• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

California energy officials on Friday issued a sober forecast for the state's electrical grid

sigh,...

AND the energy shortfall throughout the south western USA is exacerbated by 'climate change drought' in the South Western USA

The Great Liberal Economic Powerhouse, California, can't even modernize it's own power grid?

The supposed "shortage" has nothing to do with Diablo Canyon, except that they might try to keep it open because they can't "figure out" how to do better than an old nuclear plant.
How about new nuclear power plants?

All the dollars currently being wasted to fight CO2 should be redirected to fusion energy research. With success, then and only then will the elimination of fossil fuels be feasible.
The Holy Grail of nuclear energy 👍

Well, the state has a huge surplus of $$ this year. Now they have a worthwhile place to spend it.
Are you kidding? That money's probably going to go towards social programs for illegal immigrants.

The main driver of power usage in California is air conditioning which increases in the summer and has only gotten progressively higher due to global warming.

Telling American homeowners to use less energy under such circumstances is like sneering at the costly power usage of Europeans to keep their homes heated during the dead of winter and telling them to cut back accordingly.
Rooftop solar is an easy and economical addition in sunny California.

Don't allow facts to get in the way of your partisan bitchfest,

California Gov. Gavin Newsom, D, is open to the possibility of delaying the closure of the state’s last operational nuclear power plant, Diablo Canyon, according to media reports, but some industry players remain skeptical about the feasibility of such an effort.

Last week, the Los Angeles Times reported that Newsom may try to delay the retirement of the plant, currently scheduled to occur in 2024 and 2025 when the federal licenses for its two units expire. Newsom told the newspaper’s editorial board that California could try to tap into the $6 billion in federal funding announced in February for nuclear reactors facing retirement, noting that the state “would be remiss not to put that on the table as an option.”

Some experts, however, are skeptical about whether the plant can – and should – be kept open, given the process that would be required to get its Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) license extended, as well as recent efforts in the state to build gigawatts of clean energy generation to replace it.

There have always been groups in California pushing to keep the 2,240 MW Diablo Canyon plant open, because of the vast amount of greenhouse gas-free generation it provides, but “it’s somewhat surprising to change course at this point, given the work that the California Public Utilities Commission has done to replace that resource,” Seth Hilton, partner at Stoel Rives, said.

All the dollars currently being wasted to fight CO2 should be redirected to fusion energy research. With success, then and only then will the elimination of fossil fuels be feasible.
Workable commercial fusion is still 20 years away. They have yet to create a sustaining reason in a lab.

I own a small trucking company. Tried to get an oil change on the road yesterday - couldn't get it done - no oil.

The Establishment is deliberately squeezing the economy. Shortage of baby formula, shelves not full, etc.

It's going to get worse - because the plan from on-high is to make it worse. Squeeze the peasants, create artificial shortages, mandate rationing... make the people squeal.

Then offer whatever changes they're after in this go-round, give the stupid peasants relief - rinse, repeat.

The endgame is tearing up the Constitution - not too far off now.

Workable commercial fusion is still 20 years away. They have yet to create a sustaining reason in a lab.

seems people have no clue about physics,... when I was in school fusion was 30 years away,... well 30 years has passed (and fusion is still 30 years away)

anyway @Grandpappy noticed you are in San Diego so you should find this interesting,... ever wonder about the millions of pounds of spent fuel left on the beach at san onofre (basically spent fuel is left on the beach simply because democratic politicians ignored the science)

sorta know a few players involved with the SONGS waste issue mess and when I've pointed out in the past the reason millions of pounds of spent fuel is left on the beach is because of democratic politics, kinda get the feeling my take on the situation isn't really appreciated

actually the spent fuel can be an asset (if one thinks like a physicist),... this is because high level spent fuel can be used as nuclear kindling in a reactor designed to burn thorium

http://interestingengineering.com/video/thorium-reactors

FYI india has lots of thorium but very little uranium,... so for 70 years india had to first construct uranium reactors in order to build up a stockpile of 'nuclear kindling'

as I see things, I think the USA should throw resources at molten salt thorium reactors,... fusion is just too far a technical leap

Last edited:
I'm a scientist - I know full-well that AGW is a fraud.

CO2 is not a pollutant, it does not drive climate, and the production of more CO2 Carrie's no consequences.

huh,... so you're a scientist AND production of even more CO2 has no consequences?!

just saying there are doctors (and there are doctors),... just sayin asking a proctologist about covid treatments is kinda not that great an idea,... Capeesh?!

as for the basic physics of climate change,... actually its not too difficult to understand (in the grand scheme of things),... first consider ice ages happen because over geological time the earths orbit ever so slightly moves further away from the sun,... in other words when the earth is further away from the sun for long periods of time, the surface of the earth gets less sunlight so things cool down

at the moment the earth is ever so slowly moving moving away from the sun,... so common sense indicates the planet should be ever so slowly cooling down (like it does when summer ends and the fall season begins)

the fly in the ointment (so to speak) is mankind has learned how to harness the power of fossil fuels

basically when a fossil fuel like coal or gasoline is burned (i.e. 'the chemical combustion process'), it releases CO2 into the atmosphere

CO2 is a greenhouse gas that traps infrared energy in the atmosphere

think about the fact that the earth and moon, in the grand scheme of things are about the same distance away from the sun,... in other words both the earth and moon are 93 million miles away from the sun

BUT the earth has as atmosphere w/ CO2,... whereas the moon has no atmosphere

point being it does not take much CO2 in the atmosphere to trap infrared energy,... so this is why the earth is warmer than the moon (even though both the earth and moon are about the same distance from the sun)

there is something called the keeling curve, which is a measurement started in 1957 of CO2 in the earths atmosphere,... and since 1957 the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere has dramatically gone up

as I mentioned at moment the earth is ever so slowly moving away from the sun,... BUT weird thing is news reports indicate record warming,... AND the only scientific explanation for record warming is the dramatic increase of greenhouse gases like CO2 measured by scientists

Capeesh?!

FWIW I'm not a climate scientist BUT I am a physics knucklehead AND had the dumb luck as an undergrad to informally learn this stuff from revelle, keeling, etc. (who FYI are the early pioneers in the field) in one on one discussions decades ago

I own a small trucking company. Tried to get an oil change on the road yesterday - couldn't get it done - no oil.

The Establishment is deliberately squeezing the economy. Shortage of baby formula, shelves not full, etc.

It's going to get worse - because the plan from on-high is to make it worse. Squeeze the peasants, create artificial shortages, mandate rationing... make the people squeal.

Then offer whatever changes they're after in this go-round, give the stupid peasants relief - rinse, repeat.

So you have a problem getting an oil change and that makes you think the entire US is about to crumble?
Wow, you Libertarians really do shit the bed at the first sign of trouble don't you.

huh,... so you're a scientist AND production of even more CO2 has no consequences?!

just saying there are doctors (and there are doctors),... just sayin asking a proctologist about covid treatments is kinda not that great an idea,... Capeesh?!

as for the basic physics of climate change,... actually its not too difficult to understand (in the grand scheme of things),... first consider ice ages happen because over geological time the earths orbit ever so slightly moves further away from the sun,... in other words when the earth is further away from the sun for long periods of time, the surface of the earth gets less sunlight so things cool down

at the moment the earth is ever so slowly moving moving away from the sun,... so common sense indicates the planet should be ever so slowly cooling down (like it does when summer ends and the fall season begins)

the fly in the ointment (so to speak) is mankind has learned how to harness the power of fossil fuels

basically when a fossil fuel like coal or gasoline is burned (i.e. 'the chemical combustion process'), it releases CO2 into the atmosphere

CO2 is a greenhouse gas that traps infrared energy in the atmosphere

think about the fact that the earth and moon, in the grand scheme of things are about the same distance away from the sun,... in other words both the earth and moon are 93 million miles away from the sun

BUT the earth has as atmosphere w/ CO2,... whereas the moon has no atmosphere

point being it does not take much CO2 in the atmosphere to trap infrared energy,... so this is why the earth is warmer than the moon (even though both the earth and moon are about the same distance from the sun)

there is something called the keeling curve, which is a measurement started in 1957 of CO2 in the earths atmosphere,... and since 1957 the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere has dramatically gone up

as I mentioned at moment the earth is ever so slowly moving away from the sun,... BUT weird thing is news reports indicate record warming,... AND the only scientific explanation for record warming is the dramatic increase of greenhouse gases like CO2 measured by scientists

Capeesh?!

FWIW I'm not a climate scientist BUT I am a physics knucklehead AND had the dumb luck as an undergrad to informally learn this stuff from revelle, keeling, etc. (who FYI are the early pioneers in the field) in one on one discussions decades ago

Nothing wrong with the theory, or the testing of that theory in a laboratory setting. The earth isn't a test tube though.

MIT Professor of Meteorological Physics

It's true. At least week's Taco Tuesday for Elites, Kamala and I were discussing our plan to make sure you couldn't get oil, as step 4 in our 7 step plan to tear up the Constitution. I am heartened that our plan was executed to perfection and will let her know. Gotta say, our infrastructure guy Pete really came through for us there! Now we can move to Step 5 where we take puppies away from children then turn all the good Christians into trans female athletes who love abortions and hate baseball football err whatever sport conservatives still like these days. Golf, I guess?

So you have a problem getting an oil change and that makes you think the entire US is about to crumble?
Wow, you Libertarians really do shit the bed at the first sign of trouble don't you.
Nice strawman Pete ;)

This is just the beginning of the endgame - it will take a few years to play out. My guess is 5-8 years - but that's just an educated guess.

The closest real world example would be when they crashed the stock market in 1929, and plunged the world into a depression.

That was early in the game though. America was a much stronger and more stable nation then. It took, roughly, from 1929 to 1938 for The Money Trust to fundamentally transform America from a republic to a democracy, entrap the unwitting masses in a snare of dependance on government, form the infrastructure of the regulatory state, and effectively gain control of every major industry.

That's quite a lot to accomplish in just 9 years. Today the goals are different.

The goals today are to further destabilize American society; to psychologically prepare the masses to accept government control of virtually every aspect of their lives; to destroy the dollar thru inflation, and destabilize the petrodollar and global economy; to use war and terrorism as psychological weapons against the masses so they accept authoritarian rule in the name of safety and security; to destroy the U.S. Constitution.

------------------------------------

Being a Brit, did you learn any lessons from Operation Gladio??

Don't worry. California is on this. That is why we are shutting down our one nuclear power plant at Diablo Canyon that generates 6% of our state's energy. :rolleyes:

Though there is word that this move is being reconsidered at the executive level.
Current state is a bit bizarre to say the least. Warnings on shortages, meanwhile CalISO is showing that they are curtailing PV due to more supply than demand. California is already a global leader in energy efficiency so squeezing people isn't the answer; the three big utilities need to protect generation capacity.

Nice strawman Pete ;)

This is just the beginning of the endgame - it will take a few years to play out. My guess is 5-8 years - but that's just an educated guess.

The closest real world example would be when they crashed the stock market in 1929, and plunged the world into a depression.

That was early in the game though. America was a much stronger and more stable nation then. It took, roughly, from 1929 to 1938 for The Money Trust to fundamentally transform America from a republic to a democracy, entrap the unwitting masses in a snare of dependance on government, form the infrastructure of the regulatory state, and effectively gain control of every major industry.

That's quite a lot to accomplish in just 9 years. Today the goals are different.

The goals today are to further destabilize American society; to psychologically prepare the masses to accept government control of virtually every aspect of their lives; to destroy the dollar thru inflation, and destabilize the petrodollar and global economy; to use war and terrorism as psychological weapons against the masses so they accept authoritarian rule in the name of safety and security; to destroy the U.S. Constitution.

You forgot to mention the chipped vaccine. That's a key part of the plan, dude! How else were we going to take control of everyone? Believe me, it was a lot of work making people think Elon's Neuralink is R&D when in reality Elon and Bill had already perfected it, and secretly incorporated it into the Trump Vaccine that the left wing communist marxist liberal leftist radical left fake news media forced everyone to take.

Also, your educated guess is waaaaaay off. 5 years? We are planning to get there in 18 months. In fact I just bought the shredder we're going to use to destroy the Constitution. It was on sale on Amazon, very affordable and capable when it comes to Constitution shredding, thanks to Chinese manufacturing.

I believe it's a good thing for the government to spend money to help people with energy efficiency.
As for cracking skulls for noncompliance, where have I ever said anything even remotely like that?
The United States household energy efficiency has been improving for several decades now. That's why total US energy consumption has largely remained flat for some time now despite population increases etc. Energy Star alone has made for a dramatic improvement over what might have been.

Nice strawman Pete ;)

So you're predicting the end of the US in just under a decade?
That's the American "Can do" spirit the world knows.

I've never heard of Project Gladio so I imagine it was some conspiracy theory bollocks but feel free to enlighten me on how the UK crumbled into anarchy and I simply didn't notice.
Maybe anarchy is a lot duller than I imagined it would be?

Never said anything about energy efficiency - but then again, a free person would consider such a thing on an individual level. Self interest.

A collectivist would consider such a thing as a matter for government decree and enforcement.

I assume you believe in the AGW boogieman - so logically, at least in your mind, there should be a law, and the government should have the power ) to crack skulls for noncompliance - yes??
People do not always act at the individual level in their own self interest regarding energy efficiency. For example, the majority of trucks are sold to people that don't work in the trades or in a field where they actually need a truck. They are sold to people that just like driving a truck (go look at most used trucks, there will hardly be a scratch in the bed), which is fine, but it is certainly not an efficiency choice.

So you're predicting the end of the US in just under a decade?
That's the American "Can do" spirLLPit the world knows.

I've never heard of Project Gladio so I imagine it was some conspiracy theory bollocks but feel free to enlighten me on how the UK crumbled into anarchy and I simply didn't notice.
Maybe anarchy is a lot duller than I imagined it would be?
"Operation Gladio" not "Project Gladio", LOL...

Not surprised you haven't heard of it, you don't seem very well informed. Although, even the BBC did a couple of very good documentaries on Gladio - which was surprising given that the BBC is controlled by the Establishment.

Anyway, if you look Gladio up on wikipedia it will give you the "company lie", i.e. that it was an innocuous "stay behind operation" after WWII that sought to gather intelligence to assist NATO in deterrence of the Soviet Union during the Cold War.

What Gladio ultimately morphed into, however, was a quasi-terrorist organization that carried out, and still carry out, terrorist attacks by providing material, monetary, and logistical support for the most infamous terrorist attacks throughout Europe. These are commonly referred to as false flag operations.

MI-6, Mossad, and the CIA were the puppet masters behind the Bologna Train Station bombing in 1980 that killed 85 people. The Oktoberfest bombing in 1980 that killed 13 people, the Piazza Fontana Agriculture Bank bombing in 1969 that killed 17 people, the Italian FLT 870 bombing that killed 81 people, etc.

In short, all terrorist activities in Europe and the killing of innocent civilians were actually carried out by MI-6, the CIA, and Mossad.

Most of this came out during the trial of Vincenzo Vinciguerra as he was the only Gladio operative that made it to trial. Anyone else who was ever arrested in connection with Gladio was murdered before they could go on trial. 2 men were found hanging in their jail cells.

The EU issued an official condemnation of Gladio in 1990.

Gladio is still in operation, now known as Gladio B. 7/7 was a Gladio operation.

Oh really, the intelligence services decided to bomb Oktoberfest did they?

You'll have to excuse me if I call bollocks on anyone in the CIA, MI-6 or Mossad wanting to slaughter people who are simply having a friendly beer.
I know, how silly and nieve of me but I tend to think people who work in those organisations aren't comic-book villains.

It's really odd that them killing hundreds of people isn't bigger news but that's the global deepstate cabal of super-intelligent lizard people for you.
They just get things done.

Oh really, the intelligence services decided to bomb Oktoberfest did they?

You'll have to excuse me if I call bollocks on anyone in the CIA, MI-6 or Mossad wanting to slaughter people who are simply having a friendly beer.
I know, how silly and nieve of me but I tend to think people who work in those organisations aren't comic-book villains.

It's really odd that them killing hundreds of people isn't bigger news but that's the global deepstate cabal of super-intelligent lizard people for you.
They just get things done.
Lol... I deliberately didn't link the EU statement of condemnation and the documentaries just because I wanted to see you run around with your hair on fire, lol...

The BBC Documentary is 2 1/2 hours long, so this is a shorter one I'm sure you won't watch, lol...

There's a better one, but I couldn't find it, and I'm short of time.

Don't worry. California is on this. That is why we are shutting down our one nuclear power plant at Diablo Canyon that generates 6% of our state's energy. :rolleyes:

Though there is word that this move is being reconsidered at the executive level.
You mean the plant that is 1/2 a mile from one fault and 3 miles from another? The one that is less than 10 miles from a population center? That is constructed using 'old' technology?

It is being shut down for reasons other than energy production.

You mean the plant that is 1/2 a mile from one fault and 3 miles from another? The one that is less than 10 miles from a population center? That is constructed using 'old' technology?

It is being shut down for reasons other than energy production.

I would argue that it is a poor idea without the foundation of newer ones being laid to replace it. Unfortunately with well-funded lobbying groups like the Sierra Club which are religiously antinuclear, it would almost certainly not happen unless our state adopted French-style civic infrastructure regulations.

I would argue that it is a poor idea without the foundation of newer ones being laid to replace it. Unfortunately with well-funded lobbying groups like the Sierra Club which are religiously antinuclear, it would almost certainly not happen unless our state adopted French-style civic infrastructure regulations.
There is no way CA will ever build another Diablo Canyon style nuclear plant. That's a good thing. New technology, or improvements to old technology (molten salt cooling?) will result in some nuclear coming online at some point in the future imo.

Back
Top Bottom