• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

BuzzFeed doesn't give an inch on its story.

Harshaw

Filmmaker ● Lawyer ● Patriot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/buzzfeed-responds-to-mueller-statement-we-stand-by-our-reporting

Their line:

As we’ve re-confirmed our reporting, we’ve seen no indication that any specific aspect of our story is inaccurate. We remain confident in what we’ve reported, and will share more as we are able.

Apparently this is the hill they want to die on, and in so doing, they are necessarily saying that it's the Mueller camp which is wrong about the evidence in the Mueller investigation. This isn't "yeah, but they didn't categorically deny it, so some of it may still be true." This is BuzzFeed saying in no uncertain terms that everything in their story is true, despite the statement from the Special Counsel's office.

As I've said in other threads, the credibility of BuzzFeed is surely on the line here, but so is the credibility of the rest of the news media. If they circle the wagons around BuzzFeed, and it sure looks like that's what they're inclined to do, then they deserve all the shots of "fake news!" aimed at them.

Unless, of course, BuzzFeed is right and it's the Special Counsel's office which is lying.

Which do you find more likely?

I think this is what happens when you rely on an anonymous guy who knows a guy who says he’s seen a draft of a report and don’t do any real journalism.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/buzzfeed-responds-to-mueller-statement-we-stand-by-our-reporting

Their line:

Apparently this is the hill they want to die on, and in so doing, they are necessarily saying that it's the Mueller camp which is wrong about the evidence in the Mueller investigation. This isn't "yeah, but they didn't categorically deny it, so some of it may still be true." This is BuzzFeed saying in no uncertain terms that everything in their story is true, despite the statement from the Special Counsel's office.

As I've said in other threads, the credibility of BuzzFeed is surely on the line here, but so is the credibility of the rest of the news media. If they circle the wagons around BuzzFeed, and it sure looks like that's what they're inclined to do, then they deserve all the shots of "fake news!" aimed at them.

Unless, of course, BuzzFeed is right and it's the Special Counsel's office which is lying.

They want Mueller to clarify. If Mueller does clarify the one person this helps is Donald Trump, more than it's doing already. Not sure what Buzzfeed's angle here is. Sure standing by your sources and your reporting is standard journalistic practices, however, do you do it to aid and abet a side of an ongoing investigation?

What is wierd is the ambiguous nature of Mueller’s office’ statement. One would think they would say that the report was largely false or completely false. News reports spoke of some false flag during Watergate. Makes sense that with all the stuff swirling around Trump, there would be fierce competition to scoop on another in the media and thus goofs. But no excuse if they didn’t have their story well sourced.

I'm at a loss to see how this is a substantive reflection on the rest of media, accept for those already having an ax to grind.

What is wierd is the ambiguous nature of Mueller’s office’ statement. One would think they would say that the report was largely false or completely false. News reports spoke of some false flag during Watergate. Makes sense that with all the stuff swirling around Trump, there would be fierce competition to scoop on another in the media and thus goofs. But no excuse if they didn’t have their story well sourced.
Yeah, the statement was legalistic and obtuse. It solved little, but did exemplify the immense gravitas Mueller carries.

Well, as Chris Matthews said, just because Mueller said it's not accurate, doesn't mean it's not true.:2funny:

Their line:

Seriously, is this a trick question?
The onus is on buzzfeed to prove what they say is true.

Well, as Chris Matthews said, just because Mueller said it's not accurate, doesn't mean it's not true.:2funny:

You knew this was the way it's gonna' go though...right? :lol:
Now we know for sure where the left gets their talking points. :lamo

They want Mueller to clarify. If Mueller does clarify the one person this helps is Donald Trump, more than it's doing already. Not sure what Buzzfeed's angle here is. Sure standing by your sources and your reporting is standard journalistic practices, however, do you do it to aid and abet a side of an ongoing investigation?

I thought the goal of journalistic integrity was not to take sides but just the truth.

but so is the credibility of the rest of the news media. If they circle the wagons around BuzzFeed, and it sure looks like that's what they're inclined to do

So if Buzzfeed gets something wrong, the rest of the news media has no credibility? That's absurd.
What evidence do you have to back your claim that MSM is inclined to "circle the wagons" around Buzzfeed?

I have seen all major news media NOT corroborate Buzzfeed, and even some reporting (Farrow) outright saying their own sources do not agree with Buzzfeed. I would be very interested to know what MSM organization has backed Buzzfeed with their own reporting/sourcing...that would be a big story.

Their line:

BuzzFeed has no credibility but they are free to present evidence and the names of those who accuse Trump.

They wont.

So if Buzzfeed gets something wrong, the rest of the news media has no credibility? That's absurd.
What evidence do you have to back your claim that MSM is inclined to "circle the wagons" around Buzzfeed?

I have seen all major news media NOT corroborate Buzzfeed, and even some reporting (Farrow) outright saying their own sources do not agree with Buzzfeed. I would be very interested to know what MSM organization has backed Buzzfeed with their own reporting/sourcing...that would be a big story.

We have watched over and over again as MSM "reports" constant anti Trump rumors and innuendo...passing on a BuzzFeed claim that is completely without evidence is more of the same.

"Bob, General Mattis is here."

"Well hello Jim!"

"I just need a second Robert. The man in the White House is crazy. Anything you can do to stop him from starting a war or the other crazy stuff he's talking about?"

"I don't think so. We have a year or so left on the investigation."

"He's dangerous. I mean really dangerous. He'll do anything to survive. He's gonna get people hurt."

"Okay. I think of something."

The only way they could have more egg on their faces right now is if their anonymous source turns out to be James O'Keefe.

I'm at a loss to see how this is a substantive reflection on the rest of media, accept for those already having an ax to grind.

The "if true" BuzzFeed yarn about hard evidence of Trump commanding perjury was being aired on many MSM outlets along with all manner of dire predictions for Trump et al. Putting so much faith in two alleged to be trustworthy anonymous sources about documentation never seen by the BuzzFeed staff is quite a stretch.

I heard it from a friend who, heard it from a friend who, heard it from another that...

Their line:

That reminds me - an inch is all trump has to give - according to Stormy.

We have watched over and over again as MSM "reports" constant anti Trump rumors and innuendo...passing on a BuzzFeed claim that is completely without evidence is more of the same.

Since I only watched CNN during that time, I can guarantee that every time they referred to the Buzzfeed story, they restated "CNN cannot independently confirm Buzzfeed's claim". I heard today on another station that three major media outlets had been unable to confirm Buzzfeed's article, and couched their reporting of the story attributing it only to Buzzfeed and stating "If true..." during their discussions.

tl;dr.

Their line:

Um, if the NYT and the Washington Post do their own investigative reporting that indicates Buzzfeed is wrong, how the **** are they culpable for Buzzfeed's mistakes?

I thought the goal of journalistic integrity was not to take sides but just the truth.

Those days are long gone, if they ever did actually exist.

Liberals get solace watching MSNBC and CNN.

Conservatives love FOX and talk radio.

Both groups know that they are getting a particular spin that may not necessarily be the truth, but they feel good.

Before 2016, the print media were dying. The Resistance has helped some liberal media to hang on for a little longer. Once the Donald is gone and is replaced by a liberal Democrat, the decline will be in full swing again.

I cannot name one American print/online source that gives ONLY the known facts, not gossip, rumor, or outright lies.

That reminds me - an inch is all trump has to give - according to Stormy.

MAGA Scorpions: "The bitch is hungry, so give her 1/8th of an inch and fed her well!" .

AggravatingAthleticDunnart-size_restricted.gif

Back
Top Bottom