• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

California Wildfires- a climate bellwether?

The funniest thing is that you had all the time in the world to build a cogent counter argument and this is the best you could come up with. [emoji23]

I gave it precisely the amount of effort and attention it deserved.

I gave it precisely the amount of effort and attention it deserved.

You gave it all the attention you could manage.

You can't actually logically counter that simple truth so you choose to wave it off. Everyone sees your retreat, Threegoofs.

You gave it all the attention you could manage.

You can't actually logically counter that simple truth so you choose to wave it off. Everyone sees your retreat, Threegoofs.

It remains a partisan rant with no specifics.

There are a clear link between climate change and the fires in California.

"Climate change is driving the scale and impact of recent wildfires that have raged in California, say scientists.

Their analysis finds an "unequivocal and pervasive" role for global heating in boosting the conditions for fire.

California now has greater exposure to fire risks than before humans started altering the climate, the authors say.

Land management issues, touted by President Donald Trump as a key cause, can't by themselves explain the recent infernos.

The worst wildfires in 18 years have raged across California since August."

"Climate change is driving the scale and impact of recent wildfires that have raged in California, say scientists.

Their analysis finds an "unequivocal and pervasive" role for global heating in boosting the conditions for fire.

California now has greater exposure to fire risks than before humans started altering the climate, the authors say.

Land management issues, touted by President Donald Trump as a key cause, can't by themselves explain the recent infernos.

That's some pretty fraudulent "science." They get to their conclusion by ignoring all data before 1979.

Wildfires
Global Warming Drives Wildfires Study–Ignores Pre 1979 Data
Reposted from Not A Lot of People Know That By Paul Homewood h/t Philip Bratby Climate change is driving the scale and impact of recent wildfires that have raged in California, say scientists. Their analysis finds an “unequivocal and pervasive” role for global heating in boosting the conditions for fire. California now has greater exposure to fire…

I a

I agree. But the links here in Oregon seem to be Antifa, and other groups championed by progressives and liberals, turning into arsonists. I agree, The heat may help set these people off.

That's some pretty fraudulent "science." They get to their conclusion by ignoring all data before 1979.

Wildfires
Global Warming Drives Wildfires Study–Ignores Pre 1979 Data
Reposted from Not A Lot of People Know That By Paul Homewood h/t Philip Bratby Climate change is driving the scale and impact of recent wildfires that have raged in California, say scientists. Their analysis finds an “unequivocal and pervasive” role for global heating in boosting the conditions for fire. California now has greater exposure to fire…

More denialist BS.

The study in question does not ignore pre 1979 data. That is a lie.

I a

I agree. But the links here in Oregon seem to be Antifa, and other groups championed by progressives and liberals, turning into arsonists. I agree, The heat may help set these people off.

Antifa is starting wildfires?

:ROFLMAO:

Thought that you don't believe conspiracy theories.

Soros obviously funds them. [emoji849]

I’ll just note that the FBI refused to put Antifa on a terrorist list because...:they don’t really exist outside of nutjobs imaginations.

The causes of the wildfires in California are very complex, and climate change probably plays a background role, although, much like other extreme weather events, one can’t say climate change directly caused a particular fire or even a particular bad or good year for fires.

It’s a long term issue, and one that deniers love to pretend doesn’t exist.

But here’s a nice signal of what is going to come in the US from climate change. Insurance companies are going to assess risks more carefully and just stop insuring properties.

Allstate is a company that has been pretty clear about the increased risks due to climate change.

Climate Change – Allstate

And now, it looks like they’re taking action- just simply not insuring people.

So here you go folks- the consequences of climate change on your pocketbook, which will soon be made much worse by climate denial.

Reality check below:

3264ccc9ef09bcff75fd5cf5764ba3c7.jpg
Actually, wildfires in CA were MUCH worse in the early part of the 20th century than now, and there are FAR more suburban and rural homes in dry, forested areas than ever before, which is why there's more fire damage to human structures. Even Ca governor Gavin Newsome recently ADMITTED that 90% of fires in CA are started by PEOPLE! Combine that with the fact that California democrats changed forestry policy to leave dry, fallen debris choking the forest floors, instead of doing controlled burns to remove it, which leaves lots of dry KINDLING lying around to help wildfires spread!

Btw, denying politically motivated narratives doesn't cause wildfires! Wildfires are a NATURAL occurrence that's been occuring long before people were here. But because people LOVE to build homes in potentially dangerous areas of CA, more homes are destroyed by fires and landslides. Just because a few people on the board of big companies choose to swallow the politically motivated conspiracy theory, doesn't prove the conspiracy theory real. Besides, I'm sure it's in their best interest to STOP insuring homes built in stupid places, where wildfires WILL occur!

Last edited:
Actually, wildfires in CA were MUCH worse in the early part of the 20th century than now, and there are FAR more suburban and rural homes in dry, forested areas than ever before, which is why there's more fire damage to human structures. Even Ca governor Gavin Newsome recently ADMITTED that 90% of fires in CA are started by PEOPLE! Combine that with the fact that California democrats changed forestry policy to leave dry, fallen debris choking the forest floors, instead of doing controlled burns to remove it, which leaves lots of dry KINDLING lying around to help wildfires spread!
- CA State Govt. does not manage federal lands for forest management. That does not stop the Feds and State in entering into management agreements.

Since you seem to make the issue political. Tell us what is your objection to this strategy between the Feds and CA?

Soros obviously funds them. [emoji849]

I’ll just note that the FBI refused to put Antifa on a terrorist list because...:they don’t really exist outside of nutjobs imaginations.
Really!? Antifa doesn't exist? There are endless videos of ANTIFA marching, giving interviews, bothering everyday citizens, throwing rocks, bottles and bombs at police and regular citizens! Their members have been prosecuted, etc. Even the "news" media admit they exist! But yeah, it makes much more sense to ignore reality, and claim that all just a figment of millions of peoples'imaginations! Tell that to the people of Portland!

Have you seen any of the local news where I live?

I don't know. What are you watching? Fox News?
Nope.

Haven't you learned by now that almost all of your assumptions about me are wrong?

It takes quite the narrow-minded person not to learn from past mistakes.

Why don't you learn?

What's wrong with you anyway?

I specified "local news."

What does that say about your comprehension skills?

Really!? Antifa doesn't exist? There are endless videos of ANTIFA marching, giving interviews, bothering everyday citizens, throwing rocks, bottles and bombs at police and regular citizens! Their members have been prosecuted, etc. Even the "news" media admit they exist! But yeah, it makes much more sense to ignore reality, and claim that all just a figment of millions of peoples'imaginations! Tell that to the people of Portland!

Give me a mailing address.

And then explain the FBI position on it.

Nope.

Haven't you learned by now that almost all of your assumptions about me are wrong?

It takes quite the narrow-minded person not to learn from past mistakes.

Why don't you learn?

What's wrong with you anyway?

I specified "local news."

What does that say about your comprehension skills?

Damn, Lord... you don't have to get your panties in a wad!!

Fox has local affiliates all over the country.

And most of my assumptions about you over the last few years have been right. You're just in denial.

Damn, Lord... you don't have to get your panties in a wad!!

Fox has local affiliates all over the country.

And most of my assumptions about you over the last few years have been right. You're just in denial.
You are so narrow-minded. So narrow minded you deny so many things.

Here is one of many accounts:

A few have listed Antifa ties.

I've lived in California most of my life, and that's a long time. I can tell you this:
The fire situation is very complex. There is no simple reason why we have destructive fires, but we do know:
People have built homes in areas that burn periodically. The foothills of the Sierra is one such place. They try to put out all of the fires to save the houses, resulting in fuel accumulations and really big, hot fires that can't be controlled.

Higher up the mountains, small fires used to burn off the brush periodically and clear the forest for the larger trees to grow. These fires have also not been allowed to burn, resulting in fuel accumulations and big, hot fires that kill even the big trees.

Logging used to be done in the most efficient way for the loggers, leaving behind the brush, small trees, and logging slash and making the woods more fire prone than they were before. That practice has been outlawed. Logging is now done in a way that actually reduces the risk of fires. People seem to think that there is no more logging. That simply isn't true.

Climate change has resulted in hotter summers and drier conditions in the forests, resulting in larger and hotter fires. Climate change is real, and not subject to politics.

Drought and beetles have resulted in millions of dead trees. These have been cleared from some areas, but not all. The common consensus is that the small town of Shaver Lake, elevation about 5,000 feet in the Sierra, would have gone the way of Paradise absent removal of dead trees and clearing of brush over the past few years. The town is intact.

This year has been a wake up call. Never in the history of this state have there been so many big hot fires. While there may have been more fires a hundred or more years ago, these were small fires that didn't get to the crowns of trees. They caused little damage and actually helped some trees to grow.

Fire in the foothills, as long as it doesn't burn buildings, causes no damage. The grass, brush, flowers grow back the following winter and are better than before, better food for deer, more viable plants, spectacular displays of wildflowers. The Rough fire was such a fire a couple of years ago. A couple of buildings were burned, otherwise the area was better after the fire.

This is a complex problem with no simple solutions.

You are so narrow-minded. So narrow minded you deny so many things.

Here is one of many accounts:

A few have listed Antifa ties.

Really? Because the video you just posted doesn't say a thing about Antifa or any other progressive or liberal groups.

Come on Lord... show us all that you are not just all talk and provide a local news story that blames these wildfires on Antifa or other progressive/liberal groups.

Really? Because the video you just posted doesn't say a thing about Antifa or any other progressive or liberal groups.

Come on Lord... show us all that you are not just all talk and provide a local news story that blames these wildfires on Antifa or other progressive/liberal groups.
The wildfires have nothing at all to do with Antifa or liberal vs. conservative, but about land management and climate change. The answers have to come from science, and not politics, otherwise there will be no solution to the problem.

Back
Top Bottom