• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Calif. College Offers Scholarship to Illegal Immigrants

texmaster

Hippie Hater
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
A public community college in California has set up a scholarship fund for immigrant students — including illegal immigrants. The $2,500 scholarship has sparked anger by some, including at least one lawmaker who is threatening to cut off federal funding to the school.

Orange County's Santa Ana College says the controversial new memorial scholarship will be funded by private donations and honors former student Tan Ngoc Tran, a student leader and immigrant-rights activist who transferred to Brown University before she was killed by a drunk driver on May 15.

Students eligible for the new scholarship must have a 3.0 or higher grade point average, demonstrate a financial need and must also be trying to become an American citizen. Those eligible include students holding green cards, students who have permanent residency — and illegal, undocumented immigrants.

The scholarship was announced by the Santa Ana College Foundation at an informal memorial service for Tran held at Santa Ana College on Wednesday, said Laurie Weidner, spokeswoman for the Rancho Santiago Community College District, which governs Santa Ana College.

Once again a slap in the face to citizens and immigrants who play by the rules. And spare us the "no public funds will be used" Its a PUBLIC University. So the illegal immigrants aren't going to attend class, use the facilities or ride the elevators? Cut the funding off IMMEDIATELY. Rewarding criminals should be punished.

FOXNews.com - Calif. College Offers Scholarship to Illegal Immigrants

Firstly its in California, not in Texas where you are.
Secondly, of course schools are publically funded because they can’t pull in money from just fees and tuition, but that’s the state of California’s decision. You should respect their state sovereignty in my opinion and let California be California and we’ll let Texas be Texas.
Also don’t you think you might be overreacting a little? Immigration is a big issue but a 2,500 dollar privately funded scholarship at a California community college isn’t exactly going to break the bank. I don’t know which school this is but the local community college where I once lived in CA offered classes for 80 bucks a credit hour at most. And lastly since this fellow is getting an education and trying to become a citizen, whoever they choice, that this small 2,500 investment might actually turn him into a productive citizen? That’s just speculation but I think its more likely than it would be without his education.

Firstly its in California, not in Texas where you are.

So the hell what? The law doesn't matter in California?

Secondly, of course schools are publically funded because they can’t pull in money from just fees and tuition, but that’s the state of California’s decision. You should respect their state sovereignty in my opinion and let California be California and we’ll let Texas be Texas.

Do you understand they are violating the law? Does that even register with you?

Also don’t you think you might be overreacting a little?

Not even a little.

Immigration is a big issue but a 2,500 dollar privately funded scholarship at a California community college isn’t exactly going to break the bank.

That isn't the point and you know it. You don't allow illegals to break the law and certainly so they can deny legal residents college.

I don’t know which school this is but the local community college where I once lived in CA offered classes for 80 bucks a credit hour at most. And lastly since this fellow is getting an education and trying to become a citizen, whoever they choice, that this small 2,500 investment might actually turn him into a productive citizen? That’s just speculation but I think its more likely than it would be without his education.

#1 Illegals cannot work to become citizens. They are ILLEGAL. LEGAL citizens can. Why do you want to reward criminal behavior at the expense of our own citizens?

They probably shouldn't do this but I have a hard time getting angry about educating people who couldn't otherwise afford it.

I hope they publicize the recipient each year so ICE can be notified to deport the interloper!!

A public community college in California has set up a scholarship fund for immigrant students — including illegal immigrants. The $2,500 scholarship has sparked anger by some, including at least one lawmaker who is threatening to cut off federal funding to the school.

Orange County's Santa Ana College says the controversial new memorial scholarship will be funded by private donations and honors former student Tan Ngoc Tran, a student leader and immigrant-rights activist who transferred to Brown University before she was killed by a drunk driver on May 15.

Students eligible for the new scholarship must have a 3.0 or higher grade point average, demonstrate a financial need and must also be trying to become an American citizen. Those eligible include students holding green cards, students who have permanent residency — and illegal, undocumented immigrants.

The scholarship was announced by the Santa Ana College Foundation at an informal memorial service for Tran held at Santa Ana College on Wednesday, said Laurie Weidner, spokeswoman for the Rancho Santiago Community College District, which governs Santa Ana College.

Once again a slap in the face to citizens and immigrants who play by the rules. And spare us the "no public funds will be used" Its a PUBLIC University. So the illegal immigrants aren't going to attend class, use the facilities or ride the elevators? Cut the funding off IMMEDIATELY. Rewarding criminals should be punished.

FOXNews.com - Calif. College Offers Scholarship to Illegal Immigrants

Typical Fox News story -- you can't enroll in a CA college or university w/o a SS#.

:2bump:Move on, nothing to see here.

Although--the illegal students should be permitted to challenge any high school drop-outs complaining about this to an IQ test. Logically, we're better off deporting those will less potential to benefit society. Granted, the high school drop out may have been born here, but if they've never held a job and have a couple of DUIs or the like, wouldn't we better off getting rid of them? Just sayin'.

They probably shouldn't do this but I have a hard time getting angry about educating people who couldn't otherwise afford it.

So it doesn't anger you they are taking the place of legal citizens who want the same opportunity? Ever think about that?

Typical Fox News story -- you can't enroll in a CA college or university w/o a SS#.

:2bump:Move on, nothing to see here.

Typical Hazel. Ignore the facts and attack the source without any evidence to support it.

Although--the illegal students should be permitted to challenge any high school drop-outs complaining about this to an IQ test. Logically, we're better off deporting those will less potential to benefit society. Granted, the high school drop out may have been born here, but if they've never held a job and have a couple of DUIs or the like, wouldn't we better off getting rid of them? Just sayin'.

As long as you are first on the boat I'm all for it!

privately funded

It is not our money being privately donated, it is the prerogative of the donors to choose how and where they spend their money.

Last edited:
You left this part out, Texmaster. Maybe because it doesn't support your case?
Weidner repeatedly emphasized to FoxNews.com that no public funds would be used for the scholarship.

Private donations for the scholarship. Now you're against people spending their money how they want? Talk about a reversal in ideology.

privately funded

It is their money these private individuals are donating, it is of no concern of ours how they choose to spend it.

public university

They still have to use the schools's facilities and are still illegal

denying legal citizens the same access

You support this?

You left this part out, Texmaster. Maybe because it doesn't support your case?

Private donations for the scholarship. Now you're against people spending their money how they want? Talk about a reversal in ideology.

Not for a second. Do you understand this is s public university and the facilities being used are public by illegals?

Are you going to answer my question? Why do you support a program that will deny legal citizens the same opportunity?

privately funded

It is not our money being privately donated, it is the prerogative of the donors to choose how and where they spend their money.

Ok try to keep up. The number of students is not unlimited. If you allow illegals to join this university which they will use public facitlities not matter how much private money they receive they will be denying a spot for legal citizens.

Explain why you support this.

Ok try to keep up. The number of students is not unlimited. If you allow illegals to join this university which they will use public facitlities not matter how much private money they receive they will be denying a spot for legal citizens.

Because people can do what ever the hell they want with their money, it is their money to donate.

If you have an issue with foreigners getting educated and "limited space in schools" this is focusing a laser on one spot in the ocean, our schools are LOADED with foreigners, ones who have no intention of staying in the US after they get educated, and some that may.

If you have the money, and the ability, there is no issue getting a college education, noone is going to get denyed a spot over this.

Tex has this exactly correct. My daughter whom graduated two years ago with a 3.8 was denied a spot at the University of Maryland due to this very thing.

j-mac

Because people can do what ever the hell they want with their money, it is their money to donate.

So giving money to men who believe its ok to rape women would be ok with you?

If you have an issue with foreigners getting educated and "limited space in schools" this is focusing a laser on one spot in the ocean, our schools are LOADED with foreigners, ones who have no intention of staying in the US after they get educated, and some that may.

Please do not lie about my position. I said I have a problem with ILLEGAL immigrants not foreigners.

If you have the money, and the ability, there is no issue getting a college education, noone is going to get denyed a spot over this.

Wow. How deliciously ignorant of you. So no one is ever denied a college position even though space is limited and you support illegals taking those positions. Unbelievable.

I did enjoy your irony. If they have the money. Um hey chuckles, its a scholarship. So the legal citizens who apply are looking for the same money you want illegals be eligible to apply for.

Last edited:
Tex has this exactly correct. My daughter whom graduated two years ago with a 3.8 was denied a spot at the University of Maryland due to this very thing.

j-mac

Your daughter doesn't count. She's just a dirty play by the rules legal citizen. Didn't you get the memo? :roll:

Talk about impatient. You asked the same question 3 times in 3 minutes, getting angrier at the lack of an answer. Why do I support this? The way I see it, the more money that goes to education the better. If there's a larger demand, universities will expand or new ones will be built. That wonderful free market can adapt. I suppose my feelings on this stem from my belief that our immigration policies should be much more open. If you don't have valuable skills, a bunch of money, or a family member here, you have virtually no chance of being allowed to become a citizen. The only crime these people are guilty of is seeking a better life for themselves. Honestly I place illegal immigration as a crime on about the same level as underage drinking. I don't encourage it but as long as it's done safely I don't really have a problem with it. Someone working hard enough to get good grades deserves a chance. That's what America is supposed to be about, right? Opportunity? A $2500 scholarship can be a huge difference in someone's life if it gets them an education which leads to a career as opposed to menial labor.

edit: As I wrote this you equated illegal immigration to rape. Really? I mean, really?
There's a lot of things illegal immigrants sometimes do once they get here that I disapprove of, but going to school isn't one of those things.

j-mac

A lot of illegal immigrants in Maryland? Did the rejection letter tell you "sorry, we gave the slot to an illegal immigrant."
edit2: Basically I'm calling you a liar.

Last edited:
So giving money to men who believe its ok to rape women would be ok with you?

Its a free country (in theory)
, and it is their money.

Please do not lie about my position. I said I have a problem with ILLEGAL immigrants not foreigners.

Did i claim that was your position??

Wow. How deliciously ignorant of you. So no one is ever denied a college position even though space is limited and you support illegals taking those positions. Unbelievable.

to a community college.. not that I have ever heard of. First come first serve, it is open enrollment and acceptance or is your problem an issue that an illegal might be more eager and not procrastinate enrolling in the class making a lazy citizen wait a semester?

University is a different story, but then they are PRIVATE institutions.

Last edited:

Well, that's what a lot of students who didn't get their first choice like to tell themselves...

It was unfair... I'm smarter... I worked harder...

That's just not always the case.

Talk about impatient. You asked the same question 3 times in 3 minutes, getting angrier at the lack of an answer. Why do I support this? The way I see it, the more money that goes to education the better. If there's a larger demand, universities will expand or new ones will be built. That wonderful free market can adapt. I suppose my feelings on this stem from my belief that our immigration policies should be much more open. If you don't have valuable skills, a bunch of money, or a family member here, you have virtually no chance of being allowed to become a citizen. The only crime these people are guilty of is seeking a better life for themselves. Honestly I place illegal immigration as a crime on about the same level as underage drinking. I don't encourage it but as long as it's done safely I don't really have a problem with it. Someone working hard enough to get good grades deserves a chance. That's what America is supposed to be about, right? Opportunity? A $2500 scholarship can be a huge difference in someone's life if it gets them an education which leads to a career as opposed to menial labor.

edit: As I wrote this you equated illegal immigration to rape. Really? I mean, really?
There's a lot of things illegal immigrants sometimes do once they get here that I disapprove of, but going to school isn't one of those things.

A lot of illegal immigrants in Maryland? Did the rejection letter tell you "sorry, we gave the slot to an illegal immigrant."
edit2: Basically I'm calling you a liar.

The letter didn't use such blatant language as that. It basically said that as a part of their slots available, and their policy of a "diverse" student population that a slot would not be available to her. And you can call names all you want I know what went on.

Second, are you a wealthy person? Because if so, I'd like to see what you have. I think I might be entitled to some of it.

j-mac

Typical Hazel. Ignore the facts and attack the source without any evidence to support it.

I just gave you the FACTS. You can't enroll in a CA Jr college, CSU, or UC without a Social Security number or proof of legal residency.

As long as you are first on the boat I'm all for it!

I already graduated college (18 years ago). I've worked a job since I was sixteen. I owe a business in CA that employs people.

I wouldn't qualify to take the test I described. Would you?

Well, that's what a lot of students who didn't get their first choice like to tell themselves...

It was unfair... I'm smarter... I worked harder...

That's just not always the case.

Maybe not, but I am sure if you took the time to do a simple google of that time period in Maryland, you would see that was around the time that UofM came under fire for this very thing.

Further, lets not show your ass ok? You don't know my daughter, and to imply that she is somehow lacking something, that an illegal can offer a University is an insult, and you should consider yourself lucky this is a message board, and not an in person gathering.

j-mac

Back
Top Bottom