• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Businesses Refusing Service To Certain Customers

That was a recent discussion in the forum about a restaurant refusing to serve police officers. This was in connexion with blacks being shot by police.

Thanks, but it's a very big forum with thousands of posts per day, and most of us aren't able to keep up with all of them. Hence, my confusion and my request for source material.

It is, when it 1) destroys the business and the family's livelihood and 2) shows a systematic breech in the protection afforded minorities by the Constitution. Personally, I think the latter is worse.
I must have missed something..... What bakers have had their businesses destroyed and constitutional liberties trampled?

How stupid do you have to be to work at a donut place and refuse to sell to cops? :lamo

Never rob a bank within 3 miles of the counties best donuts or donut shop. You are destined to fail.

Why can't they just spit in their food like any decent fast food worker would do? I'm just kidding..... Don't get all worked up!

ROTFLMAO...Good one.

Actually, cops have to be crazy to go to lunch in uniform for that reason. You never know. I'd brown bag it.

Never rob a bank within 3 miles of the counties best donuts or donut shop. You are destined to fail.
If you need to find a county sheriff in my area at night, come to kwik trip. There's usually a half dozen of them hanging out by the donut case.

Why is it that the left gets up in arms if businesses wish to refuse service to certain customers but then we get incidences where lefties want to refuse service to police officers?

Cause police be killers

How stupid do you have to be to work at a donut place and refuse to sell to cops? :lamo

yeah I know the irony is hilarious.

I must have missed something..... What bakers have had their businesses destroyed and constitutional liberties trampled?

There was the bakers in Oregon they had to shut their business down. the city fined them out of business basically for expressing
what is a protect right garenteed by the constitution and their refusal to be part of an event that they didn't believe in.

not sure about the baker in CO. I think he has stopped selling wedding cakes though.

in all accounts the courts ignored their constitutional rights as the first amendment guarantee's and basically said
that other peoples rights trump theirs which is technically unconstitutional.

1.) There was the bakers in Oregon they had to shut their business down. the city fined them out of business basically for expressing
what is a protect right garenteed by the constitution and their refusal to be part of an event that they didn't believe in.
2.)not sure about the baker in CO. I think he has stopped selling wedding cakes though.
3.) in all accounts the courts ignored their constitutional rights as the first amendment guarantee's and basically said

You didnt answer the question
1.) 100% factually false and a lie
2.) if anything happened to him it was legal and constitutional
3.) also 1000% false and factually a lie
rights, facts ,laws, the constitution and court cases all prove your claims to be factually wrong.
if you disagree please post ONE fact that supports your lies and makes them true . . . ONE . . you wont cause you cant because they are lies, we'll be waiting, thanks! LMAO
:popcorn2:

Why is it that the left gets up in arms if businesses wish to refuse service to certain customers but then we get incidences where lefties want to refuse service to police officers?

"Lefties" WANT to refuse service to cops?
Weird can you show where thats happening that makes it a leftie thing
also I can remember anybody really up in arms for "refusing service" that would make it a left right or middle thing? LOL

maybe start your thread with some examples and facts and it will be more successful and not fail.

There was the bakers in Oregon they had to shut their business down.
Sigh

The bakery in Oregon discriminated against a customer. Rather than accept the ruling, they chose to fight it to the bitter end and beyond, and chose to stop operating. They have almost certainly paid for their fines and legal fees with donations.

The Colorado shop is (afaik) still in operation, and appealing multiple rulings against it.

The Constitution does not grant public accommodations the right to violate a customer's civil rights. Including the civil rights of police officers.

I assume you will ignore all the other threads which have hashed out these issues ad infinitum and persist with your factually incorrect claims anyway. Carry on, then....

Sigh

The bakery in Oregon discriminated against a customer. Rather than accept the ruling, they chose to fight it to the bitter end and beyond, and chose to stop operating. They have almost certainly paid for their fines and legal fees with donations.

In which they were discriminated against as well. religious discrimination is discrimination did you not realize this?

The Colorado shop is (afaik) still in operation, and appealing multiple rulings against it.

Which they should. they have rights as well ignoring their rights is unconstitutional.

The Constitution does not grant public accommodations the right to violate a customer's civil rights. Including the civil rights of police officers.

not wanting to participate in an event is not discrimination as another judge had said when a gay baker refused to make
a cake for a religious person. in fact the judge ruled for that baker in saying that the baker did not have to support the message.

however that was thrown out by other judges when it came to Christian bakers being sued. which means there is a conflict in the law
and equal protection does not apply.

I assume you will ignore all the other threads which have hashed out these issues ad infinitum and persist with your factually incorrect claims anyway. Carry on, then....

yes please carry on.

There was the bakers in Oregon they had to shut their business down. the city fined them out of business basically for expressing

Yeah, not so much. They did not have their business shut down, they CHOSE to close it because they had made so much money, more than half a million dollars, through crowdfunding from terminally delusional theists, that they no longer had to work. There is nowhere in the Constitution, nowhere, that says you get to ignore any law you want because you have a religion.

not sure about the baker in CO. I think he has stopped selling wedding cakes though.

He stopped selling cakes because he's a religious bigot and doesn't want to be forced to follow the law. Screw him. Oh, and he had a crowdfunding campaign going too.

in all accounts the courts ignored their constitutional rights as the first amendment guarantee's and basically said

Sorry, there is no religious right to ignore the law. The courts have overwhelmingly ruled against these people in every single case in which it has come up.

Try again.

Yeah, not so much. They did not have their business shut down, they CHOSE to close it because they had made so much money, more than half a million dollars, through crowdfunding from terminally delusional theists, that they no longer had to work. There is nowhere in the Constitution, nowhere, that says you get to ignore any law you want because you have a religion.

What it says is that congress (which includes the state) all not infringe on religious or the free exercise thereof.
forcing bakers who do not believe in gay marriage to celebrate something that violate their religious beliefs is unconstitutional.
whether you like it or not. this is backed up by the freedom for reformation act.

He stopped selling cakes because he's a religious bigot and doesn't want to be forced to follow the law. Screw him. Oh, and he had abbb crowdfunding campaign going too.

yes we know these people that sue Christians for what they believe are religious bigots you don't have to tell us.

Sorry, there is no religious right to ignore the law. The courts have overwhelmingly ruled against these people in every single case in which it has come up.

Try again.

because courts are not supporting constitutional rights of people should say there is a huge issue with the court system more so when they give
an excuse to a gay baker that was sued that they didn't have to make the cake because it was there right to not support a religious message.

what happened to equal protection under the law?

What it says is that congress (which includes the state) all not infringe on religious or the free exercise thereof.
forcing bakers who do not believe in gay marriage to celebrate something that violate their religious beliefs is unconstitutional.
whether you like it or not. this is backed up by the freedom for reformation act.

That's Congress. Not the courts. Nowhere does it say the courts cannot decide what is and is not legal. Try again.

1.)In which they were discriminated against as well. religious discrimination is discrimination did you not realize this?
2.)Which they should. they have rights as well ignoring their rights is unconstitutional.
3.)not wanting to participate in an event is not discrimination as another judge had said when a gay baker refused to make
a cake for a religious person. in fact the judge ruled for that baker in saying that the baker did not have to support the message.
4.)however that was thrown out by other judges when it came to Christian bakers being sued. which means there is a conflict in the law
and equal protection does not apply.
5.)yes please carry on.

1.) another posted lie, there was ZERO religious discrimination in the case you are talking about. If you disagre post one single fact to support your posted lie.
2.) no rights of theirs were ignored. disagree, prove it with facts
3.) good thing thats FACTUALLY not what happen nor is it what the case is about , another lie destroyed. If you disagree then show the case were it says the baker got in toruble for not participating in an event LMAO
4.) in reality based on law, facts, rights and the constitution there is no conflict, its only in your head.
5.) we will since you will never be able to produce one fact that supports your dishonest and factually wrong claims

In which they were discriminated against as well. religious discrimination is discrimination did you not realize this?
The owners were not discriminated on the basis of religion. The religion of the bakery owners had nothing to do with any of the state or court rulings.

Which they should. they have rights as well ignoring their rights is unconstitutional.
Civil rights laws have repeatedly been challenged, and found to be constitutionally valid.

And if you want to protect your right to be a bigot, that's fine... You just have to operate as a genuine private club, rather than as a public accommodation.

not wanting to participate in an event is not discrimination as another judge had said when a gay baker refused to make a cake for a religious person. in fact the judge ruled for that baker in saying that the baker did not have to support the message.
I happen to disagree with that particular ruling, and said so on this board at the time. I found it to be an inconsistent ruling.

That said: Making a cake is not "participating in an event," and no one assumes that the baker actually endorses every message on every cake. E.g. if I ask a bakery to make a cake that says "Happy Birthday to Ludin," no one assumes that the baker is the one who is wishing you a happy birthday; the baker probably doesn't even know who you are.

It is the customer, not the service provider, who is making the expression. Thus, the baker is not protected by the First Amendment. See the Elane Photography New Mexico court ruling for a more in-depth discussion of the various aspects involved.

1.)What it says is that congress (which includes the state) all not infringe on religious or the free exercise thereof.
2.)yes we know these people that sue Christians for what they believe are religious bigots you don't have to tell us.
3.)because courts are not supporting constitutional rights of people should say there is a huge issue with the court system more so when they give
an excuse to a gay baker that was sued that they didn't have to make the cake because it was there right to not support a religious message.
4.) what happened to equal protection under the law?

1.) as soon as you say the word force you lie blows up in your face there is no force LMAO NOTHING backs up your lie, not one single fact.
2.) thats true, SOME of them are, some are just criminals and some just dont care about the rights of others. If these facts bother you see if you can get the definition of bigot and criminal changed or rewrite the constitution. Until then reality doesn't care about your false opinions.
3.) here it comes a CONSPIRACY THEORY sorry once gain your lies hold zero weight
4.) its fully in place in these cases, YOU just dont like it but facts rights and laws dont care what you like

Not to be rude, but it is usually incumbent upon the OP (person who creates the Opening Post and starts the thread) to provide the source material so that others know what the **** he/she is talking about. Since that was too much trouble for you, trying to Google up what the **** you were talking about was too much trouble for me. :)

Links were already provided by someone else but I guess it was too much trouble tor you to click on.

I want to go into business so I can refuse to serve my customers .... :lamo

"Lefties" WANT to refuse service to cops?
Weird can you show where thats happening that makes it a leftie thing
also I can remember anybody really up in arms for "refusing service" that would make it a left right or middle thing? LOL

maybe start your thread with some examples and facts and it will be more successful and not fail.

Since it is common knowledge I didn't think I needed to prove anything. Other posters did post links. I don't know of any "righties" who refuse to serve cops. It's a hypocritical lefty thing. Please feel free to post any links you want where righties have refused service to police.

Again, can you show any links or sources to those reports? I'm not denying they may have happened, but forgive me for wanting more than an off-the-cuff say-so by forum posters.

The police officer bit into a sandwich Monday and encountered a crunching sound and a “grisly texture.”

When he looked inside the sandwich, he saw shards of glass. Then he discovered his mouth was bleeding.
Ohio restaurant serves glass in police officer's sandwich | Columbus Ledger-Enquirer

There was also the teriyaki place in Washington or Oregon that was in the news all last week for refusing to serve cops. There have been LOTS of stories recently though it tends to happen on occasion all over the place.

I didn't post any links because it is common knowledge and has made the news a lot. I thought most people here kept up with the news. Don't you have a search engine? If it had happened only one time I would have posted a link but in reality, if it had only happened one time I would have never started this thread. Not to be rude, but the info is easily found if you do a simple search.

You've got to be careful with that common knowledge nowadays or you'll be smeared all over the media for plagiarizing.

Back
Top Bottom