• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Bush Katrina Video

Re: Bush Lied About Katrina - Video Proof

Leave it to the always obscenely slanted BBC (the only news org. that had to be removed from a warship in the Iraq war due to blatent and persistent propagandizing and extreme editing against the troops) to leave out all relevant context.

The media talked about the levees breaking for days before the storm hit. They treated it as inevitable. This led me to believe there had to be more to this story. The BBC is alleging that Bush claimed AFTER days of levee breach warnings by the media, that no one saw it coming. Doesn't that sound the least bit suspicious?

There is a reason. Bush was responding, in general, to whether or not anyone had ever thought they would see the day when the levees would break. He wasn't acting surprised that KATRINA broke them.

In this country we have privately owned media and it is kept in line as much as possible by consumers. In the UK, they have the highly regulated, nearly government run BBC, because they simplisticly and foolishly think that government regulation improves things. Our media undeniably has a liberal bias, but the BBC is second only to Al Jezeera. EVERY SINGLE STORY, no matter what it is, if it is political, it comes out favoring liberals-usually DESPITE the facts.

Katrina hit 6 months ago and the Loony Left is STILL crying about it?

aquapub said:
Leave it to the always obscenely slanted BBC (the only news org. that had to be removed from a warship in the Iraq war due to blatent and persistent propagandizing and extreme editing against the troops) to leave out all relevant context.

The media talked about the levees breaking for days before the storm hit. They treated it as inevitable. This led me to believe there had to be more to this story. The BBC is alleging that Bush claimed AFTER days of levee breach warnings by the media, that no one saw it coming. Doesn't that sound the least bit suspicious?

There is a reason. Bush was responding, in general, to whether or not anyone had ever thought they would see the day when the levees would break. He wasn't acting surprised that KATRINA broke them.

In this country we have privately owned media and it is kept in line as much as possible by consumers. In the UK, they have the highly regulated, nearly government run BBC, because they simplisticly and foolishly think that government regulation improves things. Our media undeniably has a liberal bias, but the BBC is second only to Al Jezeera. EVERY SINGLE STORY, no matter what it is, if it is political, it comes out favoring liberals-usually DESPITE the facts.

I actually just read fully what you said here. The BBC is second only to al jezeera. Riiiiiigggggghhhhhhttttttt. That's why they were the only news station in the UK to show the Denmark cartoons. I'm sure you don't watch BBc's Jeremey Paxman aggresively interviewing every person regardless of their political alignment. The government does not control the BBC, I'm sure Tony Blair would love it if he did but he doesn't. I've already told you that our media have to operate within boundaries to stop bias. Sky News is owned by Rupert Murdoch (owner of Fox), he would love to turn it into another Fox News, but he can't - the government would stop him. As our result all our news stations are neutral, especially compared to American news.

I'm guessing you watch Fox News. I'm saying that because every time I have watched it they always seem to bash the BBC. I find it funny that Fox news is concerned about a foreign broadcasting company.

As you Americans say "You been drinking the kool-aid?"

This isn't news. We all discussed this right after the hurricane. Bush was informed, in the days leading up to the hurricane, that the levees could break. There wasn't much that could be done at that point. His remark, which was obvious, was to mean he didn't anticipate the levves could break.....until, that is, he was told.

It looks like Bush was warned about the danger of the levees collapsing. It contradicts what he said 4 days after Katrina when he siad "no-one anticipated the breah of the levees.
Tell me something... where in this story or the transcripts does it mention that the levees were in danger of collapsing or being breached??? Look through it and post some quotes.

I don't believe you will find any. The only danger to the levees mentioned in the videoconference, to my knowledge, is the danger of the levees being overtopped by water. There is a very big difference in overtopped and breached.

This of course makes Bush's comments about not anticipating the breach of the levees true.

DivineComedy said:
I don't think any model can tell you with any confidence right now whether the levees will be topped or not but that is obviously a very, very grave concern," Mayfield told the briefing. (Wednesday, March 01, 2006 Associated press) http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,186525,00.html

This is what was actually said: observe the use of the word “anyone:”

“I don’t think anyone can tell you with any uh confidence right now whether the levies will be topped or not…” (Max Mayfield)

Does anybody wish to dispute the use of the word “anyone” in that tape?

"I don't think anybody anticipated the breach of the levees" (George Bush)

Anticipation: “expectant waiting: the feeling of looking forward, usually excitedly or eagerly, to something that is going to happen”
Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
http://www.debatepolitics.com/showpost.php?p=243959&postcount=2

Look at the timeline, folks.

Hurricane was on it's way.

Bush was told the levees could break.

Days later, Katrina hit and the levees broke.

When addressing the press, he said he never anticipated that it could happen.

*I took that to mean, that until he was told it could happen, he didn't anticipate it could happen. What is so hard to understand on this?

GarzaUK said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4765058.stm

It looks like Bush was warned about the danger of the levees collapsing. It contradicts what he said 4 days after Katrina when he siad "no-one anticipated the breah of the levees.

I have been hearing about the dangers of the levees since I was 2 for gods sake. Everyone knew it's possible. probably no more then a matter of time. But knowing that they would break or be breeched sooner or later does not mean it could be anticipated. The truth is under the right circumstances a thunderstorm could breech the levee. But knowing something is possible is a lot different then knowing or predicting when it was going ot happen...

President Bush can't run a war .Now its shown he can't handle a natural disaster either.The real proof of course is the ongoing lousy job the administration is doing on the Gulf coast.Its an absolute shame.

KCConservative said:
Look at the timeline, folks.

Hurricane was on it's way.

Bush was told the levees could break.

Days later, Katrina hit and the levees broke.

When addressing the press, he said he never anticipated that it could happen.

*I took that to mean, that until he was told it could happen, he didn't anticipate it could happen. What is so hard to understand on this?
Absolutely. Bush is a delegator.

The folks that needed to hear this, heard it - but took very little advice from it. It is not Bush's fault. It is part of the brainstoming that goes on before action is taken in any enviorment.

And to think, if Gaven was smart enough to do HIS job within his racist "chocolate town" agenda, then much of this would be water under the bridge (pardon the pun).

JOHNYJ said:
President Bush can't run a war .Now its shown he can't handle a natural disaster either.The real proof of course is the ongoing lousy job the administration is doing on the Gulf coast.Its an absolute shame.

Ya... he should have been out there with some sticks and a shovel holding the levees up and rebuilding hourses.. He obviously sux... (Sarcasm):roll:

vauge said:
Absolutely. Bush is a delegator.

The folks that needed to hear this, heard it - but took very little advice from it. It is not Bush's fault. It is part of the brainstoming that goes on before action is taken in any enviorment.

And to think, if Gaven was smart enough to do HIS job within his racist "chocolate town" agenda, then much of this would be water under the bridge (pardon the pun).

Who is this racist "Gaven" that you speak of ?

This story is on every front page, of every major news paper, and I still for the life of me can not understand what the fuss is about. This story just makes far too many assumptions, and acts as if they can read the presidents mind. It reminds me of the "Downing Street Memo" story all over again. I have never seen such a concerted effort to smear a president, not since Nixon, and even he was not as hated as this president. Is it really about Bush, or does it really speak to the hatred and venom we have grown to enjoy in this country, and around the world for that matter?

I just can't wait until this presidency is over, this country looks almost laughable, and I am ashamed to be part of it some days.:(

I see the republican talking points have been published.

Saying he didn't lie when he said that no one anticipated the levees doesn't make it so. Or, I guess it could depend on what the meaning of "anticipate" is. ;)

:lol:

I
see the republican talking points have been published.

Saying he didn't lie when he said that no one anticipated the levees doesn't make it so. Or, I guess it could depend on what the meaning of "anticipate" is.
Why use talking points when some common sense and a little reading will answer the question.

As I've stated before, no one anticipated the breach of the levees so what Bush said was correct and the truth.

Gill said:
I
Why use talking points when some common sense and a little reading will answer the question.

As I've stated before, no one anticipated the breach of the levees so what Bush said was correct and the truth.

What's up, Gilly Poo?

I've done lots of reading and I think I have some decent common sense. I think he contradicted himself, just like Cheney did when he said that the connection between 9-11 and Iraq was "pretty well confirmed" but then denied he ever said that.

What's up, Gilly Poo?

I've done lots of reading and I think I have some decent common sense. I think he contradicted himself, just like Cheney did when he said that the connection between 9-11 and Iraq was "pretty well confirmed" but then denied he ever said that.
Gilly Poo??? Ok, you're the only one that can call me that without a major fight! ;)

My point is that in the video everyone is talking about in this thread, no one ever mentions the possibility of the levees breaching. Overtopping of the levees, yes.. but no talk of breaches.

I'll leave the Cheney/9-11/Iraq comment for another thread.

Gill said:
Gilly Poo??? Ok, you're the only one that can call me that without a major fight! ;)

LOL I do that to people I like. My boss and I have an excellent rapport. I called him Jeffy Poo in front of someone who I wasn't supposed to, and we could not stop laughing. He told the person in a serious voice, "We have a very professional relationship."

So I mean that endearingly.

My point is that in the video everyone is talking about in this thread, no one ever mentions the possibility of the levees breaching. Overtopping of the levees, yes.. but no talk of breaches.

I need to watch the footage again, but I could see that you could interpret it this way (assuming your facts are true, of course.....) if you review the facts in the light most favorable to the prez.

I'll leave the Cheney/9-11/Iraq comment for another thread.

Cheney is a poo poo head.

Can you tell I am in a silly mood? ;)

aps said:
I see the republican talking points have been published.

Saying he didn't lie when he said that no one anticipated the levees doesn't make it so. Or, I guess it could depend on what the meaning of "anticipate" is. ;)

:lol:

They have been saying the levees could be breached for 30 years.... It's not a huge surprise. Knowingly exactly when however was or is a different story. The same concerns were probably expressed before any and all major storms in the area......

Deegan said:
This story is on every front page, of every major news paper, and I still for the life of me can not understand what the fuss is about. This story just makes far too many assumptions, and acts as if they can read the presidents mind. It reminds me of the "Downing Street Memo" story all over again. I have never seen such a concerted effort to smear a president, not since Nixon, and even he was not as hated as this president. Is it really about Bush, or does it really speak to the hatred and venom we have grown to enjoy in this country, and around the world for that matter?

I just can't wait until this presidency is over, this country looks almost laughable, and I am ashamed to be part of it some days.:(

Deegan I have to disagree with you here. The Bush administration claimed to be taken by surprise when they heard that the levees broke. This info irrefutably contradicts that false claim and shows that the administration was in fact warned before the fact about Katrina. The death toll from Katrina is 1300. It's a huge story.

The saddest part to me in this video is that Bush asked absolutely zero questions during this tape. The image of the president playing his guitar with Mark Willis two days after Katrina hit makes Nero seem like Mother Theresa.

bush-guitar-1.jpg

Contrast that with the Clinton era where FEMA employees used to play a game to see if they could let FEMA director James Lee Witt know of a possible situation before Clinton did.

The coverage of the Downing Street memo is just the opposite. If you ask the average Joe six-pack, I doubt he has ever heard of it. The MSM dropped the ball on what should have been a major story of Bush manipulating the facts to support the forgon conclusion to go to war in Iraq.

Deegan I have to disagree with you here. The Bush administration claimed to be taken by surprise when they heard that the levees broke. This info irrefutably contradicts that false claim
FOR THE FOURTH TIME!!
Where in the video of this conference is it mentioned by anyone that the levees could break??

Calm2Chaos said:
Ya... he should have been out there with some sticks and a shovel holding the levees up and rebuilding hourses.. He obviously sux... (Sarcasm):roll:

The Proof Like I said is that 6 months after the storm and it still looks like WWII. Bush and the Republicans have absolutly no excuse for their inability. To get things fixed.

hipsterdufus said:
Deegan I have to disagree with you here. The Bush administration claimed to be taken by surprise when they heard that the levees broke. This info irrefutably contradicts that false claim and shows that the administration was in fact warned before the fact about Katrina. The death toll from Katrina is 1300. It's a huge story.

The saddest part to me in this video is that Bush asked absolutely zero questions during this tape. The image of the president playing his guitar with Mark Willis two days after Katrina hit makes Nero seem like Mother Theresa.

bush-guitar-1.jpg

Contrast that with the Clinton era where FEMA employees used to play a game to see if they could let FEMA director James Lee Witt know of a possible situation before Clinton did.

The coverage of the Downing Street memo is just the opposite. If you ask the average Joe six-pack, I doubt he has ever heard of it. The MSM dropped the ball on what should have been a major story of Bush manipulating the facts to support the forgon conclusion to go to war in Iraq.

I really think Bush thought what everyone thought, including the people who either failed to leave, or could not. I never thought as I watched the news, and as this storm approached, that the levee's would break, and an American city would flood. It was shocking, it was unexpected, and it was not known until the very minute that the levee's indeed broke, that the worst had happened. I also noticed the Brownie, you know, they guy you love to hate, was indeed one of the very few who thought it was almost certainly going to be " a big one, and a bad one" are you now ready to apologize to him? Or are you now using him when it's convenient, only to toss him away later?

I think the president honestly thought we were prepared, we're the United States Of American for cris sake, I don't blame him exclusively, nor should anyone rational. This was a failure on all levels, and we have learned from this, but we will forget these important lessons if we merely blame one man, one administration, we just can't afford to do that IMHO!

Back
Top Bottom