• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Bush Katrina Video

The Proof Like I said is that 6 months after the storm and it still looks like WWII. Bush and the Republicans have absolutly no excuse for their inability. To get things fixed.
You're joking right?? Do you expect everything to be rebuilt in 6 months?? You obviously have no conception of what it takes to rebuild after a storm like this. They are barely getting the debris cleared at this point.

It takes time to write specifications to rebuild infrastructure, bid it and then get it built. I am involved in this so I know what I'm talking about. The biggest problem with getting anything done on the coast is housing workers. There is absolutely no where to stay within 100 miles of the Miss. gulf coast or New Orleans. We are involved in a huge contract to rebuild I-10 and the general contractor is going to build a huge subdivision of houses for the workers to live in while the roads and bridges are under construction. They will then sell the houses.

It all takes time. If you had ever been involved in storm damage repairs, especially one of this magnitude, you would be amazed at the progress that's already been made.

Deegan said:
I also noticed the Brownie, you know, they guy you love to hate, was indeed one of the very few who thought it was almost certainly going to be " a big one, and a bad one" are you now ready to apologize to him? Or are you now using him when it's convenient, only to toss him away later?

It's ironic that Brownie may have been the most competent one of the lot, and that's not saying much. Either way, he had no qualifications to head up FEMA.

hipsterdufus said:
It's ironic that Brownie may have been the most competent one of the lot, and that's not saying much. Either way, he had no qualifications to head up FEMA.

You could say that about thousands of government officials over the years, this is hardly a new revelation.:rofl

Go vote in my poll, I think the man was doing his job, and you, me, all of us owe him an apology. He was asked by the president to do a job, I think he tried, and we took a big S**T on him for it, that's the sad reality!

Gill said:
FOR THE FOURTH TIME!!
Where in the video of this conference is it mentioned by anyone that the levees could break??

Don't expect a response. ;)

There is a liberal columnist I was reading today and she even called this a non-story because she said the storm hit at a category 3 (which could never have broken the levees) and everyone figured that was the worst of it. It then escalated to a cat. 5. She said that Bush wasn't claiming to be surprised; he was expressing actual surprise that the storm escalated at the last second.

As usual, the story is hardly the zinger it's being made out to be once you remove the liberal hype. You can't really blame Democrats for trying to manufacture outrage about any and every breath Bush takes, though. They've lost six elections in a row; people continue to reject their ideas year after year; they're desperate. :lol:

I guess we're just supposed to accept that-after the media showed us all those diagrams and talked about the levees breaking for days before the storm hit-Bush was somehow acting surprised about the levees AFTER the storm hit. I guess we're not supposed to remark on the absurdity of that timeline. :roll:

This story is a case of erroneous liberal talking points getting way more attention than they deserve.

Tell me something... where in this story or the transcripts does it mention that the levees were in danger of collapsing or being breached??? Look through it and post some quotes.

Partial transcript of August 28th teleconference:
http://www.nytimes.com/packages/pdf/national/katrinatranscript0828partia.pdf

"On the west side of the track, this is very, very complicated. You know there's a very complex system of levees there in the New Orleans area. Some of the valleys that we see -- and I'm sure that all of these areas are already going under water out near the mouth of the Mississippi river. The colors that you see here show inundation over the land areas.

One of the valleys here in Lake Poncetrain, we've got on our forecast track, if it maintains its intensity, about 12-1/2 feet of storm surge in the lake. The big question is going to be: will that top some of the levees? And the current track and the forecast we now have suggest that there will be minimal flooding in the city of New Orleans itself, but we're - we've always said that the storm surge model is only accurate within about 20 percent.

If that track were to deviate just a little bit to the west, it would -- it makes all the difference the world. I do expect there will be some of the levees over top even out here in the western portions here where the airport is. " (pages 5-6)

"I don't think any model can tell you with any confidence right now whether the levees will be topped or not. But that's obviously a very, very grave concern." (page 6)

I find it hilarious to read the George Bush apologists on this board try to spin this. The funny thing is, they take their talking points straight out of Foxnews/Hannity/O'Reilly. As soon Foxnews gives the talking points they all start spouting it out on these boards.
Wake up people - you are being snowed. There is no reason to continually apologize for this man. He is a failure. He has driven our country to moral and financial bankruptcy. I realize that most of you are one issue voters that will continue to apologize for everything else Bush does....but at some point even you have to accept that enough is enough.

vandree said:
Partial transcript of August 28th teleconference:
http://www.nytimes.com/packages/pdf/national/katrinatranscript0828partia.pdf

"On the west side of the track, this is very, very complicated. You know there's a very complex system of levees there in the New Orleans area. Some of the valleys that we see -- and I'm sure that all of these areas are already going under water out near the mouth of the Mississippi river. The colors that you see here show inundation over the land areas.

One of the valleys here in Lake Poncetrain, we've got on our forecast track, if it maintains its intensity, about 12-1/2 feet of storm surge in the lake. The big question is going to be: will that top some of the levees? And the current track and the forecast we now have suggest that there will be minimal flooding in the city of New Orleans itself, but we're - we've always said that the storm surge model is only accurate within about 20 percent.

If that track were to deviate just a little bit to the west, it would -- it makes all the difference the world. I do expect there will be some of the levees over top even out here in the western portions here where the airport is. " (pages 5-6)

"I don't think any model can tell you with any confidence right now whether the levees will be topped or not. But that's obviously a very, very grave concern." (page 6)
You must've missed the REST of the post you responded to this post...Here it is again...

Gill said:
Tell me something... where in this story or the transcripts does it mention that the levees were in danger of collapsing or being breached??? Look through it and post some quotes.

I don't believe you will find any. The only danger to the levees mentioned in the videoconference, to my knowledge, is the danger of the levees being overtopped by water. There is a very big difference in overtopped and breached.

This of course makes Bush's comments about not anticipating the breach of the levees true
There was NO MENTION of the levees being breached...just "overtopped"...

Do you understand the difference between the two?...If not, try this...

Fill a glass with water...then keep filling it until it overflows...little messy ain't it?

Now fill another glass with water, but instead of making it overflow, take a hammer and smash the glass...

A hellova lot more messier, ain't it?...:2wave:

So you want to play word games, like say "it depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is"?

More revisionist history this tape was sent out to the media the day before Katrina struck in an attempt to get Nagin to evac the city. The people on the tape said that no one could say with any certainty that the levees would break but that NO should play it safe and evac, and what he said a week later was the exact same thing, that no one could have known for sure that the levees were going to break.

KCConservative said:
Bush was told the levees could break.

Nope.........

No where does it say there is a danger of them being BREECHED. And that is EXACTLY what Bush said two days later, no one thought they would be BREECHED. Once again the media proves it's incompetence and the Dems prove their willingness to use the suffering of many for their political gain.

aps said:
I see the republican talking points have been published.

Saying he didn't lie when he said that no one anticipated the levees doesn't make it so. Or, I guess it could depend on what the meaning of "anticipate" is. ;)

:lol:

Those who say Bush was wrong or lying are the ones who are lying. The briefing was quite clear, they were worried the levies would be TOPPED not breeched. There is a BIG difference. Had they been topped the damage would not have been near what it was and the pumps could have pumped out the water within a few days. I have traveled New Orleans for years and been through floods there many times, even waking up one morning looking out my motel window to see my car under water. BREECHING as happened is an entirely different matter and that's NOT what the warning was.

This is a diservice to the country to protray it otherwise. The media once again shows it's willingsness to outright LIE in order to undermine the Bush adminsistration.

When the cheif of FEMA comes to specifacally warn the president that the levees are going to break, you do something. You don't just sit there asking no questions, and claim that everything is going to be allright.

Che said:
When the cheif of FEMA comes to specifacally warn the president that the levees are going to break, you do something. You don't just sit there asking no questions, and claim that everything is going to be allright.

And when that ever happens then what should he do? The fact is no one thought the levees would BREAK. The fact is Bush pleaded with people to put thier families first and seek high ground. The fact is the head of the National Hurricane Center in that same video told the President that the flooding should be MINIMAL. The fact is it is the responsbilibly of the city, parrish and state official to take care of their citizens NOT the federal government.

This whole issue has been bogus from the start and too many people have fallen for it hook line and sinker.

Stinger said:
No where does it say there is a danger of them being BREECHED. And that is EXACTLY what Bush said two days later, no one thought they would be BREECHED. Once again the media proves it's incompetence and the Dems prove their willingness to use the suffering of many for their political gain.

he said that they weren't prepared well enough.

Dude what the hell are you talking about? The dems are the ones who want to investigate the failure in this beauracracy to bring justice to the victims who have lost everything. You can stop defending him and realize that
he's an utter failure. He flew right over New Orleans and didn't stop for a second to think about trying to help the people who were victimized by this administration's incompetence.

Che said:

Dude what the hell are you talking about? The dems are the ones who want to investigate the failure in this beauracracy to bring justice to the victims who have lost everything. You can stop defending him and realize that
he's an utter failure. He flew right over New Orleans and didn't stop for a second to think about trying to help the people who were victimized by this administration's incompetence.

It's not just Bush, it's conservative philosophy that's failing. If Katrina were a loose nuke, or a biological weapon instead, we would see the same kind of gross incompetence. Meanwhile, back in bizzaro land Faux and Fiends would be trying to blame it all on the Mayor of insert nuked city here

Che said:

He said they could have been better prepared, as vanilla a statement one could make.

Dude what the hell are you talking about? The dems are the ones who want to investigate the failure in this beauracracy to bring justice to the victims who have lost everything.

:rofl JUSTICE? What on earth are you talking about? Bush was suppose to go and move all their belongs for them or something?

You can stop defending him and realize that

That's not his job, that was the job of the local authorties. The Federal Government ASSIST in those efforts. I live here, went through it DUDE. Evacuated twice in the last year, like those in New Orleans should have and just as Bush pleaded with them to do.

hipsterdufus said:
It's not just Bush, it's conservative philosophy that's failing. If Katrina were a loose nuke, or a biological weapon instead, we would see the same kind of gross incompetence. Meanwhile, back in bizzaro land Faux and Fiends would be trying to blame it all on the Mayor of insert nuked city here

So this ludicrious analogy is all you're left with? I have lived through hurricanes all my life. The Feds are no the first responders nor the rescuers. The first failings were the local and state authorities who refused to issue a mandatory evacuation, the second the people who failed to take care of themselves and the vast majority of those who stayed could have gotten out but they choose not to and then blame everyone else for their misery. They were fully warned.

Stinger said:
So this ludicrious analogy is all you're left with? I have lived through hurricanes all my life. The Feds are no the first responders nor the rescuers. The first failings were the local and state authorities who refused to issue a mandatory evacuation, the second the people who failed to take care of themselves and the vast majority of those who stayed could have gotten out but they choose not to and then blame everyone else for their misery. They were fully warned.

I'll let your lack of compassion for 1,300 dead people speak for itself. In New Orleans they'll be looking for 300 or so missing bodies tomorrow. Why don't you go down there and tell the families: You were fully warned.

Heartless..

If I'm president, I tell every Governor and/or Mayor to immediately issue a mandatory evacuation. I also have the National Guard and Reserves there to assist with the evacuation. I'm close to the situation, but out of harms way, to take control of the situation.

I'm not playing the gitar with some good ole boy. Yee Haw!

Last edited:
hipsterdufus said:
I'll let your lack of compassion for 1,300 dead people speak for itself.

Oh I have compassion for them, but it doesn't not excuse their own decissions to stay, and doesn't give them the right to pass blame to someone else.

In New Orleans they'll be looking for 300 or so missing bodies tomorrow. Why don't you go down there and tell the families: You were fully warned.

They know that already, what I would tell them next time leave else end up like your realitives.

Heartless..

Practical. I live here on the Gulf Coast, I had major damage during Ivan, and George. I left, I took care of my family. I didn't go around and try to blame anyone.

If I'm president, I tell every Governor and/or Mayor to immediately issue a mandatory evacuation.

Well Barbour and Riley didn't need to be told and Bush begged Blanco to but she refused till it was too late.

I also have the National Guard

Well you have to be governor to do that.

and Reserves there to assist with the evacuation.

You don't need them to help evactuate. I evacuated twice in the last year without the assistance of anyone federal, there was not ONE federal person or agency there evacuating us.

1000 buses under the control of liberals at every level of government-NOT USED.

Early warnings about the Superdome arrangement to liberals at every level of government-unheeded.

35 years of warnings about the structural stability (FROM FEMA and others) of the levees to liberals at every level of government-unheeded.

Bush's early warnings to evacuate the city immediately-despite NO CALLS for evacuation from liberals at every level of government-disregarded.

Democrats at every level of government in this state dropped the ball over at every junction, and now Democrats want to twist Bush's surprise about the storm going from a cat.3 to a cat.5 at the last second, making it sound like he was acting unaware of the levee danger?

BUSH was the ONLY one at ANY level of government doing anything to save people. BUSH was the ONLY one who DID seem to understand the levee danger.

Jesus, are you people ever honest or accurate?

Aqua:

You are listening to way too much of Sean Hannity. Let me give you a clue.....Hannity almost always gets his facts wrong. Further, he is an entertainer not a serious newsman.

aquapub said:
1000 buses under the control of liberals at every level of government-NOT USED.

Early warnings about the Superdome arrangement to liberals at every level of government-unheeded.

35 years of warnings about the structural stability (FROM FEMA and others) of the levees to liberals at every level of government-unheeded.

Bush's early warnings to evacuate the city immediately-despite NO CALLS for evacuation from liberals at every level of government-disregarded.

Democrats at every level of government in this state dropped the ball over at every junction, and now Democrats want to twist Bush's surprise about the storm going from a cat.3 to a cat.5 at the last second, making it sound like he was acting unaware of the levee danger?

Can you ever provide a point without bashing liberals and democrats? I'm just curious. You criticized me for not "making acutal points" in my thread about Bush's low approval rating. Do you call the above post of yours indicative of "making points"?

Are you this partisan in your real life? Do you pontificate to your friends about how must you dislike/hate liberals and democrats? Do you have any friends who are liberals/democrats?

aps said:
Can you ever provide a point without bashing liberals and democrats? I'm just curious. You criticized me for not "making acutal points" in my thread about Bush's low approval rating. Do you call the above post of yours indicative of "making points"?

Are you this partisan in your real life? Do you pontificate to your friends about how must you dislike/hate liberals and democrats? Do you have any friends who are liberals/democrats?

Aps. I wished Aqua a happy birthday. His and mine are the same. He didn't return the compliment. That says alot in my opinion of what character he is.

disneydude said:
Aqua:

You are listening to way too much of Sean Hannity. Let me give you a clue.....Hannity almost always gets his facts wrong. Further, he is an entertainer not a serious newsman.

I have fact checked the claims of Al Franken (and others) against his for a research project at my university. Hannity is very reliable with his facts. YOU are misinformed.

Incidentally though, the FACTS I mentioned were learned without Hannity's help, thank you.

The school buses? A national story. Anyone who watches the news will verify that over a thousand buses were not used by the liberals who run every level of that government.

35 years of warnings? A matter of record. Look it up.

The cat. 3 vs cat. 5 point? I got that from a LIBERAL columnist.

Bush's early warning? Liberals NOT calling for evacuations? You can get news transcripts that confirm this from MSNBC, CNN, anywhere.

Nice try. Baseless assertions and dishonest smears will not get you anywhere with me.

Like I said, YOU are clearly the misinformed one here. ;)

Back
Top Bottom