• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

California's New Law

Yes

Dude. Did you miss my answer?
Statutory rape is not the topic of the thread. Hence why I keep asking what does your question have to do with the thread?

Statutory rape is not the topic of the thread. Hence why I keep asking what does your question have to do with the thread?

to see how many republicans/conservatives/social conservatives have had sex with underage girls.

to see how many republicans/conservatives/social conservatives have had sex with underage girls.
Which is a non-sequitur. Why are you inserting a non-related topic into this thread.

because i want to know.
AS long as you're being open and honest about thread jacking......

But while we're at it we also need to know how many democrats/liberals/social liberals have had sex with underage girls.

AS long as you're being open and honest about thread jacking......

But while we're at it we also need to know how many democrats/liberals/social liberals have had sex with underage girls.

another great question for this thread.

another great question for this thread.
Can't forget the anarchists and moderates now that I'm thinking about it....

Sent from my cp3705A using Tapatalk

Can't forget the anarchists and moderates now that I'm thinking about it....

yes. i'd love to know how many posters had sex with underage boys/girls.

it's always been my belief that a TON of people do things (not just sex) then grow up and tell people not to do the exact same things that they did at that age (which normally doesn't work). millions grow up to be preachers (and i'm not speaking of religion).

yes. i'd love to know how many posters had sex with underage boys/girls.

Now here is the real question. DO you realize how different this question is from your initial questions?

it's always been my belief that a TON of people do things (not just sex) then grow up and tell people not to do the exact same things that they did at that age (which normally doesn't work). millions grow up to be preachers (and i'm not speaking of religion).

Keep in mind a couple of factors. First people do things when they were young, and then later, more mature, they realizes how wrong they were. It's not hypocritical to reverse your stance. It's only hypocritical to say the opposite of what you do.

Secondly, you can't criticize people for doing something that was legal then that is illegal now. A lot of those age gaps laws are relatively recent. As in changes even within my half century of life. While we have a better idea of how mature a person likely is at a given age (acceding to the fact that there are those more and less mature for the given age), such was not always the case. Or more accurately, what we considered mature back then was based upon what data we had at the time. So our ages of consent now, do not necessarily reflect what we thought then. Granted, some of our current ages of consent laws are the results of laws not changed. So, while an 18 YO having sex with a 15 year old, is considered having sex with someone underage now, it wasn't back then, and a person doing so back then should not be condemned now, assuming consent was given by both parties. SO given all that, I might well condemn a 24 yo for having sex with a 15 yo when they were 18, than I would a currently 75 yo for having sex with a 15 yo when they were 18.

Secondly, you can't criticize people for doing something that was legal then that is illegal now.

hang on.

if a state once had a law that said it was okay to have sex with a 14yo, and now says 16yo is the minimum age, is it still okay to have sex with a 14yo?

hang on.

if a state once had a law that said it was okay to have sex with a 14yo, and now says 16yo is the minimum age, is it still okay to have sex with a 14yo?
Not what I was saying. What I meant was that we can't call someone out for sex with a 14 yo, if when they did it 14 was legal, and considered mature enough to decide, even if the age has gone up since then.

Or to put it another way. Joe (18) had sex with Jill (14) in 1955, and it was legal. In 1970, the age of consent was raised to 16. We cannot condem Joe for having sex with an under aged girl in '55 using the'70s standard. That standard was.not in place back when the event occured.

Not what I was saying. What I meant was that we can't call someone out for sex with a 14 yo, if when they did it 14 was legal, and considered mature enough to decide, even if the age has gone up since then.

Or to put it another way. Joe (18) had sex with Jill (14) in 1955, and it was legal. In 1970, the age of consent was raised to 16. We cannot condem Joe for having sex with an under aged girl in '55 using the'70s standard. That standard was.not in place back when the event occured.

If it was OK to have sex with a 14 year old girl 75 years ago why is it not OK now?

If it was OK to have sex with a 14 year old girl 75 years ago why is it not OK now?
Seriously, are you not getting it?

We didn't know better back then. Before, based on what we knew then, we thought that 14 was mature enough to decide to have sex or not. Today, with more knowledge and experience, we hold that it's not until 16 that a person is old enough to decide to have sex or not. We cannot blame someone for doing something when we thought alright before, at a point after we determine a different standard.

Seriously, are you not getting it?

We didn't know better back then. Before, based on what we knew then, we thought that 14 was mature enough to decide to have sex or not. Today, with more knowledge and experience, we hold that it's not until 16 that a person is old enough to decide to have sex or not. We cannot blame someone for doing something when we thought alright before, at a point after we determine a different standard.

who says we're right now versus then?

who says we're right now versus then?
Given that maturity will probably be a subjective value, dependant upon our times and conditions, I doubt that there is any true objective age at which to consider such. Not am I attempting to establish such.

I am simply noting that we cannot condemn a person for an action done in the past that was legal when done, based on the current standard. In other words, they are not retroactively guilty, if they were not guilty at the time of the action.

Only leftists consider chidlren to be as old as 26, because they never mature mentally. Anyone who still lives at home beyond the age of 18 has some very serious mental issues and very defective and obviously incompent parents.
okay boomer

Given that maturity will probably be a subjective value, dependant upon our times and conditions, I doubt that there is any true objective age at which to consider such. Not am I attempting to establish such.

I am simply noting that we cannot condemn a person for an action done in the past that was legal when done, based on the current standard. In other words, they are not retroactively guilty, if they were not guilty at the time of the action.

It's legal at different ages in our own different States right at this very moment.

Which state is correct?

Back
Top Bottom