• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

CA Chick-fil-A in hot water for being too successful

My, but you got up on the judgmental side of the bed today. And unhealthy fast-food is delicious.
Oh my you got up on the whiny side of the bed today. I bet you think your comment isn't judgmental? It is delicious, but it is why so many Americans are overweight and a drain on our healthcare system.

are you telling me it isn't lazy to sit in a long drive thru line that clogs traffic rather than walk a few feet to get your food?

Oh my you got up on the whiny side of the bed today. I bet you think your comment isn't judgmental? It is delicious, but it is why so many Americans are overweight and a drain on our healthcare system.

are you telling me it isn't lazy to sit in a long drive thru line that clogs traffic rather than walk a few feet to get your food?
No, I'm not. Are you suggesting that the only reason people sit in a long drive-through line is because they're too lazy to walk? Think about what other reasons there may be before you answer.

The city created its own problem by banning drive thrus and then the existing drive thrus become too busy and block traffic. And people some say liberals are anti-business...
From what I understand, Santa Barbara banned new drive through restaurants some years ago, but the Chick-fil-a location in question on State Street (the main business street in SB) used to be a Burger King which had a grandfathered permit for a drive through which the city allowed to transfer to the new owner- which is much more successful. So, SB is the one that screwed this up. If they had banned drive thru places, then they should have not grandfathered in any transfers to NEW businesses who take over old locations. So now punishing the owner makes no sense.

In my city there is a very popular In-N-Out location that experienced a similar problem with backing up cars onto the blvd, and the city ended up working with the business to create an approach lane/turn lane by removing part of the city owned parkway near the In-N-Out drive way, Which can now accommodate about 10 cars without blocking the blvd. So now, if there is no room to enter that lane, then you get a ticket if you are blocking the right lane of the blvd for more than a few seconds--- when you can't enter the new turn lane. On busy days customers either circle the block, or go and park their cars where they can and walk up and order. But being that Santa Barbara is liberally infected local government, I doubt they will figure this out in any fair or reasonable way.

I think this has more to do with branch location than any attack on business.
Any business should consider its impact on the area and be open to discussions about mitigation.
The city approved the operating permit without questioning the impact on traffic. In this situation it was the government that failed to do their job, not the fault of the business owner.

This is more of a problem in the UK with our much narrower roads and generally different layouts.
A shop shouldn't really be causing a traffic bottleneck and if they do I don't see it as anti-business to expect them to help solve the problem.
Wouldn't the local council have a say in the type of business being proposed before it is opened? Here where I live in California, any business would need to submit detailed plans about the size of the structure, the amount and location of parking spaces. They type of parking spaces (handicapped spaces must be included). Ramps for handicapped, restrooms--- including the square footage of the toilet stalls.

My point is, that here in California (and this story takes place in California), EVERYTHING about a business/operating permit is clearly spelled out ahead of time. Any non compliance, and the business will never open. Too many restrictions from the potential business owner's perspective, and they will just look for a different location to invest in. Santa Barbara wanted Chick-fil-a to take over this former Burger King location realizing that there would be more sales taxes coming into the city. Seems like somebody in government failed to weigh the impact of this very popular franchise before permitting it to open.

(((Hugs))) Don't you find waiting in long lines for fast food rather oxymoronic?
Yes. It's also very annoying. When it happens, I sit there in line thinking, "This is a known issue, not a feature. Why aren't they addressing this?" There's a sit down restaurant in my region that features waiting in the parking lot four or five hours for a table. That doesn't seem like a positive feature to me.

When a private business blocks public through ways, the public should have the upper hand.

The business is not blocking anything. These are customers who are blocking the roadway of their own volition. This is exacerbated by the cities laws outlawing drive thrus.

So you have a problem created by the city, being perpetrated by potential customers who are acting on their own only on city property and that is somehow the businesses fault?

Yes. It's also very annoying. When it happens, I sit there in line thinking, "This is a known issue, not a feature. Why aren't they addressing this?" There's a sit down restaurant in my region that features waiting in the parking lot four or five hours for a table. That doesn't seem like a positive feature to me.

My usual barbershop is understaffed and has wait times usually over 5 hours so their fix to that was to close down a day and shorten hours of operation making wait times even longer. A lot of retail business is simple, I don't know why people struggle with it

There is another fast food place I like to eat at that shared a parking lot with a bank. Was never an issue at all. Chick fil a decided to put in a place across the parking and it absolutely screwed up business for both the other restaurant and the bank. So for that reason I will likely never know how good (or bad) their food is.

Look, I'll be honest, I did not read this thread, mostly because the snarky title was a dead giveaway as to the agenda:

"Those goddamn leftist Demonrats can't stand successful businesses."

Right? That's it, isn't it @Crovax?

Well, there's TWO In & Out burger stands in my town, Whittier, and here's what THEY DO when the lines get too long and spill out into the main thoroughfare...
They send three or four employees OUT into the parking lot with portable devices and they expedite the orders so that drivers can move faster.
Is Chik-Fil-A doing anything like that at that location?

Apparently they aren't...prove me wrong, I'll happily admit my error in judgment, especially if YOU will drop this stupid crap about leftists being hostile to business.
This is not about leftists, it's about people getting sick of being held up in twenty minutes of snarled traffic to go a mile or two down the main drag every day.
If EVERY business did crap like this, you'd be hearing a lot more about it, because it would create unsustainable issues across the entire town.

Stop acting like the man with a hammer who sees everything as a nail.

The business is not blocking anything. These are customers who are blocking the roadway of their own volition. This is exacerbated by the cities laws outlawing drive thrus.

So you have a problem created by the city, being perpetrated by potential customers who are acting on their own only on city property and that is somehow the businesses fault?
The problem is not the city. If the is too small to hold customers, the business needs to spend more to provide access. The city is responsible to its' residents, and if a business creates a nuisance in any way, it is up to the city to address it.

Why do I get the sense that if you were stuck behind one of their lines you'd be whining about that as well.

Look, I'll be honest, I did not read this thread, mostly because the snarky title was a dead giveaway as to the agenda:

"Those goddamn leftist Demonrats can't stand successful businesses."

Right? That's it, isn't it @Crovax?

Well, there's TWO In & Out burger stands in my town, Whittier, and here's what THEY DO when the lines get too long and spill out into the main thoroughfare...
They send three or four employees OUT into the parking lot with portable devices and they expedite the orders so that drivers can move faster.
Is Chik-Fil-A doing anything like that at that location?

Apparently they aren't...prove me wrong, I'll happily admit my error in judgment, especially if YOU will drop this stupid crap about leftists being hostile to business.
This is not about leftists, it's about people getting sick of being held up in twenty minutes of snarled traffic to go a mile or two down the main drag every day.
If EVERY business did crap like this, you'd be hearing a lot more about it, because it would create unsustainable issues across the entire town.

Stop acting like the man with a hammer who sees everything as a nail.

Clearly you have never been to a Chick-fil-A, because they do have someone out in line taking orders are EVERY location. That's part of how they operate.

And in this case the city caused this problem by banning drive thru forcing the ever increasing drive thru consumer into a fewer number of locations

The problem is not the city. If the is too small to hold customers, the business needs to spend more to provide access. The city is responsible to its' residents, and if a business creates a nuisance in any way, it is up to the city to address it.

Why do I get the sense that if you were stuck behind one of their lines you'd be whining about that as well.

That's the issue with the one I just mentioned. They were allowed to build in a small area with very limited parking. If you park to go into the bank or the other place then you get blocked into your parking place because you're stuck with not one but two rows of cars behind you, that aren't moving at the same time. Added Chick fil a decided it wasn't enough to screw up the parking for the other two businesses they also took over several parking spots for them or for their pick up only. It'd be far different if they had been the first business in there and the other two decided to build locations, but since they hogged in afterward it's pretty rude.

Clearly you have never been to a Chick-fil-A, because they do have someone out in line taking orders are EVERY location. That's part of how they operate.

And in this case the city caused this problem by banning drive thru forcing the ever increasing drive thru consumer into a fewer number of locations
Clearly you THINK the reason they banned drive-thrus is "BECAUSE LEFTISTS!!!!", which indicates either a lack of logic or an unwillingness to explore why the city made such a decision in the first place.
Ahhhh...couldn't POSSIBLY be because the citizens who live there were well past sick and tired of the traffic snarls.

Last edited:
I don't eat fast food much, typically only during travel like road trips and flying. Mainly because looking to stay healthy and lose weight, and I don't eat out much since I cook and meal prep for the week. Only had Chick Fil A once, and don't want to go because of their religious BS and their anti-gay stance many years back. there are many other options as well

That's the issue with the one I just mentioned. They were allowed to build in a small area with very limited parking. If you park to go into the bank or the other place then you get blocked into your parking place because you're stuck with not one but two rows of cars behind you, that aren't moving at the same time. Added Chick fil a decided it wasn't enough to screw up the parking for the other two businesses they also took over several parking spots for them or for their pick up only. It'd be far different if they had been the first business in there and the other two decided to build locations, but since they hogged in afterward it's pretty rude.

They were forced to use that spot because it was one of the few places that was grandfathered in to the draconian no drive thru law

I've never been to Chick-fil-A and don't intend to in the future. Lots of better options to get a sandwich here.

I think they like creating the traffic jams....people driving by make the assumption that they must be missing out on something really good and join the line. Works like a charm.

"Nobody ever goes there. It's too busy."

They were forced to use that spot because it was one of the few places that was grandfathered in to the draconian no drive thru law
Draconian? So .... not "leftist"...just draconian?
One man's draconian is often another man's relief from impossible traffic issues.
Sometimes democracy is messy like that.

Back
Top Bottom