• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

California among 8 states to vote on legal weed in November

From a natural selection point of view, I kind of wonder if legalizing weed might be beneficial. Of course we that don't smoke will enjoy the "freedom" of more government roadblocks ostensibly to catch stoned drivers, but hey all those tail light and cracked windshield tickets are nice revenue enhancers.

From a natural selection point of view, I kind of wonder if legalizing weed might be beneficial. Of course we that don't smoke will enjoy the "freedom" of more government roadblocks ostensibly to catch stoned drivers, but hey all those tail light and cracked windshield tickets are nice revenue enhancers.

Uh, you do know the War on Drugs is easily one of the greatest excuses to violate our liberties, jails millions, wiretaps, SWAT raids, etc.

And nothing about legalization changes the ability of cops to set roadblocks, and obviously such roadblocks are MORE likely in an era where getting caught with an ounce or so of weed might allow the cops to seize your car and all the cash you have on your person, maybe your home, without needing to convict you of a crime.

Two seconds with Google pops up this example: Police seize cash, property from Michigan residents in raids

Hey, he had 12 pot plants - plus some seedlings. That's good enough to seize $11,000 in cash, his car, other property, and they are trying to take his home.

Uh, you do know the War on Drugs is easily one of the greatest excuses to violate our liberties, jails millions, wiretaps, SWAT raids, etc.

And nothing about legalization changes the ability of cops to set roadblocks, and obviously such roadblocks are MORE likely in an era where getting caught with an ounce or so of weed might allow the cops to seize your car and all the cash you have on your person, maybe your home, without needing to convict you of a crime.

Two seconds with Google pops up this example: Police seize cash, property from Michigan residents in raids

Hey, he had 12 pot plants - plus some seedlings. That's good enough to seize $11,000 in cash, his car, other property, and they are trying to take his home.

Interesting point. Like I said, legalizing weed might have a natural selection effect.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-teenage-mind/201102/does-marijuana-cause-cancer

What an obtuse high fallutin' croc-o-**** empty-headed statement.

No, your response was a empty headed crock of **** statement. Just trolling really

When it comes to a issue as large and potentially influential as legalization , why shouldn't ALL members of the community get a say in the matter ?

And this includes those against legalization

Your inability to separate Libertarian principles from Conservative principles is your problem

No, your response was a empty headed crock of **** statement. Just trolling really

When it comes to a issue as large and potentially influential as legalization , why shouldn't ALL members of the community get a say in the matter ?

And this includes those against legalization

Your inability to separate Libertarian principles from Conservative principles is your problem

Who has suggested those against legalization should get no say? Answer: No one.

The point of this thread is to argue the merits of legalization, and you've done about like all pot banners in my recent (years long) memory - failed miserably to make a rational case. But sure, you get your say as the War on Pot defenders have had for decades now. They (you) have been wrong for decades, and decades of failure have proved them (you) wrong. Of all the public policy 'issues' I can think of, this one is the easiest one to figure - legalize it and treat it like alcohol or tobacco which is as a public health issue instead of a criminal issue. Save $10s of billions per year at least, ruin millions fewer lives, for very limited additional societal costs given pot's already wide usage by anyone who wants it.

Last edited:
OK. What's your point? Refined sugar (legal!!) might also have a natural selection effect. Same with refined flour, alcohol, tobacco, lack of exercise (all legal!!) and much more.

So, we should or should not legalize/decriminalize pot?

I would prefer it not be legalized, but I'm not going to picket the state capital if it is.

I would prefer it not be legalized, but I'm not going to picket the state capital if it is.

Fair enough. I guess I don't see the argument for cases like I cited giving the police the power to take a person's car, money, belongings and home, then throw him in jail, for growing a few pot plants. Seems to me those penalties should have to meet a very high burden to justify, and I've not seen any arguments that even come close.

I've got one! Potheads are really stupid when they're stoned so they are real easy to take advantage of. It's easy to roll 'em and steal their money and their weed. Best part is that they end up being suckers for crack, meth, H, and all those other goodies that make us dealers very, very rich. We just love dopers. (he, he, he, he)

Roll them and steal their money and weed? That's aggravated robbery, and is a felony, punishable by imprisonment for up to 20 years in Texas. And dealing crack and meth is also a serious crime. Are you posting from prison?

I've got one! Potheads are really stupid when they're stoned so they are real easy to take advantage of. It's easy to roll 'em and steal their money and their weed. Best part is that they end up being suckers for crack, meth, H, and all those other goodies that make us dealers very, very rich. We just love dopers. (he, he, he, he)

So, IOW, you've never been out in the real world you love comic books.

Makes sense now. Thanks!

Of course.

I guess you're trying to make powerRob's point that social conservatism = authoritarianism, at least on this issue, and I guess I mostly agree. So thanks for pointing out what underlies 'conservatism' in modern times.

So true, well said

GOP says there the party to secure personal liberty, only on certain issues. When it comes to cannabis, or abortion isdues,tgey have no issues issue telling others what they should with there own bodies.

Back
Top Bottom