• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

California energy officials on Friday issued a sober forecast for the state's electrical grid

noted WRT 'Political Leaning' you identify as a 'Progressive' I mention this because I'm 99.999% certain you have no problem identifying 'environmental' bull$hit statements spread by republican politicians BUT due to human nature I'm also 99.999% certain you would have great difficulty identifying 'scientific environmental' bull$hit spread by fellow democrats

one such case of scientific environmental bullshit is the unresolved nuclear waste issue here in the USA,... back in the 1980's yucca mountain was designated to be the national site to contain spent fuel BUT what ended up happening is Democratic Party politics killed off funding for the project (to illustrate the unintended consequences of de-funding yucca mountain what ended up happening is millions of pounds of spent nuclear fuel was essentially left on a Southern California beach)

having a physics back ground I also pointed out spent nuclear fuel can be used in a thorium reactor (which is a carbon free source of generating electricity)

Lots of 'can' in your statement. Get back to me when we actually develop some of these new-old technologies.

Democrats killed the funding? NV didn't want to be the waste dump. The states largest population center had qualms about being 85 miles from one of the planet's most toxic substances.

It already is. The military used it for dozens upon dozens of nuke tests.
Correct, but if you find your state in a hole, the best plan is to stop digging.

Democrats killed the funding?

yup,... the inconvenient truth is,...

GAO: Death of Yucca Mountain Caused by Political Maneuvering

The Obama administration's rushed efforts to shut down Yucca Mountain were strictly political and could set back the opening of a nuclear waste repository by more than 20 years, according to a new report by a federal watchdog.

The administration killed the repository program last year without citing technical or safety issues, and restarting the costly and time-consuming process of finding a permanent repository or an alternative solution could take decades and cost billions of additional dollars, the Government Accountability Office reported yesterday.

...GAO's study found that Energy Secretary Steven Chu's decision to terminate the Yucca Mountain repository program was made for policy reasons, not technical or safety reasons, and officials speaking for Chu in 2010 did not cite any technical concerns or safety issues related to the Yucca Mountain site.

http://archive.nytimes.com/www.nyti...-yucca-mountain-caused-by-politica-36298.html

99.999% certain you have no hard science physics or chemistry education at the university level BUT you think you actually know $hit about the topics,... sadly too many think they are the exception NEWS FOR YOU fact of the matter is you have a conservative counterpart who is essentially ecologically oblivious and scientifically illiterate (which is why humanity is where we are,...up $hit creek w/ out a paddle)

FWIW here is a BBC podcast about nuclear power AND includes a segment about an environmental activist who started off protesting nuclear power, but eventually was awakened to the fact that nuclear power is a carbon free "base line" source of electrical generation

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/w3ct3khw

if you find your state [OF MIND] in a hole, the best plan is to stop digging

so going to follow your own advise???

yup,... the inconvenient truth is,...

99.999% certain you have no hard science physics or chemistry education at the university level BUT you think you actually know $hit about the topics,... sadly too many think they are the exception NEWS FOR YOU fact of the matter is you have a conservative counterpart who is essentially ecologically oblivious and scientifically illiterate (which is why humanity is where we are,...up $hit creek w/ out a paddle)

FWIW here is a BBC podcast about nuclear power AND includes a segment about an environmental activist who started off protesting nuclear power, but eventually was awakened to the fact that nuclear power is a carbon free "base line" source of electrical generation

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/w3ct3khw

so going to follow your own advise???
An executive decision would be better called the Obama administration than 'the D's'.

You've never seen me post against 'new' nuclear technology (and yes I know that much of what we refer to as new is actually old technology). I'm against the nuclear power the US currently uses. massive plants with no plans as to processing the waste. In other words, the same corporate responsibility shown by tobacco and energy companies.

Democrats killed the funding?

An executive decision would be better called the Obama administration than 'the D's'.

You've never seen me post against 'new' nuclear technology (and yes I know that much of what we refer to as new is actually old technology). I'm against the nuclear power the US currently uses. massive plants with no plans as to processing the waste. In other words, the same corporate responsibility shown by tobacco and energy companies.

the democrats to a great degree like republicans enable corporate irresponsibility (and elected officials are more interested in politics than addressing extensional treats)

case in point,...

Big Water Abusers Ignored as California Drought Persists

In response to the drought, Governor Newsom has largely ignored these large corporate water sources. Instead, he has taken small measures aimed at the most wasteful of urban water uses, asked for voluntary conservation

http://www.foodandwaterwatch.org/20...users-ignored-as-california-drought-persists/

mean while,...

Gov. Gavin Newsom was smart to attack fellow Democrats for being wimps in the culture wars, including the fight over abortion rights — whether he was all wet or not. It was good party politics.

That harsh rhetoric and a lot more like it can propel him onto the national political stage, appeal to progressive Democrats who are impatient with the Biden administration and Congress — and begin to position himself for a future White House run.

http://news.yahoo.com/newsom-smart-attack-fellow-democrats-120029671.html

on the national level

point being,... high prices are a symptom that the market is saying there is more demand than there is supply,... and trying to outlaw high gas prices is akin to congress trying to outlaw the rising ocean tides,... basically an anti-gouging bill is a political show (for believers) AND is no different than republican anti-flag burning legislation nonsense

http://www.deseret.com/2005/6/27/19899187/flag-burning-amendment-is-pitiful-political-nonsense

The Democrats Really Are That Dense About Climate Change

http://www.theatlantic.com/science/...-pelosi-democrats-climate-change-bill/629822/

And the eco-wackos keep pushing the wonderfulness of EVs. That's liberal logic.

Yes!

Where is the "power" to support all those EVs?
Or simply TAX more for EV charging.

Moi

Don't further 🇨🇦ize
🇺🇸

The main driver of power usage in California is air conditioning which increases in the summer and has only gotten progressively higher due to global warming.

Telling American homeowners to use less energy under such circumstances is like sneering at the costly power usage of Europeans to keep their homes heated during the dead of winter and telling them to cut back accordingly.
There is also spending less time on your computer, less time watching television, turning lights off when you leave the room, etc...

How about a nice board game instead of hours of Call Of Duty? How about this thing called "reading" instead of reruns of "Friends"?

My biggest power bugbear is this whole smart house idea.
It uses loads of extra power for what seems pointless results.
Yey, I can turn on my bedroom lights from work with my fancypants internet enabled light switch isn't that amazing.
It's like having an entire house permenently on standby mode draining power.

My house has zero of that shit and I'm somehow able to survive just fine by using old fashioned switches.

If you have that stuff installed and need to save money that's the first thing I'd disable.

My biggest power bugbear is this whole smart house idea.
It uses loads of extra power for what seems pointless results.
Yey, I can turn on my bedroom lights from work with my fancypants internet enabled light switch isn't that amazing.
It's like having an entire house permenently on standby mode draining power.

My house has zero of that shit and I'm somehow able to survive just fine by using old fashioned switches.

If you have that stuff installed and need to save money that's the first thing I'd disable.
I am not to familiar, how does it use extra load? It seems to me it should be extremely low amps

I am not to familiar, how does it use extra load? It seems to me it should be extremely low amps

It's extra complexity and using computing power for no real reason.
Having everything in the house networked to a computer to control.
Making it so you can turn the toaster on from your bedroom for example or opening the blinds in your bedroom from anywhere on earth.
It's super popular with techy young types but I just don't see why I'd care about any of it.

Maybe I'm just an old fart but it seems like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Back
Top Bottom