• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

California's New Law

Brutal

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Can someone explain to me how making it legal for a 14-year-old to have sex with a 24-year-old protects children?

Can someone explain to me how making it legal for a 14-year-old to have sex with a 24-year-old protects children?
Context please. Link to the law would be a good start.

Sent from my cp3705A using Tapatalk

What CA law are you wanting explained? Provide a link so we are all clear on what you are wanting to discuss.

Who told you this is legal and why on earth did you just accept their claim unquestioningly?

edit: Oh, saw the registration date. Nice try, Ivan.

Here you go dipshit

You are misrepresenting the bill. What it is doing is not legalizing statutory rape, but rather letting the judge have discretion on if to force someone to be on the sexual registry or not in the case of same sex sexual encounters. They already have the ability if the encounter is heterosexual. It doesn't make it less illegal. It is just treating same sex encounters the same as opposite sex encounters, and leaving the judgement specifically to the judge.

Didn't Obama and the Democrats allow CHILDREN up to the age of 26 years old to stay on their parents health insurance? Next they will be trying anyone under 26 years old as a minor. How truly pathetic.

Didn't Obama and the Democrats allow CHILDREN up to the age of 26 years old to stay on their parents health insurance? Next they will be trying anyone under 26 years old as a minor. How truly pathetic.
Just looking for any unrelated thread to post your talking points on? Grrrr, I'm a bear, grrrrr.

I imagine that this argument was common as the age of adulthood was raised from 14 on up throughout the centuries.

I imagine that this argument was common as the age of adulthood was raised from 14 on up throughout the centuries.
Only leftists consider chidlren to be as old as 26, because they never mature mentally. Anyone who still lives at home beyond the age of 18 has some very serious mental issues and very defective and obviously incompent parents.

Only leftists consider chidlren to be as old as 26, because they never mature mentally. Anyone who still lives at home beyond the age of 18 has some very serious mental issues and very defective and obviously incompent parents.
And there was a period in history where we could easily exchange those numbers for 18 and 14 respectfully, and that was the view of society then. Face it, the reality of history is that we've been pushing the age of majority (adulthood) back further and further.

Sent from my cp3705A using Tapatalk

Remind us the ages to drink alcohol, use tobacco, and rent a car (many states and/or companies).

Pretty sure it isnt just Democrats.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

It doesn't. So long as it was "consensual," a judge can be convinced that a college graduate-aged man grooming your middle school-aged son for his pleasure is not a sick crime.

That is flat up the stupidest post I have seen on this or any other platform.

Congratulations.

It doesn't make it legal, it has to do with giving a judge the same leeway as in heterosexual cases on whether the person convicted on the sex offenders list. You seem to have missed the point entirely.....

It doesn't. So long as it was "consensual," a judge can be convinced that a college graduate-aged man grooming your middle school-aged son for his pleasure is not a sick crime.
Wrong again, you guys don't seem to have actually read what they did. You can still be convicted, but they leave it up to a judges discretion on whether to add them to the sex offenders list, which was already law in California for heterosexual cases. They just made the playing field even.
Let's look at an example, say a male that is 18 is having consensual sex with his 16 year old girlfriend and the parents press statutory rape charges and he is convicted, does he belong on the sex offenders list? Most people would say No, as would many judges. Now the same applies to homosexual cases. Not sure what the problem is here.

I think you are missing my point, Casper. I am against the law in its entirety whether applied to homosexual or heterosexual relationships. I do not think a judge should have any discretion as to whether an 24 year-old has sex with a 14 year old.

I think you are missing my point, Casper. I am against the law in its entirety whether applied to homosexual or heterosexual relationships. I do not think a judge should have any discretion as to whether an 24 year-old has sex with a 14 year old.
You're missing the point of the law. It does not legalize or allow sex between two people with a 2.5+ year age difference. The only thing that changes is whether or not the older person goes on the RSO list. Now I will grant that by making the vaginal sex automatic RSO list like the oral and anal sex was, that would also have been making the law equal and non-discriminatory, and probably the way they should have. But in no way does it allow sex between a 24 YO and a 14 YO

Just pointing out, it is not making that action legal. It is giving discretion up to the judge if the person being accused goes onto the sex registry or not for same sex couples. That already is the law for heterosexual couples. It's not automatic, nor does it make it legal. It just makes gays and straights being equal under the law.

Nobody has done that. Why would you ask such a question?

Just pointing out, it is not making that action legal. It is giving discretion up to the judge if the person being accused goes onto the sex registry or not for same sex couples. That already is the law for heterosexual couples. It's not automatic, nor does it make it legal. It just makes gays and straights being equal under the law.
Actually in reading it, it doesn't just affect same sex couple. If a blowjob was being given between an opposite sex couple, by the previous law, the older automatically went on the RSO list. However, given the acts, it was a guaranteed RSO listing for same sex couples because they could not engage in PIV sex

Here you go dipshit

"The current law, in place for decades, permits judges to decide whether a man should be placed on California's sex offender registry if he had voluntary intercourse with someone 14 to 17 years old and was no more than 10 years older than the person.

But that discretion only applied to a man who had vaginal intercourse. The new change permits judges to use that same discretion when the case involves voluntary oral or anal sex."

What about an 18 year old man and a 16 year old girl?

Back
Top Bottom