• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

But.... muh parks!

EMNofSeattle

No Russian ever called me deplorable
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Wow, maybe the idea of privatization of national parks isn’t so out there after all.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/3998...cial&utm_content=062316-news&utm_campaign=mjk

So why again am I paying taxes so the upper middle class can look at a geyser? Apparently the recreation groups are maintaining Yellowstone to protect their own business interests and you don’t have to pay 35 dollars to enter.

Right now 44,000 US Coast Guard are going without pay...I don't have a boat...Why should I care?

Right now 44,000 US Coast Guard are going without pay...I don't have a boat...Why should I care?

Actually they are getting their next check on time, but regardless there’s a massive difference between the Coast Guard, which is a function of government under the night watchman state model, and managing large amounts of land inefficiently for the benefit of a small number of people who can afford to visit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually they are getting their next check on time, but regardless there’s a massive difference between the Coast Guard, which is a function of government under the night watchman state model, and managing large amounts of land inefficiently for the benefit of a small number of people who can afford to visit.

They aren't getting paid...Still under your logic, I shouldn't pay them a dime of tax money....Since I don't utilize their services ...Typical self centered Libertarian Bull****

Wow, maybe the idea of privatization of national parks isn’t so out there after all.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/3998...cial&utm_content=062316-news&utm_campaign=mjk

So why again am I paying taxes so the upper middle class can look at a geyser? Apparently the recreation groups are maintaining Yellowstone to protect their own business interests and you don’t have to pay 35 dollars to enter.

The irony is that as a hardcore Trump supporter you likely support taking everyone else's money to build a wall. Why should I be subsidizing Trump's dumbass supporters when they want to pay in Mexico's stead?

"National parks! More like a park for America's super rich! Only the richest can afford to drive to a park and enjoy nature, let's stop the subsidy!" :roll:

They aren't getting paid...Still under your logic, I shouldn't pay them a dime of tax money....Since I don't utilize their services ...Typical self centered Libertarian Bull****

Maybe you shouldn’t. Back when the Revenue service (which is what the coast guard came from) was started they were funded exclusively from import tariffs and seized property from smugglers. There may be an argument there. Boats can carry insurance for SAR services, or it can be funded by user fees like the FAA is, the FAA services are funded by a tax on aviation fuel and fees paid by airlines.

So there may be a private model for coast guard funding. It’s certainly worth a look

The irony is that as a hardcore Trump supporter you likely support taking everyone else's money to build a wall. Why should I be subsidizing Trump's dumbass supporters when they want to pay in Mexico's stead?

"National parks! More like a park for America's super rich! Only the richest can afford to drive to a park and enjoy nature, let's stop the subsidy!" :roll:

Call Nancy and ask her to pass legislation calling for an account that can be donated to for the only purpose of building a wall then. I can’t change how the system is set up today. Only advocate for it to be better

Maybe you shouldn’t. Back when the Revenue service (which is what the coast guard came from) was started they were funded exclusively from import tariffs and seized property from smugglers. There may be an argument there. Boats can carry insurance for SAR services, or it can be funded by user fees like the FAA is, the FAA services are funded by a tax on aviation fuel and fees paid by airlines.

So there may be a private model for coast guard funding. It’s certainly worth a look

You should go down to their base and tell them how useless they are....Do it...Do it now

You should go down to their base and tell them how useless they are....Do it...Do it now

I do not believe they are useless at all. So why would I do that?

I live about 45 minutes from the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. About 11 million tourists visited it last year, and another 11 million locals traveled to or through it, and it costs nothing to enter or use.

I do not believe they are useless at all. So why would I do that?

You've stated proudly and without shame...That these brave Men and Women duties ,should be privatized...A for profit organization.....You dis-honour their sacrifices and their service with such non sense

You've stated proudly and without shame...These brave Men and Woman roles should be privatized...A for profit organization.....You dis-honour their sacrifices and their with such non sense

I actually did not say they should be privatized. I said that I make a distinction between law enforcement and recreation. You tried to argue otherwise.

I live about 45 minutes from the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. About 11 million tourists visited it last year, and another 11 million locals traveled to or through it, and it costs nothing to enter or use.

Now a recreation club with 11 million dues paying members should be more then capable of paying upkeep for Park I think

What you are seeing with private companies step in to help is an emergency measure, not a business model proof of concept. In a way they are also proving a point that our elected leaders will never understand.

But privatization of national parts is not a wise idea. The core reason for national parks runs contrary to business intentions.

Now a recreation club with 11 million dues paying members should be more then capable of paying upkeep for Park I think

Why stop there? Why should you have to pay for roads you don't directly drive on? Public schools you don't attend? Police and fire services you don't need because you're not currently being robbed or on fire? Why not just tear down our entire society, and give it all to corporations so they can make fat bank off of all of us, arbitrarily charging us for the basic amenities of life!

Want to feed a duck? Pay 5 dollars. Ride on a slide? That'll be another 5. Want to drive to the store to get food? Be sure to bring lots of extra cash to pay 15 different tolls for every road you get on.

No, America doesn't want to give away our national parks to corporations so they can sell it back to us. You don't get to pick everything your taxes go to and you never will. These kinds of suggestions are why libertarians aren't taken seriously. Nowhere on earth is there an example of such extreme privitization that isn't a complete **** hole.

Do you want something available only to the upper middle class and up or everyone? Seems like you're just throwing random comments out there. My point was the GSMNP isn't just for the upper middle class, but everyone in this area including lots of non-rich who swim, fish, and hike in the park with their young kids, and lots of non-rich all up and down the eastern seaboard who can visit for the cost of a tank of gas, with in fact lots of affordable lodging just outside the park.

Do you want something available only to the upper middle class and up or everyone? Seems like you're just throwing random comments out there. My point was the GSMNP isn't just for the upper middle class, but everyone in this area including lots of non-rich who swim, fish, and hike in the park with their young kids, and lots of non-rich all up and down the eastern seaboard who can visit for the cost of a tank of gas, with in fact lots of affordable lodging just outside the park.

No, no, it's only the ultra wealthy that go to free parks, those awful poor people can't afford to go to the woods. That's why all of our parks are filled with monocles and top hats the rich left behind.

No, no, it's only the ultra wealthy that go to free parks, those awful poor people can't afford to go to the woods.

I've been to many parks...Mostly families and working class folks...Didn't see any Limousines....Where do these bitter resentful Libertarian types get their information?

Yeah that'll go about as well as private fire departments did.

No, no, it's only the ultra wealthy that go to free parks, those awful poor people can't afford to go to the woods. That's why all of our parks are filled with monocles and top hats the rich left behind.

I don’t know where these “free national parks” even are, all the ones around here have entry fees. You need to get permits if you want to camp, they’re now limiting the number of visitors because like I guess people actually visiting makes mother Gaia cry or something.

Oddly enough all the private logging land is basically open for hiking during daylight hours and no fee at all. Odd

Yeah that'll go about as well as private fire departments did.

How well did they do? You’re not really making an argument. There’s many rural areas with subscription fees for fire protection, and the subscription fees in this model are far less then property taxes the fire districts love to charge

Back
Top Bottom