• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

California prisons sterilized female inmates without permission

I don't think the taxpayer should subsidize tubal ligations, either. Someone should get some hefty fines and/or jail time for letting these women get their tubes tied on the government dime without proper state approvals being given. Granted, it's up to California, but I don't think they should EVER approve paying for and performing a tubal ligation for a prisoner. That is elective surgery.

I don't think the taxpayer should subsidize tubal ligations, either. Someone should get some hefty fines and/or jail time for letting these women get their tubes tied on the government dime without proper state approvals being given. Granted, it's up to California, but I don't think they should EVER approve paying for and performing a tubal ligation for a prisoner. That is elective surgery.

Yes, it is elective surgery, but wouldn't it save taxpayer money in the long run?

That a significant number of those female prisoners will eventually get out, and then have more babies for the taxpayer to raise.

So you figure they'd get out, have unprotected sex and make babies that the state would have to pay for? I'd say you're probably not entirely wrong, but whether or not the state actually made out would depend on how many of them followed that precise pattern vs. the costs of the tubal ligations being performed.

So you figure they'd get out, have unprotected sex and make babies that the state would have to pay for? I'd say you're probably not entirely wrong, but whether or not the state actually made out would depend on how many of them followed that precise pattern vs. the costs of the tubal ligations being performed.

Correct, and I doubt anyone has actually done the math to see if the bottom line pencils out or not. It seems likely that a relatively inexpensive procedure would pay dividends, but there is really no way to know.

A crack addict locked up for her addiction, which is a travesty and waste of taxpayer dollars to begin with, gets her tubes tied and has no more children, or
that crack addict gets out, turns a few tricks, and has a child born addicted, costing the taxpayers hundreds of thousands of dollars in neo natal care, more hundreds of thousands for special education, more yet as an adult who produces even more children who the government supports...

could be that I'm just being a bit cynical, and my cynicism does steer me wrong as much as 1% of the time.

Back
Top Bottom