• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

California Gold Rush town votes to remove noose from its logo

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
  • Placerville nicknamed ‘Hangtown’ after 19th-century lynchings

• City council decides after emotional comment from residents
=======================================================================

The California Gold Rush town of Placerville will change its logo to remove a noose that stems from its mid-19th century reputation as “Hangtown” following lynchings of criminal suspects by mobs of miners.
The city council voted on Tuesday night to remove the noose after listening to emotional comment from residents, CBS 13 Sacramento reported.

Some argued that it was part of the history of the town, but others said it was violent and gave the city a bad reputation, the station reported.
The council’s vote was unanimous.
The decision comes amid a reconsidering of images of nooses in the context of racial injustice and the history of violence against black people in America.
The City of Placerville’s Facebook page shows the town’s logo that includes a noose.

The City of Placerville’s Facebook page shows the town’s logo that includes a noose. Photograph: AP
The signs and symbols of Hangtown are commonplace in Placerville, the El Dorado county seat in the western foothills of the Sierra Nevada about two hours north-east of San Francisco.

The circular logo shows a miner washing gold in a stream. The noose hangs from a tree in the background. Written around the image are the words “City of Placerville”, “Old Hangtown” and “1854”, the year the city was incorporated.
==========================================================
Three men were hanged there in the 1840s on 'suspicion.'

I'm glad I missed CA in the mid-19th century.

• Placerville nicknamed ‘Hangtown’ after 19th-century lynchings

• City council decides after emotional comment from residents
=======================================================================

The California Gold Rush town of Placerville will change its logo to remove a noose that stems from its mid-19th century reputation as “Hangtown” following lynchings of criminal suspects by mobs of miners.
The city council voted on Tuesday night to remove the noose after listening to emotional comment from residents, CBS 13 Sacramento reported.

Some argued that it was part of the history of the town, but others said it was violent and gave the city a bad reputation, the station reported.
The council’s vote was unanimous.
The decision comes amid a reconsidering of images of nooses in the context of racial injustice and the history of violence against black people in America.
The City of Placerville’s Facebook page shows the town’s logo that includes a noose.

The City of Placerville’s Facebook page shows the town’s logo that includes a noose. Photograph: AP
The signs and symbols of Hangtown are commonplace in Placerville, the El Dorado county seat in the western foothills of the Sierra Nevada about two hours north-east of San Francisco.

The circular logo shows a miner washing gold in a stream. The noose hangs from a tree in the background. Written around the image are the words “City of Placerville”, “Old Hangtown” and “1854”, the year the city was incorporated.
==========================================================
Three men were hanged there in the 1840s on 'suspicion.'

I'm glad I missed CA in the mid-19th century.
That's not even the start of it. I love CA and never want to live anywhere else. Having said that, the birth spasms of my state were horrific.
"In just 20 years, 80 percent of California’s Native Americans were wiped out. And though some died because of the seizure of their land or diseases caught from new settlers, between 9,000 and 16,000 were murdered in cold blood—the victims of a policy of genocide sponsored by the state of California and gleefully assisted by its newest citizens."

Back
Top Bottom