• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

CA Chick-fil-A in hot water for being too successful

Excess sodium in the diet leads to high blood pressure, heart attack and strokes.
That is not a universal conclusion for everyone, but if somebody has high blood pressure then just don't eat Chick-Fil-A soup every day.

One of the problems with fast food, is that for some people it is a daily meal, rather than an occasional meal.

Nutrition guidelines suggest 2000 mg a day for healthy adults. Most Americans exceed that.
Most Americans are fat, lazy, and stupid. So, their health problems start in that space between their ears. By my observations, the dumber people are usually the fat/obese people. I shudder when I am at a restaurant and watch a parent allow their kid to have 10 refills of sodapop. In my day if you ordered a pop it was a rare treat, there were no unlimited refills, and the size of the beverage was only about 8-10oz. I was recently at a deli and ordered a SMALL diet soda to go, and the size of the cup was what used to be a LARGE. And how about that question the all ask: "would you like to supersize your order?" LOL---- yeah, that will end up with you being a super sized ton of lard in short order.

Food tastes remarkably good without being covered in salt. Maybe not Chick-Fil-A, but normal food.

Like I said, fast food should be a treat, not the norm.

Reactions: PoS
Pass on the cheese, fries and soda if your concern is sodium
I don't worry about the sodium---until it is so salty you can't eat it.

Cheese MUST be cheese---real cheese. If it is processed cheese, then that is just adding poisoned grease to your burger. Add avocado if you want that fatty creamy addition to the burger. Like I said, better choices do not need to be perfect choices.

CFA is always packed around here. They also co-host a TON of fundraising events and have by far the absolute best customer service/trained staff.

I will second that!

Those squeaky-clean, cheerful, and crazily-accommodating Born Again Christian kids are a joy!

I've sometimes been annoyed by Born Again's I've stumbled across in random daily life. But these kids are always great, and never annoying, once you get used to the idea they are being so nice because they really believe in being nice!

Our local Chick-Fil-A hires the best types of employees. A stark difference from the typical types you see working at McDonald's, Burger King, and especially KFC or Denny's. Chick-Fil-A (same as In-N-Out) have very high standards for employees, managers, and training--- and it reflects in the experience for customers---thus the long lines.

But the left HATES Chick-Fil-A because they are Christian owned company (same as In-N-Out), and why liberal Santa Barbara is declaring this as a "nuisance business".

Nuisance business????? It isn't like they are selling drugs, playing loud music, and a hang-out for biker gangs. If there is a traffic enforcement issue, then the CITY needs to address and enforce that. It isn't a successful business' fault that people like to go there. If this was an abortion clinic with cars lined up around the block then this liberal city would see that a no problem at all. The city would probably be providing traffic officers to facilitate the clinic.

Interesting how those not 'Left', think they know what we like, don't like, and think.

It's pretty ridiculous, don't you think?

I don't worry about the sodium---until it is so salty you can't eat it.

Cheese MUST be cheese---real cheese. If it is processed cheese, then that is just adding poisoned grease to your burger. Add avocado if you want that fatty creamy addition to the burger. Like I said, better choices do not need to be perfect choices.
Many Americans are not aware that "processed cheese" or "cheese food product" is not really cheese.

Yeah, I must be in paradise. I am unaware of the "low-brows" and have always received the right order. I'm kind of amazed at what a good job they do, considering the volume.

The signaling about KFC and Popeyes comes through loud and clear...don't need to turn your volume up any louder.

Remember, MickeyDee's are mostly proprietor owned franchises; their customer service can vary greatly among them.

My experience is that there are indeed quite a few marginal ones. They're usually not an absolute disaster, but they can be somewhat marginal. It's surely not all of them, but a fair number.

Many Americans are not aware that "processed cheese" or "cheese food product" is not really cheese.
Yep. And most of them are those big fat diabetic lard asses--- soon to be on dialysis.

20130708__story_b58ff14d-6006-4a0e-b30d-3cb49afcbffdp1.jpg

I will second that!

Those squeaky-clean, cheerful, and crazily-accommodating Born Again Christian kids are a joy!

I've sometimes been annoyed by Born Again's I've stumbled across in random daily life. But these kids are always great, and never annoying, once you get used to the idea they are being so nice because they really believe in being nice!
I must have missed where they hire only “squeaky clean” “born again Christians”.

Here I thought it was because they paid more, gave every employee benefits, had a scholarship program with over 80% approval rate and guaranteed their employees one day off a weekend, had actual paid training and had higher staffing levels than any other fast food place in town.

Starbuck's is ridiculous anyway. $5.00 for a cup of coffee?

Stupid to pay that.

Now maybe if they served Covfefe...?

Good old fashioned regular cofee not that expensive. Maybe $2 for a pretty big size. it's the ridiculous cappacinos' and other stuff that is absurd. But I pretty much make my coffee anyway, used to only go there to pick up some beans for home brewing, now I got a hand me down Keurig so that created a monster with coffee drinking, its just so easy and I love cofee

You telling me you have never been in a McDonald's? Never seen the types of low-brows they hire? At McDonald's not only are you lucky to get your order right, or everything in your bag, but there is always the risk the burger will have the patty on the outside of the bun, or the coffee cup has cleaning fluid in it.

BK, Denny's, KFC, Popeyes.... all places where you are more likely to be killed in crossfire.

Well, then you must live close to greatest McDonald's in the universe. My experience with that place here especially in Southern California, is that you are lucky to have a person who speaks English taking your order, and the ones which do seem to speak English, clearly do not understand simple requests like no pickles, or extra mustard. Heck, most of the food there is re heated and then "assembled" before serving.

McDonald's is a horrible place.
Any minute now now noat bene will come in here to talk about how this is judgemental.
My, but you got up on the judgmental side of the bed today. And unhealthy fast-food is delicious.
Oh wait, that won't happen, partisans wouldn't dare be consistent while pretending to be holier than thou

Good old fashioned regular cofee not that expensive. Maybe $2 for a pretty big size. it's the ridiculous cappacinos' and other stuff that is absurd. But I pretty much make my coffee anyway, used to only go there to pick up some beans for home brewing, now I got a hand me down Keurig so that created a monster with coffee drinking, its just so easy and I love cofee
I just pressed some Kona. I don't like anything with a paper filter.

I just pressed some Kona. I don't like anything with a paper filter.

I used to grind fresh beans and use a french press. Then I was given a Keurig, and the time to a cup went from maybe 10 min to less than a minute. Now I drink a ton more coffee

I used to grind fresh beans and use a french press. Then I was given a Keurig, and the time to a cup went from maybe 10 min to less than a minute. Now I drink a ton more coffee
It is true that I rarely drink more than 1 cup a day...

The only thing I've seen that comes close is the drive-thru line for Dutch Bros.

My kid has just introduced me to Dutch Brothers. I think what she brought me is called a "9-1-1 something"? It's a coffee slushie, and I think I don't even want to know whether it's made with real coffee or coffee-flavored syrup because it's so delicious.

it's so ridiculous, they have drive thrus for everything. Or Starbucks, I've seen super long line and if you walk in, there is no line. Plus, those lines can be slow when people order things other than just regular coffee and requires insane amount of work to make your fu fu cofee
I just get a coke zero or use my own coffeemaker though ive noticed its usually very hard to get flavor out of the beans themselves.

I must have missed where they hire only “squeaky clean” “born again Christians”.

Here I thought it was because they paid more, gave every employee benefits, had a scholarship program with over 80% approval rate and guaranteed their employees one day off a weekend, had actual paid training and had higher staffing levels than any other fast food place in town.

If accurate, I suspect that wouldn't hurt, either!

BTW - MickeyDee's is doing tuition re-imbursement too - these days.

That's great!

Agreed!

I saw a window-sign advertising $17-22/hr, which is pretty amazing to be honest. And that's where I saw the tuition statement, as they had another window-sign next to it with a list of benefits. There was a sign-on bonus too, but I don't remember what is was; it wasn't high, or I would have remembered it. I also suspect the higher-end of the rates could be for managers, but I don't know.

Interesting how those not 'Left', think they know what we like, don't like, and think.

It's pretty ridiculous, don't you think?

And most of us aren't even that far left. "Left" in their view is anything to the left of Attilla the Hun.

And most of us aren't even that far left. "Left" in their view is anything to the left of Attilla the Hun.

It's always a good thing to do to keep open dialogue with respectful individuals that think differently than yourself.

You will never understand them by having like-minded-people-to-yourself 'explain' them; you need to hear from them directly.

I will never understand what it's like to be a Black man, a women, or a gay man. And my Caucasian, straight, male, drinking buddies - try as the might - will never be able to explain it to me! I need to go to the source, which I do when the opportunity presents itself.

Now, their being the quickest I didn't know because I don't patronize this chain (for a totally non-political reason--the name just pisses me off).
You're missing out!!!!
I had been to one only a couple times until late last year. Those couple times, I had purchased the grilled chicken sandwich. It's okay but nothing amazing or special.
Then I had a long delay at an airport (by myself) and ended up chatting with a group of people also waiting hours at the gate for the same delayed flight. One of those people went and bought dinner at Chick-fil-A and brought it back to his seat at the gate. I thought - that's not a bad idea and I'm kind of hungry too. So, off I went to grab my dinner at Chick-fil-A. They didn't have the grilled chicken sandwich as an option with their limited menu at the airport. So, I just got the traditional chicken sandwich. OMG, it was so darn good!
Then we recently had a late grandchild sporting event and no reasonable time for dinner. So, on the way home we decided to stop at a Chick-fil-A (it was packed with two drive through lines!!!!!!!!!!). Anyway, I decided to try the Spicy Chicken sandwich. OMG, it was even better than the traditional. I expect Chick-fil-A will now become my go to when fast food is what makes sense for the day/schedule (pretty rare but it happens from time to time). I think it's really tasty and I no longer have any doubt as to why they are packed and over the top successful.

From what I understand, Santa Barbara banned new drive through restaurants some years ago, but the Chick-fil-a location in question on State Street (the main business street in SB) used to be a Burger King which had a grandfathered permit for a drive through which the city allowed to transfer to the new owner- which is much more successful. So, SB is the one that screwed this up. If they had banned drive thru places, then they should have not grandfathered in any transfers to NEW businesses who take over old locations. So now punishing the owner makes no sense.

In my city there is a very popular In-N-Out location that experienced a similar problem with backing up cars onto the blvd, and the city ended up working with the business to create an approach lane/turn lane by removing part of the city owned parkway near the In-N-Out drive way, Which can now accommodate about 10 cars without blocking the blvd. So now, if there is no room to enter that lane, then you get a ticket if you are blocking the right lane of the blvd for more than a few seconds--- when you can't enter the new turn lane. On busy days customers either circle the block, or go and park their cars where they can and walk up and order. But being that Santa Barbara is liberally infected local government, I doubt they will figure this out in any fair or reasonable way.
Yeah, In-N-Out is super popular too! I tried one once in Phoenix. I wasn't a fan of In-N-Out.

Yeah, In-N-Out is super popular too! I tried one once in Phoenix. I wasn't a fan of In-N-Out.

Now unlike Chick fil a, I have had In and Out and it was definitely not worth the line.

Back
Top Bottom