• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

California weed woes

So I'll ask again, if taxes are causing a black market to exist, where's the black market for alcohol?

Alcohol is much more difficult to produce than weed. Which is why it's called weed.

Because we have Convenience stores not Easy stores under Capitalism.

Well, all I know is if I was a smoker, I would simply grow my own instead of letting Calif Tax it because they will just piss the tax revenue away

Amen?

It's true they were up front about it, and that's how we knew it was going to go the way it has.

I think the main difference between wine and pot in this case is that with the fancy wine, you are buying something with an pragmatic limit. It's expensive because it's actually rare.

The only reason high quality marijuana costs more than really really nice hydroponic tomatos is that there is crushing taxation artificially inflating the price to black market levels. And then they scratch their heads over why people would want to just go to the black market source and save ~30%.

California is way better at making law than enforcing it. They can't even locate and eliminate the shops that advertise to the public, which are 99% posted on weedmaps.com. A 7yo in Honduras could give them the addresses of 100 locations to shut down every week, but somehow that doesn't happen.

They don't even care enough to grab the low hanging fruit. Why shouldn't I just do whatever I want?

For the record I do go and pay the taxes myself, but only because they do have a more consistent product line-up, which is important for medical users.

Yes, I know...the high quality weed is because it's legal and we have choices. The higher cost is because of taxes...which again...we knew about from the start.

This is the barely coherent and grammatically inept speech of a man who desperately wants to be able to claim that he "cured coronavirus."

That's it, in a nutshell. When we do get a handle on this crisis, he wants to be able to pull out footage and declare "I called it! I said use this! I said try this! I told them to do this, it was my idea!" He's just doing it with lots of stupid stuff because he doesnt want to miss an opportunity. He's afraid 'the big one' will be mentioned and he wont get credit for it.

It's all about declaring himself the savior of the cv crisis and we'll hear all about it, esp in his campaign. (Which is basically each of his press briefings these days) --- Lursa

My California friend told me, only idiots buy legal weed. The taxes and other government fees make it so expensive compared to black market weed.

Did you think legalizing weed would turn out this bad? I didn't.

Everybody told them that if legal.weed cost way more than black market that the black market would continue.

So they tacked on a bunch of taxes and fees.

And here we are.

You're lucky to have that. Delivery has been legalized here, but my suburb doesn't allow stores or delivery, as far as I can tell. My preferred store is at least 10 miles away and I'd gladly pay delivery fees. I actually prefer a lower thc (that doesn't cause me anxiety), but a lot of my favorite strains fall into that category anyway. And quality control, pesticide and mold checks.....very nice things to have.

There are so many cannabis stores in the Seattle area. Certain towns in Washington prohibit them, but not mine - there's are stores 5 min away from my home in all directions. I'd be surprised if there weren't 200 stores within 10 square miles of where I live.

I'm a nighttime indica user. One of the other members suggested I try these RSO tankers. It's like goop you squeeze out of a syringe. I squeeze it onto a breath mint and hold it under my tongue for 60 secs, then eat what's remaining. The stuff tastes nasty so have your favorite beverage nearby! The high seems to last quite a bit longer than smoking flower or vaping.

Last edited:
Everybody told them that if legal.weed cost way more than black market that the black market would continue.

And here we are.

You know, I suppose if I had a close friend who was a grower I'd buy from them. But I have no desire to go find an illegal dealer I don't trust and possibly go to prison or be poisoned just to save a few bucks.

You know, I suppose if I had a close friend who was a grower I'd buy from them. But I have no desire to go find an illegal dealer I don't trust and possibly go to prison or be poisoned just to save a few bucks.

From what I see here in socal, lower priced weed is just that grown by folks without much experience. They were all trying to "make the grade" of commercial and fell short in some way.

And in San Diego it's way more than a few bucks difference and no consumer is going to go to jail. I can get an ounce for what a dispensary charges for a half ounce. No dicernable difference in quality.

I can see your point but there's way too much of the handing over "new economy" things to the old economy. The multirotor drone is another. Developed by hobbyists coordinating through the internet in an open source project. The first real product from that "new information economy". Which the government promptly handed over to the old economy. Now it's developers can possibly get a low paying job with no security with the corporate entities that now own their technology.

It's the same with legal cannabis. California's first referendum was rejected because it handed the entire industry over to corporate interests

And here we are.

There used to be store in Sacramento County had weekend specials for an eighth. Buy one, get one free for twenty-five dollars an eighth. You could get a quarter for twenty-five dollars. I am not sure why it was closed down. This over two years ago.

From what I see here in socal, lower priced weed is just that grown by folks without much experience. They were all trying to "make the grade" of commercial and fell short in some way.

And in San Diego it's way more than a few bucks difference and no consumer is going to go to jail. I can get an ounce for what a dispensary charges for a half ounce. No dicernable difference in quality.

I can see your point but there's way too much of the handing over "new economy" things to the old economy. The multirotor drone is another. Developed by hobbyists coordinating through the internet in an open source project. The first real product from that "new information economy". Which the government promptly handed over to the old economy. Now it's developers can possibly get a low paying job with no security with the corporate entities that now own their technology.

It's the same with legal cannabis. California's first referendum was rejected because it handed the entire industry over to corporate interests

I agree that we should be able to buy cannabis anywhere alcohol is sold.

My California friend told me, only idiots buy legal weed. The taxes and other government fees make it so expensive compared to black market weed.

The democrats cannot bear to take their foot off the necks of private businesses. First comes permits, fee, inspections, accountability, etc., etc. and the “Oh, we forgot about the weed.”
Meanwhile cartel weed is everywhere, plus with new customers for designer drugs like ecstasy, and not so designer like heroin. I don’t partake, but there seems to be a lot more dope being smoked where I can smell it than before.

They did more than legalize It, they hyper regulated it. It's a plant that can pretty much grow anywhere. People should be allowed to grow their own. But I understand the government won't get it cut if you do that and that's probably the only reason why California government does anything.

Only idiots buy illegal marijuana. With illegal marijuana you don't know what you are getting and it is often laced with other drugs, contaminated with pesticides etc. Getting surgery by non-doctors also probably is much cheaper too.

Yes, because government ruins everything.

From the article:

Yet another government failure to add to the mile-long list of government failures.

Marijuana is one of the safest drugs known to man. It does not need to regulated or taxed, and growers do not need to be licensed, nor should they be forced to buy permits.
Same for other drugs and food too, right? Damn the FDA and USDA. Buyer beware!!!

Only idiots buy illegal marijuana. With illegal marijuana you don't know what you are getting and it is often laced with other drugs, contaminated with pesticides etc. Getting surgery by non-doctors also probably is much cheaper too.

I have to agree with you on that. Who knows what pesticides are used. Also mold. We've lost a couple small crops - one to powdery mildew, which is easy to see on the leaves, but not as easy to spot inside the buds; and one to mold, which isn't as easy to see. I assume illegal grows are checked with a loupe or some other magnifier to determine when to harvest, but are they looking more closely? And would they care?

Same for other drugs and food too, right?

Definitely.

Damn the FDA and USDA. Buyer beware!!!

You are assuming that the FDA provides a net benefit by keeping "unsafe" drugs off the market. It doesn't.

Safety isn't binary, it's a continuum. The most unsafe drug is one that kills you 100% of the time with one small dose. The safest is one with no lethal dose nor any negative side effects. Virtually all drugs fall somewhere between those two extremes, and that means what is considered "safe" by the FDA, in the end, is just a judgment call by an FDA regulator. You say you're fine with trusting the regulator's judgment, but the regulator, like everyone else, puts his own interests first:

Well your California friend doesn't know what he is talking about.

I buy it legally, once in while, And though a gram is $10 - 12, depending on where you buy ( I'm in San Diego) one hit will kill ya.

I LOVE the convenience of it being legal. When it wasn't , before the medical marijuana era, you had to go down to the hood to buy. I hated doing that, but it was necessary.

If it's cheaper on the black market, fine, I only get high maybe once a week, and a gram will last me a month. I don't know any black market types, I stopped hanging around
stoners years ago. But note that the black market now is real mellow, no paranoia, no having to go down to the 'hood or east san diego, 'cause cops are lax, and that is BECAUSE it's legal.

The situation is vastly improved than it was in the 60s. In those days, you could do time for a couple of joints. I know this for a fact. In '64, my dad went to prison ( Chino ) for 2 years
and all they busted him with was two joints. That's it. It even made a one inch column in the Santa Barbara News Press.

consider yourself lucky you didn't grow up in the 60s, like I did. Drugs made you paranoid, not about getting high, but about getting busted, ( oh, and going to viet nam, that hung
over every male teenagers heads ).

There are so many cannabis stores in the Seattle area. Certain towns in Washington prohibit them, but not mine - there's are stores 5 min away from my home in all directions. I'd be surprised if there weren't 200 stores within 10 square miles of where I live.

I'm a nighttime indica user. One of the other members suggested I try these RSO tankers. It's like goop you squeeze out of a syringe. I squeeze it onto a breath mint and hold it under my tongue for 60 secs, then eat what's remaining. The stuff tastes nasty so have your favorite beverage nearby! The high seems to last quite a bit longer than smoking flower or vaping.

Not sure how I missed this! Maybe in the transition. I'm also a nighttime indica user. (And very particular about which strains.) Occasionally a hybrid for day/evening, but never at night. I'm assuming you buy the RSO as either sativa or indica? Do they also come in particular strains? (I've never used anything but flower, edibles, or tinctures)

Not sure how I missed this! Maybe in the transition. I'm also a nighttime indica user. (And very particular about which strains.) Occasionally a hybrid for day/evening, but never at night. I'm assuming you buy the RSO as either sativa or indica? Do they also come in particular strains? (I've never used anything but flower, edibles, or tinctures)
Yes, the brand I buy right now is made by a company called, "Double Delicious". I buy their RSO tankers. They come in sativas, hybrid, or indica. The indica strain they're selling now at my local store is ok, it's called, "Presidential KUSH". My favorite indica strain from them is called, "Northern Lights". They haven't turned out a batch of that for awhile :(

Northern Lights is my favorite too, followed by Hash Plant and a couple others. I imagine Presidential Kush would be pretty nice. I'll have to look into that RSO stuff.

You forgot to Add swing that Calif will just piss the tax revenue away from it
Since you live in a taker state, why don't you just say thank you CA for keeping my taxes lower and my services higher than they would be without you?

Since you live in a taker state, why don't you just say thank you CA for keeping my taxes lower and my services higher than they would be without you?

You mean Idaho sets Fed Law?

I didn't know that

Back
Top Bottom