• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

California Wildfires- a climate bellwether?

There were several accounts of se
Really? Because the video you just posted doesn't say a thing about Antifa or any other progressive or liberal groups.

Come on Lord... show us all that you are not just all talk and provide a local news story that blames these wildfires on Antifa or other progressive/liberal groups.
I said this was just one account. I'm not going to look them all up. Do your own homework.

The wildfires have nothing at all to do with Antifa or liberal vs. conservative, but about land management and climate change. The answers have to come from science, and not politics, otherwise there will be no solution to the problem.

I agree entirely.

I'm just calling out Lord on his spreading of stupid conspiracy theories designed to make liberals and progressives look bad.

I agree entirely.

I'm just calling out Lord on his spreading of stupid conspiracy theories designed to make liberals and progressives look bad.
Land management only accounts for the severity of the fires.

The power companies here in Oregon cut power to power transmission lines going over the areas before the winds started, as a preventative measure.

There was no lighting.

Most , if not all fires were arson.

There were several accounts of se

I said this was just one account. I'm not going to look them all up. Do your own homework.

Don't lie. You said 'many' and that 'a few cited' Antifa. You can't provide even one.

Yup... still all talk and no proof.

Don't lie. You said 'many' and that 'a few cited' Antifa. You can't provide even one.

Yup... still all talk and no proof.
Personally prove it?

No.

However, there is plenty of local evidence.

Personally prove it?

No.

However, there is plenty of local evidence.

What evidence? Come on Lord... you started this. Now back up what you said for once and show that you are, in fact, not all talk and no proof.

What evidence? Come on Lord... you started this. Now back up what you said for once and show that you are, in fact, not all talk and no proof.
It doesn't matter.

Like always, what ever I find in links and facts, you will deny and rationalize.

I'm not wasting that time for you.

You are meaningless outside of a few laughs to me.

The power companies here in Oregon cut power to power transmission lines going over the areas before the winds started, as a preventative measure.

There was no lighting.

(Citation needed)

It doesn't matter.

Like always, what ever I find in links and facts, you will deny and rationalize.

I'm not wasting that time for you.

You are meaningless outside of a few laughs to me.

It does matter! And you wasted time finding a video that doesn't back up any of your conspiracy theories. Why can't you waste time finding a video that does? It is because you can't find anything that isn't from something like Fox News or worse.

Well, this proves it. You ARE all talk and no proof.

There was no lighting.

Land management partly accounts for the severity of the fires.
Most of the fires in Oregon were arson? Where did you get that interesting bit of information?

(Citation needed)
LOL...

It was an announcement on the Portland General Electric web site some time back when I paid my bill online. They had a message saying where they would cut power as a proactive measure in areas of high risk of downed power lines before the heavy winds started. The message now reads they recently restored power.

How about this:

9/7/20: PGE shuts off power near Mt. Hood as strong winds move in

There were fires started by lightning before all this started west of the Cascades. Eastern Oregon is dryer, and did have lightning fires, like always. The fires west of the mountains though were all cause by arson, and carelessness.

LOL...

It was an announcement on the Portland General Electric web site some time back when I paid my bill online. They had a message saying where they would cut power as a proactive measure in areas of high risk of downed power lines before the heavy winds started. The message now reads they recently restored power.

How about this:

9/7/20: PGE shuts off power near Mt. Hood as strong winds move in

There were fires started by lightning before all this started west of the Cascades. Eastern Oregon is dryer, and did have lightning fires, like always. The fires west of the mountains though were all cause by arson, and carelessness.

nice avoidance.

You know damn well I wanted citations on ‘most of the fires caused by arson’.

But its amazing how you dismissed Buzz and told him you dont have the time to get citations, but certainly did the legwork here.

Guess we can assume whatever ‘evidence’ you have of this is so embarassing even YOU are ashamed to post it.

All talk and no proof, indeed.

More denialist BS.

The study in question does not ignore pre 1979 data. That is a lie.
Wrong. From the study text:

• Fire weather seasons have lengthened globally between 1979 and 2013.

Wrong. From the study text:

• Fire weather seasons have lengthened globally between 1979 and 2013.

The study is a review of over 100 studies. Some only go back to 1979... but some go back further. So... to say that all of this study ignores data older than 1979 is a lie.

The study is a review of over 100 studies. Some only go back to 1979... but some go back further. So... to say that all of this study ignores data older than 1979 is a lie.
Nope. Their argument starts in 1979.

The causes of the wildfires in California are very complex, and climate change probably plays a background role, although, much like other extreme weather events, one can’t say climate change directly caused a particular fire or even a particular bad or good year for fires.

It’s a long term issue, and one that deniers love to pretend doesn’t exist.

But here’s a nice signal of what is going to come in the US from climate change. Insurance companies are going to assess risks more carefully and just stop insuring properties.

Allstate is a company that has been pretty clear about the increased risks due to climate change.

Climate Change – Allstate

And now, it looks like they’re taking action- just simply not insuring people.

So here you go folks- the consequences of climate change on your pocketbook, which will soon be made much worse by climate denial.

Reality check below:

3264ccc9ef09bcff75fd5cf5764ba3c7.jpg
Climate change is clearly a factor. But the people of California are a bigger factor. The forest burning down is a part of nature especially in areas like California. It is a part of the eco system. We can either harvest those trees as a sustainable natural resource or watch them burn to the ground. If we chose to let them burn to the ground I suggest not building your home in the middle of them.

Nope. Their argument starts in 1979.

Maybe for this one point but not for everything in the study.

But you wouldn't know that because you don't even read everything that you post about much less understand it.

Maybe for this one point but not for everything in the study.

But you wouldn't know that because you don't even read everything that you post about much less understand it.
Their case starts in 1979.

Their case starts in 1979.

For God's sake... read the actual study instead of just the denialist misinformation. And then get back to me. If you can even understand it.

For God's sake... read the actual study instead of just the denialist misinformation. And then get back to me. If you can even understand it.
I'm afraid you're the one who hasn't read it.

“In terms of the trends we’re seeing, in terms of the extent of wildfires, and which have increased eight to ten-fold in the past four decades, that trend is driven by climate change,” said Dr Matthew Jones from the University of East Anglia in Norwich, UK, who led the review.

“Climate change ultimately means that those forests, whatever state they’re in, are becoming warmer and drier more frequently,” he told BBC News.

“And that’s what’s really driving the kind of scale and impact of the fires that we’re seeing today.”

In the 40 years from 1979 to 2019, fire weather conditions have increased by a total of eight days on average across the world.

I had dinner with a conservative friend of mine last night. In the 60s, he worked for the forest service (yes, he's in his 80s). He's lived in this State for his entire life. He's still an active outdoorsman. He's never seen it this bad. I've only lived here since 1986, but I've experienced the changes since then, and they are profound.

Another friend I served with spent every Summer in Honduras, on military duty, for 12 years. He watched as the camp he trained at went from jungle to highland desert until it eventually burned down in a forest fire. Imagine a jungle camp being overtaken by a forest fire. He says this is deja vu.

They both recognize it as climate change. Believe those who lived it.

I had dinner with a conservative friend of mine last night. In the 60s, he worked for the forest service (yes, he's in his 80s). He's lived in this State for his entire life. He's still an active outdoorsman. He's never seen it this bad. I've only lived here since 1986, but I've experienced the changes since then, and they are profound.

Another friend I served with spent every Summer in Honduras, on military duty, for 12 years. He watched as the camp he trained at went from jungle to highland desert until it eventually burned down in a forest fire. Imagine a jungle camp being overtaken by a forest fire. He says this is deja vu.

They both recognize it as climate change. Believe those who lived it.
This is why anecdotes are not data.

Back
Top Bottom