• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Bush push for investment in Science education.

To all: No. I don't want to teach intelligent design, creationism, etc. in the science classroom. I simply want a sentence added into the unit: "This is theory and there are also other theories out there." Personally, I support no theory. Why? My school ignores any speak of the subject in any science class. Too much controversy.

Also, I was advocating a "What IF" scientists in some crazy-weirdness proved that the world was made in 7 days. Not to teach it. Not that it's a scientific theory. Simply, possibilities are endless and the public is hostile to some ideas.

For others, Darwin

Are you trying to imply that one excludes the other? You better be able to prove that weird speculation. Certainly, Christians accept the science of the Scientific Theory of Evolution. Your claims seem bogus, so can you please clarify?

Sorry. I should have added more. Some people believe one or the other definite truth.

For others, Darwin (by the way, his theory is of adaptability, not the evolution theory we think of today) is explanation with backing. Transitive property? Science equals explanation equals religion, which can-or-cannot-equal Darwinism.

Take the whole quote. I meant some people believe, but definitely not scientific fact for most.

You really don't know much about science, do you? You seem rather clueless about what you are trying to criticize here. That is rather insulting to the rest of us who took the bother to actually learn and understand what we are posting about. You owe us the respect of at least know what science is before bashing it.

I know, I'm sorry, I plan to take biology in college next year, I promise. However, my argument wasn't criticizing science, but rather approaching the different ways to look at the issue in order to see how it should be dealt with in the classroom. I think evolution sounds like a plausible theory, but I also don't want to make that judgment too quickly.

your understanding of science is mistaken. science is two things. its a system of gathering knowledge based on the scientific method, and its the body of knowledge that has been collected via that method.

That's my understanding of science. I was simply saying "what if's" in using this method to discover science. Entirely hypothetical.

Christine said:
To all: No. I don't want to teach intelligent design, creationism, etc. in the science classroom. I simply want a sentence added into the unit: "This is theory and there are also other theories out there."
And that would still be a blatant falsehood, demonstrating your ignorance of what "theory" is in science. It is NOT speculation and guesses, it is the END PRODUCT of the Scientific Method. This is when all the data is in and shows consistent results that can predict other outcomes and explain what you can observe. To try to portray this along with "other theories out there" is ignorant and insulting.

What are you going to say about the Scientific Theory of Gravity, the explanation of how Gravity works? That well, it might be invisible angles sitting on our shoulders and keeping us earth-bound by flapping their wings?

And when taught that the Earth is round, should we also waste time talking about the other "theories," such as that the Earth is flat?

Personally, I support no theory. Why? My school ignores any speak of the subject in any science class. Too much controversy.
So per their cowardess, you come ignorant and ill-prepared to the discussion. You think they did you a favor by caving to the fundie liars?

Your school should be sued. Evolution is the foundation for biology and all its derivatives incl. biotechnology and medicine. And they have kept you ignorant, making it substantially harder for you to ever get a job in these fields. F.ex. 20% of the jobs in about 10 years are going to be in the health care industry. And your school is preparing you to pick up road kill instead.

Also, I was advocating a "What IF" scientists in some crazy-weirdness proved that the world was made in 7 days. Not to teach it. Not that it's a scientific theory. Simply, possibilities are endless and the public is hostile to some ideas.
Scientific hypotheses are about "what if?" Scientific Theories are about the evidence.

Sorry. I should have added more. Some people believe one or the other definite truth.
Which again is irrelevant. Science is not about belief, it is about what the evidence shows.

Take the whole quote. I meant some people believe, but definitely not scientific fact for most.
And even as the whole quote, it doesn't make a lick of sense. Darwin proposed a Scientific Hypothesis, not a Scientific Theory. A hypothesis is a suggested mechanism. The evidence comes through the subsequent research. And the stuff about science-explanation-religion, that seems idiotic. So please explain what you actually mean.

I know, I'm sorry, I plan to take biology in college next year, I promise. However, my argument wasn't criticizing science, but rather approaching the different ways to look at the issue in order to see how it should be dealt with in the classroom.
Very simply. If there is scientific evidence, it should be taught. If there is none, then it shouldn't be taught.

I think evolution sounds like a plausible theory,
Irrelevant. What does the evidence say? Have you looked at it?

but I also don't want to make that judgment too quickly.
If you have contrary evidence, then present it.

That's my understanding of science. I was simply saying "what if's" in using this method to discover science. Entirely hypothetical.
And that is great for hypothesis formation. But unless you have evidence against them, the Scientific Theories stand.

Darn, you beat me to it. Yeah, replace theory with hypothesis, I was just speaking with a sciencey friend of mine.

And once again, I don't advocate teaching things with no backing in the science classroom.

Christine said:
Darn, you beat me to it. Yeah, replace theory with hypothesis, I was just speaking with a sciencey friend of mine.
OK.

And once again, I don't advocate teaching things with no backing in the science classroom.
But you also advocate against science in the science class.

Christine said:
To all: No. I don't want to teach intelligent design, creationism, etc. in the science classroom. I simply want a sentence added into the unit: "This is theory and there are also other theories out there."

there are no other scientific theories out there. there are other beliefs, but not theories.

Christine said:

"what if...?" questions arent relevant. you could ask them about every single scientific theory out there.

Christine said:

read these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method
http://wilstar.com/theories.htm

they do a decent job of explaining what science is.

Back
Top Bottom