• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

California's budget surplus has exploded to $68B

"California's going broke", "Chicago's a ****hole", and "NY's going to collapse under crime".

Yet when you compare the desirability of these cities in terms of real-estate prices & cost-of-living, they rank higher than nearly all the Red-GOP areas.

People vote with their dollars; free-markets don't lie.
I'd argue that the real estate prices and cost of living make such places less desirable, not more. These cities are large because they were hubs for commerce, drawing lots of people, which drew more companies, which drew more people. With the 21st century economy and the ability for many people to telework - it will be interesting to see how people "vote" on desirability of cities.

--

Hello, what's this? Record setting budget surplus? From California?

For whatever reason, California seems to often be a punching bag for Republicans & Conservatives, who claim California is everything wrong with America.

However, it would seem in terms of balancing their budget - California may be among the best in the nation.

It looks like the continuous stories of California going broke, are just that - stories!

Well it stands to reason, Chomsky, but speaking as a conservative, my problem with California's government is not overspending, it is overtaxing.

The California government simply taxes us too damn much and now they have 68 billion dollars more than they needed. Time to lower taxes or give refunds.

If anything, it looks like the regs helped the economy.

No one wants to live in an unregulated fracas. They think they do, but it's wishful thinking.
Some do..becsuse they don't understand

How much did they get from the federal government in the big COVID funding bills? Lots and lots of states are running big surpluses because of that. They haven't spent it all yet.

I might entertain that. But then, it would apply to all states, would it not?

Have you got numbers?

"California's going broke", "Chicago's a ****hole", and "NY's going to collapse under crime".

Yet when you compare the desirability of these cities in terms of real-estate prices & cost-of-living, they rank higher than nearly all the Red-GOP areas.

People vote with their dollars; free-markets don't lie.
Tim Pole made a great, genius observation on his podcast a few weeks ago that basically goes (paraphrase) " There are no Blue States, just Blue Cities that keep entire states hostage or prisoner".

I suspect it does.

Very high housing prices + temperate weather + urban environment + tolerant government, will do that!
That about sums it up. And yet righties like to pretend that getting rid of the tolerant government will improve the situation. They ignore the factors that actually matter.

CNN is owned by Warner Bros. Discovery, not AT&T.
Thanks, I could not remember which other Mega-Corporation AT&T sold piece of crap to 3 weeks ago. WOW you really got me good, what a sick burn, I need to take a cold shower just to cool off. Of course I also feel I need to shower from having to see that Festering Piece of Crap you have as a Profile Picture.

Thanks, I could not remember which other Mega-Corporation AT&T sold piece of crap to 3 weeks ago. WOW you really got me good, what a sick burn, I need to take a cold shower just to cool off. OF course I also feel I need to shower from having to see that Festering Piece of Crap you have as a Profile Picture.

You OK? 😄

That about sums it up. And yet righties like to pretend that getting rid of the tolerant government will improve the situation. They ignore the factors that actually matter.

Because on a political forum, everyone is sure the other guy's politics is the problem! ;)

Was it you that I gave the good advise to a few months ago? That if you have an Repulsive Piece of Crap as an avatar pic people are likely assume that you are also a Repulsive piece of Crap. That is not an ad hominem attack, just the type of mature parental advise that I would give to my own children.

Was it you that I gave the good advise to a few months ago? That if you have an Repulsive Piece of Crap as an avatar pic people are likely assume that you are also a Repulsive piece of Crap. That is not an ad hominem attack, just the type of mature parental advise that I would give to my own children.

What's the problem? 😁

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Well it stands to reason, Chomsky, but speaking as a conservative, my problem with California's government is not overspending, it is overtaxing.

The California government simply taxes us too damn much and now they have 68 billion dollars more than they needed. Time to lower taxes or give refunds.
Here in Colorado, they recently announced married couples filing jointly will receive 400 dollars each ( 800 total ) later this summer due to our budget surplus.

Also, as a side note, at least in the county I live in, senior citizens that are 66 years of age, or older, only pay 50% of property taxes for primary residences, provided the money is available. There has only been one year in the last 25 or so the discount wasn't given. The discount is an incentive to help keep senior citizens living in their homes in their golden years.

What's the problem? 😁

giphy-downsized-large.gif
I have an Idea that the Next POTUS wont be that thing, it will be the the Next GOP Speaker of the House after the next Congress impeaches Her and Pedophile Joe, and not even most Democrats will care.

I have an Idea that the Next POTUS wont be that thing, it will be the the Next GOP Speaker of the House after the next Congress impeaches Her and Pedophile Joe, and not even most Democrats will care.

Unhinged nonsense. Kevin McCarthy will never become President after what he said about Herr Trump.

I can very much respect that, Felis Leo.

The goal is to provide the least and most efficient government, that gets the job done.

Back
Top Bottom