• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Bush to Seek Gay-Marriage Ban in New Term

vauge said:
Source: Yahoo News

[/size][/font]

Let's be honest. This NEVER would have been an issue had the radical, militant, gay lobby IMPOSED THEIR WILL on the American populace by taking their case to the Massachusetts court, instead of the Massachusetts voting body in the form of a ballot.

Gays know full well they will be defeated if the public gets to vote on it.

As long as we allow ourselves to be labeled 'bigot and homophobe' (yawn) we will be muzzled and the gay lobby will continue its legal reign of tyranny.

Bush's quest for an amendment is nothing more than a predictable response to the madness of our arrogant and elitist courtroom occupants.

Strangelove said:
Let's be honest. This NEVER would have been an issue had the radical, militant, gay lobby IMPOSED THEIR WILL on the American populace by taking their case to the Massachusetts court, instead of the Massachusetts voting body in the form of a ballot.

Gays know full well they will be defeated if the public gets to vote on it.

As long as we allow ourselves to be labeled 'bigot and homophobe' (yawn) we will be muzzled and the gay lobby will continue its legal reign of tyranny.

Bush's quest for an amendment is nothing more than a predictable response to the madness of our arrogant and elitist courtroom occupants.

You're a bigot and a homophobe. And full of self-righteous :bs

vauge said:
What will affect me is the demand that I have to endorse it!

I can agree with part of that. It is more than acknowledgement. You have to like it.

Civil Unions would not be enough.

It is sort of like 3% of the population enjoying wasabi smothered raw sushi. It is not enough it is in the buffet like chicken,fish,steak, etc.

The other 97% of the population has to sit with them and choke it down smiling.

Great strides has been made but as a society we have a ways to go before we are ready for that plate.

akyron said:
It is sort of like 3% of the population enjoying wasabi smothered raw sushi. It is not enough it is in the buffet like chicken,fish,steak, etc.

The other 97% of the population has to sit with them and choke it down smiling.
Your analogy doesn't make sense. Since it's a buffet, people can pick and choose what they want to eat. If they don't want to have gay marriage, they don't have to put it on their plate. But since it is there, why not let the people that want it, enjoy it? You don't want it, you don't take it, but why do you feel it's ok to tell people what they can or cannot put on their plates simply because you find it distasteful?

shuamort said:
Your analogy doesn't make sense. Since it's a buffet, people can pick and choose what they want to eat. If they don't want to have gay marriage, they don't have to put it on their plate. But since it is there, why not let the people that want it, enjoy it? You don't want it, you don't take it, but why do you feel it's ok to tell people what they can or cannot put on their plates simply because you find it distasteful?
Absolutely! And the anti gay crowd scream at the top of their lungs how the gays want special rights!, gays want special rights!, gays want special rights! I’m not gay, I got to marry the person I love. How is it special rights to allow gays to marry the person they love? And it not going to effect my marriage if they do. My wife and I won’t be headed to divorce court if Stan and Jim or Sally and Kim get married. And I don’t see marriage as a privilege either. I see it as a right we should all have. You’re an adult you love another adult you should be allowed to married that adult, if you choose.

Strangelove said:
Let's be honest....

Let's be honest...it's political pandering. Bush himself doesn't support a federal ban, he's just doing it because he has to play to his supporters. Politics is more than skin deep.

Pacridge said:
Absolutely! And the anti gay crowd scream at the top of their lungs how the gays want special rights!, gays want special rights!, gays want special rights! I’m not gay, I got to marry the person I love. How is it special rights to allow gays to marry the person they love? And it not going to effect my marriage if they do. My wife and I won’t be headed to divorce court if Stan and Jim or Sally and Kim get married. And I don’t see marriage as a privilege either. I see it as a right we should all have. You’re an adult you love another adult you should be allowed to married that adult, if you choose.
:2bgrin:
Very well said! Imagine what would happen if the law for marriage prevented people from different races or religions to marry? It's no different than preventing Gay people from getting married.

RightatNYU said:
Let's be honest...it's political pandering. Bush himself doesn't support a federal ban, he's just doing it because he has to play to his supporters. Politics is more than skin deep.

:applaud

The truth! The whole anti-gay argument is based on ignorance and prejudice. Associating oneself with it is shameful.

shuamort said:

I disagree. I do not care for the smell of curry. If I am enjoying a steak at my table and someone comes over and sits at my table with curry, I will ask them to move or move myself. (This actually happened to me once in Shang-Hai). Personally I would have found another table to begin with if the shoe were on the other foot.

Rather than screaming discrimination and persecution have a seat at another table. It is a big damned restauraunt.

Maybe that is the problem. Not enough personal space left with 6.5 billion peeps milling around. I sort of admire the old days when we were more concerned with where the next meal was coming from than rather than who was having sex with whom. We do not have enough on our minds when interior decorators get paid more than teachers or US soldiers who are fighting for their lives, your way of life, and your right to pick whatever you like out of the buffet.

What is the difference between Civil Unions and marriage? I am not sure of the specifics and I dont feel like researching it right now. Anyone know off the top of their head? If Civil Unions do not accrue comparable benefits to marriage then I may change my mind about the situation to the point where Civil unions acquire more benefits(Even though I do not want to pay for it via taxes).

akyron said:
I disagree. I do not care for the smell of curry. If I am enjoying a steak at my table and someone comes over and sits at my table with curry, I will ask them to move or move myself. (This actually happened to me once in Shang-Hai). Personally I would have found another table to begin with if the shoe were on the other foot.

Rather than screaming discrimination and persecution have a seat at another table. It is a big damned restauraunt.
Yeah, that's what the country was founded on. If you don't like the British rule of the colonies and taxation without representation, don't revolt, just leave.
akyron said:
Maybe that is the problem. Not enough personal space left with 6.5 billion peeps milling around. I sort of admire the old days when we were more concerned with where the next meal was coming from than rather than who was having sex with whom. We do not have enough on our minds when interior decorators get paid more than teachers or US soldiers who are fighting for their lives, your way of life, and your right to pick whatever you like out of the buffet.
Yeah, just think if the politicians would just allow gay marriage, we could have them focus on more important issues. Instead they feel it necessary to pass bills like DOMA, attempt to pass constitutional amendments, and all that jazz.
akyron said:
What is the difference between Civil Unions and marriage? I am not sure of the specifics and I dont feel like researching it right now. Anyone know off the top of their head? If Civil Unions do not accrue comparable benefits to marriage then I may change my mind about the situation to the point where Civil unions acquire more benefits(Even though I do not want to pay for it via taxes).
There are 1049 federal benefits that one gets upon marriage. These are not available to state run civil unions.

As it sits now, Vermont's civil unions bestow some of the same rights, but things like dissolving the civil union are harder to do than marriage. Anyone can go to Vermont to get married or civilly unioned. As for divorce, that can be dissolved anywhere, for a couple to dissolve their civil union, one of the partners has to live in Vermont for a year.

Of course, there's the portability issue with civil unions, especially since a couple of the amendments passed in the 2004 election disallowed that type of contract to be recognized in the state.

Now, if you're talking about civil unions at a federal level, well, first it would have to trump any state amendments currently voted into power, and then it would have to make sure that all of the 1049 benefits currently proffered would be applicable, then it would have to ensure that all future bills would be inclusive of marriage and civil unions. At that point, wouldn't it be easier to allow same sex marriage.

Right now, there are 3 states which offer same sex unions in one way or another.
Vermont- Allows civil unions currently.
Massachusetts-Allows marriages.
Texas and Kansas-What? Texas? Kansas? Red states? Really? Hehe, yup. Well, kinda. They both have some interesting laws, one is that a person is the sex they are born with. Should a person have sexual reassignment surgery (aka, sex change), they can then marry someone of the same sex they currently are. Example to make it more clear. Victor is born as a boy. Victor decides to become Victoria with a sex change, takes the hormones, grows the breasts, has the penis removed and a new vagina is created in its place. What looks like a woman now with breasts and vagina is still considered a man under Texas law. As such, Victoria can marry a woman.

shuamort said:
Texas and Kansas-What? Texas? Kansas? Red states? Really? Hehe, yup. Well, kinda. They both have some interesting laws, one is that a person is the sex they are born with. Should a person have sexual reassignment surgery (aka, sex change), they can then marry someone of the same sex they currently are. Example to make it more clear. Victor is born as a boy. Victor decides to become Victoria with a sex change, takes the hormones, grows the breasts, has the penis removed and a new vagina is created in its place. What looks like a woman now with breasts and vagina is still considered a man under Texas law. As such, Victoria can marry a woman.

I reeeeeeeealy want that to happen, to see what the reaction would be.

RightatNYU said:
I reeeeeeeealy want that to happen, to see what the reaction would be.
According to this article, two have already happened in Texas.

At least two same-sex marriages now exist in Texas, partly because one member of each is a post-op transsexual.

Back
Top Bottom