• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bush: "I probably won't even vote for McCain."

Catz Part Deux

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
So is he no longer an idiot? :ssst:

I don't believe that's changed. I consider making this statement in front of our british allies and members of the british media to be pretty idiotic.

But nice try at a strawman...

What do you think Bush was thinking?

McCain was GWB's direct opponent in the Republican primary in 2000. The enemy of my enemy is my friend?

McCain was GWB's direct opponent in the Republican primary in 2000. The enemy of my enemy is my friend?

That doesn't make any sense, because they weren't competing for anything at this point. If anything McCain, and Bush were on the same team. I find Bush's comment rather strange to be honest.

That doesn't make any sense, because they weren't competing for anything at this point. If anything McCain, and Bush were on the same team. I find Bush's comment rather strange to be honest.

He's out of the game - I'm sure he could care less and is probably relieved.

Next thing we know he'll be support Prop-19!!

If it's true, heads are exploding all over the place.

I'm sure Mccain had to distance himself from the Bush administration during, but even before, the election campaign. Maybe Bush resents him for that.

I don't. It was politics of the day. He couldn't any more endorse then Sen. Obama anymore than Pres. Obama could endorse any Republican candidate. But what GW Bush is saying here is he merely favored one candidate - Obama - over the other - McCain, likely because both share similar social/political views. Doesn't mean they'd go about achieving the objectives of their agendas the same way, but as many people have already stated many of Pres. Obama's policies/views are very identical to those of GW Bush's. Both try to govern from the center when possible or practical.

You know what, I hope the former president stays a little bit in the spotlight. I mean, just think of the funny quotes we would get out of it. You thought he said crazy crap while he was in office, just wait and see what he says when he doesn't have a full staff restraining him :lol:

it's also apparently not true. which isn't too surprising; this sort of thing isn't the kind of stuff you just lah-de-dah blurt out to visiting foriegn dignitaries.

Former President George W. Bush is denying a report that he once said he would have endorsed Barack Obama in 2008 if the Democrat had asked.

“This is ridiculous and untrue,” Bush spokesman David Sherzer told POLITICO. “President Bush proudly supported John McCain in the election and voted for him.”...

So would this make obama the new bush? :)

Bush: “I probably won’t even vote for McCain” | Westminster Blog: The latest on UK politics | FT.com

Money Quote:

Yeah. Read that one a few times until it sinks in. Bush would have endorsed Obama, were it not for political constraints.

Probably had a lot more to do with his low opinion of McCain, than any great love for Obama.

Bush has conducted himself with presidential dignity since leaving office, particularly in honoring the custom of not criticizing his successor. I think that speaks well of his personal character.

I don't believe that's changed. I consider making this statement in front of our british allies and members of the british media to be pretty idiotic.

But nice try at a strawman...

What do you think Bush was thinking?
So you have degrees from Harvard and Yale? Nope? Well if Bush is an idiot and you cannot even be accepted to either school much less graduate, what does that make you?

Unpriveleged. I thought the right was supposed to hate the elitists.
Fell free to return to that MO.

You know what, I hope the former president stays a little bit in the spotlight. I mean, just think of the funny quotes we would get out of it. You thought he said crazy crap while he was in office, just wait and see what he says when he doesn't have a full staff restraining him :lol:

Just think what Obama would say without his handlers and teleprompter to read from. Just think, Obama is called a genius by the left but I never remember Bush having to reply solely on a teleprompter to give a speech. And godforbid something goes wrong while Obama is speaking. God only knows what the moron would say.

I think many politicians are constrained by political requirements, forced onto them by both necessity to survive in politics and the binary way most people think about politics. Politicians are people too and many of them start off in politics as staffers or because they genuinely believe in one thing or another, and I believe if people didn't force party names to mean everything than politicians would be more honest.

First, the quote doesn't indicate that he'd prefer Obama to McCain. At most it suggests he wasn't a fan of McCain enough to have voted for him and would've supported Obama had he been asked as he was asked to do for McCain.

Second, as already stated, it apparently is being disputed it was actually even stated.

Third, as an aside, I really have to give Bush credit. He and his administration have been getting publicly flogged for 2 straight years since Obama has taken over and in every interview I've seen or read from him while doing the tour for his book people have tried to get him to take pot shots at Obama and he has refused or avoided it every time, which to me shows his honest care and principle with regards to demeaning the seat of the Presidency.

it's also apparently not true. which isn't too surprising; this sort of thing isn't the kind of stuff you just lah-de-dah blurt out to visiting foriegn dignitaries.

Former President George W. Bush is denying a report that he once said he would have endorsed Barack Obama in 2008 if the Democrat had asked.

“This is ridiculous and untrue,” Bush spokesman David Sherzer told POLITICO. “President Bush proudly supported John McCain in the election and voted for him.”...

I was wondering myself why anyone believed this, considering...

From the OP link...
“I probably won’t even vote for the guy,” Bush told the group, according to two people present.“I had to endorse him. But I’d have endorsed Obama if they’d asked me.”
Anyone ever hear the word hearsay? Seems when liberals run with hearsay, it's Gospel. If a Conservative had run with hearsay like this, they would immediately be labeled liars.

Back
Top Bottom