• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Calif measure shows state's conflicted link to pot

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
SAN FRANCISCO – California has a long history of defying conventional wisdom on the issue of marijuana, including its embrace of the drug in the 1960s and its landmark medical pot law 14 years ago. So it may not be all that surprising that a November ballot measure to legalize the drug has created some odd alliances and scenarios.

Pot growers have opposed it. Some police have favored it. Polls show the public is deeply divided. Only politicians have lined up as expected: Nearly all major party candidates oppose the measure. And hanging over the whole debate is the fact that marijuana remains illegal under federal law.

The part I bolded pertains to a big question, which is also brought up in the article, and I actually consider this question to be more pertinent than the prospect of legalization itself . Suppose California legalizes marijuana. If that happens, then the Obama administration is faced with a huge dilemma. If they allow California to ignore Federal law, but are suing Arizona for ignoring Federal law, don't you think that this makes Obama in violation of Federal law himself, since he is picking and choosing which Federal laws to enforce? The role of the executive branch is to enforce the law, and Obama took an oath to do just that. He is going to be put on the spot if California passes this law.

Don't get me wrong here. I actually support legalization, but the article has raised a fascinating legal question here, which I would like to be the topic for this thread.

What would YOU do?

Discussion?

Article is here.

Is this a Taylor made he's puffing or a hand rolled courtesy of Zig Zag? :2rofll:

obama_smoking_funnylooking_cigarette_in_college_photo_main_9424.jpg

The part I bolded pertains to a big question, which is also brought up in the article, and I actually consider this question to be more pertinent than the prospect of legalization itself . Suppose California legalizes marijuana. If that happens, then the Obama administration is faced with a huge dilemma. If they allow California to ignore Federal law, but are suing Arizona for ignoring Federal law, don't you think that this makes Obama in violation of Federal law himself, since he is picking and choosing which Federal laws to enforce? The role of the executive branch is to enforce the law, and Obama took an oath to do just that. He is going to be put on the spot if California passes this law.

Don't get me wrong here. I actually support legalization, but the article has raised a fascinating legal question here, which I would like to be the topic for this thread.

What would YOU do?

Discussion?

Article is here.

Obama is suing Arizona for actually trying to enforce Federal Law because the AZ. law mirrors the Federal Law.

Obama is choosing not to inforce the Federal Law ae pertains to Illegal Aliens.

As far as the California Law the Feds, could do what they did to Alaska many years ago the force them to drop the legalization or face losing all their Share of Highway Tax money.

With Obama it's hard to know which way he might go because he was or is a druggie.

Last edited:
Suppose California legalizes marijuana. If that happens, then the Obama administration is faced with a huge dilemma. If they allow California to ignore Federal law, but are suing Arizona for ignoring Federal law, don't you think that this makes Obama in violation of Federal law himself, since he is picking and choosing which Federal laws to enforce? The role of the executive branch is to enforce the law, and Obama took an oath to do just that. He is going to be put on the spot if California passes this law.

This is what I've been thinking about since the Arizona law and Marijuana legalization issue was being pushed through the media. Our Marijuana (and immigration) laws are inconsistent and unjust. I'm not talking about agreeing or disagreeing with the content of these laws. I'm saying they are injust in the way they are handled at the federal level. Take the Medical Marijuana issue for example. The District of Colombia legalized medical Marijuana for it's citizens (Amendment Act B18-622) and this amendment was reviewed by congress. Congress allowed the amendment to be enacted, but the same congress did nothing to repeal such laws from the federal books. Congress is basically saying you can have your Marijuana in our nation's capitol, just don't let one of our federal DEA thugs catch you.

Same thing with the Arizona immigration law. I have my personal views on immigration, but the federal government shouldn't interfere with a state's right to govern. Especially when the same federal government is not making a real effort to reform our federal immigration laws.

Our federal government should do what we elected them to do. Keep the balance of power and keep their eyes on federal legislation - where they belong.

Back
Top Bottom