• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

California, Our Very own Third World Country

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Brazil in America is what I always think of when discussing California. A few very rich people, and millions upon millions with barely a pot to piss in.

Check this out

https://www.theguardian.com/society...ey-homeless-east-palo-alto-california-schools

...in the school district that includes East Palo Alto, located amid the extraordinary wealth generated by the tech industry, their plight is not uncommon.

Remarkably, slightly more than one-third of students – or 1,147 children – are defined as homeless here, mostly sharing homes with other families because their parents cannot afford one of their own, and also living in RVs and shelters. The district is being squeezed from every side: teachers, administrative staff and even principals have housing woes of their own.

Well isn't all of America a class society?

I know California is a big and rich place, but is it really much different than anywhere else here?

I know California is a big and rich place, but is it really much different than anywhere else here?

I know that where I live houses do not start at $1M. :roll:

I know family income average in Cali is $61,320 and the national average is $53,291. $61,320 is bigger than $53,290. did you know that?

I know that where I live houses do not start at $1M. :roll:

Depending on the community it could. Same goes for different parts of California.

I think the number is somewhat subjective, isn't it the disparity between these people what really matters?

Go look around the area in and near the coast. 850K for 1400 square feet 2bdr is not uncommon at all, if you can even find a footprint that low. 1M for 3bdr is a lot more the norm and 3000 sq feet? 1.5 mill as a minimum.

California and the bay area in particular, is unreal on real estate.

I know family income average in Cali is $61,320 and the national average is $53,291. $61,320 is bigger than $53,290. did you know that?

Average is useless. Look up the median.

Depending on the community it could. Same goes for different parts of California.

I think the number is somewhat subjective, isn't it the disparity between these people what really matters?

We have million dollar homes in my area, but you can tell they are million dollar homes. This million dollar bungalow in San Jose

IS2z3pp5bw20vh0000000000.jpg

would sell for about $150K in So Ohio, $200K tops if it's here by the woods.

With 40,000,000 people in one state, I'd say that California is plenty different than anywhere else. The 2nd most populated state is Texas, with 27 million. Yet in terms of land size, Texas almost dwarves California, with 268k square miles, as opposed to 164k for CA.

Cramming 40 million people into one state has created a boon for landlords, who can charge $1500-2000 per month for a ran down apartments in ghetto areas.

The state shows no signs of slowing its growth, which will eventually cause more valuable farm land to be developed. Someone living in the mid west or east coast might not care much about what happens to California now, but they will when all the produce at their grocery store reads Product of Mexico or Product of Chile.

cali is $67,458 national is 50,502 ... $67,458 is still bigger next time make an actual point.

It's actually 64k. Now you have to compare that against unemployment (all those folks NOT getting the median), and against the cost of living...which is where Cali has a real issue. Well, that, and rampant illegal immigration skewing all of these numbers.

cali is $67,458 national is 50,502 ... $67,458 is still bigger next time make an actual point.

The average cost of renting in the US was $992 per month in 2014.
The average rent in California was $1350-1500 during the same period.

California also ranks 6th out of 50 for the most expensive states to live in the US.

Here's the most affordable cities in the US to live in:
•Memphis, Tennessee. With a metro-area population of about 1.3 million, Memphis is Tennessee's second-largest population center. ...
•Indianapolis, Indiana. ...
•Omaha, Nebraska. ...
•Columbus, Ohio. ...
•Las Vegas, Nevada. ...
•Salt Lake City, Utah. ...
•San Antonio, Texas. ...
•Birmingham, Alabama.
Top 10 Most Affordable U.S. Cities to Live In

California cities would have been comparable to some of these cities, say 40-50 years ago. The blueprint for California should be made into a textbook called 'How to Ruin a State'.

•Memphis, Tennessee. With a metro-area population of about 1.3 million, Memphis is Tennessee's second-largest population center. ...
•Omaha, Nebraska. ...
•Columbus, Ohio. ...
•Las Vegas, Nevada. ...
•San Antonio, Texas. ...
•Birmingham, Alabama.

California cities would have been comparable to some of these cities, say 40-50 years ago. The blueprint for California should be made into a textbook called 'How to Ruin a State'.

you need a little education in economics. things like rent go up because of demand. cali is indeed a popular place to live.

Brazil in America is what I always think of when discussing California. A few very rich people, and millions upon millions with barely a pot to piss in.

Check this out

https://www.theguardian.com/society...ey-homeless-east-palo-alto-california-schools

That first sentence describes America, man. The disparity keeps getting worse.

(Bear in mind, that many of those people without a pot to piss in - or whom are soon to be without one - are the same people who voted for Trump, in a hope that he will somehow fix their problems, simply because Democrats have done little beyond defend safety net programs to that end)

you need a little education in economics. things like rent go up because of demand. cali is indeed a popular place to live.

1 in 5 CA residents live in poverty, and make $23k or less per year. The results of Democrap sanctuary states.

(Bear in mind, that many of those people without a pot to piss in - or whom are soon to be without one - are the same people who voted for Trump, in a hope that he will somehow fix their problems, simply because Democrats have done little beyond defend safety net programs to that end)

And we'll continue to vote for off the wall, non traditional, "crazy horse" candidates till we get what we want.

And we'll continue to vote for off the wall, non traditional, "crazy horse" candidates till we get what we want.

I wouldn't promise anything until we see how this one works out....

I happen to think that the adage about cutting off one's nose to spite one's face retains logical force. "This demagogue ****ed everyone in a brand new orafice, but I'll vote for another in the hope that they do it to DC instead this time" just isn't good thinking.

Check this out

Alot of the issue with housing in cali is it's rediculous costs combined with cost of living. However in that state lower income can live, just not in some fancy downtown. I drove an hour each way to work to afford a place to live, people I knew lived in joshua tree drove 2+ hours to work everyday because living in la and it's suburbs was too expensive.

But we have that in texas too, austin costs a fortune to live in, and people gripe about it, but keep flocking to downtown. I guess some people are so adamant about living right in town that they will send themselves to the poorhouse.

•Omaha, Nebraska. ...
•Columbus, Ohio. ...
•Las Vegas, Nevada. ...
•San Antonio, Texas. ...
•Birmingham, Alabama.

Utah state income tax is 5% with barely anything deductible....Nevada has no income tax. How can both be in the top 10 for cheap living?

Back
Top Bottom