• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

California wildfires: Death toll sets record as Santa Ana winds continue

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.axios.com/california-wi...125-4d5b7312-eff5-4bf5-9bc2-64173c8577bd.html

California's wildfire siege continues and may worsen Monday and Tuesday as thousands of firefighters continue to battle massive blazes up and down the state. Fanned by strong Santa Ana winds and taking advantage of near-record dry conditions, the fires are roaring into both neighborhoods and the record books.

The big picture: With at least 29 fatalities as of Monday morning, the Camp Fire has become the state's deadliest wildfire on record since 1933. With more than 200 people still missing, this wildfire, which all but destroyed the town of Paradise, about 90 miles north of Sacramento, is likely to overtake the Griffith Park Fire to become the state's deadliest such event on record.
=======================================
DJT: fierce winds & sustained drought have nothing to do with forest management.

Total forest mismanagement... disgusting.

https://www.axios.com/california-wi...125-4d5b7312-eff5-4bf5-9bc2-64173c8577bd.html

California's wildfire siege continues and may worsen Monday and Tuesday as thousands of firefighters continue to battle massive blazes up and down the state. Fanned by strong Santa Ana winds and taking advantage of near-record dry conditions, the fires are roaring into both neighborhoods and the record books.

The big picture: With at least 29 fatalities as of Monday morning, the Camp Fire has become the state's deadliest wildfire on record since 1933. With more than 200 people still missing, this wildfire, which all but destroyed the town of Paradise, about 90 miles north of Sacramento, is likely to overtake the Griffith Park Fire to become the state's deadliest such event on record.
DJT: fierce winds & sustained drought have nothing to do with forest management.

You're even going to politicize the death of 31 people, 200 missing?
Stay classy!

Stay classy!

Trump already politicized the deaths of people by his comments of wanting to withhold federal funding from California. He didn't even wait until corpses were recovered to politicize the fires. Why do you support Trumps politicization of the fires?

Clear some dead brush once in a while.

Total forest mismanagement... disgusting.

Question:
How would your manage brush fields (chaparral). How would you manage the coastal grasslands? Not all CA large fires are solely timber fires.

How hard should the State or Federal Government push for reduction of fuels on private land? Since your claiming mismanagement of the forest then the Feds have a great deal to account for since the majority of forests are federal.

You do realize that President Trump and Congress reduced the funding for wildland airtankers and fuel reduction programs. Yep, that helps in management.:mrgreen:

Trump already politicized the deaths of people by his comments of wanting to withhold federal funding from California. He didn't even wait until corpses were recovered to politicize the fires. Why do you support Trumps politicization of the fires?

Seriously.

Trump politicized it. But telling that horrible person that his grotesque, heartless politicization was factually incorrect is condemned as politicization?

What a topsy turvy world.

California.....Failing yet again to get the job done.

At some point the citizens should demand better.

Seriously.

Trump politicized it. But telling that horrible person that his grotesque, heartless politicization was factually incorrect is condemned as politicization?

What a topsy turvy world.

Trump will be gone at some point maybe soon, and California will still have the same fire problem they have now if they dont wise the **** up and figure some things out...

Maybe we should FOCUS!

Trump will be gone at some point maybe soon, and California will still have the same fire problem they have now if they dont wise the **** up and figure some things out...

Maybe we should FOCUS!

Focus on what? Do you actually care about solutions or are you here just to deflect from the well-deserved criticism being directed at Trump? Do you support addressing global warming?

In retrospect, if he had known that the Campe fire would be the deadliest in CA.'s history I doubt he would have started in with his politicizing. I am not making excuses for him either... At the time of his tweet, he should have not said anything but offer unconditional support for the missing and the suffering families of these fires.

I didn't like it when Obama did it after mass gun tragedies, and don't misunderstand me here, I don't defend it now.

I live in CA. and live in an area where there is a red flag warning. We have another 24 hours of low humidity, averaging around 7% throughout the day, 25 mph winds, and gusts to 46mph in my area.
This is no joke...

In retrospect, if he had known that the Campe fire would be the deadliest in CA.'s history I doubt he would have started in with his politicizing. I am not making excuses for him either... At the time of his tweet, he should have not said anything but offer unconditional support for the missing and the suffering families of these fires.

I didn't like it when Obama did it after mass gun tragedies, and don't misunderstand me here, I don't defend it now.

I live in CA. and live in an area where there is a red flag warning. We have another 24 hours of low humidity, averaging around 7% throughout the day, 25 mph winds, and gusts to 46mph in my area.
This is no joke...

Typical excuse from a Trump supporter, a REAL president WAITS until the fire actually is OUT before politicizing such an event in the way that he did. Typical of you to defend the action of a POS like Trump. Trump reacts out of EGO and MALICE instead of wanting to actually HELP those involved. Your defense of him shows your character.

Typical excuse from a Trump supporter, a REAL president WAITS until the fire actually is OUT before politicizing such an event in the way that he did. Typical of you to defend the action of a POS like Trump. Trump reacts out of EGO and MALICE instead of wanting to actually HELP those involved. Your defense of him shows your character.

Learn to read.

I wrote above that "I didn't like it when Obama did it after mass gun tragedies, and don't misunderstand me here, I don't defend it now."

"At the time of his tweet, he should have not said anything but offer unconditional support for the missing and the suffering families of these fires."

Where was your outrage when Obama was politicizing gun tragedies for his gun control bs when the corpses were still warm?

Save your phony outrage.

Learn to read.

I wrote above that "I didn't like it when Obama did it after mass gun tragedies, and don't misunderstand me here, I don't defend it now."

Where was your outrage when Obama was politicizing gun tragedies for his gun control bs?

I have already commented in the past about Obama and gun tragedies as I support the second amendment. You have instead used the excuse that Trump would have done differently had he known it to be a big fire, but the difference is a REAL president wouldn't care if it was a little or big fire and instead SHUT HIS MOUTH about partisan **** until the fire was out and victims and their families were taken care of.

You have yet to actually criticize Trump for his actions regardless if it was a big or small fire.

I have already commented in the past about Obama and gun tragedies as I support the second amendment. You have instead used the excuse that Trump would have done differently had he known it to be a big fire, but the difference is a REAL president wouldn't care if it was a little or big fire and instead SHUT HIS MOUTH about partisan **** until the fire was out and victims and their families were taken care of.

You have yet to actually criticize Trump for his actions regardless if it was a big or small fire.

You don't listen, I said, "save your phony outrage."

Stay classy!

The post you're replying to is about condemning politicizing the dead. You know, what your Dear Leader did?
Pay attention.

The post you're replying to is about condemning politicizing the dead. You know, what your Dear Leader did?
Pay attention.

I condemned him too.
You really should read the entire thread before you impetuously jump in.

I condemned him too.
You really should read the entire thread before you impetuously jump in.

Why? Did I miss another random untrue 'condemnation' from you?

Because I dont believe in blaming the Gods.

That’s it? The state of Calif is to blame for whateve started a fire, for dry timber that fed it, and the lack of rain? Send us your enlightened solutions and we’ll try them out. Next you’ll be blaming Florida for hurricanes and Kansas for tornados, and God help us if California has an earthquake.

That’s it? The state of Calif is to blame for whateve started a fire, for dry timber that fed it, and the lack of rain? Send us your enlightened solutions and we’ll try them out. Next you’ll be blaming Florida for hurricanes and Kansas for tornados, and God help us if California has an earthquake.

Of course Florida is partly to blame for the consequences of Hurricanes, which they know. Eventually they figured out that part of the problem has been poor building standards. If you build in Florida you know that a hurricane will show up eventually, it is a good idea to be reasonably ready, to take reasonable precautions....to put some effort into being ready.

We in America have not done this re fires, and I dont mean just in California, my understanding is that the states in the South have done an even worse job, but so far their luck has not run out.

Of course Florida is partly to blame for the consequences of Hurricanes, which they know. Eventually they figured out that part of the problem has been poor building standards. If you build in Florida you know that a hurricane will show up eventually, it is a good idea to be reasonably ready, to take reasonable precautions....to put some effort into being ready.

We in America have not done this re fires, and I dont mean just in California, my understanding is that the states in the South have done an even worse job, but so far their luck has not run out.

We’re talking past one another. My point was to wonder what California has done wrong, given that most of the forests here are national? You seemed to me to be blaming the state for our lack of rain or global warming.

We’re talking past one another. My point was to wonder what California has done wrong, given that most of the forests here are national? You seemed to me to be blaming the state for our lack of rain or global warming.

There is no mystery here, the reasons we are getting these huge uncontrollable burns worse that we need to given all of the dead trees from the drought and then the follow on problems such as out of control bark beetles are well known. Part of it is that people have been allowed to build and often not build very well where they should not be, the lands around the structures have too much fuel because of bad practices, we dont do anywhere near as much logging as we need to do to keep the forest healthy, we dont burn as much biomass for electricity as we used to, we dont do enough mechanical strip clearing in a systematic way to provide preset fire brakes because it is expensive and people dont like how it looks, we dont do enough burns to clear out fuel because people dont like the smoke and now would yell "GLOBAL WARMING!" at their politicians who allowed it, we dont keep the trees around power lines properly cut back because of costs and power company negligence, Cal Fire always puts out fires ASAP instead of letting them burn so more fuel builds up, in both state and federal agencies Forest health projects keep getting raided for firefighting so the budgets are shrinking and are unstable, the warning systems and prudent citizen advice/direction has long be very sub-par because of bureaucratic bungling. inter-agency cooperation has long been poor because of bungling, efforts that need to take place in Washington rarely to never happen because of lack of interest and because Washington is generally a very broken down corrupt place where just about none of the work that needs to get done ever gets done blah blah blah.

What is wrong is known, when we are going to decide to be better is not....we have a guy at DP who claims to be a 30 year experienced expert who told me the other day (Yesterday?) that the experts know what to do, it is the poor quality work from the politicians that is the problem....that is my message as well.

Last edited:
Stay classy!

Sorry - it was trump that exploited this tragedy for political reasons. Or didn't you see the tweet where he claimed the fires were due to incompetent forest management and then threatened California with funding cuts. I've given up hoping trump would ever be 'classy'. DISGUSTING CREATURE.

Back
Top Bottom