• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Bush is a Freaking Racist

DeeJayH

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewNation.asp?Page=\Nation\archive\200512\NAT20051214b.html

Statistics released by the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals suggest that fewer than half of the victims of Hurricane Katrina were black, and that whites died at the highest rate of all races in New Orleans.

so much for Bush Blew up the levees to kill blacks
or failed to respond quick enough for the same reason
when are blacks going to stop following 'leaders' that only divide people and portray their race as victims

DeeJayH said:
http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewNation.asp?Page=\Nation\archive\200512\NAT20051214b.html

so much for Bush Blew up the levees to kill blacks
or failed to respond quick enough for the same reason
when are blacks going to stop following 'leaders' that only divide people and portray their race as victims
Its the storm? Kanye West was the one that made the claim.
"The storm also did not discriminate based on gender. Fifty percent of the victims were male and 49 percent were female, with 1 percent being undetermined."
The racists want to make it a race thing, when it doesn't have to be.

Interesting that the media showed nothing but blacks wading through the waters and swarming the streets. I'm not in anyway denying the findings of that study, just taking a shot at the liberal media.

My view on the whole thing?

I don't care what race you are, if you didn't leave, you were STUPID. It's not like Katrina popped up within a matter of hours. They had DAYS of advance warning.

Didn't have a car? Should've bummed a ride with a neighbor.

Couldn't do that? Well, you should've started walking....one of the news channels, I can't remember which, actually showed people doing that...not sure how far they were able to get, but something tells me that some kind soul most likely picked them up at some point.....

Point being, no one was as helpless as they want us to think. I feel bad that so many people lost their homes and all, but come on now.

My beef with the media on this? That they focused so much on New Orleans. New Orleans was really only screwed because their levees sucked. Go take a look at Biloxi and Gulfport....I lived in Biloxi for 8 1/2 months while I was in tech school....it wasn't the greatest place, but I cried as I saw so many familiar things in ruins.....

Stace said:

I don't care what race you are, if you didn't leave, you were STUPID. It's not like Katrina popped up within a matter of hours. They had DAYS of advance warning.

Couldn't do that? Well, you should've started walking....one of the news channels, I can't remember which, actually showed people doing that...not sure how far they were able to get, but something tells me that some kind soul most likely picked them up at some point.....

Point being, no one was as helpless as they want us to think. I feel bad that so many people lost their homes and all, but come on now.

My beef with the media on this? That they focused so much on New Orleans. New Orleans was really only screwed because their levees sucked. Go take a look at Biloxi and Gulfport....I lived in Biloxi for 8 1/2 months while I was in tech school....it wasn't the greatest place, but I cried as I saw so many familiar things in ruins.....

Agreed 100%. Many underestimated the hurricane and paid for it with their lives. As for media coverage, yeah, Biloxi got flattened and that normally would have been the top headline for weeks but when a major U.S. city is flooded and looting is rampant, THAT'S a story.

Anarchist said:
Agreed 100%. Many underestimated the hurricane and paid for it with their lives. As for media coverage, yeah, Biloxi got flattened and that normally would have been the top headline for weeks but when a major U.S. city is flooded and looting is rampant, THAT'S a story.

It is a story in its own right.....But I think Biloxi deserved a LOT more coverage than what they got.....I was hard pressed to even find pictures worth a darn that weren't repeats of what I'd already seen.....

Stace said:

I don't care what race you are, if you didn't leave, you were STUPID.

Being stupid is not a reason for a death sentence. And most of them couldn't afford an education of any sort, so yes, I suppose they were stupid. What of it?

Stace said:
It's not like Katrina popped up within a matter of hours. They had DAYS of advance warning.

But most of them didn't realize the severity of it. If you had been told to evacuate for previous hurricanes and it turned out to be false alarms, you might not leave either, especially if you didn't have more than minimal access to the news.

Stace said:

This just shows that you have no idea how impoverished New Orleans is.

Stace said:

If you're walking you aren't going to get more than maybe 15 miles per day. And why would you think that any "kind soul" would have picked them up? Would YOU pick up a strange, poor, black guy? I know I wouldn't.

Stace said:

Biloxi and Gulfport were not completely underwater for weeks.

Kandahar said:
Being stupid is not a reason for a death sentence. And most of them couldn't afford an education of any sort, so yes, I suppose they were stupid. What of it?

No, it's not a reason for a death sentence....and last time I checked, public school was still free.

But most of them didn't realize the severity of it. If you had been told to evacuate for previous hurricanes and it turned out to be false alarms, you might not leave either, especially if you didn't have more than minimal access to the news.

Hmmm.....the fact that it was all we heard about pretty much as soon as it formed....stayed steady at a Cat 4/5 for days and days....yeah, I'd say that's a pretty good indication that you need to get the heck outta Dodge. Minimal access to the news? I'm sure they saw newspaper headlines, even in passing. Caught snippets of the news somewhere. Seeing some of their neighbors packing up coulda been a big clue as well.

And that has to do with what, exactly?

If you're walking you aren't going to get more than maybe 15 miles per day. And why would you think that any "kind soul" would have picked them up? Would YOU pick up a strange, poor, black guy? I know I wouldn't.

Umm....I can walk a mile in 15 minutes. And that's not power walking, either, though I'll give 'em a half hour for argument's sake. They could have gone further than 15 miles a day if they wanted to. And if they'd have left two, even three days in advance, that's still a good 30-45 miles, which is nothing to scoff at. Better than being in the middle of town.

And hey, my husband has a truck. Could've fit a few people in the bed of it to get 'em somewhere safe. Strange black guy or not, I do have some compassion. I'm not some uppity racist white bitch.

No, they weren't, but just about everything there was destroyed. Again, New Orleans was not destroyed because of the storm tearing up everything in sight....New Orleans was flooded because their levees sucked. The destruction in New Orleans was nowhere near as bad as what I saw in Biloxi.

I mean, really.....is this what you'd want to come home to?

Attachments

• 3457955923232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E234%3C%3D%3A64%3D%3A3%3A%3DXROQDF%3E2323%3A76%3B9%3B3%3A5ot1lsi.jpg
    3457955923232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E234%3C%3D%3A64%3D%3A3%3A%3DXROQDF%3E2323%3A76%3B9%3B3%3A5ot1lsi.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 4
Kandahar said:

Umm... My unit once had a road march and we marched 30 miles in 12 hours... stopping for rest every 2 miles after the halfway point... with 25 pound rucksacks and military weapons ranging in weight from 9 lbs (M-4) to 30 lbs (60MM mortars/M249 machine guns)........

Im certain some dude could walk more than 15 miles in a day carring the burden of his own weight... ... and if he was poor, he probably couldn't be that heavy since he can't afford to be fat.

Stace said:
No, it's not a reason for a death sentence....and last time I checked, public school was still free.

And inner-city public education makes you less stupid? :roll:

Stace said:
Hmmm.....the fact that it was all we heard about pretty much as soon as it formed....stayed steady at a Cat 4/5 for days and days....yeah, I'd say that's a pretty good indication that you need to get the heck outta Dodge. Minimal access to the news? I'm sure they saw newspaper headlines, even in passing. Caught snippets of the news somewhere. Seeing some of their neighbors packing up coulda been a big clue as well.

To many of these people, this was just another hurricane warning. Many of them had left for hurricanes in the past, and nothing had happened. If they didn't follow the news very much, there was not much reason to expect that this would be different.

Try to look at this from their perspective at the time, rather than your hindsight about what you think YOU would have done.

Stace said:
And that has to do with what, exactly?

Just pointing out that "bumming a ride from your neighbor" is almost as laughable an idea as driving themselves. Many people living in inner-cities don't have a car, nor know anyone who does.

Stace said:
Umm....I can walk a mile in 15 minutes. And that's not power walking, either, though I'll give 'em a half hour for argument's sake. They could have gone further than 15 miles a day if they wanted to. And if they'd have left two, even three days in advance, that's still a good 30-45 miles, which is nothing to scoff at. Better than being in the middle of town.

Would you have been willing to forgo three days of wages if you were poor, to walk for several hours a day, for no reason other than a vague notion that a big storm was heading your way?

Stace said:
And hey, my husband has a truck. Could've fit a few people in the bed of it to get 'em somewhere safe. Strange black guy or not, I do have some compassion.

Hey, whatever helps you sleep at night. But I'm being realistic that I wouldn't pick up a strange black guy, and you aren't.

Stace said:
I'm not some uppity racist white bitch.

Let's skip this part, unless you want to get banned.

Well if Bush is a racist, then what does that make Blanco? As the governor of Louisiana, she should have called for the mandatory evacuation with more than 24 hours to go before landfall. True, people can leave of their own volition, BUT, isn't her job to look out for the citizens of her state? She had buses, didn't use them.

I've never had to stare down a category 5 hurricane, however, knowing as much about them as I do, it would have been a done deal. New Orleans wasn't even a direct hit. They were spared the eyewall, which for those that don't know or don't care, is the MOST dangerous winds of the entire storm. Mississippi took the eye directly, hence it's being leveled.

Blanco was ill prepared, and she should be ashamed of herself. As for Kanye West's claim's that anyone was racist, I guess he should consider the source, eh? Black or white, people died. Black or white, people lost their homes. Black or white, Katrina didn't care.

Kandahar said:

Ahh Orleans and Jefferson parish's both, like everywhere else, offer free public education.

The severity was fully broadcast and known for days. I have evacuated twice in the past year and watched this storm just a close and only decided not to evacuate when it was clear it would hit the New Orleans area.

And it shows you have no idea of how many cars were there and flooded out. There were tens of thousands of cars left. I just was there and they are all over the place and there is a constant stream of wreckers hauling them out of the city to junk yards. Most poor people have cars, many have two.

Hardly matters since for the most part they are entirely gone.

Stinger said:
Most poor people have cars, many have two.

Can they afford the gas to make a long trip? No. Do their cars function properly? Most do not. I do not believe Bush is a racist. But these people could not get out. They can't hitch a ride with a neighbor. If you believe that they could you are not well informed. Even if they could drive out, look what happened in Texas with the traffic jams. Many would run out of gas there.

What happens if the people tried to walk away and couldn't make it. Most people are not in shape, and suffer from malnutrition. Some of you are asking these people to pull off a miraculous journey everytime there is a hurricane warning. What happens if the people don't make it and are outside during the hurricane? They have no shot of making it.

Anarchist said:
Interesting that the media showed nothing but blacks wading through the waters and swarming the streets. I'm not in anyway denying the findings of that study, just taking a shot at the liberal media.
Really? I saw a lot of whites wading through the media. In fact, I remember quite the kerfluffle in one media calling a white person "finding" something and a black person "looting" something. I guess selective memory for some.

Caine said:
Umm... My unit once had a road march and we marched 30 miles in 12 hours... stopping for rest every 2 miles after the halfway point... with 25 pound rucksacks and military weapons ranging in weight from 9 lbs (M-4) to 30 lbs (60MM mortars/M249 machine guns)........

Im certain some dude could walk more than 15 miles in a day carring the burden of his own weight... ... and if he was poor, he probably couldn't be that heavy since he can't afford to be fat.

Plus, an impending cyclone kinda adds a sense of urgency.

Obviously though, families with small children or elderly relatives would've found it much harder to leave than healthy adult singles.

vergiss said:
Plus, an impending cyclone kinda adds a sense of urgency.

Obviously though, families with small children or elderly relatives would've found it much harder to leave than healthy adult singles.

This is true.

Kandahar said:
And inner-city public education makes you less stupid? :roll:

Well, it makes you "less stupid" than someone that doesn't attend school at all. Your education is what YOU make of it.

To many of these people, this was just another hurricane warning. Many of them had left for hurricanes in the past, and nothing had happened. If they didn't follow the news very much, there was not much reason to expect that this would be different.

Try to look at this from their perspective at the time, rather than your hindsight about what you think YOU would have done.

Um....yeah. I've been through CAT 4 storms before....and we've had to evacuate. Went through a hurricane while I was in Mississippi a few years ago, too....they almost had to evacuate us, but it became a sissy storm.

Just because they evacuated in the past and nothing happened doesn't mean they're going to be that lucky every time.

Just pointing out that "bumming a ride from your neighbor" is almost as laughable an idea as driving themselves. Many people living in inner-cities don't have a car, nor know anyone who does.

Really? Then what was up with all of those abandoned cars? Yeah, sure, where were they going to get the gas money, etc....Well, gas prices weren't quite so bad before the storm, so I'm sure they could have put in enough gas to get far enough away to be safe.

Would you have been willing to forgo three days of wages if you were poor, to walk for several hours a day, for no reason other than a vague notion that a big storm was heading your way?

Let's see here...not get paid for a few days, or live? :roll:

Hey, whatever helps you sleep at night. But I'm being realistic that I wouldn't pick up a strange black guy, and you aren't.

Really? I'm not being realistic? You don't know me, so please don't act like you do. You have NO idea of what I would or would not do.

Stace said:
Well, it makes you "less stupid" than someone that doesn't attend school at all. Your education is what YOU make of it.

Whatever. You still haven't explained how "You're stupid if you didn't leave" is any justification for anything at all, other than a cheap shot at poor people.

Stace said:
Um....yeah. I've been through CAT 4 storms before....and we've had to evacuate. Went through a hurricane while I was in Mississippi a few years ago, too....they almost had to evacuate us, but it became a sissy storm.

Just because they evacuated in the past and nothing happened doesn't mean they're going to be that lucky every time.

No ****. But many of them assumed that they would be.

Stace said:
Really? Then what was up with all of those abandoned cars? Yeah, sure, where were they going to get the gas money, etc....Well, gas prices weren't quite so bad before the storm, so I'm sure they could have put in enough gas to get far enough away to be safe.

Abandoned cars don't mean that everyone in New Orleans had a car or knew someone who did. Most of the people who had cars got out of New Orleans just fine.

You have obviously never seen a poor person in your life. You might as well suggest that they all just hop in their choppers and fly to their winter homes.

Stace said:
Let's see here...not get paid for a few days, or live? :roll:

Let's see here...Monday-morning quarterbacking, or being rational? :roll:

Stace said:
Really? I'm not being realistic? You don't know me, so please don't act like you do. You have NO idea of what I would or would not do.

Simple human nature. If you were driving on a jam-packed highway and saw some people walking, who fit the typical "profile" of a criminal, you know damn well you wouldn't stop to pick them up even if you won't admit it here. At best, you'd assume "someone else will pick them up" just like every other driver would.

Kandahar said:
Whatever. You still haven't explained how "You're stupid if you didn't leave" is any justification for anything at all, other than a cheap shot at poor people.

No ****. But many of them assumed that they would be.

Abandoned cars don't mean that everyone in New Orleans had a car or knew someone who did. Most of the people who had cars got out of New Orleans just fine.

You have obviously never seen a poor person in your life. You might as well suggest that they all just hop in their choppers and fly to their winter homes.

Let's see here...Monday-morning quarterbacking, or being rational? :roll:

Simple human nature. If you were driving on a jam-packed highway and saw some people walking, who fit the typical "profile" of a criminal, you know damn well you wouldn't stop to pick them up even if you won't admit it here. At best, you'd assume "someone else will pick them up" just like every other driver would.

You know, I'm entitled to my opinion, just as you are entitled to yours.

But now you're just making assumptions about me, and everyone knows what happens when you assume.

Stop attacking my opinions and stick to the actual issue, please. You have yet to add anything to this other than trying to pick apart every little thing I say. So how about adding your actual thoughts on the situation?

Stace said:
You know, I'm entitled to my opinion, just as you are entitled to yours.

But now you're just making assumptions about me, and everyone knows what happens when you assume.

Stop attacking my opinions and stick to the actual issue, please. You have yet to add anything to this other than trying to pick apart every little thing I say. So how about adding your actual thoughts on the situation?

OK. Getting back to the subject of the thread.

1. Bush is not a racist. He has the most inclusive cabinet in history and I've never seen any indication that he has any sympathy for racism.

2. The government on every level ****ed up bigtime during Hurricane Katrina.

3. It's ridiculous to blame the people of New Orleans for not leaving prior to the hurricane.

Kandahar said:
OK. Getting back to the subject of the thread.

1. Bush is not a racist. He has the most inclusive cabinet in history and I've never seen any indication that he has any sympathy for racism.

2. The government on every level ****ed up bigtime during Hurricane Katrina.

3. It's ridiculous to blame the people of New Orleans for not leaving prior to the hurricane.

Even though I agree that he is NOT ( I repeat NOT) a racist...
I do have to wonder why he has yet to meet with the NAACP people.
And the only reason I wonder this is because the media likes to mention it.
And the only reason they like to mention it is.. it gets them viewers..lol.

But seriously, why hasn't he met with the NAACP?
And....
Why is it such a big deal that he hasn't???

Caine said:
Even though I agree that he is NOT ( I repeat NOT) a racist...
I do have to wonder why he has yet to meet with the NAACP people.
And the only reason I wonder this is because the media likes to mention it.
And the only reason they like to mention it is.. it gets them viewers..lol.

But seriously, why hasn't he met with the NAACP?
And....
Why is it such a big deal that he hasn't???

I don't think it's a big deal that he hasn't, and frankly I can't say that I blame him. If I was president, I don't think I would be too excited about meeting with an organization where 90+ percent of its members voted for my opponent, and many of whose leaders have overtly accused me of racism. That's not to say that the NAACP is a bad organization, but I can certainly understand Bush's reluctance/refusal to meet with them.

Bush doesnt have a say reguardless. His people however, in the government, just dont care about the problems of the lowerclass or the many blacks who also happen to be a part of the lowerclass.

Im over blaming Bush for things, hes just a mouth peice. I dont think he is responsible for half of these things on his own, but he is still just as bad for going along with it!

Kandahar said:
dont know what school you went to
but none of mine ever taught me to evacuate if a hurricane comes
it is called self-preservation, it is not taught in schools
you either have it, or your DNA is eliminated from the gene pool :2wave: buh-bye
survival of the FITTEST
not the most educated, not the strongest, but the Fittest
being stupid enough to stay in a hurricane at that category of a storm, in a city that is below sea level, has nothing to do with level of education
I have met many brilliant college educated people who are just as clueless as the poor, uneducated fool
they may know their field inside and out, but they have no clue about the real world and survival in it

Kandahar said:
I don't think it's a big deal that he hasn't, and frankly I can't say that I blame him. If I was president, I don't think I would be too excited about meeting with an organization where 90+ percent of its members voted for my opponent, and many of whose leaders have overtly accused me of racism. That's not to say that the NAACP is a bad organization, but I can certainly understand Bush's reluctance/refusal to meet with them.

Your wrong... the NAACP is a bad organization.. well, in my eyes.
They might have had good intentions at one point... but now it seems that they are just looking for reasons to speak out, the execution of Tookie was an excellent example. I am still curious as to why Jackson was there, with his NAACP people. "Oh, they are executing a black man like they told them they would 25 years ago, lets go stop whitey!"

Get off it, its a tired organization that doesn't have a purpose anymore, except to stir up hateful race relations.

Back
Top Bottom