• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Bush for 3 terms?

Never going to happen. It would take a lot longer than 2008 to get that amendment changed anyway to help Bush.

hes got a mandate. By the way he stole the last 2 elections at this point he already has started his dynasty. Ive got a bumper sticker that says bush/chaney 400 more years.

You know what, I'd be glad if he actually started pushing for it. Then it'd show how much of a power-craved psycho he really is. Only those who wish only for more power would never put down a chance to get more power.

It's all fun and games until reality rears its ugly head...

CLINTON CALLS FOR CHANGE
TO 22ND AMENDMENT
Wants to Modify Presidential Term Limits

(Washington, D.C.) — While speaking at the John F. Kennedy Library and Museum yesterday, former President Bill Clinton announced that Congress should change the 22nd Amendment that limits a president to two terms.

"I think since people are living much longer . . . the 22nd Amendment should probably be modified to say two consecutive terms instead of two terms for a lifetime," Clinton said.

Stacie Rumenap, executive director for U.S. Term Limits, responded to Clinton's comments: "By term limiting the president of the United States, the 22nd Amendment provides that no matter how much power a given chief executive may gather, there's a definite limit on how long he may wield it. At a maximum, a fresh face and a fresh perspective will be brought to the White House every eight years."

While Clinton said such a change "probably" wouldn't apply to him he didn't rule out the possibility of a future run.

http://www.termlimits.org/Press/Press_Releases/20030529.html

Arch Enemy said:
You know what, I'd be glad if he actually started pushing for it. Then it'd show how much of a power-craved psycho he really is. Only those who wish only for more power would never put down a chance to get more power.

Now who were you talking about again??????

How many members of the Bush administration does it take to change a light bulb?

1. One to deny that a light bulb needs to be changed;

2. One to attack the patriotism of anyone who says the light bulb needs to be changed;

3. One to blame Clinton for burning out the light bulb;

4. One to arrange the invasion of a country rumored to have a secret stockpile of light bulbs;

5. One to give a billion dollar no-bid contract to Halliburton for the new light bulb;

6. One to arrange a photograph of Bush, dressed as a janitor, standing on a step ladder under the banner: Light Bulb Change Accomplished;

7. One administration insider to resign and write a book documenting in detail how Bush was literally in the dark;

8. One to viciously smear #7;

9. One surrogate to campaign on TV and at rallies on how George Bush has had a strong light-bulb-changing policy all along;

10. And finally one to confuse Americans about the difference between screwing a light bulb and screwing the country.

http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/jokes/bljokebushlightbulb.htm

I completely, and always have, supported ousting the 22nd... By giving a President unlimited terms, he is always subjected to what is popular in the country. Right now you see the President supporting unpopular decisions, which at times I think is necessary. However, because the President doesn't have to worry about another term he isn't so greatly bound to the wills of his constituency, which is also, at times, necessary.

However, even if this did pass before 2008, I HIGHLY doubt the President could even dream of winning re-election...

wow, this has been spun out of control. Bush isnt the only president who has tried to repeal this amendment and this new effort is sponsored almost entirely by Democrats. he isnt doing this for his own personal gain as much as he's doing it because he genuinely believes it should be done away with.

i always thought it would work well to have a president serve non-consecutive, but unlimited, 6 year terms. that way they actually put their energy into doing their job instead of spending their first four years preparing for the next election.

You are talking about something that would have to not only pass both houses of Congress, but would also have to be ratified by 3/4 of the states. It wont happen, and even if it did, the days of the Bushnevik faction are already numbered, as a backlash of Conservatives has already begun against him.

I expect that, in 2008, you will see a big difference in Republican ideology and the Republican platform. In fact, the Republican position is now morphing before our very eyes. Even Bill Frist is changing his position in many ways, as he considers a run himself. Although opposed to stem cell research initially, he has now come out in favor of it, a major defection from Bush policy.

In addition, the GOP is very worried about the Bush reverse coattail effect. Bush's numbers are now the lowest of any president in History, lower than Nixon during Watergate, and even lower than Harding's.

If 3 terms are ever allowed (and I still maintain that it wont happen), you wont see any Neocon running successfuly for the nomination in 2008, nor during any conceivable presidential year thereafter. Bush has pretty much screwed screwed the party. Responsible Republicans are scrambling now to prevent a Democratic backlash, and takeover in 2008. If they move fast enough, I think they can prevent it, but the Bushneviks wont be a part of that effort. They are now discredited, and the Bush administration will go down in history as the worst ever.

I don't like Clinton either. So I guess I was talking about him as well.

Maybe we should change the 22nd Ammendment so it gives them a life-time.. just like the supreme court! Then we should add another Ammendment abolishing the other 2 Branches and giving the President those powers. Then we should add another one to formally change the name of "President" to "Emperor".

/end sarcasm

FinnMacCool said:
I dunno man. Don't you think people will start a revolt or something if he actually pushes that through? haha

Yea, I can't help but feel that ole Georgie has a "trick" up his sleeve. He might say that it's un-practical or even asine to change Presidents during wartime, I don't know. But if he does stay in office, it will bring forth the wrath of the American people like Never before. They'll throw him and his crooked entourage out of the White House so quick his head will spin!

kal-el said:
Yea, I can't help but feel that ole Georgie has a "trick" up his sleeve. He might say that it's un-practical or even asine to change Presidents during wartime, I don't know. But if he does stay in office, it will bring forth the wrath of the American people like Never before. They'll throw him and his crooked entourage out of the White House so quick his head will spin!
I was looking for one of those tinfoil hat smilies, but there isn't one.

Georgie should just come right out and declare himself king of the United States.

I actually started to write a whole opening speech for Bush as new King of the United States, but I deleted it.

Last edited:
Billo_Really said:
How many members of the Bush administration does it take to change a light bulb?

1. One to deny that a light bulb needs to be changed;

2. One to attack the patriotism of anyone who says the light bulb needs to be changed;

3. One to blame Clinton for burning out the light bulb;

4. One to arrange the invasion of a country rumored to have a secret stockpile of light bulbs;

5. One to give a billion dollar no-bid contract to Halliburton for the new light bulb;

6. One to arrange a photograph of Bush, dressed as a janitor, standing on a step ladder under the banner: Light Bulb Change Accomplished;

7. One administration insider to resign and write a book documenting in detail how Bush was literally in the dark;

8. One to viciously smear #7;

9. One surrogate to campaign on TV and at rallies on how George Bush has had a strong light-bulb-changing policy all along;

10. And finally one to confuse Americans about the difference between screwing a light bulb and screwing the country.

http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/jokes/bljokebushlightbulb.htm

:rofl Umm, if Bush changed the 22nd ammendment i would leave the country. Plain and Simple. By then we would be invovled in another war with some other country. I would be a prime draft candidate, and my complete incompitence in shooting a gun would mean im toast.

though i think with many people's mindset about Bush nowadays, he wouldn't be elected a third time. not to mention the smeer campaign the democrats would run.

no FinMacCool, type it! it will be hilarious!

Keepstar1331 said:
:rofl Umm, if Bush changed the 22nd ammendment i would leave the country. Plain and Simple. By then we would be invovled in another war with some other country. I would be a prime draft candidate, and my complete incompitence in shooting a gun would mean im toast.

though i think with many people's mindset about Bush nowadays, he wouldn't be elected a third time. not to mention the smeer campaign the democrats would run.

This post shows ignorance. First of all, President Bush can't change the constitution. In fact, the President has no legal role in the amendment process other than the fact that he can advocate as can any other U.S. citizen.

It would have to be passed by Congress and then be ratified by 38 states, something that liberal site linked to in the first post doesn't tell you (not that you would expect the truth or something from a site like that.)

Here's the kicker, FOUR of the five sponsors of the Joint Resolution in the House are DEMOCRATS!!!!

:2rofll: :2rofll:

Piece of advice to anti-Bush democrats. Do your own research rather than depend on leftist websites. It will same you some embarassment in the end.

Too bad there is no "egg on face" emote available. Mods, can you work on that one?

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c109:1:./temp/~c109qDWqeQ::

1st Session

H. J. RES. 24
Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to repeal the 22nd amendment to the Constitution.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

February 17, 2005
Mr. HOYER (for himself, Mr. BERMAN, Mr. SENSENBRENNER, Mr. SABO, and Mr. PALLONE) introduced the following joint resolution; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JOINT RESOLUTION
Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to repeal the 22nd amendment to the Constitution.

Resolved by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled (two-thirds of each House concurring therein), That the following article is proposed as an amendment to the Constitution of the United States, which shall be valid to all intents and purposes as part of the Constitution when ratified by the legislatures of three-fourths of the several States within seven years after the date of its submission for ratification:

`Article --

`The twenty-second article of amendment to the Constitution of the United States is repealed.'.

http://clerk.house.gov/members/inter_mem_list.html?statdis=MD05

Steny H. Hoyer

Maryland-5th, Democrat
1705 Longworth HOB
Washington, DC 20515-2005
Phone: (202) 225-4131

http://clerk.house.gov/members/inter_mem_list.html?statdis=CA28

Howard L. Berman
California-28th, Democrat
2221 Rayburn HOB
Washington, DC 20515-0528
Phone: (202) 225-4695
http://clerk.house.gov/members/inter_mem_list.html?statdis=WI05

F. James Sensenbrenner Jr.
Wisconsin-5th, Republican
2449 Rayburn HOB
Washington, DC 20515-4905
Phone: (202) 225-5101
http://clerk.house.gov/members/inter_mem_list.html?statdis=MN05

Martin Olav Sabo
Minnesota-5th, Democrat
2336 Rayburn HOB
Washington, DC 20515-2305
http://clerk.house.gov/members/inter_mem_list.html?statdis=NJ06

Frank Pallone Jr.
New Jersey-6th, Democrat
420 Cannon HOB
Washington, DC 20515-3006
Phone: (202) 225-4671

everyone bashes the republican party.

I find the republican party isn't much of a party, infact, I think the partys over.

I'm beginning to see the fact that most of the republican party does not agree much with bush anymore, and other certain select members of the party.

I'm also beginning to see that because of this, bush tags on things to bills that are REALLY needed to be passed to help out troops in Iraq. he did this with the patriot act.

Keepstar1331 said:

obviously most people still arent getting this. Bush isnt interested in repealing the 22nd for his own benefit.

FiremanRyan said:
obviously most people still arent getting this. Bush isnt interested in repealing the 22nd for his own benefit.

No truer words have been spoken...

This thread is another "venom runs through my veins" thread...

It's already been debunked, but the "movement" must carry on...facts notwithstanding...

cnredd said:
No truer words have been spoken...

This thread is another "venom runs through my veins" thread...

It's already been debunked, but the "movement" must carry on...facts notwithstanding...

Agreed!

FACT: Four of the five co-sponsors of the joint resolution in the House are DEMOCRATS, not Republicans.

Another knee-jerk liberal myth debunked by your friendly conservatives at Debate Politics.

Originally Posted by ludahai:
Another knee-jerk liberal myth debunked by your friendly conservatives at Debate Politics.
Care to comment on the nations that are joining forces against the US due to Bush's foreign policy decisions.

FiremanRyan said:

Listen, I may be gullible, but I'm not that easily-swayed alright. Like I said before, I was born at night, but not last night. You're insulting my intelligence by saying this.

Back
Top Bottom