• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

C-Span Slanting Right

H

hipsterdufus

I was surprised to read this but apparently C-Span's flagship show "Washington Journal" had nearly a 2-1 ratio of Republican to Democrat guests. This is according to FAIR - Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting.

Of the partisan guests, Republicans outnumbered Democrats nearly two to one (134 to 70). Not a single representative of a third party appeared during the study period.

People of color made up only 15 percent of Washington Journal's guestlist (100 out of 663). People of African and Asian heritage accounted for 4 percent each, while those of Middle Eastern and Latin American descent represented 3 percent each. No Native Americans were identifiable during the six months studied.

Male guests outnumbered women by four to one, at 80 percent to 20 percent. Moreover, 69 percent of guests were white males, while just 3 percent were women of color.

Journalists accounted for nearly a third of all guests (32 percent), the largest single occupational group on the guestlist. Of opinion journalists, 32 were right-of-center while only 19 were left-of-center.

Citizen-based organizations and public interest groups accounted for just 9 percent of total guests.

http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=2780

Full study here:
http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=2764

Interesting, but not as interesting as a recent study that found that the media is certainly left leaning, and that's not soon to change. So really, there is nothing to see here, move along folks, move along.;)

The majority of mainstream media tilts to the left... that according to a revised study by UCLA, set for publication next week. Among the findings: The Wall Street Journal, despite its conservative opinion pages, is the most liberal outlet, followed by CBS' Evening News, The New York Times, and the Los Angeles Times.

In fact, of the 20 major media outlets studied, 18 of them scored left-of-center. Programs ranked among the most centrist news shows include The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer and ABC's Good Morning America.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,179204,00.html

Deegan said:
Interesting, but not as interesting as a recent study that found that the media is certainly left leaning, and that's not soon to change. So really, there is nothing to see here, move along folks, move along.;)

The majority of mainstream media tilts to the left... that according to a revised study by UCLA, set for publication next week. Among the findings: The Wall Street Journal, despite its conservative opinion pages, is the most liberal outlet, followed by CBS' Evening News, The New York Times, and the Los Angeles Times.

In fact, of the 20 major media outlets studied, 18 of them scored left-of-center. Programs ranked among the most centrist news shows include The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer and ABC's Good Morning America.

That full UCLA study is not out yet. Let's debate it after it has been scrutinised. It's funny that it's getting so much play before it's released. :roll:

It would be interesting to cross reference the UCLA study - with FAIR's findings on C-Span.

BTW- Does Good Morning America actually do news? :mrgreen:

hipsterdufus said:
That full UCLA study is not out yet. Let's debate it after it has been scrutinised. It's funny that it's getting so much play before it's released. :roll:

It would be interesting to cross reference the UCLA study - with FAIR's findings on C-Span.

BTW- Does Good Morning America actually do news? :mrgreen:

LOL, you really are afraid of the truth coming out, are you not professor?:rofl

There're more GOP politicians in office than Dem ones. The chairpersons of the various legislative committees are all GOP members. The appointees are predominantly GOP appointees.

It seems only natural that there'd be more GOP folks who get interviewed.

Simon W. Moon said:
There're more GOP politicians in office than Dem ones. The chairpersons of the various legislative committees are all GOP members. The appointees are predominantly GOP appointees.

It seems only natural that there'd be more GOP folks who get interviewed.

Agreed, you also can't predict the gender or the race of callers, or in anyway affect, who indeed calls in. Of course men are going to be the majority of callers, they are the more interested gender, as far as politics goes. I think this study is ridiculous, and so are the people who worked on it.:roll:

Deegan said:

FAIR debunked that false UCLA study, and I posted a little more in depth on that in the UCLA thread. but here's the data again :

http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=2534

Rube Goldberg, media critic

Despite the marginal gain on the left, the survey once again found that the right receives about half of all think-tank citations, and that the center-to-right spectrum dominates with a combined 84 percent of citations. Certainly little support can be found in the media’s use of think tanks for the notion of a “liberal bias.”

Not that some on the right aren’t willing to try. Academics Tim Groseclose and Jeff Milyo got considerable attention for a paper they wrote called “A Measure of Media Bias” (12/04), which deduced a “strong liberal bias” from an analysis of news outlets’ use of “think tanks.” (The groups the study looks at are actually a combination of think tanks and advocacy groups.)

The report used a peculiar Rube Goldberg–like method to calculate media bias from think tank citations: Taking the Americans for Democratic Action ratings of congressional voting records as its yardstick, it assumed that media outlets have ideologies similar to those of members of Congress who cited the same think tanks that the media outlets did.

This approach is based on the problematic notion that politicians cite the think tanks that they most agree with rather than the ones whose citation will be the most politically effective—a problem the researchers acknowledge when they attempt to explain away some curious anomalies that their method produces. (The National Rifle Association comes out as a centrist group; the Rand Corporation turns out to be left-leaning.)

If the authors truly wanted to rank media outlets on the ADA scale, the simpler method would be to look at the ADA ratings of congressmembers quoted by those news outlets. One suspects that the authors avoided this obvious approach because the results would have been less to their liking: Studies in Extra! have repeatedly found various media outlets quote Republicans more often than Democrats, by ratios ranging from 3 to 2 on NPR (5–6/04) to 3 to 1 on nightly network news (5–6/02) to a startling 5 to 1 on Fox News’ Special Report (7–8/04). Fox News, according to Groseclose and Milyo’s method, is a “centrist” news outlet.

Deegan said:
LOL, you really are afraid of the truth coming out, are you not professor?:rofl

I was wrong on that - someone maybe trajan? said the study wasn't out yet. It is. It's wrong.

Who cares? Nobody watches cspan anyways. A lot of people on here say they watch all those long congress meetings but I know their lying. Its gotta be the most boring thing I've ever watched.

FinnMacCool said:
Who cares? Nobody watches cspan anyways. A lot of people on here say they watch all those long congress meetings but I know their lying. Its gotta be the most boring thing I've ever watched.

I actually watch C-Span a lot and have C-Span 1, 2 & 3. It helps a lot to get their e-mails of programming. I also listen to C-Span on Sirius too.

I was glued to it yesterday whith all the goings on in the Senate. The Reverse Robin Hood budget and Stephen's tacking on ANWAR drilling to the DOD/Katrina bill. I always like to go to the source when I can.

I don't know man. Mostly the congress is just long winded, monotone speeches. Now if congress was more British then that would be fun.

hipsterdufus said:
I was surprised to read this but apparently C-Span's flagship show "Washington Journal" had nearly a 2-1 ratio of Republican to Democrat guests. This is according to FAIR - Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting.

http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=2780

Full study here:
http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=2764
You are full of :hitsfan: . It all depends on who is hosting for that day. And just because "Bias news monthly" says so, they are running lies with dirty money. C-Span is THE ONLY news organization that is ENTIRELY run on donated funds. They are a NON-PROFIT organization. Thus they are not swayed by the dollar bill. Unlike many other websites, and major media organizations that have direct links to senators and meglomaniac CEO's, that have their own agendas aired on national television. Also it helps if you actually WATCH C-Span, than post WEBSITE propaganda. Instead of a flame post next time, I'm going to scorch the page. :ranton:

Hey Galen,
be nice to stsburns. He only hates me. He only flames against me. Well, he try's his best, but he always falls short of me considering it a flame. Actually, he doesn't flame at all with me. He just hates my guts. Which I kinda like. Wouldn't have any other way. So, be nice to my buddy (he'll hate me calling him that), stsburns.

How can C-span lean to the right? Isn't it just a camera in Congress? What are they doing, just turning it on when a Demo speaks?

C-Span isn't as boring as it was a few years ago IMO. It's becoming a soap opera of sorts. Well, C-Span isn't but congress is.

Back
Top Bottom