• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Bush Rejects Partial Syrian Withdrawal

Schweddy

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Source: ABC news

WESTFIELD, N.J. Mar 4, 2005 — President Bush on Friday flatly rejected any partial withdrawal of Syrian troops from Lebanon, saying he will not accept the kind of "half-measures" Damascus is expected to propose as a compromise.
"There are no half-measures at all," Bush said during an event here on his Social Security proposals. "When the United States and France say withdraw, we mean complete withdrawal, no halfhearted measures."

During a speech Saturday to his parliament, Syrian President Bashar Assad was expected to announce a troop pullback to eastern Lebanon near the Syrian border but not a full withdrawal, according to Syrian and Lebanese officials.

"We need to see action, not words," White House spokesman Scott McClellan said a day ahead of that speech.
A fellow Arab nation, Saudi Arabia, has also called on Syria to pull out. On Thursday, Saudi Crown Prince Abdullah told Assad their relations will suffer if Syria doesn't start soon on a complete withdrawal, a Saudi official said.

Bush welcomed that new pressure, saying he was pleased to hear the same message from Saudi Arabia that has been pressed by a growing list of nations.

"Syria, Syrian troops, Syria's intelligence services, must get out of Lebanon now," the president said. "The world is beginning to speak with one voice. We want that democracy in Lebanon to succeed, and we know it cannot succeed so long as she is occupied by a foreign power and that power is Syria."

When Bush speaks - Syria listens.

When Bush speaks - Syria listens.
LOL! The only people who listen when Bush speaks are a bunch of whacktoides who wouldn't know the truth if it slapped them in the face!
:rolleyes:

"Syria, Syrian troops, Syria's intelligence services, must get out of Lebanon now," the president said. "The world is beginning to speak with one voice. We want that democracy in Lebanon to succeed, and we know it cannot succeed so long as she is occupied by a foreign power and that power is Syria."
I love it! Pay attention Jay, this is history in the making and it is awesome ! :D

Squawker said:
I love it! Pay attention Jay, this is history in the making and it is awesome ! :D
You want me to pay attention? This is not history in the making! This is history repeating itself! The Fuhrer just has a different name, but the same family is involved! :eek:

We want that democracy in Lebanon to succeed, and we know it cannot succeed so long as she is occupied by a foreign power and that power is Syria."
The same can be said for Iraq if wen just changed the name of the Country.

We want that democracy in Lebanon to succeed, and we know it cannot succeed so long as she is occupied by a foreign power and that power is Syria."
The same could be said of Iraq if we changed the name of the Country involved in the occupation!

Jaymo said:
The same could be said of Iraq if we changed the name of the Country involved in the occupation!
Only if you hate the US. We are there to liberate not occupy.

Squawker said:
Only if you hate the US. We are there to liberate not occupy.
'Liberate' obviously has quite a broad definition. We've killed 17,000 civilians, but it's OK because we liberated the country? Can you really call a country liberated when the army of another country patrols its streets?

anomaly said:
'Liberate' obviously has quite a broad definition. We've killed 17,000 civilians, but it's OK because we liberated the country? Can you really call a country liberated when the army of another country patrols its streets?
We have killed 17,000 innocents? How many innocent people did Saddam kill? Do you have that number also, or are you just going to single out the US? Liberate means to "free" and in this case from a brutal dictator. We did that, and our presence is meant to protect the people from terrorist groups that would occupy the country. You can't see the difference?

Source: Yahoo News

Jaymo Said: The only people who listen when Bush speaks are a bunch of whacktoides who wouldn't know the truth if it slapped them in the face!

Perhaps your right. Take a gander at this news snippet.... notice bolded font. Somehow, it is "global pressure" now.

BEIRUT (Reuters) - Syria will start pulling back its forces in Lebanon to the Bekaa Valley Monday, Lebanon said, in the first stage of what Syria says will be a swift two-phased withdrawal of its troops.

"The withdrawal starts tomorrow," Lebanese Defense Minister Abdul Rahim Mrad told Reuters, adding that forces would retreat from northern Lebanon and Mount Lebanon in accordance with the Taif Accord that ended Lebanon's 1975-90 civil war.

Under intense global pressure, Syrian President Bashar al-Assad announced plans Saturday for a complete pullout of troops from Lebanon but said Damascus would still play a role in its neighbor's affairs.

Mrad said Sunday the pullback would start immediately after a meeting in Damascus between the leaders of both countries to approve Assad's withdrawal plan.

The Lebanese press described the plan as a historic move opening a new chapter after 30 years of Syrian domination.

Lebanese greeted Assad's announcement with screams of delight in central Beirut, while opposition figures in Lebanon and European leaders cautiously described the move as positive.

Washington, which says Syrian "support for terrorism" impedes Middle East peace, dismissed Syria's plan as inadequate and reiterated its call for a complete and immediate withdrawal.

"We wake up in Lebanon today to a new political reality, the opening of a new phase in the country's history," As-Safir newspaper said in a front-page editorial Sunday. Al-Mustaqbal daily labeled the announcement "a historic event."

The same ole lame ole rhetoric that took us to Iraq! Here we go again! The Syrians are not adhering to U.N. resolutions in a public forum, in private we say screw the U.N. who needs them? I guess we really do need them so we can justify our global plans. :hm

Squawker said:
We have killed 17,000 innocents? How many innocent people did Saddam kill? Do you have that number also, or are you just going to single out the US? Liberate means to "free" and in this case from a brutal dictator. We did that, and our presence is meant to protect the people from terrorist groups that would occupy the country. You can't see the difference?

Ironically everyday life was better under Saddam, more people had running water and more electricity than now, just people couldn't speak out. Plus when Saddam was in power there was no crazy suicide bombers blowing people up. I somehow think the Iraqi people think of the "liberation" as a mixed blessing at best. Your presence is to protect the people, must say good job, I can say at least Britain is doing better :cool: ! Innocents are dying from the bullets and bombs of both sides.

I never seen the Iraqi people cheer when the US and British came- they just stared (maybe beating a Saddam statue with their slippers, but that has to be expected), not the same as when we liberated France in WW2 - French woman were having sex with our soldiers (all right!). The Iraqis, like all middle-eastern people are very weary of us, they will turn on us eventually - it has to be expected. Don't forget we are the guys raining bombs on them for more than a decade.

The longer the stay, the more the Iraqi people will hate us. Look at Vietnam for an example. Iraq is not free yet, not by a long shot. A nation that has martial law is not free.

GarzaUK said:
Ironically everyday life was better under Saddam
Says the 300,000 men, women, and children found in mass graves.

GarzaUK said:
Plus when Saddam was in power there was
Rape rooms.

I'm saying Batman that the world's only superpower has failed the Iraqi people in some aspects. Freedom is great, but people need clean water to survive lol lol. You have to admit that the Bush Administration has made quite a few mistakes in Iraq. If you can't admit that, your denial and your biaism astounds me. :eek:

GarzaUK said:
I'm saying Batman that the world's only superpower has failed the Iraqi people in some aspects. Freedom is great, but people need clean water to survive lol lol. You have to admit that the Bush Administration has made quite a few mistakes in Iraq. If you can't admit that, your denial and your biaism astounds me. :eek:

Yes there has been mistakes. I would like to see some things handeled very differently. I find it odd that you think people needing clean water is funny. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom