This is a discussion prompted by a post in the "my thought on gay marriage" thread.
Shuamort raises an interesting question. Did God really just create two humans, or did He create more people too? The Genesis creation account never mentions created humans other than Adam and Eve, and it such language as "the man" and "the woman" when referring to Adam and Eve. The Bible also makes specific claims that Adam and Eve were the ancestors of all other humans. Genesis 3:20 says, "Adam named his wife Eve, because she would become the mother of all the living" (italics mine). And we find in Romans 5's discussion on sin, "...through one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin, and so death passed on all men inasmuch as all sinned." If Adam were not the ancestor of all humans, sin could have not "passed on all men."shuamort said:As for Adam and Eve. Let's talk about incest and its problems keep the gene pool purdy:
Interbreeding two families causes severe retardation, mutation and infertility. The problem increases with severity the more the inbreeding occurs.
"...full-sibling or parent-child incest results in about 17% child mortality and 25% child disability, for a combined result of about 42% nonviable offspring"
Donald Brown, 'Human Universals' pp123
The phenomenon of nonviable offspring from breeding between closely related family members is not limited to Humans, but to most life, especially amongst mammals and multicellular organisms:
"A study of 38 captive mammalian species found a cross-species average of around 33% offspring mortality resulting from closely incestuous matings"
Donald Brown, 'Human Universals' pp124
Moreover, Kookieq, you'll have to show us where in the Bible it says that God created only Adam and Eve. It's obvious that either He created more people and they just weren't mentioned or that the Bible is wrong. So, Adam and Eve begat Cain and Abel. Then, according to the Bible, Cain goes off to the land of Nod to be with his wife.