• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

California's Vanished Dream, by the Numbers

What you are saying is that the rich shouldn't have to subsidize the poor, and I agree. California sends more money to fedgov than red states because Californians have relatively high incomes, therefore they pay more income taxes under our progressive income tax system.
They have higher incomes because it is a successful state

What you are saying is that the rich shouldn't have to subsidize the poor, and I agree. California sends more money to fedgov than red states because Californians have relatively high incomes, therefore they pay more income taxes under our progressive income tax system.
True but that has nothing to do with the dollars going back to the states as those dollars fund federal expenses and mandates created by Congress which Congress can stop at any time. This is purely an argument from a very poorly educated progressive/liberal group of people using it as an excuse for poor economic performance, they don't have dollars for social problems in their state because they subsidize lower taxed states which obviously is FALSE

Never made that claim and asked a very specific question which you keep dodging because you cannot answer it, California is the richest state in the country with the fifth largest economy in the world and has been blue for decades yet has these problems, Why can't California solve those problems is it as expected they don't want to solve the problem by keeping people dependent?

Because the problems are extremely complex. The same reason most states can't solve their problems.

Not to mention things not in their control.

Many homeless are vets.

Many homeless in Cali are not from Cali but from other states...the weather and all.

Surely mental health plays a big role.

Perhaps they could stop all programs that help the homeless, and admittedly perpetuates their problem. The homeless would likely eventually move other more generous states absolving Cali of their issue.

Because red states aren't as rich as California

No, reality, not nonsense. Keep ignoring the reality that California is a social disaster under liberal leadership

If it was such a disaster, people wouldn't live there. That is how capitalism works. People WANT to live there so prices have risen to meet demand.

Your loyalty defies logic, common sense and the facts, It is one thing to be loyal but another to let that ideology make a fool out of you. You offer no solutions and I gave you a perfect example of liberal/progressive failure
Pot meet kettle...but that aside...

....Loyalty has nothing to do with it. I offer no solutions because expecting me to have solutions for such complex issues defies logic.

If your point is I can't solve America's problem then I wave the white flag. You win.

Because the problems are extremely complex. The same reason most states can't solve their problems.

Not to mention things not in their control.

Many homeless are vets.

Many homeless in Cali are not from Cali but from other states...the weather and all.

Surely mental health plays a big role.

Perhaps they could stop all programs that help the homeless, and admittedly perpetuates their problem. The homeless would likely eventually move other more generous states absolving Cali of their issue.
No, liberals make the simple complex not vice versa. You want this country to be like California yet ignore the problems in California. If the state of California with the highest taxes and cost of living in the country cannot solve the social problems why should that be duplicated across the country? the richest state in the nation and the fifth largest economy in the world with these kind of problems that you say are complex?
If it was such a disaster, people wouldn't live there. That is how capitalism works. People WANT to live there so prices have risen to meet demand.
Taxpayers are leaving the state, why?
Pot meet kettle...but that aside...

....Loyalty has nothing to do with it. I offer no solutions because expecting me to have solutions for such complex issues defies logic.

If your point is I can't solve America's problem then I wave the white flag. You win.
Loyalty has everything to do with it and still no answer to the question. You can't solve your own state problems why do you think you can solve America's problems by making it like California?

No, liberals make the simple complex not vice versa. You want this country to be like California yet ignore the problems in California. If the state of California with the highest taxes and cost of living in the country cannot solve the social problems why should that be duplicated across the country? the richest state in the nation and the fifth largest economy in the world with these kind of problems that you say are complex?

My curiosity is piqued. What is your solution?

Taxpayers are leaving the state, why?

I already explained. Capitalism. Cost of living increases because the state is crowded and people want the live there. Some people, as a result, are priced out of a comfortable living so move to less expensive states. Seems pretty simple to me.

I would expect conversely if Cali suddenly had a mass exodus that prices would fall and people would stop leaving and many would move there.

Loyalty has everything to do with it and still no answer to the question. You can't solve your own state problems why do you think you can solve America's problems by making it like California?
Just an FYI, I do not nor have not ever lived in Cali. I have been through a couple times but that is about it.

All states have problems. You simply cherry pick Cali cause you're partison.

Loyalty? I have a trackable history of calling out the dem party when I don't like a policy or action.

Admittedly, In the last few years I have been far more supportive of dems overall because you know, Trump. Other then that I have problems with both parties. My loyalty is to my own ideologies and not to a single party and certainly not to a single man.

CA pampers their homeless, which is why the state has far and away the most number of bums in the entire country. Sickening, really.

Let's not even bring up the illegal aliens into this, because CA is also the worst when it comes to their numbers too...
Spoken as if you have no clue about what happens in CA...

Wrong. Substance abuse is a personal choice

No, it wouldn’t. California does not recieve more than it spends. This is a pointless measure you can only find on spread sheets. California without access to the rest of America would rapidly have become Venezuela
How many housed people abuse substances?

The 5th largest economy in the world doesn't need the US to be an economic engine. Conversely, if CA left the US, many taker states would have to raise their taxes or lower their benefits. Dismissal of the fact that CA provides more benefits to other states than they receive in benefits is as easily proved as proving KY receives more federal benefits than they pay for.

That's ridiculous. We have higher expenses as well, it costs more to house people in CA than anywhere else in the nation.

Where do you think the poor and homeless would go? Of course, California has an influx of destitute people. It's warm, sunny and one certainly won't freeze in the winter.
I mean, they're damn sure not going to places where they'll freeze in the winter or get beat up by the authorities.
The problem is not California, The problem is we live in a low-wage slave society...with little social help. Brazil, Canada, Chili, Denmark, Finland, Hong Cong, Iceland , India..YES..INDIA..., Iceland, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, Norway, Poland
New Zealand, plus many more countries that have lower homeless rates than we do.
It's OUR fault and who we vote for. Hint: Regarding the homeless...Our so-called system?....It Ain't Workin'.
If it was the weather responsible for the numbers, and democratic policies play no part in it, then how do you explain the numbers from 2010 to 2020?

* New York and Massachusetts increased, while Pennsylvania and Ohio went down... These states are not warm and sunny.
* California went up 30%, while Texas, Arizona, and Florida all went down.

homelessByState.jpg

homelessByState2.jpg

No snow, no hurricanes, no heavy rains, no oppressive heat, etc
....But overdue for the "big one" I lived in West Covina and then San Bernardino for 30 years and lucked out. In Idaho now. Only occasional snow and thats about it.

They have higher incomes because it is a successful state
No, its because employers in CA must pay people more because of the cost of living. It's an EXPENSIVE state more than a successful one. If it's so successful why are so many leaving like I did? I made 60K a year in CA doing what I do, and make almost a third less than that in ID where I live now. That may be changing soon because everyone is fleeing to ID r now and it's growing fast.

No, its because employers in CA must pay people more because of the cost of living. It's an EXPENSIVE state more than successful one. If it's so successful why are so many leaving like I did? I made 60K a year in CA doing what I do, and make almost a third less than that in ID where I live now. That may be changing soon because everyone is fleeing to ID r now and it's growing fast.
The cost of living is high because it's a great place to live

That may be changing soon because everyone is fleeing to ID r now and it's growing fast.
My deepest condolences to you and the other good people in Idaho.

I was hoping that Idaho could stay pristine and hidden from view.

So great that you cant buy a shack in any of its cities for less than a million due to massive demand
LMAO... You think it's a plus that people have to pay a million dollars for a shack? People have had enough of paying outrageous state taxes, having the highest gas prices in the nation, and having to deal with a stifling regulatory burden that makes it almost impossible for entrepreneurship.

You just gave one of the many reasons people have had enough of that state, and you don't even realize it.

LMAO... You think it's a plus that people have to pay a million dollars for a shack? People have had enough of paying outrageous state taxes, having the highest gas prices in the nation, and having to deal with a stifling regulatory burden that makes it almost impossible for entrepreneurship.

You just gave one of the many reasons people have had enough of that state, and you don't even realize it.
Must be a great place to have all that demand

My curiosity is piqued. What is your solution?

I would change leadership. I don't live in California but certainly ask what I am getting for my tax dollars if I did
I already explained. Capitalism. Cost of living increases because the state is crowded and people want the live there. Some people, as a result, are priced out of a comfortable living so move to less expensive states. Seems pretty simple to me.
Bullshit, 5th largest world economy, liberal leadership, liberal economics, liberal results. This is what you want for the nation?
I would expect conversely if Cali suddenly had a mass exodus that prices would fall and people would stop leaving and many would move there.
Not with the same leadership
Just an FYI, I do not nor have not ever lived in Cali. I have been through a couple times but that is about it.

All states have problems. You simply cherry pick Cali cause you're partison.
Cherry pick? California results aren't cherry picked, they lead the nation is the worst categories with the highest taxes and cost of living.
Loyalty? I have a trackable history of calling out the dem party when I don't like a policy or action.

Admittedly, In the last few years I have been far more supportive of dems overall because you know, Trump. Other then that I have problems with both parties. My loyalty is to my own ideologies and not to a single party and certainly not to a single man.
Yes, I know, Trump and his personality. I voted for his policies and results, now we are paying or your decision to support Biden

You and others here are very vocal about making issues like this purely political but noticed how silent you are when asked for solutions other than bashing Conservatives. There is no justification for this to be an issue in California when it is the bluest state in the nation and has an economy that can solve any problem. the real issue is the fraud called liberal/Progressive where it is all about feel good rhetoric, spending in the name of compassion, appealing to the heart but ignoring reality. California is an example of what America can be if liberal/progressive policies are generated, the rich get richer and the poor remain dependent.
Sounds like the same problem everywhere:

Some rich people are insatiable.

No rich people want to pay taxes.

Rich people can arrange to get politicians to cut their taxes.

These are the same people who have been making life suck for everybody else forever.

Sounds like the same problem everywhere:

Some rich people are insatiable.

No rich people want to pay taxes.

Rich people can arrange to get politicians to cut their taxes.

These are the same people who have been making life suck for everybody else forever.
Then why would anyone support liberal economics with California, New York results. Both states under Democrat control true liberals utopia

Then why would anyone support liberal economics with California, New York results. Both states under Democrat control true liberals utopia
Very successful states

No, its because employers in CA must pay people more because of the cost of living. It's an EXPENSIVE state more than a successful one. If it's so successful why are so many leaving like I did? I made 60K a year in CA doing what I do, and make almost a third less than that in ID where I live now. That may be changing soon because everyone is fleeing to ID r now and it's growing fast.
you will need to get your own private Idaho!

Because some democrat politicians are assholes like most republicans.

Back
Top Bottom