• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Buying Girl Scout Cookies? - Think Twice

I've never bedded a former Girl Scout that wasn't an absolute hellcat in the sack.

Whatever they're doing, they're doing a Hell of a job of it and they have my wholehearted and enthusiastic support.

Korimyr the Rat said:
I've never bedded a former Girl Scout that wasn't an absolute hellcat in the sack.

Whatever they're doing, they're doing a Hell of a job of it and they have my wholehearted and enthusiastic support.

As a former girlscout it is true . I am a hellcat in the sack.

Also when I was in it they didn't teach anything pro abortion or anything like that. It taught us how to be model citizens and useful skills.

americanwoman said:
Also when I was in it they didn't teach anything pro abortion or anything like that. It taught us how to be model citizens and useful skills.

Well, yeah. That too-- Scouting is a good program that teaches our children and young adults a sense of responsibility and civic duty, and it should be encouraged at every level of society.

But I liked my answer better.

Well, yeah. That too-- Scouting is a good program that teaches our children and young adults a sense of responsibility and civic duty, and it should be encouraged at every level of society.

You have merely to peruse the link I posted to repair your respective dated/erroneous perceptions.

So two guest speakers whose views you disagree with at one Girl Scout convention means that the entire Girl Scout organisation is filled with feminazis?

Mate, just because you're rabidly opposed to anyone who doesn't fit into your black and white view of the world doesn't mean everyone else is, too. :roll:

AFAICT, the speakers at the convention are not in charge of, nor have they changed the GSA program.
I suspect that there are some folks who just enjoy being indignant and outraged. Why else would someone bother being concerned about the fact that some folks who hold political views contrary to their own. It's not as if the GSA are suddenly handing out merit badges for abortions. Their are all sorts of folks in volved w/ Scouts. That's a good thing. Sure there are quite a few people who hold views I haven't chosen. But, you know, Scouts is for them too. They have just as many opportunities to disapprove of my views on the world. Doesn't mean that we can't work w/ one another to make sure that the kids are having fun while learning valuable lessons etc.

The push to a political orthodoxy goes against the American values I learned as a Scout.

alphamale said:
The feminists have apparently successfully completely subverted the girl scouts into a PC feminist-in-training hitlerette corps.

http://www.cwfa.org/articledisplay.asp?id=8808&department=CFI&categoryid=papers

Don't support the creation of a new generation of feminazis - just about the last thing we need now.
First question, why is a man writing an article for the "concerned women of america"? Or more importantly, why is he the director?

Do Girl Scouts get an abortion badge now? I imagine it with a hanger of course.

Off to eat a box off Thin Mints.

Girl scouts are very community controlled with den mothers from within the neighborhood, usually one of the troop members moms. There's no way they could come in and push an agenda without parental approval. I always point out when I see examples of feminism gone wild so to speak. My daughter is a daisy and so far I haven't seen anything I could complain about within our girl scout community.

talloulou said:
Girl scouts are very community controlled with den mothers from within the neighborhood, usually one of the troop members moms. There's no way they could come in and push an agenda without parental approval. I always point out when I see examples of feminism gone wild so to speak. My daughter is a daisy and so far I haven't seen anything I could complain about within our girl scout community.

I get asked to speak or go to girl scout meetings all the time (many nurses at the hospital are den mothers etc.) I gave a lecture and demonstration on mountain biking, how to rock climb ( how to tie appropriate knots etc.) , advanced first aid, teach about STDs to the teenagers and how I made a career in the sciences (ex chemist). No nazifeminist topics.

I grew up in Asia so no girl scouts in my past but when I asked what they stood for (before I agreed to come and talk) was the following:

1. Developing your full individual potential.
2. Relating to others with increasing understanding, skill, and respect.
3. Developing values to guide you actions and to provide the foundation for sound decision making.
4. Contributing to the improvement of society through the use of your abilities and leadership skills, working in cooperation with others.

Sounds like good ideals to me. Nothing feminist. Perhaps part of building understanding is to know that the world is not black and white and that fellow women have different views of sexuality and birth control? Doesn't mean you have to agree with it. My experience with them has been about values of being a good citizen and helping others and learning to be indepedant.

Last edited:
From an NR article by Kathryn Jean Lopez

Everyone knows about the Boy Scouts, now one of the most controversial groups in America. But what about the Girl Scouts? All sugar and spice and everything nice, plus annual cookie sales, right? Not quite. The Girl Scouts of America have avoided the beleaguered status of the Boy Scouts only because the organization has surrendered to exactly the cultural forces the Boy Scouts are resisting. The Girl Scouts' leaders hope to make their youthful charges the shock troops of an ongoing feminist revolution.

It's been a long slide for the Girl Scouts. First, as James Davison Hunter points out in his new book The Death of Character, they dropped "loyalty" from their oath in 1972, in favor of "I will do my best to be honest and fair." In 1975, a Catholic archdiocese cut off all support of the Girl Scouts because of their sex-ed program. In 1993, the Girl Scouts made "God" optional in the Girl Scout Promise: "On my honor, I will try: To serve God and my country, to help people at all times and to live by the Girl Scout Law." (The Boy Scouts, meanwhile, have been sued over keeping God obligatory in their oath.)

Today, the Girl Scouts is arguably one of the most politically correct organizations in the country. Its executive director, Marsha Johnson Evans, has impeccable feminist credentials: She had a 29-year career in the Navy, during which she earned the title of rear admiral, only the second woman ever to do so. As head recruiter for the Navy, she was the mother of the 12-12-5 affirmative-action policy, a mandate to make the Navy look more like America: 12 percent African-American, 12 percent Hispanic, and 5 percent Asian/Pacific. According to Elaine Donnelly, president of the Center for Military Readiness, Evans "demanded quotas with full implementation when the liberal control of the Navy was at its peak. She is very much a feminist, and was promoted and thrived in the Clinton military."

Evans's Scouts march predictably leftward on almost everything. The Girl Scouts organization supports the Title IX legislation — which mandates gender equity in sports — in both the nation's capital (in 1998–99, the organization spent $56,800 on lobbying) and in its own literature. The Girl Scout Constitution includes a ringing endorsement of affirmative action in "recruitment, hiring, training, and promoting." Girl Scouts and Girl Scout moms are anti-gun, and were, naturally enough, represented in the anti-gun Million Mom March.

A Senior Scout resource book reads like an insert from YM or Seventeen. Scattered throughout the margins are a semester's worth of themes for after-school specials, including such statistical nuggets as, "One-fifth of girls have used diet pills, more than one in six have forced themselves to vomit, and half have skipped a meal in order to lose weight." Exercises include working through how the Girl Scout Promise and Law relate to such situations as "Supporting a decision to pull a life-support system from a dying relative" and "Ending a pregnancy." Some activities "you can do as a Girl Scout to address contemporary issues" include "organiz[ing] an event to make people aware of gender bias" or "help[ing] organize an Earth Day celebration."

"The core values remain the same, but throughout its history Girl Scouting has evolved to meet the needs and interests of girls today," says Karen Solzak Rice, a spokesman for the Mt. Wilson Vista Council of Arcadia, Calif. "Today's Girl Scout activities help girls grow up strong and give them skills for success in today's world." Girl Scouts now can earn the "Ms. Fix-It" badge for learning how to fix a leak, rewire an electrical appliance, or re-caulk a window, and the "Car Care" badge for checking fluids, filling tires to the proper pressure, and performing safety checks. And badges, which vary from council to council, go way beyond selling cookies. There's a "Domestic Violence Awareness" badge, as well as badges for stress management, for "becoming a teen," and a "Girl Power!" badge sponsored by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Girls can earn a "Decisions for Your Life" badge for participating in activities relating to teen pregnancy, including carrying around a raw egg for a designated period of time.

Victimization is central to the Girl Scout worldview, as the organization continues to propagate the now discredited notion that the nation's girls are a tribe of desperate Ophelias. Citing a survey from the American Association of University Women that has since been debunked, the Girl Scouts assures girls in its literature that teachers discriminate against them in the classroom, calling on boys more often. The new Girl Scout Research Institute, a clearinghouse of "research and polling information on girls," as National President Connie Matsui describes it, has just released its inaugural study, "Girls Speak Out: Teens Before Their Time," focusing on the supposed crisis of girls. Dr. Whitney Roban, a clinical psychologist at the research institute, advises parents: "You are hurting your daughter by trying to protect her. Sit down with your daughter and watch Dawson's Creek and the MTV Music Awards. Talk about it. It will be very revealing."

So why isn't the Girl Scouts, like the Boy Scouts, being sued and protested against for not allowing lesbian Scout leaders? Because they have them. The Girl Scouts does not have "a discrimination policy," as they like to put it — Girl Scouts doors are open to all, gay Scout leaders and girls.

Girl Scout policy forbids sex on Girl Scouts time. But the book On My Honor: Lesbians Reflect on Their Scouting Experience, published in 1997, is filled with coming-of-age stories sparked by gay encounters in the Girl Scouts. Along with an essay entitled "All I Really Need to Know About Being a Lesbian I Learned at Girl Scout Camp," and various stories of "butch" counselors who "wore men's clothes and had slicked back short hair," is testimony to the prevalence of lesbians in Girl Scouting. One writer remembers: "By the time I was a junior counselor, Mic was assistant camp director and her gruff, deep-voiced directives no longer scared me. I didn't know that most of the counselors were lesbians." Others remember how sleepovers and camping trips were opportunities for same-sex sexual experimentation. Girl Scout staffers writing in the book claim that roughly one in three of the Girl Scouts' paid professional staff is lesbian.

The organization itself is not shy about the issue. One resource book for Scouts informs its young readers: "Some girls have sexual attractions or desires for people of the same sex." Meanwhile, the Patriots' Trail Girl Scout Council in Massachusetts held a volunteer workshop this year on sexual orientation, working in tandem with the Gay Lesbian Youth Support project "to educate us about overcoming barriers that may exist in our organization and instilling a culture that is inviting to all girls," according to Mary Jo Kane, spokesman for the council. The Girl Scout council developed a mentoring program "for lesbian women and girls dealing with sexual identity." Says Kane, "I can only imagine the energy and leadership that would be unleashed — in society — if we spent our time and resources encouraging our girls — and everyone — to be visible, authentic, and bring 100 percent of themselves to all their experiences."

The St. Paul Pioneer Press reported this summer on a vivid example of the "authenticity" of today's Scouts:

For those of us who remember the Girl Scouts as the quiet girls in class who wore their green uniforms on Wednesdays, encountering Katze Ludeke can be quite an eye-opener. She seldom wears her sash for St. Croix Valley Troop 1256, preferring to accessorize with army boots and a lavender bra strap that slides persistently down her bare shoulder. Rather than stitching doilies and tea cozies, the talented seamstress has created her own costume company specializing in "fetish-wear." Instead of going for the Gold Award — the Girl Scout's highest honor — by reading to senior citizens, Ludeke pushed to start her own support group for at-risk teens called Queer Youth Exist. For her Gold Award application . . . Ludeke is submitting her work with gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender teens, with the support of her troop.
The eyes — and ire — of the world may well be on the wrong Scouts. There are currently 2.7 million Girl Scouts in the U.S. That's a lot of liberal feminists to look forward to. In a speech shortly after becoming executive director, the Girl Scouts' Marty Evans boasted, "We're not your mother's Girl Scout troop." No kidding.

My daughter turns five this october. I plan on having her become a Brownie nevertheless. Boyscouts are just a bunch of homophobic pricks.:mrgreen:

Oh my goodness. I am outraged OUTRAGED, and shocked. Shocked and OUTRAGED.

Can you believe that the woman who is leading the girl scouts has "impeccable feminist credentials".

What business does a feminst, a person who is looking out for the best interest for females, have running a girls group? This is just nuts.

:rofl I can't believe with posts like this how people come to the conclusion that the right wing is paranoid.

WATCH OUT FOR GIRL SCOUTS:rofl

OH MY GOD, LOCK YOUR DOORS, THEY'RE SELLING COOKIES in in LITTLE BROWN DRESSES.....................HELP HELP:rofl

bandaidwoman said:
My daughter turns five this october. I plan on having her become a Brownie nevertheless. Boyscouts are just a bunch of homophobic pricks.:mrgreen:

Just like the wingnut left has engaged in a war on boyscouts, e.g. refusing to let them use government schools after hours, all opponents of fascism should withdraw support for what has become a feminazi training network.

alphamale said:
Just like the wingnut left has engaged in a war on boyscouts, e.g. refusing to let them use government schools after hours, all opponents of fascism should withdraw support for what has become a feminazi training network.

So to defend you're proposal, you are comparing it to a group you yourself call "nuts"?

So they're crazy, you can be crazy?

You're both nuts

:rofl

millsy said:
So to defend you're proposal, you are comparing it to a group you yourself call "nuts"?

So they're crazy, you can be crazy?

You're both nuts

:rofl

The same techniques can be used by both rational and oppressive persons for different ends, einstein.

Korimyr the Rat said:

It's so interesting how things like that really do shape people.

Girl scouts = crazy fun.
Girls who were in YoungLife = blueball bonanza. avoid them at all costs.

I wonder what a girl who was in both would be like...

Go here to find out where to buy Girl Scout Cookies near you.

Samoas are possibly the greatest things ever.

alphamale said:
The same techniques can be used by both rational and oppressive persons for different ends, einstein.

"avoid the boy scouts"

"avoid the girls scouts"

Both equally crazy.

Yeah. Scouting is a fine tradition that teaches our youth responsibility, courage, and honor-- as well as useful survival skills.

By the gods, you may as well attack Mother and Apple Pie if you're going to attack such a fine American institution.

Korimyr the Rat said:
Yeah. Scouting is a fine tradition that teaches our youth responsibility, courage, and honor-- as well as useful survival skills.

By the gods, you may as well attack Mother and Apple Pie if you're going to attack such a fine American institution.

You've got a nostalgic, anachronistic view of the girlscouts as an institution.

Back
Top Bottom