelessness is rarely the result of personal choice.

And our state's problems with the homeless would be lessened if CA stopped being forced to subsidize low tax states by sending the Federal government more in taxes than we receive in benefits.

Couldn't agree more on the weather, the beaches, and the mountains but you cannot transfer those to other areas but you can transfer the social and fiscal problems and that is what I am against.
Let's tell it as it is!

When it comes to social problems, for example, this nation has already passed the point of no return.

The current administration is following an open border policy, for example.

They might as well tear down the remaining parts of the wall between the U.S. and our southern neighbor. They are a-coming here, and the Dems are welcoming them with open arms (and free phones).

This is a new America.

As the activists say, either accept it or get out!

Reactions: PoS
If you don't like California, don't go there. There are plenty of far right wing states to live in.

That’s the rub, if you’re rich enough then anywhere’s a great place to live.

I love hearing though California boosters saying “California is better than all you dumb
red states” and “we’re the 5th largest economy in the world”

I guarantee people who say that don’t spend much time in Huntington Park, or Compton, or East LA, or the south of Fresno.

It’s really amazing, because I live in an inner suburb of LA and I have to carry out my business in Spanish, bars on the windows, graffiti etc

Then I drive only half an hour to beach towns and my goodness you don’t even know you’re in the same country.

Those are the people who boost California

If you don't like California, don't go there. There are plenty of far right wing states to live in.
Do you even live in California?

And I’m an American citizen, I’ll live where I want

In addition to environmental issues, CA treats homeless people like people.
CA pampers their homeless, which is why the state has far and away the most number of bums in the entire country. Sickening, really.

Let's not even bring up the illegal aliens into this, because CA is also the worst when it comes to their numbers too...

Do you even live in California?

And I’m an American citizen, I’ll live where I want
Then if you choose California over a far right wing state, I suppose that you take what you get.

In addition to environmental issues, CA treats homeless people like people. Homelessness is rarely the result of personal choice.

Wrong. Substance abuse is a personal choice
And our state's problems with the homeless would be lessened if CA stopped being forced to subsidize low tax states by sending the Federal government more in taxes than we receive in benefits.
No, it wouldn’t. California does not recieve more than it spends. This is a pointless measure you can only find on spread sheets. California without access to the rest of America would rapidly have become Venezuela

How naive, there is a percentage of homeless that is about personal choice, bad decision making

Your state doesn't subsidize low taxed states, stop the liberal bullshit, that is an excuse for failure of liberal economics

Wrong. Substance abuse is a personal choice

No, it wouldn’t. California does not recieve more than it spends. This is a pointless measure you can only find on spread sheets. California without access to the rest of America would rapidly have become Venezuela
That argument from the left is pure liberal ignorance and indoctrination, They have no clue what dollars go back to the states or what they fund all coming from Federal mandates and federal expenses. Wonder how the left in California would feel about paying for federal expenses in their state? I sure wish liberals would do some research instead of continuing to buy the rhetoric about more dollars going to the federal gov't than coming back

How naive, there is a percentage of homeless that is about personal choice, bad decision making

Your state doesn't subsidize low taxed states, stop the liberal bullshit, that is an excuse for failure of liberal economics
Of course California subsidizes red states

What you are saying is that the rich shouldn't have to subsidize the poor, and I agree. California sends more money to fedgov than red states because Californians have relatively high incomes, therefore they pay more income taxes under our progressive income tax system.

Back
Top Bottom