• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Bush's proposed 2007 budget is out

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
This budget is a mixed bag. Some parts are bound to really tick people off, while other parts are going to make them happy. No matter what your political position is, you will be pissed at parts of the budget and happy with other parts.

So what do you like about the budget and what do you dislike?

For me, the best part is the healthy increase in funding for veterans. This has been a long time coming. On the other hand, I dont like the cuts in the Corp of Engineers, which is all but going to gut that department. Dont like the cuts in Department of Justice either. Defense -8.7? Not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing. Education -28.5? That is a humdinger, but the states are better at dealing with their own education. The only thing the Federal government did in that area was to screw it up badly.

Agencies seeing decreased funds in Bush 2007 budget, by percentage:

Corps of Engineers -41.3 Housing and Urban Development -29.9 Education -28.5 Defense -8.7 Environmental Protection Agency -4.9 Interior -2.4 Commerce -2.2 Energy -1.8 Justice -0.6

Agencies seeing increased funds in Bush 2007 budget, by percentage:

State +13.1 Legislative Branch +10.9 Veterans +10.4 Homeland Security +9.8 Treasury +9.2 Judiciary +8.1 Labor +5.5 Social Security +5.2 Transportation +4.9 HHS +3.1 NASA +1.0 Agriculture +0.2

Article is here.

Last edited:
Corps of Engineers? The ones who would help rebuild New Orleans and make sure that things like that won't happen again? Interesting strategy to cut their funding.

Education. Well, I never thought him to be the "education" president."We need to expand education savings accounts. Something that my vice presidential running mate supports. There's big differences. (sic) He won't support freeing local districts from the strings of federal money."-Bush

More money to NASA? Screw that. That department needs to be privatized.

Speaking of which, why is he putting more money into Social Security? Did he give up on privatizing that?

danarhea said:

Corps of Engineers -41.3 Housing and Urban Development -29.9 Education -28.5 Defense -8.7 Environmental Protection Agency -4.9 Interior -2.4 Commerce -2.2 Energy -1.8 Justice -0.6

Defense and Energy definitely should NOT be decreased. In fact, we need MORE spending in those departments. I am quite pleased with the large cuts in Housing and Urban Development and Education.

danarhea said:

State +13.1 Legislative Branch +10.9 Veterans +10.4 Homeland Security +9.8 Treasury +9.2 Judiciary +8.1 Labor +5.5 Social Security +5.2 Transportation +4.9 HHS +3.1 NASA +1.0 Agriculture +0.2

Overall it looks like Bush continues to move toward bigger and bigger government. With the possible exception of Homeland Security, none of these need more money.

shuamort said:
Corps of Engineers? The ones who would help rebuild New Orleans and make sure that things like that won't happen again? Interesting strategy to cut their funding.

Education. Well, I never thought him to be the "education" president."We need to expand education savings accounts. Something that my vice presidential running mate supports. There's big differences. (sic) He won't support freeing local districts from the strings of federal money."-Bush

More money to NASA? Screw that. That department needs to be privatized.

Speaking of which, why is he putting more money into Social Security? Did he give up on privatizing that?

Actually, Bush HAS been freeing the school districts from Federal money, and has been doing it for years. Its called "unfunded mandates".

danarhea said:
Actually, Bush HAS been freeing the school districts from Federal money, and has been doing it for years. Its called "unfunded mandates".
Clarification: The quote I listed was Bush talking about Gore from the 2000 election.

danarhea said:

Bravo! Finally getting rid of the Clinton after school programs that didn't work.

danarhea said:

Article is here.
Nice! Need to throw out NASA though. Give less to the State and more to the Vets.

Dana>> For me, the best part is the healthy increase in funding for veterans. This has been a long time coming.

You do know that spending in the Veterans department has been greatly increased the last 5 years, it is not a long time coming.

Funding for Veterans up 27%, But Democrats Call It A Cut

"Money for Veterans goes up faster under Bush than under Clinton, yet Kerry accuses Bush of an unpatriotic breach of faith.

February 18, 2004"

image002.gif

http://www.factcheck.org/article144.html

Back
Top Bottom