• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

California To Legalize Hemp: Link To Action

CaliNORML

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
California's Legislature is soon to vote on bill AB 1147, a movement to legalize Hemp for industial use. The hearing date is the 18th of January, 2006.

CLICK HERE TO EMAIL LINK.

OR HERE

Take a minute to take a stand.

KMS

Last edited:
Any idea if this is likely to pass? If it does it would be great. I would expect other states to follow suit after they see the success in California.

Dunno, it has been ammended 6 times thus far, let's hope it could happen.

Texas has a bill also I do believe. I will search for that link again, but if anyone knows it, let me know please.

KMS

CaliNORML said:
California's Legislature is soon to vote on bill AB 1147, a movement to legalize Hemp for industial use. The hearing date is the 18th of January, 2006.

CLICK HERE TO EMAIL LINK.

OR HERE

Take a minute to take a stand.

KMS

Somehow I see this as a a pethic attempt for junkies to try to be able to get away with growing their own weed.****ing degenderate junkies trying to pull a fast one.

jamesrage said:
Somehow I see this as a a pethic attempt for junkies to try to be able to get away with growing their own weed.****ing degenderate junkies trying to pull a fast one.

OK. set aside the enviorment, financial, Commercial, economical, and health aspects of even growing this plant. Not to mention it contains almost no THC. Thus no criminal element.

Coupled with the regulations introduced in Hemp Farming Act to the House of Reps. (HR3037) recommended by the Federal Energy and Commerce Commitee, and created by a Texan in 2005. Click HERE for Act HR 3037

Just say we are pot heads and that makes it all go away. Dude I want some of what you're on, it sounds better.

KMS

CaliNORML said:
OK. set aside the enviorment, financial, Commercial, economical, and health aspects of even growing this plant. Not to mention it contains almost no THC. Thus no criminal element.

I was once a pot head degenerate junkie in my youth,so I know all that garbage about growing commercial hemp is so pothead junkies can have a cover to grow marijuana.The average person can not tell the difference between hemp and Marijuana unless they either smoke it or chemically test if for THC content.So this idea that a corporate farms will be growing the stuff and not inidividual junkies is a load of horseshit.Every degenerate pothead with think they can sneak in a few marijuana plants in with some hemp plants and they get away with growing a illegal substance.

Most of those degenerate junkies are proably thinking
Duude..cough...cough.. I bet... cough cough... like if.. uh... if... uh.. hemp was like legal... and stuff...toke ...toke. cough cough.. choke.. I bet I could like grow real marijuana plants in my yard .....and like the cops....cough cough choke..toke... toke...could not search the plants because I can claim that I am growing hemp and some PCLU or ACLU group or what ever they are called could like say the cops were violating my civil rights and stuff...cough cough..and argue that searching a legal plant to to see if there is the possiblity of growing illegal drugs is not grounds for reasonable search and stuff...cough...cough...choke...choke,Dude what was I saying.

jamesrage said:
I was once a pot head degenerate junkie in my youth,so I know all that garbage about growing commercial hemp is so pothead junkies can have a cover to grow marijuana.The average person can not tell the difference between hemp and Marijuana unless they either smoke it or chemically test if for THC content.So this idea that a corporate farms will be growing the stuff and not inidividual junkies is a load of horseshit.Every degenerate pothead with think they can sneak in a few marijuana plants in with some hemp plants and they get away with growing a illegal substance.

Duude..cough...cough.. I bet... cough cough... like if.. uh... if... uh.. hemp was like legal... and stuff...toke ...toke. cough cough.. choke.. I bet I could like grow real marijuana plants in my yard .....and like the cops....cough cough choke..toke... toke...could not search the plants because I can claim that I am growing hemp and some PCLU or ACLU group or what ever they are called could like say the cops were violating my civil rights and stuff...cough cough..and argue that searching a legal plant to to see if there is the possiblity of growing illegal drugs is not grounds for reasonable search and stuff...cough...cough...choke...choke,Dude what was I saying.

So what? There's no reason for marijuana to be illegal either. Just because YOU don't like it doesn't mean that the Nanny State needs to tell people what they can and can't do.

jamesrage said:

A crop I could make almost 400 dollars per acre off? Stop using "Round Up" on my 5 acres to kill the unstoppable weeds and around my kids? Improve the soil on my land? Not to mention pull out heavy metals such as aluminum from consumable crops, and filter my groundwater as we still have a well to provide water in my home. All in one plant that needs no fertilizer, pesticides, and very little water? What a boon.

You may have been a pot head sir, but I can tell you were not a farmer.

KMS

Last edited:
CaliNORML said:
A crop I could make almost 400 dollars per acre off? Stop using "Round Up" on my 5 acres to kill the unstoppable weeds and around my kids? Improve the soil on my land? Not to mention pull out heavy metals such as aluminum from consumable crops, and filter my groundwater as we still have a well to provide water in my home. All in one plant that needs no fertilizer, pesticides, and very little water? What a boon.

I doubt the people trying to sell this idea of growing hemp are actually in it for legal finiancial gain.More than likely it is potheads trying to hide illegal plants in with legal plants.

AMENDED IN ASSEMBLY JANUARY 5, 2006
AMENDED IN ASSEMBLY JANUARY 4, 2006
AMENDED IN ASSEMBLY APRIL 25, 2005
AMENDED IN ASSEMBLY MARCH 30, 2005
california legislature—2005–06 regular session
ASSEMBLY BILL No. 1147
Introduced by Assembly Member Leno
February 22, 2005
An act to amend Sections 11018, 11054, 11357, 11358, 11359,
11360, 11361, and 11362.7 Section 11018 of, and to add Section
11018.5 to, the Health and Safety Code, relating to industrial hemp.
legislative counsel’s digest
AB 1147, as amended, Leno. Industrial hemp.
(1) Existing law makes it a crime to engage in any of various
transactions relating to marijuana, except as otherwise authorized by
law, such as the medical marijuana program. For the purposes of these
provisions, marijuana is defined as not including the mature stalks of
the plant, fiber produced from the stalks, oil or cake made from the
seeds of the plant, any other compound, manufacture, salt, derivative,
mixture, or preparation of the mature stalks (except the resin extracted
therefrom), fiber, oil, or cake, or the sterilized seed of the plant which
is incapable of germination.
This bill would revise the definition of marijuana so that the term
would also instead not include industrial hemp, which the as defined,
except where the plant is cultivated or processed for purposes not
expressly allowed for. The bill would define industrial hemp as an
agricultural field crop that is limited to the nonpsychoactive varieties
of the plant Cannabis plant sativa L. having no more than 3/10 of 1%
tetrahydrocannabinol contained in the dried flowering tops, that is
cultivated from seed originating in California, and that is cultivated
and processed exclusively for the purpose of producing the mature
stalks of the plant, fiber produced from the stalks, oil or cake made
from the seeds of the plant, or any other compound, manufacture, salt,
derivative, mixture, or preparation producedfrom of the mature stalks
(except the resin or flowering tops extracted therefrom), fiber, oil, or
cake, or the sterilized seed of the plant which is incapable of
germination. The bill would make conforming changes to related
provisions. The bill would provide that this definition of industrial
hemp shall not be construed to authorize the cultivation, production,
or possession of resin, flowering tops, or leaves that have been
removed from the field of cultivation and separated from the other
constituent parts of the industrial hemp plant; the transportation or
sale across state borders of seed or any variety of Cannabis sativa L.
that is capable of germination; or any cultivation of the industrial
hemp plant that is not grown in a research setting or as an
agricultural field crop. By revising the scope of application of existing
crimes relating to marijuana, this bill would impose a state-mandated
local program upon local governments.
(2) The California Constitution requires the state to reimburse
local agencies and school districts for certain costs mandated by the
state. Statutory provisions establish procedures for making that
reimbursement.
This bill would provide that no reimbursement is required by this
act for a specified reason.
Vote: majority. Appropriation: no. Fiscal committee: yes.
State-mandated local program: no yes.
The people of the State of California do enact as follows:
SECTION 1. Section 11018 of the Health and Safety Code is
amended to read:
11018. “Marijuana” means all parts of the plant Cannabis
sativa L., whether growing or not; the seeds thereof; the resin
extracted from any part of the plant; and every compound,
manufacture, salt, derivative, mixture, or preparation of the plant,
its seeds or resin. It does not include industrial hemp, as defined
in Section 11018.5, or the mature stalks of the plant, fiber
— 2 — AB 1147
produced from the stalks, oil or cake made from the seeds of the
plant, any other compound, manufacture, salt, derivative,
mixture, or preparation of the mature stalks (except the resin
extracted therefrom), fiber, oil, or cake, or the sterilized seed of
the plant which is incapable of germination. in Section 11018.5,
except where the plant is cultivated or processed for purposes
not expressly allowed for by Section 11018.5.
SEC. 2. Section 11018.5 is added to the Health and Safety
Code, to read:
11018.5. (a) “Industrial hemp” refers to an agricultural
means an agricultural field crop that is limited to
nonpsychoactive varieties of the Cannabis plant plant Cannabis
sativa L., having no more than three-tenths of one percent
tetrahydrocannabinol contained in the dried flowering tops, that
is cultivated from seed originating in California, and that is
cultivated and processed exclusively for the purpose of
producing fiber the mature stalks of the plants, fiber produced
from the stalks, oil or cake made from the seeds of the plant, or
any other compound, manufacture, salt, derivative, mixture, or
preparation produced from of the mature stalks (except the resin
or flowering tops extracted therefrom), fiber, oil, or cake, or the
sterilized seed of the plant which is incapable of germination.
(b) This section shall not be construed to authorize the
following:
(1) The cultivation, production, or possession of resin,
flowering tops, or leaves that have been removed from the field
of cultivation and separated from the other constituent parts of
the industrial hemp plant.
(2) The transportation or sale across state borders of seed of
any variety of Cannabis sativa L. that is capable of germination.
(3) Any cultivation of the industrial hemp plant that is not
grown in a research setting or as an agricultural field crop.
SEC. 3. No reimbursement is required by this act pursuant to
Section 6 of Article XIII B of the California Constitution because
the only costs that may be incurred by a local agency or school
district will be incurred because this act creates a new crime or
infraction, eliminates a crime or infraction, or changes the
penalty for a crime or infraction, within the meaning of Section
17556 of the Government Code, or changes the definition of a
AB 1147 — 3 —
crime within the meaning of Section 6 of Article XIII B of the
California Constitution.
All matter omitted in this version of the bill
appears in the bill as amended in Assembly,
January 4, 2006 (JR11)
O
— 4 — AB 1147

There is the bill.

The analysis of what it means to me and my family.

CLICK HERE

REGISTERED SUPPORT / OPPOSITION :

Support

Vote Hemp (Sponsor)
Board of Supervisors, City and County of San Francisco
Community Alliance with Family Farmers
Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps
Drug Policy Alliance Network
Hemp Industries Association
Nutiva
Rainforest Action Network
Sierra Club California

Opposition

None on file

Analysis Prepared by : Kimberly Horiuchi / PUB. S. / (916)
319-3744

Funny no one opposes it in Government, yet we shall see if it passes.

KMS

jamesrage said:
I doubt the people trying to sell this idea of growing hemp are actually in it for legal finiancial gain.More than likely it is potheads trying to hide illegal plants in with legal plants.

You still haven't explained what the problem with this is.

jamesrage said:

Well, seeing that anyone who knows anything about growing hemp vs marijuana knows that they are grown in entirely different ways. When grown for industrial use, it is grown very closely together so that the plant is mostly stalk. When grown for pharmacological use (be it medicinal or recreational), it must be grown in a much less condensed manner, and bushy, rather than tall. Industrial growing also allows both the male and female plants to grow together, medicinal use requires that the female plants be seperated.

Other countries have no problem differentiating, why should we have a problem in this country?

Originally Posted by jamesrage

Besides California and Oregon all ready have Medical Marijuana use laws in place. Those "pot heads" are free to grow thier own as it is, with the proper registration and documentation of course.

This has been going on for over 3 years now, has it an any way, shape, or form effected you or made you standard of living worse in your state?

Allowed to grow Medical Marijuana why would there be a need to sell it? All one has to do is go get a license.

If this is in effect why then is it so bad to grow this plants cousin the non THC variety. Seems as if the horse was out of the barn, the potent type is grown and regulated in this state anyway. Why try to stop agriculture?

KMS

Last edited:
MrFungus420 said:
Well, seeing that anyone who knows anything about growing hemp vs marijuana knows that they are grown in entirely different ways. When grown for industrial use, it is grown very closely together so that the plant is mostly stalk. When grown for pharmacological use (be it medicinal or recreational), it must be grown in a much less condensed manner, and bushy, rather than tall. Industrial growing also allows both the male and female plants to grow together, medicinal use requires that the female plants be seperated.

Other countries have no problem differentiating, why should we have a problem in this country?

Do you have any links to support your claim of how countries are doing this or is this something you read out of High Times or CannabisTimes magazine?

Kandahar said:
You still haven't explained what the problem with this is.

Degenerate junkies would exploit this for the porpuse of growing recreational drugs.

There is a old saying that it is never the good kids who are a influence on the bad kids but the bad kids who are a influence on the good kids.

jamesrage said:
Degenerate junkies would exploit this for the porpuse of growing recreational drugs.

There is a old saying that it is never the good kids who are a influence on the bad kids but the bad kids who are a influence on the good kids.

How would marijuana being legal cause more bad influence on kids? You could make the same arguments about tobacco or alcohol or television or violent movies. Do you think that all of those things should be illegal too?

Kandahar said:
How would marijuana being legal cause more bad influence on kids?

It would be readily aviliable because the the cost would go down and it would be in more abandance.Because every pothead with a green thumb will be having hydroponics set up in his basement or similar system in his yard.

You could make the same arguments about tobacco or alcohol or television or violent movies.
When beer and packs of marlboro cigarettes can be picked from the ground and consumed hours later then you might have a good case for making those things illegal.

Here you might find this funny

http://www.illwillpress.com/vault.html

Click on the one titled "drugs in your head."

Do you think that all of those things should be illegal too?

Cigarettes should be illegal considering they are highly addcitive and has harmful effects on themselves and other people.Alcohol should be more regulated.

Links eh?

Christians for Cannabis Click HERE

Amsterdams THC Ministry HERE

An entire Page of Links on legalization HERE

Cannabis Laws HERE

A New Medical Research Site. HERE

Wiki HERE

INTERNATIONAL Use Essay HERE

California nor Oregon suffered from any uprising in crime during these last 3 years, laws allow a plant to be grown out of the soil by individuals. We did not cost you or your state a single dime. The DEA did however, when they raided our state's citizens, in opposition to our legislation.

Have there been news reports of "desperate junkies" over running California's borders? Actually there has been a reduction in the prison system and we are better able to keep "Bad people" in jail, instead of the "green thumbed pot heads." It has generated income in taxes, and helped a ton of sick people.

There is 1 more link HERE Law Enforcement Against Prohibition. LEAP.

KMS

:laughat:

CaliNORML said:
Links eh?

Christians for Cannabis Click HERE

Amsterdams THC Ministry HERE

An entire Page of Links on legalization HERE

Cannabis Laws HERE

A New Medical Research Site. HERE

Wiki HERE

INTERNATIONAL Use Essay HERE

California nor Oregon suffered from any uprising in crime during these last 3 years, laws allow a plant to be grown out of the soil by individuals. We did not cost you or your state a single dime. The DEA did however, when they raided our state's citizens, in opposition to our legislation.

Have there been news reports of "desperate junkies" over running California's borders? Actually there has been a reduction in the prison system and we are better able to keep "Bad people" in jail, instead of the "green thumbed pot heads." It has generated income in taxes, and helped a ton of sick people.

There is 1 more link HERE Law Enforcement Against Prohibition. LEAP.

KMS

:funny :2funny: I think you forgot to mention NORML.

jamesrage said:
Do you have any links to support your claim of how countries are doing this or is this something you read out of High Times or CannabisTimes magazine?

To be honest, I'm not sure where I originally read it, but here are a few corroborating sources:

From the Economic Research Service of the USDA, publication AGES No. (AGES001) 43 pp, January 2000: "The European Union (EU) issued rules governing hemp production in 1989, which included registration of the area to be planted in advance, the use of seed from certified low-THC varieties, and testing of fields to determine THC content."

From the Christian Science Monitor, "But Paul Mahlberg, a professor of cell biology at Indiana University in Bloomington, says law enforcement in Europe has no trouble telling the two apart. He says hemp grows eight to 14 feet high, is unbranched, and is planted a few inches apart, like a cornfield. Marijuana plants are typically three to four feet high, branch out like bushes, and need to be planted four feet apart." http://csmonitor.com/cgi-bin/durableRedirect.pl?/durable/2001/02/13/fp2s1-csm.shtml

From the Agricultural Experiment Station - Oregon State University Station Bulletin 681 - May 1998: Feasibility of Industrial Hemp Production in the United States Pacific Northwest, "almost all hemp is now planted with seed drills using row spacings from 8 to 18 cm (3 to 7 inches)."

From Louie B. Nunn, former Governor of Kentucky, "Law enforcement opposes legalizing hemp production because officers get paid to destroy it, while marijuana growers oppose legalization because hemp cross-pollinates and destroys marijuana's potency. And neither side talks about Orincon, a company with the technology to differentiate marijuana and hemp from up to 5,000 feet in the air, and other simple in-field tests that accomplish the same results."

Now, I did learn something on the next one. If hemp is grown for grain (seed), then it is more difficult to visually differentiate, "When hemp is grown for fibre, the plants are seeded closer together, resulting in tall, upright, slender plants and a high density of plants per acre. When grown for grain or seed, however, industrial hemp is seeded more sparsely, resulting in bushier, more compact plants that more closely resemble marihuana as it is usually grown. Due to this resemblance to marihuana, which is of course a prohibited crop, the cultivation of industrial hemp must be regulated." From the Canadian Food Inspection Agency, http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/plaveg/seesem/indust/hemchae.shtml

Mr. Fungus,

When it comes to sources you are my Hero.

I am watching you closely to learn from the great fact finder and poster, I truly hope someday I can be as good as you in this area. :wow:

Keep setting the example for those like me who can learn so much from your style. You are making a difference and helping some of those in here learn how to debate our points in a much stronger manner.

Thanks,

KMS

jamesrage said:

Give me one reason why the government has a right to stop these "****ing degenderate junkies" from growing what they want?

Red_Dave said:
Give me one reason why the government has a right to stop these "****ing degenderate junkies" from growing what they want?

I will give you a couple of reasons

1.)Because I do not want these degenerates selling to kids n my nieghborhood.

2.)I do not want to pick up the tab because some degenerate got in a car wreck,got cancer or some others due to this degenerate's lack of judgement.

jamesrage said:

If marijuana were LEGAL, "****ing degenerate junkies" wouldn't be selling it because they have no business sense and they couldn't make a profit from it. It would be sold at commercial establishments, just like alcohol and tobacco are. You don't often see shady people hanging out on the street corners selling cigarettes to kids, do you?

jamesrage said:
2.)I do not want to pick up the tab because some degenerate got in a car wreck,got cancer or some others due to this degenerate's lack of judgement.

Then we should privatize medical care, not ban marijuana.

jamesrage said:

If the government would stay out of it, and you could just grow it your back yard, no one would be out selling it. Moreover, unless your kids are like star trek nerds or something, they like 8 out of 10 people are going to smoke pot at some point whether its legal or not.

I would like to see one example of any automobile accident that resulted from pot alone. Other than someone dropping a joint on their foot or something, I can’t see it happening.

Finally, marijuana is harder on your lungs than cigarettes. However, that is just comparing an individual joint to an individual cigarette. Smokers tend to smoke 2 packs a day or more regularly. Do you know of anyone who regularly smokes 40 joints a day?

Look I don’t smoke pot. I did when I was younger, but was never that big on it. However, I don’t believe that the government should tell individuals that they cannot smoke something that they could literally grow in their backyard.

Back
Top Bottom