• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

California lawmakers approve hiking minimum wage to $15

You're right. WE should have slaves. Otherwise they have to be paid for somehow.

This is a legitimate question. Who is going to pay the added costs? Are you? The government? Prices will rise again in California.

And then you also have to remember that minimum wage isn't supposed to be a living wage. So why should it be treated as such? And what about people who make less than 15 but more than minimum? They are now on minimum wage.

This is a legitimate question. Who is going to pay the added costs? Are you? The government? Prices will rise again in California.

And then you also have to remember that minimum wage isn't supposed to be a living wage. So why should it be treated as such? And what about people who make less than 15 but more than minimum? They are now on minimum wage.

Minimum wage full schedule should definitely be a living wage.

Minimum wage full schedule should definitely be a living wage.

Why? We are talking about jobs that are not meant to be done all day anyway. We are talking about jobs that are mainly filled by part time employees who should be going to school or finding better jobs. Basically...people younger than 25.

Do you really think part time jobs should become full time jobs?

Why? We are talking about jobs that are not meant to be done all day anyway. We are talking about jobs that are mainly filled by part time employees who should be going to school or finding better jobs. Basically...people younger than 25.

Do you really think part time jobs should become full time jobs?

The wag E should be set based on a 40 hour work week being a livable wage. You shouldn't work 40 hours a week and still struggle with facing poverty.

The wag E should be set based on a 40 hour work week being a livable wage. You shouldn't work 40 hours a week and still struggle with facing poverty.

You shouldn't be working at McDonald's 40 hours a week.

Look. I work 40 a week at what is basically an insurance office. I don't make $15 an hour. And I can tell you that my wage IS livable. I am also supporting myself and my girlfriend who is in school. I couldn't raise a family on this, but I also wouldn't try.

Do you understand that the worst myth the left keeps propagating? You can't make people survive on minimum wage. All you can do is put more people on the bottom.

Furthermore...you can "base" that wage on a 40 hour week, but not everyone works a 40 hour week. Many jobs rely on hiring students at 20 hours. Or other part timers. And they pay the same minimum as everyone else. How is that fair to the small business man who may only need a weekend shift kid to run the feed store?

Now this entire time you are putting me on minimum wage when all i want is a job that pays better than what I make now, and you are also going to inflate the prices of everything I buy because of that minimum. Seriously? If you want to help me, someone with an education who is not well paid, give me opportunities for better paying jobs. I will go find them. You want to help no skill uneducated workers? Give them skills and educations. And create more jobs for them. Hell...just create a surplus of unskilled low education jobs so that the market will need to adjust. Supply and demand.

You shouldn't be working at McDonald's 40 hours a week.

Look. I work 40 a week at what is basically an insurance office. I don't make $15 an hour. And I can tell you that my wage IS livable. I am also supporting myself and my girlfriend who is in school. I couldn't raise a family on this, but I also wouldn't try.

Do you understand that the worst myth the left keeps propagating? You can't make people survive on minimum wage. All you can do is put more people on the bottom.

Furthermore...you can "base" that wage on a 40 hour week, but not everyone works a 40 hour week. Many jobs rely on hiring students at 20 hours. Or other part timers. And they pay the same minimum as everyone else. How is that fair to the small business man who may only need a weekend shift kid to run the feed store?

Now this entire time you are putting me on minimum wage when all i want is a job that pays better than what I make now, and you are also going to inflate the prices of everything I buy because of that minimum. Seriously? If you want to help me, someone with an education who is not well paid, give me opportunities for better paying jobs. I will go find them. You want to help no skill uneducated workers? Give them skills and educations. And create more jobs for them. Hell...just create a surplus of unskilled low education jobs so that the market will need to adjust. Supply and demand.

You realize that people CAN get more than 1 job right? And in fact, most people making MW have more than one job (hell, I have two jobs and I make over 6 figures).

You can work 10 hours at McDonalds, work 20 hours as a CNA, and work 10 hours as dishwasher and that person shouldn't have to be on welfare to afford basic needs. I don't want this to be a "let's go on a European vacation" type of wage, but a living wage is perfectly acceptable and should be the expectation in a country as RICH as ours.

You realize that people CAN get more than 1 job right? And in fact, most people making MW have more than one job (hell, I have two jobs and I make over 6 figures).

You can work 10 hours at McDonalds, work 20 hours as a CNA, and work 10 hours as dishwasher and that person shouldn't have to be on welfare to afford basic needs. I don't want this to be a "let's go on a European vacation" type of wage, but a living wage is perfectly acceptable and should be the expectation in a country as RICH as ours.

No. Your solution is to put more people on minimum wage. I don't make 6 figures. And I don't make $15 an hour. This suggestion blows because it devalues everyone who doesn't make $15 and it also devalues anyone who does make it.

Hit send before I was ready. Sorry.

Anyway.

And so do you think a dishwasher should be making the same as a CNA or a college educated insurance person or a paramedic?

Hit send before I was ready. Sorry.

Anyway.

And so do you think a dishwasher should be making the same as a CNA or a college educated insurance person or a paramedic?

I don't think a baseball player should make more than a teacher, but the market demands what the market demands.

I don't think a baseball player should make more than a teacher, but the market demands what the market demands.

Correct. And an unskilled laborer with no education has a few options in our current market. It sounds to me like the problem isn't the wage then. Why are we trying to put more people on minimum wage?

We're just going to go in circles.

Not quite.

There is no demand for unskilled labor. We have an excessive amount. We need to fix that. You want to help people on minimum wage? Get them off minimum wage.

Not quite.

There is no demand for unskilled labor. We have an excessive amount. We need to fix that. You want to help people on minimum wage? Get them off minimum wage.

Great idea. I'd love to know how you plan on getting people off of minimum wage. Then I'd like to know who's going to do those jobs that pay minimum wage.

Great idea. I'd love to know how you plan on getting people off of minimum wage. Then I'd like to know who's going to do those jobs that pay minimum wage.

Pretty simple really. Encourage the creation of jobs. Those "minimum wage jobs" can be done by kids. The way it was intended. As for what kind of jobs am I talking about? Phones. Computers. Distribution. Shipping. Industrial.

Arizona ands Texas could use some more CA companies

d4fa2b29c.png

Impact on the labor / job market seems to be pretty obvious.

A week after California Gov. Jerry Brown signed the state’s $15 minimum wage boost into law, UC Berkeley Chancellor Nicholas Dirks sent a memo to employees announcing that 500 jobs were getting cut.

Coincidence? Not really.

Last year, University of California President Janet Napolitano announced plans to boost its minimum wage to $15 at the start of next school year, independent of the state law. Since UC Berkeley was already in financial trouble — it ran a $109 million deficit last year and is projecting a deficit of $150 million this year — number crunchers there had to have factored in the higher mandated wage when making their layoff decisions.

Those workers might want to have a chat with the folks at UC Berkeley’s Center for Labor Research, who just days before Brown signed the wage-hike bill released a study touting the minimum wage as a boon to low-income household breadwinners.

After that report came out, Ken Jacobs, chairman of the UC Berkeley center, told the Los Angeles Times, “This is a very big deal for low-wage workers in California, for their families and for their children.”

It is a big deal, as well, to those soon to be out of work UC Berkeley workers.

But why is anyone surprised about jobs cuts following a wage hike? It’s one of the most basic laws of economics. Any high school kid taking Econ 101 can explain it: If you raise the price of something, demand goes down.

Keep in mind, too, that a $15 minimum wage is more than twice the federal minimum wage today. And it would set the wage floor higher than it’s ever been. On an inflation-adjusted basis, the minimum wage peaked in 1968 at just over $10 an hour.

UC Berkeley Touts $15 Wage Law, Then Fires Hundreds After It Passe | Stock News & Stock Market Analysis - IBD

I'd predict that as this new minimum wage spreads to other parts of the country that similar responses in those local labor / job markets will result.

Why would Jerry Brown SIGN something that he admits make no economic sense ?

Why would he put ideology over common sense ? Over growing the California economy ? New job creation ?

Actually it's a terrific time to invest in robotic related companies.

Machines can work 24/7 for a lot less than $15 per hours and there is already one MacDonald's run entirely by robots. Others are on the way and the service will be cleaner, better and faster. People whose only apparent skill is getting coffee and taking orders should never demand salaries greater than their worth. New McDonald's In Phoenix Run Entirely By Robots - News Examiner - Examine Your World

Why would Jerry Brown SIGN something that he admits make no economic sense ? Why would he put ideology over common sense ? Over growing the California economy ? New job creation ?
Why would anyone be calling this "fair" when it's inevitable that these people will lose their jobs?

You know that Liberal ideology will always trump common sense.

Back
Top Bottom