• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

California Recall Live Updates: Voters Determine Gavin Newsom’s Fate

It's over

As I said, the GOP canidate was abysmal.

You actually want someone else to become guv with a vote tally of +/- 20%?
Cali's recall system needs re-vamping.
It would be better to have the top vote getter in the recall.....Elder, probably.... go up against Newsom in a head-to-head contest.
Elder will have an opportunity to unseat Newsom in Nov 2022.

I'm against recall votes, it's just another bite at the apple, and what is the point of that?

Newsom was elected with a huge majority, and he beat the recall with a huge majority.

What was the point of this election but to bring a lot of publicity to Elder?

The Republicans chose a terrible nominee. They handed this to the Dems on a platter.

That's what I was thinking. I mean, the only way a republican can win in CA is if you pick a sensible moderate, a Deukmejian or a Pete Wilson, etc.

But Elder, a conspiracy theorist Trump clone? No way.

You really think that voter turnout for a special election will rival that of a presidential election?

The 2016 presidential election had 14.1 million voters. This election will have less than half that

It won't be 14 million, but it will be more than half, it's already at 9 million, more to come.

Republicans are turning church antics into everyday politics. The whole world is against me, but I survived to tell the tale, and here is exactly what happened...

Suddenly, methheads with stolen mail and drunk Irish-American women are drinking in court with Ghouliani.

What happened to us?
I dunno.....I think there has always been an underlying craziness in America.
The craziness just wasn't so out in the open.
I think Trump's antics emboldened these crazies to leave their caves and expose themselves....so to speak.

That's what I was thinking. I mean, the only way a republican can win in CA is if you pick a sensible moderate, a Deukmejian or a Pete Wilson, etc.

But Elder, a conspiracy theorist Trump clone? No way.
The current GOP seems to struggle to elevate a sensible moderate, because whomever they pick, that person eventually has to go through purity test:
- was January 6th just a friendly peaceful protest?
- was the 2020 election stolen?
- do you pledge unconditional support for all of Trump's statements and policies?

At the moment, the sensible moderate can either choose to feign Q or get cancelled. It doesn't leave a lot of opportunity for the GOP in a state like California.

The current GOP seems to struggle to elevate a sensible moderate, because whomever they pick, that person eventually has to go through purity test:
- do you pledge unconditional support for all of Trump's statements and policies?

At the moment, the sensible moderate can either choose to feign Q or get cancelled. It doesn't leave a lot of opportunity for the GOP in a state like California.

works for me :)

I never imagined that a republican candidate would be required to be a lickspittle for a dummbbell like Trump.
Sad time for the GOP.

It's over

As I said, the GOP canidate was abysmal.

What was better about Newsom again?

He totally panders to his special interests, as Dems before him have, and he's basically got a big mob of epsilons he can throw his soma to.

It's all unsustainable, of course. You can lie and fool everyone including yourself - but you can't fool mother nature.

Sooner or later the consequences of the crazy policies in California will reach the point of intolerability that they'll sink themselves.

Right now they need a co-partisan in the Whitehouse to keep them from capsizing as it is. But they can't rely on that to continue forever.

He totally panders to his special interests, as Dems before him have, and he's basically got a big mob of epsilons he can throw his soma to.

It's all unsustainable, of course. You can lie and fool everyone including yourself - but you can't fool mother nature.

Sooner or later the consequences of the crazy policies in California will reach the point of intolerability that they'll sink themselves.

Right now they need a co-partisan in the Whitehouse to keep them from capsizing as it is. But they can't rely on that to continue forever.
Yes but he's pro-choice.

Yes but he's pro-choice.

That's a Supreme Court issue, and it's not something Larry Elder would try to overturn. There are too many other pressing issues in California.

Lol at the gop..serves you right.

Where did i say the incumbent was better than the challenger?

I merely stated the GOP chose a Trump clone as there nominee. Bad choice, this is CA, not the mid west.

Sadly, we all know what the results will be in this solid blue state.

But at least it felt good marking my ballot for Mr. Elder.
Larry Elder:

- Would vote against the civil rights act
- claims racism does not exist
- he is upset the Americans with disabilities act exists
- he downplayed sexism
- he wants medicare to be scrapped
- disrespects women
- does not want there to be a minimum wage
- hates that women have the right to choose
- is an idiot who thinks sex education has no place in schools
- is an opponent for emergency care for undocumented immigrants
- supports the big lie of Trump
- a huge fan of Stephen Miller, the lizard person of the Trump WH
- still hates upon the innocent 5 and claims like that Orange Oaf they are guilty

Sorry, but your moderate indication does not seem to work with those opinions.

Elder was the GOP's pick in California because Trumpism has the GOP by the balls, even in California where a politician like Elder wouldn't have a chance in hell in being governor.

Just look what's going on in Florida. DeSantis is literally killing his people down there. He's doing everything he can to keep Covid raging and killing people, just so he can kiss up to the GOP's rabid, foaming at the mouth Trumpism base.. And not only is there no recall against DeSantis, hell there's a good chance he'll be the GOP's presidential nominee in 2024.

There’s also a 3rd reason why turnout is pretty good:

C) Between 2016 and 2020, the number of registered voters in CA increased a lot because of some sort of automatic voter registration once citizens turn 18. Also: 16/17-year olds are pre-registered to vote, meaning they don’t need to register for an election, after turning 18.

That is already the case in most European countries, but not in many US states. There are a couple ten million US citizens above 18, who are eligible, but not automatically registered to vote. A tragedy.

That‘s true.

Voter registration is an anachronism from the days when immigrants flooded the country and birth records were not necessarily reliable. It also was a product of the practice of stuffing the ballot box.

Sadly, we all know what the results will be in this solid blue state.

But at least it felt good marking my ballot for Mr. Elder.

Why?

Did you think you were accomplishing something?

Voting for a half assed right wing celebrity because he checks all the talk radio boxes?

Did you think you were “owning the libs”? (whatever that childish notion amounts to).

Larry Elder is a right wing crank, in it to boost his national stature and bump his ratings on his radio show. That’s it.

Your post suggest to me that folks like you are going to continue to vote for the same sort of charlatans, crackpots and con men .

Does Elder and the Rs reimburse the 250 million wasted in the recall?

Does Elder and the Rs reimburse the 250 million wasted in the recall?

No, Elder goes to the bank on the goosed ratings of his radio show. That’s about it.

Bwahahahaha. Trump loses again. Because that is what losers do!

No, Elder goes to the bank on the goosed ratings of his radio show. That’s about it.
True, then he can claim voter fraud, rigged election. He'll want people to donate to his legal efforts. And stupid people will send him money.
What a racket.

That‘s true.

Voter registration is an anachronism from the days when immigrants flooded the country and birth records were not necessarily reliable. It also was a product of the practice of stuffing the ballot box.
Voter registration is not an anachronism. We live in a country where moving from place to place is very easy so voter registration is one of the valid steps to establish residency in a state and in what district that person lives so that the issues/candidates available are appropriate.

Seems like sending out blank ballots unrequested is a reasonable pathway to stuffing the ballot box.

Where did i say the incumbent was better than the challenger?

I merely stated the GOP chose a Trump clone as there nominee. Bad choice, this is CA, not the mid west.
I'd say, this is the United States, not Sparta.

Back
Top Bottom