• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Bush says "We Do Not Torture"

TimmyBoy

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
:rofl Bush must be trying to tell a good joke when he says the "US does not torture." How can anybody take him seriously when he opposes a ban on torture in Congress? If we do not torture, then surely Bush would not oppose the bill in Congress banning torture. Bush seems bent on insulting the intelligence of the American people. We'll just let the CIA torture terrorism suspects and create more terrorists in the process. Tell us another lie Bush:

Bush Declares: 'We Do Not Torture' By DEB RIECHMANN, Associated Press Writer
1 hour, 44 minutes ago

PANAMA CITY, Panama - President Bush on Monday defended U.S. interrogation practices and called the treatment of terrorism suspects lawful. "We do not torture," Bush declared in response to reports of secret CIA prisons overseas.

Bush supported an effort spearheaded by Vice President Dick Cheney to block or modify a proposed Senate-passed ban on torture.

"We're working with Congress to make sure that as we go forward, we make it possible, more possible, to do our job," Bush said. "There's an enemy that lurks and plots and plans and wants to hurt America again. And so, you bet we will aggressively pursue them. But we will do so under the law."

Cheney is seeking to persuade Congress to exempt the Central Intelligence Agency from the proposed torture ban if one is passed by both chambers.

Now here is part of the newspaper article that caught my attention. When will the US government faces charges for the attacks on civilians and efficient murder of innocent people? The truth is, the US government won't face such charges for the criminal actions that they have committed. It is because the message that the US government is sending is that might makes right and this is the example the US government sets, and it is the reason why the US government will fail to defeat terrorism with it's present course of action. It is also the reason why some people will follow the example of the US government. I don't see any real justice coming out of these trials. The only way for real justice to come about is when the US government holds itself to the same standards that they hold these terrorism suspects, because the US government is guilty of the same crimes they are putting these individuals on trial for. It is the distorted morality of the "war on terrorism":

On Monday, the Pentagon announced that five additional terror suspects at Guantanamo will face military trials on various charges including attacking civilians and murder. That brought to nine out of about 500 detainees at the facility who have been charged with criminal offenses.

Separately, Sen. Edward M. Kennedy (news, bio, voting record), D-Mass., said Bush's comments in Panama, combined with Cheney's efforts to exempt the CIA from the torture ban, "only demonstrate that the White House learned nothing from Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo."

"This administration has consistently sought legal justifications for harsh techniques," Kennedy said.

Yup, Kennedy hit the nail on the head. Bush didn't learn a damn thing. Abu Ghraib helped to make the Iraqi insurgency stronger just as allowing the CIA to torture will make the terrorists stronger.

TimmyBoy said:
:rofl Bush must be trying to tell a good joke when he says the "US does not torture." How can anybody take him seriously when he opposes a ban on torture in Congress? If we do not torture, then surely Bush would not oppose the bill in Congress banning torture. Bush seems bent on insulting the intelligence of the American people. We'll just let the CIA torture terrorism suspects and create more terrorists in the process. Tell us another lie Bush:

Now here is part of the newspaper article that caught my attention. When will the US government faces charges for the attacks on civilians and efficient murder of innocent people? The truth is, the US government won't face such charges for the criminal actions that they have committed. It is because the message that the US government is sending is that might makes right and this is the example the US government sets, and it is the reason why the US government will fail to defeat terrorism with it's present course of action. It is also the reason why some people will follow the example of the US government. I don't see any real justice coming out of these trials. The only way for real justice to come about is when the US government holds itself to the same standards that they hold these terrorism suspects, because the US government is guilty of the same crimes they are putting these individuals on trial for. It is the distorted morality of the "war on terrorism":

Yup, Kennedy hit the nail on the head. Bush didn't learn a damn thing. Abu Ghraib helped to make the Iraqi insurgency stronger just as allowing the CIA to torture will make the terrorists stronger.

Depends on what the meaning of the word "is"..... oops, I mean "torture", is. :)

Yeah maybe we should give POW's a better life because they are only human beings... that are trying to kill our soldiers.

We do not torture the detainees, like Sadaam tortured his people. Sadaam cut certain genitals off, burned them off, and chopped bodies into pieces. American journalists got their heads sawed off. No one says anything about that. If you call stress positions torture, that just shows how weak you are.

It makes me laugh that you quoted Kennedy:drink

Don't criticize the US on if they do or don't torture prisoners because those SOB's over there would/do the same thing

Paul said:
Yeah maybe we should give POW's a better life because they are only human beings... that are trying to kill our soldiers.

We do not torture the detainees, like Sadaam tortured his people. Sadaam cut certain genitals off, burned them off, and chopped bodies into pieces. American journalists got their heads sawed off. No one says anything about that. If you call stress positions torture, that just shows how weak you are.

Amazing. I'm sorry, Paul, I think you really need to see things a little differently here. So let me get this straight... when any other nation commits torture, it's bad, but when Americans do it, it's deserved? And what makes you so sure that they want to kill your soldiers? Wasn't a high % of Abu Ghraib prisoners eventually released without charge? Yet they were tortured, humiliated, killed and sodomized. So if you're okay with that, then you're no better than Saddam.

Don't criticize the US on if they do or don't torture prisoners because those SOB's over there would/do the same thing

So you wouldn't have a problem with it so long as the enemy is doing it?

It is torture though these "stress posistions" as you so call it. Interesting choice of words I might add.

This is the type of attitude that bothers me. What makes you think that just because one is disgusted by amerians torturing Iraqis, that when terrorists torture our guys we are no less disgusted?

Middleground said:
Amazing. I'm sorry, Paul, I think you really need to see things a little differently here. So let me get this straight... when any other nation commits torture, it's bad, but when Americans do it, it's deserved? And what makes you so sure that they want to kill your soldiers? Wasn't a high % of Abu Ghraib prisoners eventually released without charge? Yet they were tortured, humiliated, killed and sodomized. So if you're okay with that, then you're no better than Saddam.

America does not torture prisoners the way other countries do. How many heads have we cut off?

Nick Berg - Innocent American Contractor in Iraq
http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/2004-05-11-iraq-beheading_x.htm

Paul Johnson - An Innocent Hostage in Saudi Arabia
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,123030,00.html

Maybe you have forgotton already. This is the link to the story for each victim. No photos of the beheadings are on those links, although it was circled on the internet.

Key word Abu Ghraib prisoners release without charge. They heard rumors that those guys were involved in terrorist plots so they took them in to see if they could save American lives. When they realized they knew nothing they let them go. They still had full function of their bodies, we didn't chop limbs off.

These terrorists took Innocent American prisoners in because they were americans to set an example. And to turn some Americans against their own government because they couldn't stand to watch. Some american people are not tough enough to "tough" it out. A little bloodshed and they cry to get the "young kids" out of there.

It is a WAR. We are going to take in prisoners to see what they know, and to see if they tell us something that could save American lives.

Key word Abu Ghraib prisoners release without charge. They heard rumors that those guys were involved in terrorist plots so they took them in to see if they could save American lives. When they realized they knew nothing they let them go. They still had full function of their bodies, we didn't chop limbs off.

Shot a few though. Also made a few suck each others dicks.
America does not torture prisoners the way other countries do. How many heads have we cut off?

Nick Berg - Innocent American Contractor in Iraq
http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/i...eheading_x.htm

Paul Johnson - An Innocent Hostage in Saudi Arabia
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,123030,00.html

Maybe you have forgotton already. This is the link to the story for each victim. No photos of the beheadings are on those links, although it was circled on the internet.
There you go again. What are you trying to make me feel guilty? Perhaps your okay with torture but whatever.

It is a WAR. We are going to take in prisoners to see what they know, and to see if they tell us something that could save American lives.

Oh WE ARE???? OH okay. You can continue torturing prisoners now.

Last edited:
These terrorists took Innocent American prisoners in because they were americans to set an example. And to turn some Americans against their own government because they couldn't stand to watch. Some american people are not tough enough to "tough" it out. A little bloodshed and they cry to get the "young kids" out of there.

Oh americans aren't tough enough is it? Oh I thought it might have been because Bush has depleted all his excuses for his war.

Oh yeah and stop trying to make people feel guilty because its not gonna work. The fact that those innocents died doesn't justify torture.

FinnMacCool said:
Shot a few though. Also made a few suck each others dicks.

There you go again. What are you trying to make me feel guilty? Perhaps your okay with torture but whatever.

Oh WE ARE???? OH okay. You can continue torturing prisoners now.

Suck each others dicks? Show me the facts. Where did you hear this?

I am not trying to make you feel guilty. If you try to fight a war with two sets of rules it turns into Vietnam. If we can't try to get information out of the people we have captured what should we do with them? Ask them if they know anything that could help us and if not let them go?

If terrorists are out there beheading Americans, and we can't even lay a hand on our prisoners we are at a disadvantage. Do you want to win the war or do you want us to pull all our troops release the prisoners causing the Middle East to break down in chaos, 10 times worse than it is now?

Paul said:
If you call stress positions torture, that just shows how weak you are.
You have yet to actually read General Taguba's report for yourself.

Further, consider that Team Bush has redefined torture so that things like electrodes to the genitals, amputations (w/ or w/o anesthesia), beatings of bound prisoners w/ baseball bats, thumbscrews, you know, all the classics of the torture game, are no longer torture. So, we're free to gouge out eyes, break limbs, or, hell even put people on a good old fashioned rack if we like, and it's still not officially torture.

Repubteen said:
Yeah! Damn straight! The US should be just as cruel, inhuman, backassward as the worst countries on the planet. Shining light of human freedom my Aunt Fanny's fat ass. We're just as bad as the worst humanity has to offer. Man, you're so right Repubteen, **** traditional American values and decency. We should be as bloodthirsty and evil as a humans can be.

Simon W. Moon said:
You have yet to actually read General Taguba's report for yourself.

Further, consider that Team Bush has redefined torture so that things like electrodes to the genitals, amputations (w/ or w/o anesthesia), beatings of bound prisoners w/ baseball bats, thumbscrews, you know, all the classics of the torture game, are no longer torture. So, we're free to gouge out eyes, break limbs, or, hell even put people on a good old fashioned rack if we like, and it's still not officially torture.

Yeah! Damn straight! The US should be just as cruel, inhuman, backassward as the worst countries on the planet. Shining light of human freedom my Aunt Fanny's fat ass. We're just as bad as the worst humanity has to offer. Man, you're so right Repubteen, **** traditional American values and decency. We should be as bloodthirsty and evil as a humans can be.

We blow peoples face off, we take their limbs, and leave them screaming in the street, we do a lot of torture on the battle field. It's o.k there, but what ever goes on elsewhere, it should be controlled, and it should meet certain standards. I don't like to set precedent on this, it should be an unknown. I don't want Habib knowing I won't do ****, and that I'm a paper tiger. I want him to fear for his ever loving testicles, when I pull him from his happy hating hiatus.

Back
Top Bottom