• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Bush Signs Bill to Curb Class-Action Suits

Schweddy

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Source: ABC news

WASHINGTON Feb 18, 2005 — As President Bush signed legislation Friday aimed at discouraging multimillion-dollar class-action lawsuits, he made clear he had his sights set on much broader restraints.
Next up, Bush said, should be curbs on asbestos litigation and medical malpractice awards.

"We're making important progress toward a better legal system," he said during an East Room signing ceremony for the class-action bill. "There's more to do."

Surrounded by a bipartisan group of lawmakers, the president hailed the legislation that had been bitterly opposed by consumer groups and trial lawyers but nonetheless attracted some Democratic supporters.
Bush said having federal judges take most large class-action lawsuits away from state courts would "prevent trial lawyers from shopping around for friendly local venues." Under the bill, class-action suits seeking $5 million or more would be heard in state court only if the primary defendant and more than one-third of the plaintiffs are from the same state.

And limiting lawyers' fees in settlements where plaintiffs win product discounts instead of money, the president said, would keep lawyers from reaping "huge pay-outs while the plaintiffs ended up with coupons worth only a few dollars." The law links attorney fees to the coupons' redemption rate or actual hours spent on the case.

"We have agreed on a practical way to begin restoring common sense and balance to America's legal system," Bush said. "The bill will ease the needless burden of litigation on every American worker, business and family."

I think this is well over due. I got a letter a couple months ago about a DVD player I bought 5 years ago that had a class action suit brought against it. It asked me to fill out a pile of paper work and submit it; and I could receive up to $10.00 in compensation. I haven't had any probs with the player they were talking about.

Batman said:
I think this is well over due. I got a letter a couple months ago about a DVD player I bought 5 years ago that had a class action suit brought against it. It asked me to fill out a pile of paper work and submit it; and I could receive up to $10.00 in compensation. I haven't had any probs with the player they were talking about.

Yep, you and every other person that bought one gets $10 while the attorneys that handle the case get 30 million. That's where the problems lie.

Back
Top Bottom