• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

California has decriminalized marijuana

marduc

don't panic
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Regardless of how prop 19 goes at the polls, Gov. Schwarzenegger has signed SB1449 into law, on Jan 1 possession of up to an ounce of marijuana is a civil infraction carrying a fine of no more than $100.

:prof Although often used interchangeably and for most people they are not aware there is a difference, there is a huge distinction between decriminalization and legalization.

Decriminalization is what this bill accomplishes, it removes the criminal penalty of possession and replaces it with a civil penalty. Running a stop sign is decriminalized, it is still not legal though. Although a step in the right direction, there is one glaring flaw with decriminalization, it ignores the elephant in the room and allows criminals to maintain control of the market and distribution,

Legalization would remove all penalties for possession, and would facilitate a pathway for legitimate distribution allowing for controls and regulations (ie age restrictions and ID checks). Legalization allows for control over distribution, effectively relegating the black market and the unscrupulous sales, and its inherent crime to a dark and miniscule corner of existence.

Good Job on signing this Arnold. Its a baby step, but it is a good one.

link

I was never a big proponent of legalizing marijuana. I honestly believe that the negatives and positives of legalization pretty much cancel each other out, so I can't see a huge case for or against it.

SB1449 I can agree with wholeheartedly. Unless you're dealing it, having a little marijuana on you shouldn't be worthy of jail time.

Regardless of how prop 19 goes at the polls, Gov. Schwarzenegger has signed SB1449 into law, on Jan 1 possession of up to an ounce of marijuana is a civil infraction carrying a fine of no more than $100.

:prof Although often used interchangeably and for most people they are not aware there is a difference, there is a huge distinction between decriminalization and legalization.

Decriminalization is what this bill accomplishes, it removes the criminal penalty of possession and replaces it with a civil penalty. Running a stop sign is decriminalized, it is still not legal though. Although a step in the right direction, there is one glaring flaw with decriminalization, it ignores the elephant in the room and allows criminals to maintain control of the market and distribution,

Legalization would remove all penalties for possession, and would facilitate a pathway for legitimate distribution allowing for controls and regulations (ie age restrictions and ID checks). Legalization allows for control over distribution, effectively relegating the black market and the unscrupulous sales, and its inherent crime to a dark and miniscule corner of existence.

Good Job on signing this Arnold. Its a baby step, but it is a good one.

link

Sorry bro, but I think you missed the point on this one. This is NOT a good thing, this was done to FIGHT Prop 19, as it removes a very good reason to vote yes on it. This does not remove the money from the hands of criminal cartels and put it into citizen's hands. This does not stop people who want to use marijuana from being forced to associate with criminal elements who also want to sell them much worse drugs (of course the whole medical thing helps this issue alot). All this does is push people on the fence to the wrong side.

California has to many moochers to legitimize the legalization of pot. This is nothing but a hail mary to recoup the cost of catering to hope and change. It's also a great vote buying distraction for politicians.

California has to many moochers to legitimize the legalization of pot. This is nothing but a hail mary to recoup the cost of catering to hope and change. It's also a great vote buying distraction for politicians.

This issue could get a few to the Polls who nrmally see things in a rather hazy way ...... and once there I doubt they'll be Voting for any Republicans. Just a thought.

I'm not really impressed. Since we have the ability to vote on ANYTHING as a state, all this has to do is come up next election cycle and people can vote it down.

This issue could get a few to the Polls who nrmally see things in a rather hazy way ...... and once there I doubt they'll be Voting for any Republicans. Just a thought.

I actually smoke weed to cope with the Obama admin, and anxiety brought on by the thought of Brown being governor again.

Most of the pot smokers I know are Republican most of the coke snorters I know are too. But I live Texas.

Most of the pot smokers I know are Republican most of the coke snorters I know are too. But I live Texas.

Wow I have never met a pot smoking Republican before. However, they need to go ahead and push for legalization.

I found pot smokers don't usually belong to any party. A lot of older people don't speak about it as much as us young ones do, but I know a few adults in their late 50s early 60s that still smoke pot.

Back
Top Bottom